“nice resort”

Hotel Riu Palace Peninsula
Ranked #21 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed February 7, 2013

Stayed at a suite for 5 days in feb. Everything seem very modern and new. The food was okay but not the greatest. Service was good and people were very friendly. The front desk would call often to check if we needed anything. And they even gave us a bottle of el jimador on the house. The bad weather made the experience not so great, it was really windy and cloudy for couple days. The room was big and nice but i felt that the furniture was a little cheap. The service for the reserve restaurants was a weird and slow. I actually prefer the buffets. The view was awesome, must been the best thing about the suite. The beach there is so so due to the rocks some people might like it some dont. Pools were nice and it was a overall nice experience.

Room Tip: suite 907 they keep telling me its the best view in the whole resort all angles of the beach and the...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed February 6, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed at this hotel 23rd Jan 2012 for one week. After looking at recent reviews we asked for a higher floor when we arrived. Manolo on the reception couldnt of been more helpful, and we got a room on the 11th floor, outstanding views and room to match. I can honestly say you will want for nothing at this hotel. The choice of food was very good and a good mix of restaurants. I chose steak in two of the al a carte restaurants and can honestly say it was the best ive ever tasted. The only thing i can say negative about a couple of the al a carte restaurants was there was no atmosphere in them, very quiet, would of been better with some background music, they where also very small and would be hard to book a table in peak season, as at the time of our vacation the hotel was run at 60%. The where incredible nothing was to much trouble. The bar staff where very efficient, as soon as they saw your glass low they where straight on it. Try the Miami vice and Dirty monkey cocktails!!! Cant comment on the nightly entertainment as my boyfriend and I where smashed from the cocktails in the afternoon..Ha ha...We both had a fantastic time at the Palace and would highly recommend it. if you like purple then this is the hotel for you..Ha. if its your first time to Cancun you must visit Coco Bongos and treat yourself to the VIP tickets, youll have a fantastic night....be aware mexico is a heavy tipping culture, so take plenty pesos

Room Tip: we was told anywhere above the fifth floor and would agree
7  Thank MICHELLELYNN H
Reviewed February 6, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for five days, I had a really great time. I'd like to say that the service at front desk was outstanding. Great rooms perfect place. Love this place a lot. Customer service agent Damian was an adorable and very helpful guy. We switched rooms 3 times and he had not a problem to provide us the best room. I admire his service. If I ever go back to this hotel I'd like to get service from Damian again. We stayed at one of the VIP villa suites and it was very amazing suite we got, we had VIP swimming pool, VIP restaurant. The food was amazing at this VIP restaurant. I loved the service by the restaurant manager in this VIP restaurant, I recommend everyone that if u go to this hotel make sure u try it.

• Stayed: January 2013
2  Thank Ronna786
Reviewed February 4, 2013

Traveled with husband and friends for 7 nights January 26- February 2. The check in process was a breeze. The front desk happily put us and our friends on the same floor and rooms next to each other, although we did not even ask. Hector the bell hop was super quick dropping off bags and immediately after him the mini-bar guy stopped by to ensure we had everything we needed.
ROOM
The room was large by room standards and nicely appointed with quality toiletries and a liquor dispenser with 4 liquors. The rooms were spotless and cleaned early. We did get interesting towel animals and Hershey kisses at turn down, but this did not occur every night. The mini-bar was replenished the first few days but missed the last couple of days although we tipped. The only gripe was that the bed was as hard as a rock and the pillows were super mushy.
DINING
The Las Olas breakfast buffet offered a huge assortment of things to choose from. We were spoiled by Alejandro who was super attentive at Las Olas. We did make reservations each day for the specialty restaurants with customer service. We did not have to wait since the hotel was at 50% capacity but if it was at 100%, I’m sure we would have had a different experience. They had two seating times-6:30 pm and 8:45 pm. I wish you could just make reservations for anytime or at least move the times up a half hour. Gentlemen, be sure to bring long pants. My husband was wearing nice khaki shorts but was told to go to his room and change. What a stupid rule. Meanwhile, a child screaming and disrupting the entire restaurant at the 8:45 dinner seating is ok? Management should consider making the 8:45 seating adults only or at least play music in the restaurants. None of the restaurants play any music. Be sure to go to the buffet on Thursday night for lobster tails. We had a reservation at Kulinarium that night so we missed it. The buffet and dinner at Venecia was probably the best out of all the restaurants. We ordered room service a couple of times and it arrived in less than 30 minutes. Note, there are no bathrooms in any of the restaurants. You will have to use the facilities in common areas which can be a hike at times.
SERVICE
Wow, top notch!!! This is probably the best service all around we had in the hotel zone. Everyone was super nice and friendly. Ron and Omar the activities guys were a lot of fun and made sure everyone had a good time. Bernardo at Trinidad swim-up bar and Jorge the pool server were super attentive. We especially enjoyed good laughs with Gerardo at the lobby bar.
GROUNDS
There are 5 pools- 1 has a swim-up bar and 1 is a dedicated children’s pool. There were no kids in the children’s pool as they preferred hanging out in the swim-up pool. There is also another pool for the villas that is adults only. It would be nice if the swim-up bar was adults only. There were a few instances when new drinks had to be ordered since splashes of pool water ended up in our drinks. The beach chairs are not padded but are comfortable. There is a Mayan ruin on the property which is pretty nice. One day we watched two idiots step through the garden squashing plants to walk up to the ruins. They walked on the ruins and even picked up rocks. How disrespectful! We were shocked the staff did not scold them. The bathrooms are a bit of a nuisance though. There is a set of restrooms underneath Isla Mujeres Steakhouse/grill that is shared by the restaurants, pool area and beach. The other restroom is by Tobago beach bar. The pool areas and grasses are very well maintained and super clean.
SPA
Had a couples massage in the Renova Spa. It was good. The spa menu in the room does not list prices but there are spa reps in the lobby and pool area with spa specials daily. There are two Jacuzzis in the spa-one is hot and the other is cold. Be sure to bring your pool towels as they will not be supplied. Wish there was a hot tub outside near the pools.
ACTIVITES
Plenty of stuff to do rain or shine! Water aerobics, stretching, step, darts, bingo, volleyball. They have nightly shows in the theater at either 9 or 10 pm depending on the week. There are photographers outside that are always trying to take your picture whether you agree to it or not. They became nuisances at times and don’t understand the word No.
I had a fabulous time and really enjoyed staying at the RPP. This was my first time at a Riu property. It would be nice if management considered making this an adults-only resort since they already have three other Riu’s in the hotel zone. Also, it would be nice if they had more than two brands of beer-Dos Equis and Bohemia gets boring after a week.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
8  Thank EscapeChick
Reviewed February 4, 2013

We just got back from a 8 day vacation at this resort. And it was just great. The first day the weather was bad so we found stuff to do mostly inside of the hotel.
We were 2 couples and had rooms in the main building on the 10th an 6th floor and we couldn't have asked for more.
I was so scared before going on this trip because the other couple that was with us is so picky about everything and very hard to please. They read all the reviews 10000000 times before we left and I could only imagine how this would end but to my surprise they loved everything not one complaint !!!! ;))) so that means something

So lets start

Check in was painless and easy the staff was super friendly and fun.
Day one like I said was cold and it rained a little but we did jump into the swim up pool and had some drinks and fun with some other guests. After that we moved on to the spa. Spend some time in the jacuzzi and steam room. Us girls also got some facials while the guys hung around the sports bar and organized some excursions.
That day we also made reservations at around 2pm for the specialty restaurants and had no problem we got booked for every restaurant .

ENTERTAINMENT
The nightly entertainment starts at 9:30 till 11. The shows are fun and interesting and this ppl try really hard to put a smile on ur face so ppl who try to put this down are just weird to me. At the end of the day this is Mexico not Vegas or broadway! Just FYI
So after that show is over a band plays for about an hour which is nice too they have a male and female singer and it was lovely. People got up and where dancing it was nice.
For other ppl who say nothing is going on after 11pm THEY ARE WRONG!
Go down to the beach bc the beach bar is open till 1am it has great music u r right on the beach enjoy some drinks and just relax it is beautiful.
Yes the Entertainment staff makes announcements in Spanish but they also repeat what they said in English so no complaints there either. Since we had restaurant reservations for almost every night starting 8:45 we missed a lot of the shows and we hung out at the beach. But we caught 2 or 3 shows and had fun. But check out the beach bar at night u will love it

Also the Entertainment group takes everyone who wants to go to coco bongo 1or two nights a week right after the show is over they wait for u in the lobby and off u go to some fun.

And every Saturday they have an amazing beach party !!!!

FOOD

No complain here ...the first day we ordered room service for breakfast u don't get much choices u have hard boiled eggs ham an cheese bread pastries coffee or tea yogurt and cereal which was ok for us. BTW the paper to order breakfast is in the left first draw of ur dresser under the tv just fill it out and hang it outside ur door. We also ordered some room service a few other days had some sandwiches or coffee and everything was good and they bring it up in no time.

BUFFET
was very good at breakfast lunch or dinner we ate twice dinner at the Buffett and had plenty of choices from meats to seafood pasta breads cold dishes basically anything u want they got it and everything was fresh and good. Beef Wellington was great, lobster was served two ways grilled and cooked. They had pizzas and some pasta. Chicken and pork.. Salads cold cuts all kinds of cheeses and desserts some of them looked better then they tasted but most of them were great.

The second time we ate at the dinner Buffett it was a Mexican theme and it was amazing as well. outside they had a little tequila stand set up with different flavored tequila for you to try.

ITALAN
we only ate at the Italian for lunch but it was outstanding I had the grouper and my husband had the stuffed beef just wow... Staff was great. The bread was awesome and the appetizers as well.

JAPANESE
the shrimp tempura is amazing the shrimp are huge I also had the fried ice cream and the tuna for appetizer and it was great make sure to order sake bombs an have sum fun :) the decor is beautiful ... My husband had the beef and the salmon salad just tasteful. Honestly I didn't expect it to be as good as it was

TAMALES / Mexican
The service here was a little slow but the food was good like everywhere else. Taco soup and chicken or beef tacos were great also the risotto with the prawns just tasty. Nothing super exciting but not bad either

STEAKHOUSE
We had the surf and turf and tried both deserts and everything was fab for appetizer we had a seafood platter and we enjoyed it very much. Our friends had the Ribeye and loved it as well. the steaks were just perfectly cooked . my husband and his friend are very picky eaters and they loved everything. For our friend they had a little cake as a surprise for his bday which was very sweet of them. I liked the quite in the restaurant. It wasn't crowded you could have a conversation and enjoy your meal.

KRYSTAL
this is by far the best restaurant on this property the service is outstanding so are all the dishes. We got one tequila shot after the other from our server and we had a blast all of us tried different dishes and everything was just amazing not one bad dish... Whatever you do try to go to this restaurant and experience it. It is worth it

DRESSING UP
don't be afraid to dress up. We always dressed up and I noticed how it changed during the next nights with other ppl as well. I think that ppl are just afraid to dress up they might feel overdressed but don't be afraid to dress up at any night seriously.

HOTEL / ROOMS/ POOLS / SPA / BARS AND STAFF
Hotel is just beautiful it is new and you can tell it is well maintained. Ppl are cleaning all day long. The lobby is little chilly but not a biggi for me. If u sit in the lobby a waiter will walk up and ask u what u want to drink ... There is a coffee bar with ice cream and pastries and the other side is a bar. Both great. Try the ice coffee or cappuccino both excellent. The bar on the other side was our favorite just tell them what u want how u want it what brand and u got it.
Hotel is non smoking inside which is great even tho I'm a smoker I enjoyed that the hotel was a non smoking hotel u have assigned smoking areas or u can smoke outside. Even tho there was ashtrays on the tables outside at breakfast lunch and dinner I never saw anyone light up while other ppl were eating! That was great!

Pools are heated but this year around this time of the year it was just unusual colder and rainier so the pools were a little cold but not freezing we still jumped in every day spend time at the swim up pool and played volleyball in the other pool they also have entertainment at the pool and music till like 4-5 after that just the bars have music till 6-6:30 but the sun disappears by 5 this time of the year so it was ok.
They have lunch at the pool as well starting around 12pm
There is the swim up bar which is more crowded and louder but that's to expect if u want quiet move to another pool there is plenty room everywhere. Behind the swim up pool there is another bar with tables and chairs to hang out if u like. if u want to just chill and get a tan all day long no problem someone will walk around and get u drinks alllllll dayyyyy longgggg

BEACH

The rocky side of the beach is very long and large it is beautiful. The other side is white sand and no rocks u can walk right into the water but that side is smaller still beautiful and you have enough room to lay around and get drinks and just take in the sun. The beach is being cleaned constantly. since it rains more often now u will get seaweed but u wont notice it since they clean all day long.
Also at the beach there is a beach bar u don't need to go get drinks the waiters will get u anything u need and the service is really fast. The beach bar has a bathroom on the side so no need to walk into the main building. The caribe is next door u can walk over there if u want and spend a day there the beach is larger there. The peninsula beach has plenty of lounge chairs lounge beds and there is hammocks as well. Basically even tho it looks small u have plenty of room.

ROOMS
They clean them every day.you get plenty of towels and a girl comes around every afternoon/ night asking if u need more towels or anything else. Mini bar is filled up every day also a guy comes around asking if u need anything. Rooms are large decor is nice white and purple. Balconies huge and jacuzzi Inside and outside on some rooms. Beds were very comfi and u had more then enough pillows u also have a giant purple blanket in the closet and one more huge pillow.

SPA
My friend and me had facials and we enjoyed it very much it was very relaxing. we also had massages and they were great. the spa Staff is very nice and accommodating. We usually moved to the hot tub upstairs after 5 pm and enjoyed some time up there. It is very relaxing and u should try it it is open till 8pm. I love the steam room

We loved it and would come back

Email me if u have any questions.

19  Thank KK2006Nyc
Reviewed February 3, 2013

I wasn’t expecting too much based on the price we paid and after reading so many mixed reviews. Fortunately, Riu Palace Peninsula (RPP) impressed! Perhaps the negative reviews mostly come from those who didn’t do their homework and were expecting something different in terms of décor and type of beach. I have been to Cancun and the Riviera Maya many times, so I have a pretty good frame of reference to compare to. If you want to see which resorts I have stayed at, click on my profile and read away. In my opinion, here is what I liked and did not like about RPP.

Liked:

- Check-in was fast and friendly. Thanks, Alonso! No games trying to secure a king bed and getting the room category we paid for. We had Superior Ocean View, which is from floor 11 and up. The photo is from floor 16.

- The rooms are huge and everything is new. Air conditioning worked great. They give you plenty of hangers and bottled water. The balcony is deeper than most and the shower is massive. I also thought the quality of soap was very good. We never had a problem with getting our room cleaned promptly. Lots of TV channels available in English.

- The beach was perfectly swimmable, although you must choose your entry point to avoid rocks. We found no problem strolling the beach over to Riu Palace Las Americas on more than one occasion.

- The grounds, inside and out, were kept very clean and everything was in good working order.

- Overall, we liked the food. The variety and quality of food at the buffet was outstanding. We also enjoyed most theme restaurants with the exception of Krystal (curry yuck!) and the Steakhouse (boring ambiance and cold crab legs with no butter). Our favorites were Venecia Italian and Kulinarium.

- We had no real issues making dinner reservations. The most we waited was for about 10 minutes one day. We usually showed up at the desk to make our reservations around 10 AM. You do not need a reservation for the Italian restaurant.

- The entertainment team was very engaging and had plenty of activities going on all day and night. There was plenty to do for all types of people. First time I have seen dart tournaments at a resort.

- Bar staff were fun and friendly. Most importantly, they knew how to make a drink. I suggest a chocolate mint martini at the lobby bar. We had especially good times with Diego and Gerardo.

- Coolest sports bar I have seen at a resort and it is open 24 hours. They have arcade games, fooze ball table, air hockey and pool tables. As for food, hot dogs, sandwiches, nachos, and a few other items to choose from.

- Plenty of chairs, so no towel game, and lots of shade available as needed.

- Elevators were quick, despite being 16 floors up.

- Not the best spa, but a bargain massage at $50 for 50 minutes. This was a special being promoted around the pool and lobby.

Disliked:

- While I enjoyed the room, the TV could be bigger and the beddings could be of higher quality.

- No free access to a computer terminal to check email or print boarding passes. Yes, they have free wi-fi, but I wasn’t bringing my new iPhone on vacation.

- They need to keep the kids out of the swim-up bar. It wasn’t crawling with kids, but we did have an occasional splasher that had to be told to go away.

- Towel cards are a dumb idea. They are cheap towels, so I can’t imagine anyone stealing one. What does a towel cost? It would have been nice to have two towels to cover the entire chair. I’m getting picky now, right? Speaking of towel cards, we visited friends at Riu Cancun and what a fiasco it was trying to get towels with our Palace branded towel cards. It took about 30 minutes to exchange cards at the front desk and then get harassed at the towel hut for a room number after they saw our Palace wristbands.

- One night they had a sax player at the lobby bar. Every other night was sleepy piano music. They should bring in a band every now and then.

- An outdoor jacuzzi would have been nice. They have two in the spa, however, that anyone can use.

- I would have liked hand towels in the public bathrooms, as I hate touching door handles.

Overall, I would go back as long as the rates don’t go up. As for a regular Riu property, no way! Riu Cancun had a bad booze selection (no Bohemia beer or Don Julio tequila) and horrible service. Sure, RPP has a few areas for improvement, but that is something I have found at every hotel around the world. As long as you do your homework before you book, you should have no gripes. Make sure the modern décor is to your liking and you know the sand is a bit rockier, but don’t believe the really harsh reviews.

Room Tip: Skip the villas and get a high floor in the main building.
12  Thank VacationDude
Reviewed January 31, 2013

I recently came back from spending a week there (1/20 - 1/27) and I have to say I was very pleased with this resort, especially after reading the more negative reviews before we left. This is our 3rd Riu (2nd Palace) so I wanted to finally write a review since I always look at these before our vacations. I went with my husband, and upon coming up to the resort he made the comment that it reminded him of Las Vegas (I'd seen that on other reviews as well). The building is very modern and contemporary, with colors in purples and whites. Lobby is kept very cold, which will be great in the summer when it's hot outside, but a tad too chilly for this time of year. Check in was very easy, front desk person was nice enough I suppose. There is a lobby bar as well as a coffee bar (coffee bar doesn't open until 10am). The bartender at the lobby bar was very nice and made great cocktails. As far as rooms, we got an "upgrade" so we had a great view of the pool area as well as the ocean (all rooms either face the ocean or lagoon). We were on the 5th floor and all was well - king sized bed that was pretty comfy, jacuzzi tub in the room, and very large shower stall. One thing to note - when closing your room door, it will either slam shut (if the patio door is open), or it might not latch all the way, so make sure you know the door is latched when you leave. The pool area is big and brand new; the pools are chilly but when summer comes that will feel good. The beach is pretty small, but the sand is that smooth, white carribean sand...love....on the right side it's pretty rocky, but if you go closer to the beach bar & Riu Caribe, it's sandy. Be forewarned that there is a lot of seaweed (almost like blades of grass) and the beach in front does have rocks in the water. It didn't bother us too much because it wasn't the gross/slimy kind of seaweed. Most of the time when we went into the water we just walked next door to Riu Caribe. We never had any problems whatsover with getting chairs at either the beach or pool, so don't worry about needing to stake chairs out before breakfast. With regards to the food - it was the best food we've had at any of the Riu's we stayed at - they switch up the buffet food every day (keeping some staples), so if someone can't find something they like to eat, then that's too bad. The service in all areas was impeccible - by far the best we've encountered at an all-inclusive. Our only real problem of the week was the weather - 2 /12 days were spent inside due to storms. I've heard January in Cancun can get like that sometimes...I could say more but would take up too much space. All in all, it was a great trip with the exception of the weather hiccup. We're pretty laid back beach vacationers, and we know what we're getting by going all-inclusive. If you want a Four Seasons or Ritz type of experience, go to those places. For a wonderful all-inclusive experience that is easy to get to & not too $$, this is a good spot.

16  Thank chitown1177