5,897 results
All reviews adult villas vip restaurant sports bar cappuccino bar specialty restaurants jacuzzi on the balcony krystal restaurant tamales steak adults only section ocean view isla mujeres days in advance main building beach area liquor dispenser main buffet
Reviewed November 30, 2012

All new resort. My wife and I travel, with another couple, twice a year and always stay at a Riu Resort. Everthing was as expected from a Riu Resort. Good food, good location and great service. Will return next year.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade with the ocean view.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank lamasSavannah_GA
Reviewed November 30, 2012

The food was the best thing about this resort. The staff is also wonderful. The beach is very rock, and the water is not very blue -- but is very clear. There is a lot of sea weed. None of this was a negative for me, but if you are looking for a nice beach, you will find a lot of rocks here.
There were no bathrooms available if you were on the beach. You had to walk a good distance to find a bathroom.
Over all we had a great experience at this resort. We stayed in room 904.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Elle128
Reviewed November 30, 2012

I must start off by saying we were so sad to leave but we had a great time. The grounds are absolutely stunning, you have your choice of 4 pools which are all very nice, my only disappointment with the pools is that none of them are heated. That would have been a great choice since the pools were chilly and we had two days of cloudiness.A heated pool is a big plus.also I wish they had either an adults only pool or a few jacuzzi"s out by the pool area so you could relax in one if the weather wasn't that nice or socialize and have some adult time. We went to Krystal restaurant which was good and the japanese restaurant which I can't remember the name. we really liked that one. We ate at the buffets they had which were very good, they had an Italian buffet which we liked but we wish the other buffet opened at 12 instead of 12:30. seemed like we were always to early to eat but i wanted to eat 24/7 so maybe it was just me. The shows were good although we missed the michael jackson show but the elvis show was awesome. we went next door to the riu caribe and saw that show.we also took the bus to visit the riu cancun and riu las americanas which was only a short ride away. when you stay at the peninsula you can use all 3 other resorts. we liked that option. only one dollar to ride the bus. we had room service and it was quick and very tasty. we were not dissapointed.one thing we would suggest as someone else said is they should have more options for drinks at the buffets and specialty restaurants. yes beer and wine is nice but some people want more choices. having mimosas at breakfast was wonderful though and their breakfast buffet was the best. i always went up two or three times.The staff was excellent and so friendly and made you feel special and like you were part of their family. Francisco, Roberto, jose at the lobby bar, fernando, enrique at the VIP restaurant.Cesar who ran the restaurants was so nice, roberto morales from the italian restaurant was welcoming and funny. also we must mention Juan Carlos( " Charlie") over at the riu caribe buffet was so attentive and sociable and made us smile the whole time we were there. Member to keep your towel cards so you can turn them in when you check out and also know that your room key goes into a slot when you enter the room to run the electricity in the room. VIP section didn't seem to be too worth it from what we saw. we didn't have it and we still definitly enjoyed our stay. We loved our stay and hope to visit again someday.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank cara2175
Reviewed November 29, 2012

When I first got there they asked if I would like a drink, what a great way to start a stay. Aldo got my bags I asked him if the room they gave me was good he said yes but if I would wait a second he would see if I could get a better one. Back he came and I was 5 floors higher and on the quieter side. Great start again. This hotel has a great buffet and 5other places to eat. All very good,make sure u eat at the buffet on Thurs. because it has all the lobster tails and sea food. The service is great here, at breakfast they had my cappachino and oj ready for me when they saw me coming. The bartenders were really good always had your drink before u sat down. The room and view were awesome. Use the buses to get around 65cents not bad. Go down to Playa del Carma for $8.70 round trip on a nice bus from downtown. 25th time to Cancun and best hotel yet. Thank u Riu. Nice to use the other RIU's too. Doug (UTAH)

Room Tip: Ask the bell man if u can get an upgrade they will do u good.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank wanttobetheir
Reviewed November 28, 2012

We just returned from a great vacation at Riu Palace Peninsula during Thanksgiving week!
We picked this hotel as we wanted to try something new and modern - we previously stayed with Dreams and Sandals in the Caribbean. It gave it 4 stars as it doesn't match the top resorts but it's close!!
The design of the hotel is definitely breathtaking - very modern and everything is new - the lobby and the rooms look really nice, the hotel has a great unique shape! It just opened in May 2012. And you cannot beat the view!!!
Beach - nice white sand and beautiful water! a bit rocky here and there but ok overall. A lot of algae in the water though and the beach is not very wide. Plenty of chairs for everybody! The pools are awesome - great bars and exquisite infinity pool!
Rooms - modern, clean, we stayed on the 6th floor and the view was AWESOME!!
Restaurants - the buffets were really good, loved the ice-cream bars! A great selection for all tastes, all the time - chicken, pork, fish, beef, vegetarian station, taco station, omlette station, dessert station, fruit station - pretty much everything that your heart desires!! The Gourmet restaurants are good - make sure you make reservations on your first day so you can check all out. We tried the Japanese, the Steakhouse and the Mexican. We didn't go to Fusion as there were no openings that week. There is also a cafe bar downstairs that has really good coffee with the all inclusive package!
Entertainment - evening shows were good - don't miss the Michael Jackson one - i was really surprised how good it was!! It was out first time in Cancun and it was nice to see that all resorts are close to each other and also a lot of shopping around. We went to a great outdoor mall by bus 10min away and walked around for fun. Use the bus for trips outside close to the resort - they come every 5-10min and it's 1$ per ride! Also safe!
Staff - really nice people, they would do anything to make your stay enjoyable!
Trips - we went to Chichen Iza - definitely worth seeing - be mindful it's a full day trip around 2+ hours away. Stop at the Cenote on the way back - it's a unique sinkhole where you can swim. Try going on a cloudy day - we did that and it was great - they say it's usually around 108 degrees in that area and you don't want to visit pyramid ruins in that weather for a full day!
We also did the dolphin swim trip to Isla Mujeres. Takes a couple of hours and it's really fun! Totally worth it!

Overall we had a great time and would recommend this hotel for a unique modern experience!

What i would improve :
- they should serve cocktails at restaurants. Although you have wide, beer and champagne already available.
- they should add some ambient music around the hotel and definitely in the restaurants for dinner!
- the entertainment during the day was weak compared to other resorts. They should add more activities and games during the day.

Room Tip: Go as high as possible for a nice view!
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family