6,033 results
All reviews adult villas vip restaurant sports bar specialty restaurants jacuzzi on the balcony tamales steak adults only section coffee bar japanese restaurant ocean view isla mujeres days in advance liquor dispenser main buffet beach area the main hotel
Reviewed December 11, 2012

My husband and I returned from our 2 week wedding/ honeymoon just 2 weeks ago. We spent our first week getting married at the disappointing Riu Yucatan (beaches and staff were great, food and rooms not so great).
After our first week, I thought I would never go to another Riu again...until we arrived at our second location; the Riu Palace Peninsula. It was absolutely incredible! The staff went above and beyond for all guests, the food was amazing and the rooms were the best I've ever stayed in! You may have to pay a little more for the experience, but if you are truly looking to be pampered and come home feeling like you had a great holiday, it's so worth it!

Room tip: We were only on the 3rd floor,and though it may have been nice to be higher up, the view was incredible from any spot in the hotel- all rooms faced the ocean.
2  Thank Megan_F_12915
Reviewed December 8, 2012

Just got home this evening. The place was amazing! The staff was delightful! The food was better than expected! There were so many different restaurants. The coffee bar was a nice treat. The drinks werent watered down. The location was descent, just a five minute bus ride to all the clubs and restaurants. I gave it a 4 in the "all around" category only because the elevators were glitchy. All of them..

Date of stay: December 2012
2  Thank tylerdavej
Reviewed December 7, 2012

My wife and I and a friend stayed at the Riu Peninsula November 20 thru November 27. We travel frequently to Mexico and have stayed in a few other Riu Resorts including Las Americas and Pacifico in Nuevo Vallarta. This property is truly stunning with sleek modern decor, beautiful pools, and a very nice beach. We stayed in a one bedroom Villa Suite that was on the first floor so we could walk right out to the pool. The Villas have a private VIP pool with towel service so you do not need to use your towel cards.

Since our room was likely one of the most expensive in the hotel and it was also a VIP area, we expected VIP service and that is where this property fell short. We were there for 7 nights and only received turn down service for one night. The quality of the bedding was the lowest that we have ever encountered in a Riu or any other high end hotel in Mexico for that matter. They were polyester and had nubs all over them from overheating in the dryers. We were promised complimentary wireless internet in our rooms, but it never worked even after taking my laptop to the front desk where they tried to connect for 30 minutes and then gave up saying the system was temporarily out of order..

As far as the food is concerned, it was typical Riu quality. The buffet was just ok, with much the same food for breakfast and lunch every day. We ate in three of the specialty restaurants with mixed results. There is a special restaurant for the VIP area called Kulinarium and we ate there twice. The first time the food was excellent as was the service so we decided to try it again. The second time the service was poor and the food was not well prepared. We were told that one of the chefs and one of the waiters did not show up for work. In a 5 star resort they should have backup.

The Italian restaurant, which did not require a reservation, was just average. Not much different from the buffet. The exception to all of this was the Mexican Restaurant "Tamales" This rates right up there with the best restaurants and service we have ever had in Mexico. The Head Waiter,Fernando,was on top of everything. The food was super,particularly the suckling pig. We loved if so much that we cancelled a reservation at the steakhouse to return the next night and we were not disappointed.

This is a fabulous resort and it is a shame that the Riu mangement has not been able to the consistency of service and cuisine that such a resort deserves

Room tip: I wouldsuggest the Villas Pool front, or a high floorinthe Towers
5  Thank gdomuuse
Reviewed December 7, 2012

I absolutely loved this resort and would visit again. It's a little pricey compared to the Caribe & Cancun, but you may find the upgraded rooms, amenities & resort are worth it. That's something you have to decide for yourself. I visited all 4 Riu's while in Cancun, and I felt this one offered more in terms of size, and overall quality. I will break down my review into sections to simplify things. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Rooms (in main building):
All have ocean views
Larger than a standard room
Jetted Tub (in the room)
Sitting Area
Separate room with toilet
Large walk in shower (with rain shower)
King size bed or 2 doubles (Bed & pillows both very comfortable)
Premium alcohol (Tequila, Rum, Vodka, Brandy & Dos Equis Beer)
Maid comes twice daily (in the morning & evening)
I took a video of our room, here is the link:

Lobby:
Air conditioned, very large & modern
Internet access
Cappuccino Bar
Piano Bar
Bank machine & Pay phone
Restaurant reservation desk
Gift Shop (pricey but very useful in case of emergencies)

Food & Drinks:
Food quality was excellent both in the buffet & restaurants
Large selection
Reservations required for all restaurants except the Italian (do this at least a day in advance)
Best restaurant in my opinion was the steakhouse
Premium brand drink (in rooms and on the resort)

Resort Grounds:
4 Pools (infinity pool, swim up bar, activity pool, walk in pool (great for kids & people with disabilities). I didn't see any jacuzzi.
More than enough lounge chairs around the pool & on the beach (choice of sun or shade)
Waiter service
Towel service
Sports Equipment
White sand walk in beach (on the left), and steps down to the beach (on the right). A couple of good spots for snorkeling. No need for water shoes.
One thing they need is a more central toilet, you will have to make your way to the main building to use one.
Small ruins site (uncovered when excavating to build the property)
Theater for evening shows (with 2 bars). The shows were fun to watch.
Here is a link to a video I took of the resort:

Service:
The service was beyond my expectations. The front desk staff were helpful. The restaurant / buffet staff would greet us each time, pull out my chair, take our drink orders, put my napkin on my lap, and checked with us several times to see if we needed anything. The bartenders and beach waiters kept our drinks full. The maid came twice a day to make our room, made sure we had towels, each day we came back to our room to find our bed decorated with towel art, and some nights they would leave chocolates on our pillows. Bar was restocked as needed. The people who work at this resort made us feel special and they make this resort special. Everything was fantastic! We will certainly revisit one day:)

Other:
Walking distance (about 5min) to Playa Tortugas. There you will find ferries & excursions to Isla Mujeres, bars/restaurants, and a flea market.
Public transportation about a two minute walk from the resort. You will need it to get to the entertainment area or downtown.
8.5pesos for the bus (less than $1) will take you any where in the hotel zone & downtown Cancun.
Taxi is around $10US to get you to main points of interest.
Conversion rate was about 13 pesos to $1US at time of visit (October 2012)

Room tip: All rooms in the main building have an ocean view, I am sure you would be happy anywhere. You may want to request a room on an upper floor for an even better view. The villas don't seem to have as good of a view, they are low to the ground, and the row in behind would not have any ocean view.
Date of stay: October 2012
4  Thank Grid27
Reviewed December 6, 2012

A beautiful stunning hotel built at the end of the main Cancun Blvd. Can be seen for miles. Impressive!! Arrival area is massive, well laid out with plenty of staff to accomadate your arrival. Very modern, spacious with the welcoming Bars set away from the main foyer.
Accomodation is very clean, retro with the added spa bath and balcony over looking the sea and pool area. Again Drink optics and fridge is always maintained and re filled daily. Room service is very fast.
Pool area is large with again the added pool bar. Beach and sea is literally 30 secs walk away. Staff around the pool are very friendly and maintain your drinks regulary.
Food is amazing!! Cannot describe everything. It's just amazing. Added restaraunts need to be booked 3 days in advance. Men,be aware of the dress code. The Crystal restaraunt requires shirt / trousers or you won't get in. Therefore pack your self a pair of appropriate attire and not get caught out.
WiFi is 24/7 and can be used around the pool area. Good Strengh and signal.
Now the downside!! - Very poor quality workmanship. All around the hotel the paint is already flaking off (Even in the eating areas). Doors hanging off or not closing properly. Even my banister on the room balcony was loose, requiring maintenance to visit. Not good at level 8. Hot water not available in the evenings to some floors. Sort that problem out, a classy hotel.

• Trip type: Traveled with friends