“Best RIU so far”

Hotel Riu Palace Peninsula
Ranked #21 of 176 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed June 22, 2012

The "don't waste your money" review below can't be describing this hotel - I think they panned the wrong one.

I started getting interested in Riu resorts during my first stay at their standard level Riu Caribe in Cancun, right next door to this new Riu, a few years ago. After getting a pretty good price I was impressed that the food, service and in room liquor was quite a bit better than similar priced resorts I had stayed. My Riu experience went to number one favorite resort when I got a great deal on Riu Palace Riviera Maya in Playa Del Carmen. The palace version of Riu resorts are top shelf all the way. The brand new Riu Palace Peninsula is now the top best all inclusive resort I ever stayed.

The food is gourmet even on the buffet. I never found meats at Mexican all inclusive up to very high standards - usually too lean and a little tough. At this resort I found myself overloading my plate with meat delicacies. NY strip sliced off the shank in the buffet one night was the best steak i ever had at a Mexican resort. The morning slabs of bacon were always done to a nice dark brown, better and more consistently than any I recall. The drinks are all top brands and yes they even have Baileys Irish Cream which is one liquor I like that lesser all inclusives never have. As a beer drinker that prefers dark and amber beers, I really enjoyed the never available before at other all inclusive resorts - but at Riu Palace Peninsula I enjoyed Dos Equis Amber and Bohemian dark - a new favorite of mine now. A very nice drinkable champagne was available for every breakfast.

The decor of tbis Riu Palace is modern as opposed to more classical or Victorian I have seen at other Riu Palaces, a nice difference.

The grounds, pools and several beaches landscaped around a small plot of Mayan ruins are huge and beautiful with more than enough room for everyone and their individual taste. I can't imagine any need for saving spots or loungers - every area had overflowing spare capacity. The size of the beaches and pool areas must allow for more guests than the resort can room. The grounds are larger than any of the other three Riu resorts in Cancun and larger than any of the other 5 resorts I have stayed in Cancun.

Directly next door is Riu Caribe which palace users can also use unlimited, but it was closed for remodeling while we were there. We did visit, eat and drink at the nearby Riu Cancun and Riu Palace Cancun which are also open for your unlimited use with Riu palace wrist band.

The resort has quite a few entertainment staff that do a great job with pool side activities and they don't flood the resort with annoying noise. Evening entertainment started around 8:30 with a family/kids show where they get all the kids on stage for various types of fun. The adult entertainment about 9:45 was decently professional - usually some song and dance, which I am not into much, but it was well performed.

My only complaint was internet. The free internet is only allowed for one 90 minute session per day and the 90 minutes starts from when you log in and is not cumulative, that is you don't get 90 minutes unless you sit there for 1.5 hours to use it up. Another annoyance was that Yahoo mail never worked, but I found out later it might have been my tablet's email program. At a Cozumel resort I stayed the 3 days before Riu, Yahoo and all internet worked.

If you get a good price and like luxury and spoiling this resort should be a good choice.
I was off diving much of one day and even more the next for a whale shark tour and only spent one full day at the resort. It seemed a little wasteful to not spend more time at this fine resort. Getting a good price for it's grand opening was an incredible bargain.

Room Tip: Rooms 201-206 face down the island of Cancun giving nice views of the beaches and hotel zone and lag...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank Richard M
Write a ReviewReviews (5,341)

Reviewed June 22, 2012

Our trip was good overall. The resort definitely has some kinks to work out, but it wasn't bad. We barely had hot water. I think I had one hot shower and we heard other people complain about the same thing. When we arrived they told us it would be a 2 hour wait for king beds because they had us in Doubles. An hour later we went back to check and they said they had our rooms ready. We went up fully expecting Kings and they were doubles. They gave me a hard time and told us to come back to the lobby because they had nothing for us by way of King beds. After I made it very clear that I wasn't happy they magically found two rooms on the same floor with Kings. The guy told me that they "never do this" like giving us a bed for a grown couple was a special upgrade. Then he told us that it's the sales departments fault because when they sell rooms they don't account for the beds so they have no way of knowing. The food was alright but the restaurants took forever. The dinners last so long that they only take two sets of reservations each night- 6:30 or 8:30 and they are tiny so it was kinda hard to get in. I think max capacity at all restaurants was something like 45 people.

The pools were nice and there were plenty of chairs. The beach was very small and rocky. The rooms were nice but I don't enjoy the all in one room with the tub by the bed. When you showered- the one time there was hot water- everything got wet from the steam. The entertainment was good- the staff was very nice and the shows were good. Room service was a joke- it took 40 mins to just get a pot of coffee in the morning and they were VERY limited in what they would bring you ie. no low fat milk. We may give them a few years to work their kinks out before considering our return.

Reviewed June 21, 2012

Check in was a breeze . Room huge and awesome , comfortable beds, pools amazing , service top on the line. The only thing negative the specially restaurant food awful in everyone we went to which was all of them!! Not buffet people but this hotel main restaurant was great they had everything and no waiting for hours!!! The beach bar was unbelievable !! Would stay again this hotel was almost perfect , bars were also amazing!! Love the beach area perfect for pictures!!

• Stayed: May 2012
4  Thank beccady
Reviewed June 21, 2012

I could not say anything more ..5 star .Ibook second time 7/2 to 7/5 .....I just be there last month 6/1 5days vacation...

Room Tip: superio ocean view
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank banhtimmy
Reviewed June 21, 2012

We have returned t day from the brand new palace peninsula having had a wonderful holiday. We love contemporary modern style and thought the uncluttered style, with massive windows and beautiful polished marble floors was fab.
We were on the 4th floor room 434 and the view was amazing straight out over all the pools to the sea. The room itself was huge with a large bathroom area with the lovely jacuzzi bath, enormous shower and two basins plus the private seperate loo.
There are some very minor finish issues (such as some filler around the woodwork that needs rubbing down) but nothing the hotel wont come back too over the next few months and sort out and certainly nothing that could possibly spoil or effect your holiday in anyway.
Check in was quick, efficient and friendly. The food was varied and fresh, all beautifully presented. There was a fab range of fresh fruit, salad and amazing little cakes and puddings plus a chocolate fountain every evening. Drinks were plentiful with a huge choice, from champagne to a range of colourful cocktails.
The pool and beach area was stunning, beautifully designed waterfalls and paths running through the various pools, where there were plenty of loungers and parasols.
Housekeeping was excellent with clean towels morning and night if you wanted or needed them, most days we returned to a lovely towel animal or decoration.
The hotel shop is expensive so we caught the local bus R2 which runs every couple of minutes to a walmart about 10 minutes away for insect repellent called off as we did get bitten in the first couple of days, we think in the theatre. The evening entertainment/shows were excellent although mainly dance based but of a very high standard.
We went on the bus to visit the Riu palace Las americas and the Riu Cancun and could not believe that people were saying in their reviews that these hotels were nicer than the peninsula, as we preferred the more modern and newer hotel by far.
In conclusion we highly recommend they Riu Palace Peninsula and we have stayed in many 5* all incusives both in europe and the carribean.

5  Thank sunloverNorthWales
Reviewed June 21, 2012

We just got back from Riu Palace Pennisula. DO NOT waste your money at this hotel!!! The room is small, service and food is bad, very bad, the water is stink, the beach is small and dirty. Upon arrival, we immediately made reservation for dinner as others from tripadvisor have suggested. We were told that everything is booked. After a long debate at the reservation desk, they booked us at the Steak House on our 3rd night. The steak was dry and over cooked, and the service was bad. Because their restaurants were booked, we ended up with same food at the buffet everyday: breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Do not expect good drink quality from this hotel. They served us cheap alcohoh, but when we tip them $20, they bring out good Tequila. All in all, this is not a 5 stars resort as they claimed - bad service, bad food, small and dirty beach. Trust me, you do not want to spend your vacation at this place. Cancun Palace or Beach Palace is much better. Go there!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
10  Thank leila f
Reviewed June 21, 2012

We loved the beach by the rocks. Has a lot of character. It's like having your little private beach with beautiful calm turquoise water and white sand that's like silk. The hotel is nice and clean.

Loved: The hotel is new and modern - very clean. The beach, the buffets, pina coladas, the coffee shop, the pool bar and the view from the room is great. The fish dishes are really good - fresh and delicious. The staff is really nice and they deserve tips (most international guests did not tip). The seashell shop (Delmar) at Kunklun mall is the best (shell collectors dream). The buffet at Venice is great, but not the entrees (groper is good).

Not Loved: The room was cleaned late every day. The shrimp is horrible (avoid it). The bathroom needs a sink. The desserts look really good, but they have NO taste. Trip to Isla Muerjes is not worth it - except the beach is nice. ($17 ferry, $20 chairs/umbrella, $35 golfcart). It's more like a big flea market - same junk. Restaurants aren't great - except Steakhouse.

Would come back just for the beach. Loved it. NEW YORK

Room Tip: Ocean view - is beautiful. We were on 6th floor. Kept missing the elevator because we stared at th...
1  Thank Rosey T