“Modern and Chic!”

Hotel Riu Palace Peninsula
Ranked #22 of 176 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Arrival: Upon arrival we were greeted with drinks. We checked in before 3pm and our rooms were not ready. This was fine but the room we paid for was not available; the difference was we got a queen beds vs a king bed. The front desk did attempt to accommodate us and give us a king upgraded to an ocean view. But due to a misunderstanding between my husband and I we never moved. Side note: Others seem to have a lot of problems with the booking of rooms as well for some reason!

Hotel: Was very modern and clean and I enjoyed the fresh flowers every where which were so beautiful.

Rooms: Very modern and clean and I enjoyed the towel animals that were created each day. The only downfall with the room was that the bathtub was rusted out and I was afraid to get in it, but it was so cute. The TV was updated but couldn't figure out how to load my USB or SCD card once plugged in. We changed the settings but it never worked out. I wish the bathroom had a vent because I almost died in there. (LOL TMI) If you gotta go keep the door open no ventilation! Of course we enjoyed the liquor dispenser and the mini fridge with beer, water and soda. And lastly the shower was clogged but was fixed immediately. Whenever we had a problem it was solved immediately and followed up with a phone call.

Room Service: Was very quick and delicious. The chocolate cake was the bomb.com!

Shows: Were fun and entertaining especially the rock and roll show. I also enjoyed the band after the shows. The bands vocalist was very entertaining and i enjoyed his dance moves.

Bars: The bars were designed very nice and for the most part the staff was very friendly. So I can't wait to give a shout out to Meli & Jose at the Cabana bar; Gerado, Gilberto, and Diego at the Pool bar. They were so fun and friendly and kept us entertained and full of very good drinks. Diego was my very favorite and was hilarious.

Beach: The beach was cool and sure it was small compared to others but served it's purpose for me as I can't swim anyway. So I enjoyed being able to float out there. Downfall here was the rocks so be careful! Shout out to the lifeguard who patched up my toe whose name I cannot remember.

Pool: Was very nice. Swimup bar cool.

Food: Was good but I did read where nothing changed and it didn't. I ate the same thing every day and that's no fun. We didn't get a chance to go to Krystal's this time around but we did eat at the Japanese restaraunt on the last night which was so good! Shout out to Leo for showing my husband and I how to use chopsticks. If you want a late night snack head over to the sports bar for a hot dog. I liked it after drinking when i was hungry.

Would I visit this Riu again? Yup.
Did I have a good time? Yup.

Oh lastly I read where someone got food poisoning and this did not happen to me. But then again to be safe we took pepto chewables every day before eating. I only threw up once but that was due to all of the tequila. Ha ha.

One last thing bring your own change for tips as the front desk no longer offers change. Some of the staff can provide you with change in some cases. They work hard all day so most of them really deserved a tip for it!

Disco: It would be cool to have a place on site to dance if you don't want to hangout with the youngsters in party center. Or if they could turn the area where the shows are given into a place to dance with a DJ a couple of times a week.

Room Tip: I would choose the Villas next time because it is adult only. I read a review stating it was far fr...
5  Thank Tarra A
There are newer reviews for Hotel Riu Palace Peninsula

Reviewed February 24, 2013

First time in cancun for a holiday stayed for two weeks I July 2012 not long after the opening but long enough that any problems had been resolved.Do not let any unscrupulous travel agent try to get you to pay for an upgrade to an ocean view as all rooms have this so you will feel like a right lemon if you fall for this and will probably put you in a mood from the get go.
Now most Americans who read this will start of in disbelief as to the duration of our stay but in the UK we get much longer vacation time than most of you,therefore the problem you will have with booking the speciality resteraunts we did not encounter as we could wait the 3 days for each resteraunt booking time.We went down each morning at 08.30 hrs to book each resteraunt you are only allowed to book one reservation per day but a smile and manners go a long way.The resteraunt reservation desk is next to the main reception.On our arrival we were met with a nice cold fruit cocktail and given our wrist bands to say that we were on all inclusive.The check in was very quick and the staff helpful and polite explaining about the hotels facility's and the resteraunt options also giving us three cards we would need to exchange for our towels each day.We had a junior suite on the 9 floor 3 rd room from the end furthest from the lounge bar.The room was perfectly acceptable very clean and practable the furniture could be better but the bed was very comfortable and for those who can not make do without an alcoholic drink for to long this problem has been solved by the vodka,tequila,brandy and Bacardi on optics in your room also provided is a fridge stocked with water and soda.This leaves you with the moral dilemma of do you fill your soda bottle with above mentioned spirits and take home as souvenirs?
What beach there is is quite rocky with only a small stretch of uninterrupted sand,the view was enhanced by the addition of the Denver Broncos cheerleaders doing a calendar shoot while we were there.I think they were in bikinis but was not paying that much attention.We hired jet skis for $ 60 on site but found they are only $50 for the same hire period two hotels down.
The hotels location is a bit out of the way for the main entertainment area of downtown cancun but becauses of this you tend to get a older clientele apart from the cheerleaders tried to photo bomb a few times told to shift.Entertainment around the pool was loud and constant from 11 o'clock onwards this was not for us but was appreciated by those who wanted to participate in the games provided one thing we where not in Jamaica so why so much reggae music?The vast majority of guests are from America (Texas) and Mexico itself funnily enough.
It's worth getting down to the lobby bar early to watch Jose stock the bar you will understand when you meet him,the plane the plane,he is great and make the best drinks just ask him for something special not of the cocktail menu and he will suprise you with a beautiful refreshing alcoholic drink.
The main buffet resteraunt serves a huge range of food and you should be able to find at least one selection that you like my problem was that I liked them all.You should keep in mind that a buffet has to prepare food to the taste of the majority of its clientele and as such do not expect a lot of seasoning to have been used.If you want it spicer then ask and it will be done for you.We tried all of the themed resteraunt and decided that the best were the steak house for Amealican ,that's amazing and off course,his two favourite things to say he was so funny and looked a bit like a young John Cleese not only was he very funny intentional or not but he was also an excellent waiter nothing was to much trouble the steak and king crab are ok aswell .Also the oriental resteraunt was very good the selection you had was not huge but tasted great.We tended to eat in the Italian resteraunt for lunch nice fresh pasta cooked al dente how it should be.
We never bothered with the entertainment on the night much but it was on a loop if you are there for two weeks you are going to see the same act twice in some cases.Speaking of the night time entertainment if you have been fortunate enough to have been able to afford the condos then go and see all of the acts as you will not be going to sleep until they have Finnished as these are located right next to the night time entertainment.
We have stayed in riu hotels in main land Spain and the canaries islands and this hotel is far superior .The only issue we had with the hotel was the poolside music and entertainment but I suppose that was us as this our first hotel holiday in 7 yrs as we usually stay in our holiday home in Spain .In short if we had the money to do it again we would but bring along an iPod

Room Tip: Stay as far from the condos as possible
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank David P
Reviewed February 24, 2013

My boyfriend & I stayed at the Riu Palace Peninsula the third week of February 2013. We honestly don't have anything bad to say about this resort but because the reviews were so crucial in my decision making I'm going to be as objective as possible.

The hotel itself is absolutely gorgeous, we had almost no wait for check in & were greeted with a fabulous drink upon arrival. Our room was on the second floor but the view was still out of this world & we ended up being grateful for the short elevator trips. The artwork on the floors are really fun & festive. The lobby is kept at a pretty chilly temperature which was a deterrent for us to hang out in the lobby bar since we had mostly warm weather clothing on all the time.

The liquor may have been watered down & of course it's all inclusive so it doesn't really matter, but I have Crohn's Disease so I usually try to put as little in my body as possible so I kept ordering every thing with extra liquor. I honestly was so happy with the food, everything we had was delicious & with my condition I am such a finicky eater & had so many choices at every meal, the breakfast buffet had just about anything you could possibly imagine for breakfast. We ate at the Italian Restaurant twice & the food was so good, I had the shrimp linguine both times & was impressed at how flavorful the shrimp was. You do have to make reservations about a day or two in advance so the only specialty restaurant we ate at was the steakhouse & again I was so impressed at how wonderful the food was. We ate the buffet one night for "International Night" & the set up was very fancy & had a fine dining feel even though it was a buffet.

As I'm sure you'll read the beach is indeed rocky but we didn't feel like this was enough of a reason not to stay at this fabulous resort, we went swimming in the ocean & hung out on the beach everyday & you just have to be a little careful where you walk, but by the beach bar they have an easy access entrance just like any other beach. There is no food available beach/pool side & the bathrooms are a pretty far walk away.

We were really surprised at the amount of children staying at the resort, there were A LOT of kids, more families than anything else. We enjoyed though watching the little ones run around & be cuties, but the older children we felt weren't watched enough by their parents & were just in the way. One day there were about 10 children in the swim up bar which I thought was ridiculous cause there are 3 other pools that they could swim in, I would strongly recommend they enforce that the pool bar be adults only. I did see that the villas were adults only & the villas have their own restaurant & pool so if you're like us & aren't a huge fan of kids you may want to consider the villa an option.

Now my boyfriend & I both traveled to Cancun right after high school & did the whole "Cancun party thing" so now that we're in our late twenties we were aiming for a more relaxing laid back vacation. If however you are going for a party atmosphere this is definitely not the place for you, like I said it's mostly older couples or families, the pool bar shuts down around 8 & the only bar open past 12 is the sports bar & there's no club or anything on sight.

We added a day trip on the Dancer Catamaran when we booked our trip, it's a day cruise with a water slide on the boat that has all inclusive drinks, fabulous fajitas for lunch, takes you snorkling, to the Mayan Ruins & Isla Mujeres plus the staff is fabulous & so much fun, I would really recommend this to anyone.

The resort is SO clean & every time I turned around someone was cleaning something, our room was made up spotless every day & the maids left adorable towel creatures on the bed which made us excited to come back to our room. The bed was super comfy & large & the AC kept it very comfortable at night. We loved the jacuzzi tub in the room & the big stand up shower.

They resort has entertainment every night, a little show for the kids around 8:30 then a show for the adults around 9-9:30 which is great cause it gives you something to do without having to leave the resort, they have a great drink menu including different wines, beers & top shelf liquors. I also enjoyed that the 24 hour bar had snacks available all day so I could bring a sandwich or a fruit cup up to bed with me in case I got hungry.

I really cant not say enough about the staff at the Riu Palace Peninsula, every single person we encountered was so friendly, helpful & just genuinely interested in making your stay as enjoyable as possible. Notable staff members include Daniella at the front desk, Roberto in the Italian restaurant, Diego at the pool bar (who got my boyfriend more drunk than I have been able to in 4 years! lol), Javier the beach waiter & Alejandro the buffet waiter who remembered everything about my boyfriend & I and anticipated our needs before we could even ask.

We would 100% return to this resort & were sad to leave. At least once a day we commented on how impressed by everything we were & what a great value for our money it was.

7  Thank Kate C
Reviewed February 24, 2013

Just got back from a week stay at the Riu Palace Peninsula. The hotel itself is big, clean and beautiful but there is nothing tropical about it. The beach is small, rocky and full of seaweed so if you are a beach person do not go to this hotel. The pool is big and very clean with a swim up bar but very cold. We ate at the buffet for breakfast, lunch and dinner which was delicious. There was a variety of food and probably the best all inclusive dining we have had. The service was excellent. We always tipped our servers, bar tenders and anyone else who attended to us and they were so gracious and helpful. Cruz was amazing. He was our bartender at the beach and he always had a smile on his face. There was a volleyball court and the entertainment staff played a few times with us and they were truly hilarious and fun. However, the volleyball court is built on cement and there is not enough sand covering it so many people got hurt.
We went into town one night, however found it to be sleazy and dirty. Cancun has really changed from a few years back. The hotel at night was boring. There were your average resort shows but that's about it. There was a bar with a pool table and a lobby coffee bar, however if you have children or teenagers there is literally nothing for them to do.
I would never return because the beach is terrible, and no matter how beautiful the hotel is there are many choices throughout Mexico and the Caribbean. You can get the same experience at any nice hotel in any city as far as cleanliness, nice lobby and nice rooms are concerned. When we travel to a tropical place we want the tropical feeling and a nice beach is a must!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank GTheo
Reviewed February 22, 2013

My wife and I are 60-ish and we try to get away to Cancun every year in February. We have stayed at several different resorts including 2 other Riu's in Cancun. Over they do a fabulous job ! So this is meant to be informative and not critical. We paid about $1150 for three nights all-inclusive. This is considerably more than we paid last year but the best deal we could find for a QUALITY RESORT!

We were there Feb. 18-24, 2013. It's a long cab ride from the airport - well past the main hotel and shopping strip in Cancun. We don't like taking the shuttle thing with all the other folks because it takes a long tome to get to the hotel. We like a private cab, but the airport guys
rip you off and insist it costs $65 which we reluctantly paid. It only cost $35 for the trip back to the airport from the hotel. We need to figure this out.

Checkin was friendly and efficient. From experience we knew we better make reservstions right away for the restaurants, but sure enough, we could not get a reservation for nights 1 or 2, only 3. TIP: Get on the waiting list for any of the restaurants and show up 15 minutes after the seating time and you are almost sure to get a table because alot of people don't show.
The buffet is great for breakfast. but only fair for lunch and dinner.

The staff here, as in most Cancun hotels, is simply wonderful. Very attractive, friendly and eager to please. They do a GREAT job. Everything is included and it's all high-quality.
Good brand booze, etc. The shows were excellent too. Not Las Vegas - but surprisingly
entertaining.

We got talked into "The Villas" which are 3 low-rise buildings off to the side of the big tower.
This is more suitable to adults as it has a private pool and restaurant. The restaurant is available only for Villa folks and it's excellent. But we had to walk up 3 flights of stairs which is no big deal to un but may be to some. The views from this elevation are limited, where I imaging the views from the big tower are spectacular.

The rooms are decorated in purple which is funky / tacky but what the hell. The vanity and door to the shower are not separated from the room so if one of you is an early riser it's hard to use the bathroom without turning on the light and waking the other. The WC is in it own room behind a door. There is a jaccuzi in the room between the bath and the bed. I can see that except...there is also a hot tib thing out of the balcony. We enjoyed the hot tub thing a couple of time. I don't see the need for both.

There are 5 pools here I think. There is a big one which I think is heated where all the "entertainment" is. Guys like DJ's doing all kinds of games and stuff. Fun for the kids I guess but NOISY so we stayed away from it. Another heated pool has a swim-up bar. This pool was mostly occupied by about 30 guys in their 20's and 30's plus a couple of girls.
They were there to drink and party and seemed to never get out of the pool. We started to get in this once but noticed a scungy slick floating on the surface in the corner so we didn't.

The beach on one side is rocky but pretty and there was plenty of room for lounges in the sand. The beach on the other side is sandy but small. It's hard to "take a long walk on the beach" because you have to pick your way through resort after resort, and the length of the beach here is limited. Still it's very nice.

If you haven't been to Cancun here are a few TIPS :
-Take some Purell wipes and wipe down all the door knobs, light switches, TV remote, water faucets, etc. The guy who checked out this morning might have been sick.
-They say "Don't dring the water out of the tap". DON'T ! They provide all the bottles water you need. USE IT !
-As much as we love salad, we don't eat any leafy vegetables here, or any friut with the skin on it. That's where most stomach bugs come from. Consider what you eat before you eat it. A few years ago we were offerred some "free" sushi appetizers (because they were left over from lunch). Every one of us who ate them got sick. The few who didn't were fine.
-Use sunscreen and get out of the sun if you even suspect you're getting burned. It's sucks to screw up your whole vacation by getting scorched the first day.
-There is almost no reason to leave the resort except to shop.

All in all we highly recommend this place. We had a blast and would go back tomorrow if we could ! Have fun ! Richard and Sharon

4  Thank Paceslaker
Reviewed February 22, 2013

This is a great hotel but the beach is not beautiful.
The hotel open the 04 of may 2012 so the hotel was still new when i visited it.

They add probleme with the elevator. When the elevator dont work and your room is on the 15th floor you dont want to go up the stair. It is a good workout but where on vacation. (this was a probleme with the systeme. I belive it is fix by now)

The room are either oceanview or lagoon view. You cant go wrong the view is unbelivable.

The probleme with the beach is that there are a lot of big rock on one side and on the other the beach is really small.

Like i already said in one of my review about the Riu Palace Mexico. The room have only the bathroom separated. The bath and the shower are in the room with the sink. If you are with friend this is not really fun but if you are with family this shouldnt be a probleme.

The restaurant where good i dont have any complaint about this.

My only regret is about the staff. We ask them for the direction to go to the souvenir shop. They told us to take a bus in one direction. It wasnt the good direction. The bus to come back was passing every 2 hours. So we decide to walk. If you dont know where to go and you dont realy speak spanish this could be a probleme. People where realy nice and help us finding our ways.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank windfl0wer4576
Reviewed February 22, 2013

We just got back from a 9 night stay at the Riu Palace Peninsula. Our original booking was at the Riu Caribe, but they were overbooked, and offered us a free upgrade. We had to sign a waiver (which was a little weird) that stated we would not complain about the move to anyone, or to any of the companies we booked through. We didn't know anything about the Riu Palace, but they assured us it was much nicer and brand new.

Upon arrival the check-in was very slow. We ended up at the front desk right around check-out time, so I'm sure this had something to do with it. Check-in was smooth and staff was friendly.
The design of the hotel is ultra modern, and you better like the color purple! It is everywhere. The sheer size of this place was almost intimidating. Would make a great hotel for a large group or families, but lacks the charm and comfort of the smaller, more traditional Cancun resorts. I have been to Cancun 6 times.

Our room was on the 4th floor, and we had a king sized bed. If you can take a room lower like we did, you will still get an amazing view and the trips on the elevator are quick.

Here are the major deficiencies of the resort:

1. The public bathrooms are WAY, WAY TOO SMALL and VERY far away from the pools. There are no bathrooms anywhere near the pools and beach. I had to wait in line for the bathrooms multiple times.

2. There is no food service by the pools. There were some days that they grilled food by the main pool, but it was unpredictable.

3. The activities run by the staff are at the main pool, and they run different music at the swim up bar. Problem is, you have each type of music competing with each-other. Sounds like shoes in a dryer. Add in some rude New Yorkers that bring their own blasting music from a bose/ipod system, and you've got hurricane force beats. That was horrible. And none of the staff thought it was an issue. The New Yorkers caused problems by the pools and the staff was slow to act. This resulted in an incident that nearly boiled over to a full on brawl between two large groups in the middle of the day.

4. Room service is available 24 hours, but not all types. Breakfast only in the morning, and you have to order it by midnight the night before. So basically, if you wake up and want food in your room, but forgot to pre-order, you are screwed until lunch room service starts at 11AM. No lunch service before 11AM. I thought this was terrible! Room service is supposed to be 24 hours!!!

5. The swim up bar is the first pool, the warmest, and for some reason, attracted most of the kids. If their parents didn't keep an eye on them, then you are getting splashed/soaked while trying to just hang out and enjoy a frozen ADULT beverage. There was no kids pool to keep them entertained, and they all flocked to the swim up bar pool.

6. The beach is very rocky, so if you're looking to ride waves and bodysurf, or even swim in big waves, this is NOT the resort for you.

Here are the best parts of the resort:

1. Food was great, slightly better than your typical Cancun resort. Best food by far was the Steakhouse. If you don't have reservations, just go there and ask to be seated and they will still accommodate you.

2. Staff was always checking to make sure things were ok, and had a genuine feeling of caring about the guests.

3. Hotel had a lot of green features (AC turns off when sliding glass door is open) and the design was quite stunning. All of the rooms are ocean side, so no worries there. Also, the balconies have all glass railings, so the view of the pool and ocean are unobstructed when sitting down. Perfect.

4. The lot the hotel is on is not just straight forward. It is almost on a corner lot, so this makes for a huge pool area, and again, a fantastic view.

5. Elevators were nice, quiet, and fast.

6. Great ventilation of the entire resort kept the musty/mildew smell completely out.

All in all, it was a very nice resort. I don't know if we will go back because I think we would prefer a smaller, more cozy place. If what you want is the ultra modern, massive hotel, with good service and food, this may be the place for you!

Room Tip: North end low rooms have a view of the shows at night from your balcony. If you don't want to li...
4  Thank Mpls M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cancun
Zoetry Villa Rolandi Isla Mujeres Cancun
#26 of 176 in Cancun
Hotel Riu Caribe
Hotel Riu Caribe
#45 of 176 in Cancun

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Peninsula? Share your experiences!