“What's not to like ?”

Hotel Riu Palace Peninsula
Ranked #21 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Opened in May 2012. Next to Riu Caribe. ( We Have been there twice before. ) Very nice rooms with exquisite view of the Carribean. Food at all the restaurants was very good, our favorite being the Japanese eatery. The main dining hall had delicious and different entrees each nite. Plenty of activity during the day and at nite. Very friendly and polite staff. Best fun was going to Isla Mujueres - went snorkeling and swam with Dolphins. What a Blast! I also went scuba diving. The sunlight that day was perfect for accentuating the coral, colorful fish, starfish, lobster , and the very pensive Barracuda who were observing the Snapper. Very safe diving in the summer months , especially in 35 feet of water due to the lack of Oxygen for bigger predators.

Room Tip: Make sure your room faces the Carribean. The colors are spectacular!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Scott O

Reviewed November 5, 2012

riu palace peninsula
what a nice hotel, we were only there for two days, because we had to delay the plane.
nice rooms, very good and plentiful food.
the beach is narrow and rocky.
The garden is large and multiple pools.
for those who love exclusivity, then go to riu peninsula.

gr.frans from holland

Room Tip: they are all lovely rooms
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 4, 2012

I've read the majority of the good reviews and the bad reviews. And I can say there were things mentioned in both that I could agree with, but my overall experience here was wonderful. I noticed when reading the bad reviews when the travelers went...May through August...which can be the busiest time of the year in Cancun. Not to mention the hotel just opened so things still had to be "figured out". We pulled up to the curb and Alex helped me out of the van and made sure our luggage was taken care of. At reception, Damien was a pleasure...personable, funny...and even upgraded our room. As we talked to Damien, a waitress brought us welcome drinks which were a nice little touch. After we were done at reception, 2 guys came up to us and asked what room we were in and would take our luggage. We opened our room door and were blown away by the room and the view. The bell boy promptly brought up our luggage and explained everything we needed to know about our room. It only got better when we went down for lunch and were greeted and directed to a table. We had 2 servers who made sure we had everything we needed. The property was everything the pictures showed...beautiful pools, well maintained gardens, and great beach.

A lot of the bad reviews I read were people just being mean!! Treat people the way you would want to be treated!! Being nice goes a long way. We were always nice to the staff, who in return, were happy to see us everyday and greeted us with smiles and hand shakes. For the most part, everyone could speak English, or tried by speaking little words here and there which was the same for me and my 3 words of Spanish. But remember to the ones who criticized them for not speaking English...you're in Mexico!! If anything, I felt bad I couldn't speak their language yet they tried so hard to speak to me.

The restaurants did get booked up pretty fast, so definitely make reservations when you get there. We were able to eat at Krystals and the Steakhouse, but the other restaurants were booked up. We didn't find it to be a problem since the buffet offered enough food to keep us happy.

To sum it up, we are just a couple with no kids who don't need a lot of bells and whistles. But everything and everyone here made it wonderful. Maybe rethink traveling there in the summer and opt going in October-November when the weather is still beautiful and the hotel is not as busy.

3  Thank Terri H
Reviewed November 2, 2012

Me and my boyfriend stayed here for 8 days, oct 20-28. ( were 27 and 28 and travel twice a year only staying in 5 star's) I was worried and kept checking this site for reviews every other day because the negative ones scared me. We almost cancled and booked another resort. DO NOT read the negative reviews. Some people are never satisfied.

We had the suite on the 10th floor with jacuz on balcony. Let me tell you we were AMAZED! this view was like no other. our room was cleaned twice or more a day. and was SPOTLESS!

Resort itself is absolutly stunning, there is always people constantly cleaning. I never seen a messy floor, or dirty bathroom. (some ppl complained there wernt any close bathrooms by pool) there is bar down by the beach off to the left there is a bathroom in there)

Tip the bartenders and the waitresses and waiters !!! they will remeber you, keep in mind they make $2 a day if that, * we are now friends with 4 waiters and bartenders on facebook) there all so nice and work so hard 7 days a week. they can really use a dollar or two here and there

pools were beautiful always cleaned. we used the VIP infinity pool everyday, just because it says VIP doesnt mean you cant use it, we were the only ones in it!

TONS of activties to do by the pool, music always playing. nightly shows were amazing

Food was soso, that is honestly my only (if you would even call it a complaint) This was one of the main things we were worried about, I am not a picky eater but everything had a different taste. It wasnt horrible but I was ready for a nice cheese steak when we got back! everything had a mexican taste to it. but the specility resturants were great, buffet had sooo much to choose from and was always fresh.

This resort is brand new and they said in a year from now it will be over $600 a night to stay so book now! You wont regret it

We also scuba dived, you can talk them into the excursions for cheap. we did a two dive for $120 pp, DONT LISTEN TO BAD REVIEWS! some people are never happy !! :)

Room Tip: ask for a higher room, view is wonderfulll!!!
6  Thank jessica p
Reviewed November 2, 2012

We stayed here 14 days with 4 kids and my parents-in-law. It was great!

We have visited several Riu Palace hotels in the world and this resort lives up to the expectations we had. I had to get use to the new design, but after a while I really liked it.

The restaurants are very good (like every Riu Palace). A great plus is the coffee shop. the management and staff are very friendly and we were treated like VIPS during our stay.

The pools are great and the animation is top class!

Location is good,but is a bit out of the center.

Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Jan S
Reviewed November 1, 2012

Just returned from the hotel 10.30.12. My wife & I had an exceptional time. Don't read or worry about the negative reviews. I was nervous about the food, but it was great. No issues whatsoever. The only curious design are the washrooms. No fans & they are closed doors. Great for privacy, not the best design...for other obvious reasons.

Room Tip: If you have the funds a jacuzzi balcony suite is out of this world.
4  Thank Jason B
Reviewed October 31, 2012

Wonderful hotel! The new Riu design is a refreshing change from their typical Spanish style at other resorts. The Peninsula is very modern and stylish. The staff was very attentive and the food was terrific.

All rooms are ocean view so depending on what floor you are on is how much better the view is. The beds are the most comfortable I've experienced at a Riu so that's a big change! Rooms are spacious but lack a bit of privacy with the open bathroom design concept.

The restaurants are great. The main buffet has plenty of selection and a different theme each evening. The speciality restaurants can be tough to get into but are worth it. The Japanese and Steak were fantastic. Didn't get a chance to try the Mexican and Interentional.

If you've been to a Riu Palace before, give this one a try as well!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank Tammy H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cancun
Zoetry Villa Rolandi Isla Mujeres Cancun
#46 of 177 in Cancun
GR Caribe by Solaris
GR Caribe by Solaris
#26 of 177 in Cancun

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Peninsula? Share your experiences!