“Experience at the RIU Palace Peninsula”

Hotel Riu Palace Peninsula
Ranked #21 of 176 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed June 9, 2012

We stayed a week recently at this new resort. (Checked in 5/27/12). This resort is truly modern in design which my husband and I loved. The layout in the bedrooms is a little strange with the bath tub in the middle of the room and such but we ultimately loved the building. We were on the 11th floor, and had wonderful views however there was a strong not so nice smell in the hallway most all the time. I don't know if it was from it being a new building and still having some of that going on or what. The elevators at times were slow running, however all three did work while we were there.
The food was less than desirable. We had stayed at the RIU in Paradise Island in the Bahamas last year and came here for our one year anniversary. The food here both in the buffets as well as the reservation required restaurants was not impressive. By the second day I found myself with such an upset stomach that the rest of the trip I could barely eat anything. When I tried it was a couple bites and I was finished. This I'm sure added to my thoughts on the food, but even my husband who is not near as picky as I am said he was very disappointed in the food.
The beach is small and rocky but was still perfectly find for sunbathing/swimming. My husband spent a lot of time our right off the beach at the end of the rock formations snorkeling and saw many different types of fish including one very large, angry looking barracuda! It was nice for him to be able to do this at his leasure if I wasn't feeling up to it (as I was sick) without spending money and paying to go somewhere for me to sit and feel terrible all day.
The nightly entertainment was as you would expect from a resort. It is a family resort so everything was mostly very PG rated. The RIU house band that plays after the nightly show on the other hand is terrible. They do not play anything upbeat, everything is very "jazz-like" and remakes of how they do other artists (Elvis, ect). I prefer having some beat to my music, not to have it put me to sleep. Also the entertainment only goes until like 10-10:30 and then you are on your own, if you want to do something else, you will need to leave the resort.
If you chose to leave the resort and head downtown there are many places you can go. Lots of clubs, bars, shows, ect. You can not walk there, you will need to take a bus or taxi because it is not close. The buses run every few mins. up until a certain point at night and then you will be on your own and most likely have to take a taxi back. (I believe they run until like 12:00). We went to Senor Frogs one night and Margaritaville another. We had fun both places but make sure you take enough money for your drinks or whatever you want there as well as fare back to the resort.
We did a couple of excursions while we were there and had a lot of fun. First we went to XCaret and I must say I really enjoyed myself. I'm a nature lover so here I really got to experience some jungle trails, wild animals, jaguars, parrots, and of course swim the cenote (underground river). They also have some on-site Mayan ruins you can climb, a chapel and church area (set from Mayan times) the house of whispers, and a cemetary, as well as an authentic Mayan village. We got some AMAZING pictures here and by the end of the day we were exhausted but very glad we did it. If you stay for the night show their Mayan show is supposed to be the best in the area, we however did not because by that time I was really not feeling well. The food here is included if you by that package (which is cheaper than buying the food separately) however it is not very good. I couldn't eat because they were flies landing all over it and a random stray wild cat roaming the dinning area trying to get scraps.
My biggest complaint is that Thursday evening we were at the evening show in the entertainment area and our camera was taken. We were sitting at the table I had picked it up to take a picture of one of the women on stage who was all dressed up in a yellow dress dancing for our daughter who loves outfits like that. I turned the camera off and laid it beside my drink (1st drink so no we were not drunk enough to lose the camera) there with me and turned to my husband to ask what our plans were after the show as it was ending and I did not think I could handle another night of the RIU house band. Maybe 5 mins. passed and we decided to head downtown when we were leaving the table I asked him if he had the camera and he said no.. We looked everywhere for hours for it and it was never found. It wasn't crowded in there that night or anything so I am not sure who could have taken it. We went to the front desk almost hourly for the remainder of our stay hoping someone had turned in at least the memory card as my concern were all the pictures I had taken that we had lost. I have a memory problem and pictures are really important to help jog memories for me. Especially the ones we took at XCaret I was so looking forward to sharing them with our children. The front desk acted very annoyed and bothered that we kept checking for our camera/memory card. Suggestion: Don't lose anything, they keep a hand written "log" of what it turned in.. It's very poorly put together and they are not friendly in trying to help you recover lost items. Friday we were out by the pool and the entertainment people had made an annoucement that some lady had lost her reading glasses, when my husband and I asked them to make an annoucement about our camera and stated that we just wanted the memory card back no questions asked and were offering a reward they refused and said bluntly "no one's going to turn that in, just forget it". I was very upset about that. This kind of ruined the entire experience for us because so much was measured in those pictures.
All in all the resort is good, granted it is new and still has some kinks to work out but it's definitely NOT a 5-star resort. When I got sick the 2nd day we went to the store in the lobby and asked if they had medicine for stomach problems and they said no. It wasn't until two days later we were finally directed RIGHT NEXT DOOR to the RIU Caribe for a pharmacy where within an hour of taking the medicine I felt like I was able to get out and do something again! Common courtseys are something I would expect at a 5 star resort and you will not get that here.
Most all the wait-staff was friendly and attentive. Our maid Marsella (sp) was EXCELLENT! I wanted to bring her home with us! I know it's a very long shot, but if someone reading this knows anything about our camera (again we just want the pics and will pay for them you can keep the camera) please contact me at shae_7@hotmail.com Thanks

4  Thank ShannonCz08
There are newer reviews for Hotel Riu Palace Peninsula

Reviewed June 8, 2012

I like most was a little skeptical about the new RIU after reading the reviews. Let me just say that this is my 10th trip to Cancun and my 5th stay at a RIU hotel so I think I have pretty good knowledge about what is bad and what isn't. Yes the hotel does have some kinks to work out but not anything that would keep me from going back as a matter of fact we are re-booking for October this week. My friends and I stayed May 28th-June 4th. We were checked in immediately and our room was ready,there were at least 6 employees working the front desk so everyone was getting attended to quickly.
Our room was on the 5th floor which to me was the perfect floor,the room had some issues which included the air not working properly,the mini fridge wasn't working well and the fan sounded like it was about to take off through the sliding glass door. Rene at the front desk was very helpful and moved us to another room on the same floor and we were happy!
The food at the buffet for all 3 meals was outstanding!!! The specialty restaurants were average but I did not leave any of them hungry. Tamales was our favorite with yummy Mexican food.
The 5 pools were amazing and the Entertainment group was outstanding!!! Juan was by far my favorite!! I did spend the majority of my time time at the beach because I have a pool at home so the beach is more appealing to me. Jesus was the waiter at the beach that worked his bum off keeping everyone happy with drinks, tip him well and he will not forget you and what you are drinking. He was bringing me Chunky Monkeys without me even asking for them!!
The water sports crew by the beach were very helpful, Edwin is the one to speak to for excursions off sight of the hotel, he is cheaper than any of the reps inside hotel (apple,vacation express,etc.) you will find him in the water sports hut by the beach. Anna is the one to speak to about scuba diving off sight and Alberto is the best Dive Master but he was leaving soon so he may not be there. Snorkeling gear is free for one hour and dive instructions are also free I highly recommend doing both.
If you are looking for any treatments in the hotel spa please look for Ricardo, he is always walking through the beach and pool area with a booklet and white sun visor and he will also help get you a discount in the spa,he and Edwin both will give you the best prices on all extra services.
Everyone in the service department was awesome and treated me and my friends like royalty! I felt at home every day here! Also people complained on here about lack of restrooms, if they had ask they would of found out there is 3 different restrooms located thru out the resort, one at bottom of stairs leading to the pool from the buffet, 2nd located by the shop in hallway leading into hotel and the third one is at the far side of the beach bar, be sure and stop to watch the Iguana's that live in the rocks and grassy hill, but please dont be mean to them like a group of kids did while I was there and had one surrounded and scared! Please give this hotel a chance there is alot of great employees there and will greet you with a smile! If you have any questions please contact me I will help as much as possible.

Room Tip: It seems that all rooms have a great view, but if you have an issue just call down to front desk and...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
12  Thank rnelson
Reviewed June 8, 2012

First off when we arrived and checked in i was a little upset that they did not have the room I asked for, available. I am assuming this was because a wedding party came before us and occupied 200 rooms! I had a feeling this would happen. But to my surprise they upgraded us for free to the VIP villa suite. Which we gladly accepted. It took us awhile to figure out how to get to our room, but we got there. When we attempted to open our door, only one room key worked. Apparantly this was a issue for a lot of guests. But I reminded myself that this hotel is brand new and you have to expect some issues. The room was Beautiful, huge actually and very open. I can see why some people would not like the open concept since theres no door or wall seperating the bathtub and shower. This would be a privacy issue. But if you are going with your spouse... its perfect. The pictures of the room Do Not Lie. It is very modern and the bathroom is luxurious. My husband and I both fit into the bathub. When we walk out onto our patio there was a round jacuzzi tub. Which we never used. The first night we turned the water on, and realized This would take too long to fill up. Right off the patio is the VIP pool. Beautiful and great temperature. This was the only pool we used during our stay, It was private, steps from our room, and right next to the beach bar! All of this was great EXCEPT for One thing....MOSQUITOS. I do not know if others staying in the main building had these issues. Since their entrance to their room is inside and not outside like ours. We had mosquitos lingering by our doors 24/7, and many were already in our room. I am semi allergic to mosquitos, I get huge welts. My husband got bit maybe 8 times, I on the other hand got bit close to 25 times. After a few days of this we finally found that they sold OFF repelant at the gift shop for a whopping 15 bucks! I did not care about the price at this point. Once we used the repelant, we were fine. I hope by me saying all of that doesnt steer you away, that was our only issue!! The Beach bar was the best. The bartender Bernardo?? I think that is his name....IS awesome. He always made sure we had a drink. He also was kind enough to take photos for us on the beach. This bar did not seem as busy as the pool bar, which is great because who wants to wait to order a drink. For beer, they only have Dos Esquis. My husband was fine with it but prefered something else. So he got whisky and coke. I like fruity drinks. I tried probably all the drinks on the menu, and realized that they did not put much alcohol in these drinks. If that bothers you just ask for a shot of whatever alcohol is in the drink and mix it right in. The cosmos are delicious.
The food was good. I actually came down with a cold/flu a couple days before our trip so My appetite was horrible. I could be hungry and start eating and all of a sudden loose my appetite. The buffet for breakfast was always great. They had pancakes, waffles, cereals, oatmeal, fruits, bacon, sausage, variety of eggs, muffins, breads, cinnamon rolls, smoothies, juices, and best of all Omelet station!! YUM. Im sure there were more. Buffet for Lunch was also good. They had hot dogs, hamburgers, fish fillets, fries, mozzarela sticks, rice....etc. NOW the buffet for dinner for me wasnt that great. Remind you I wasnt feeling that well to begin with. But my husband who was healthy also said he did not care for it. I cant seem to remember what all they had that we liked. So dinner at the speciality restaurants....Our first was at the tamales mexican restaurant, Was very nice. They had a hourderves station that had caesar salad, chips and salsa...etc. It was fancy but I noticed my husband and I were the only ones REALLY dressed up. But thats ok because we looked good. :) I ordered the prawn meal which had nice suculant shrimp in this sause that was yummy. Once again though it was hard for me to enjoy since my stomach wasnt back to normal. All the meals I saw that came out looked very delicious. The waiter was always there to refill your glass when needed. It was nice. I do not think we ordered dessert since we were already full. I would reccomend this restaurant. The other restaurant was The steak house. I really enjoyed this one. Our appetizers were a big bowl of caesar salad to share and some fresh crab legs, shrimp, oysters and salmon. It was great. I ordered the chicken, my husband ordered the ribs. We both enjoyed our meal. I Would try to eat at the speciallty restaurants over the buffet for dinner.
We only went to one show at night and that was the michael Jackson one. That was fun. We really enjoyed that. This man resembles michael jackson very well. He even sings pretty good too...Hes not lip singing!
They have a building over by the beach where you can sign up for activitites. Prices are a little steep i might add. They wanted $70.00 per person to ride a jet ski for 30 minutes! 160.00 to parasail for 8-12 minutes. I have looked online and couldnt find any one offering these much cheaper though.
THE SPA.....My husband and I made sure we would bring enough money to get a couples massage. Im so grateful that we did. I believe we paid 180 with tip for 50 minute couples massage. The Spa smells wonderful. A citronella smell, not to strong though. so relaxing. We got swedish massages. It was a great relaxing 50 minutes i have ever had. I give a 5/5 for the massage.
The beach was small i must admit, but I didnt mind. We had already stayed at a hotel with the strip of beach you can walk down....and the rocks and such made for beautiful pictures!
I havent read anyone commenting on the photo crew. They have a photo crew that will take nice pictures of you if you set a appointment up with them. My husband and i took advantage of this since we have never had professional photos taken of just us. And who wouldnt love having pictures done on the caribbean!! We got 25 pictures and they are awesome! Im so glad we did this.

My advise overall....BRING mosquito repellent, make reservations at the speciality restaurant, use the beach bar if you want to avoid crowds, Get some pictures done, you are not obligated to purchase any of them if you dont want to, check out the spa, and remember any establishment is going to have issues at the begining of opening. and have fun

Room Tip: All the rooms look great, but the villas are fairly close to where the nightly shows are and they ca...
9  Thank russellnv

Where should I start...

I've stayed in Riu Cancun Las Americas a year ago and I liked it. I thought this new chain hotel would be an improvement, but I was so wrong. Would not recommend anyone to stay in this hotel. If you do want to stay in Riu, pick the other Riu hotels.

If I were to rate this hotel, it should be a 3.5 star not a 5.

The front desk
I have never waited for so long just to check in. It was tedious! Took me more than 1 hour literally.

Room services
I called and asked for a bottle of water to be sent to my Villa at around 10:00pm and guess what? The front desk told me that the page boy has left, he actually told me to go to the front desk and grab it myself. 5 star hotel?? He could have just asked his colleague to send it to my room.

The Villas.
The most expensive rooms in the hotel was a joke. I booked 2 villas and 2 junior suite rooms and I actually prefer the cheapest rooms in the hotel. Seriously, Villas has three floors and it's without an elevator. The interior design of the rooms are all the same. The Villas are just an extended version of the hotel rooms. By the way, good luck with the mosquitoes at night if you are staying in the first 2 floors in the villas.
Sure, you get the silver wrist band instead of the gold band that everyone is wearing, but no one cares about that. You don't get to have any priority when booking restaurants etc etc.all you have is a Villa pool access.

Hotel rooms
17 or 18 floors with only 3 elevator, sometimes only 2 working elevator. Enjoy waiting!
Rooms were clean and new,luckily.

Food was good, but do make reservations as soon as possible.

Overall thoughts:
Complete waste of money. A hotel that shows a lack of management. It is a good place to stay if you haven't been to other 5 star all inclusive hotels. This hotel is a disgrace to the Riu hotel chain.

Room Tip: Don't waste your money on Villas. They are a complete joke.The corner rooms in the hotel are the...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
11  Thank J J
Reviewed June 7, 2012

My girlfriend and I stayed at the Riu Palace Peninsula during its first month in operation. We believed that the Riu Hotel & Resort chain would bring employees and management from other successful area hotels to help launch this beautiful new hotel in a big, grandiose way. They didn't deliver on that hope or expectation. To go from good to great, this Riu location will need to work through some growing pains. I'll touch on the highs and lows beginning with everyone's favorite: food.

Food: Like many resort locations offering All-Inclusive property options, the Riu Palace Peninsula was no different. There was an all day buffet that had great breakfast and dinner options. A skeleton crew operated a smaller, all day buffet in between these meals. The resort offered several reservation based restaurant options in the evenings as well.

---Buffet: Breakfast and dinner buffets offered really great, fresh foods. Multiple themed dinner options were available. Both breakfast and dinner buffets had different food stations where you could ask for foods to be prepared to your liking. Much of the staff in the buffet section, however, did not speak English and were difficult to communicate with given our limited command of the language. This isn't necessarily a shortcoming of the hotel, however, many area resorts have staff that can comfortably communicate in multiple languages.
---Restaurants: The restaurants all required reservations, much like other area hotel & resorts. The food was pretty bad in every restaurant except for the Japanese location. After eating at each restaurant once we opted for the buffet at dinnertime throughout the rest of our trip.
--Drinks/Cappuccino Bar: Alcoholic drinks and different coffees and deserts were almost always available in the hotel or one of the many bars. The drinks were somewhat weak in alcohol, but delicious and abundant. We had no concerns there! The lobby also has a cappuccino bar with delicious iced-coffees (which in Mexico apparently means vanilla ice cream with espresso and is fantastic)!
--Downside: After two days at the resort, I started to get the "water in mexico" stomach issues. A quick trip to the pharmacy down the street helped some, but it made the rest of the trip pretty uncomfortable when it came to food & drink. Unlike other area resorts, bottled water is not available in any of the restaurants. It is free and filled at least twice a day in the mini bar of each hotel room, however.

Beach/Amenities: The Riu Palace Peninsula has a series of excellent pools. They usually don't get too busy and the entertainment staff engage anyone pool side whether they like it or not. We thought the entertainment staff was fun and made the trip a lot more engaging. While the pools and entertainment were great, the beach here is very strange. It's mostly a series of large rocks that lead down to a small area of sand that is pretty dangerous to swim in. The rocks do make for a very picturesque seascape and sunset/sunrise though! If you're looking for great sand and lots of ocean access, this wouldn't be my selection.

Rooms/Location: The hotel itself is beautiful and extremely modern. The lobby is huge and really fun to spend time in. It rained a good amount of our trip, so like many other travelers we gravitated toward the lobby which was spacious, filled with comfortable seating and a good atmosphere. This is also where the cappuccino and a bar are located. So if you need your stimulants or want to get a good day-drunk going, it can be comfortably executed in the lobby! The rooms themselves were average. The orientation of a mid-room jacuzzi tub, with a separated shower and toilet were a bit strange, but the room was great otherwise. The hallways were noisy and guests coming in super late at night echoed throughout the room and corridor. Some rubber stripping at the bottom and tops of the doors might go a long way there!
--Internet: Many reviewers have made erroneous comments in respect to the internet, so I'd like to clear the air. EACH device (laptop, tablet, smartphone, etc) is granted 90 minutes of internet access in a single, continuous session. So if you'd like the internet, and don't want to pay for it, you can use an hour and a half, per day, in a single clip. We didn't even come close to using the full amount per day given that we were on vacation and opted to go on excursions instead.

Outside Resort Activities: We booked our trip through a major provider and they had an on-site coordinator who helped us line up great deals on transportation, as well as a trip to Xel Ha (amazing every time I've been) and VIP access to the Coco-Bongo Club. If you have a chance to do it, the Coco Bongo is a world famous full on show that is unlike anything I've seen anywhere. It's also about 5 hours long, so pay the extra cash to get a seat or table...this will pay dividends by the nights end as people who pay for standing room only are in for some painful arches in their feet.

Location: The resort is pretty far away from both the airport and other hotels & resorts. Taxi rides are cheap and crazy fast in Mexico, so it's not a pain to get anywhere. Just don't count on walking to most of the shops like you can from other established resorts in Cancun.

Staff: Aside from the occasional language barrier we dealt with, every exchange with a staff member was excellent. Very nice people, who are all smiles and very receptive to any concern you might have. One really big upside to this resort was an absence to the hounding of sales people who frequently are allowed to sell tour packages at other resorts. I didn't miss that annoyance at all!

Overall, the trip was good, but unfortunately for this new resort, the bad outweighed the good in our estimate and we will not be returning. Our next visit to Cancun will be elsewhere as we've had much more positive experiences while staying at other popular Cancun destinations.

Room Tip: Be sure to order fully cooked, familiar foods when possible and bring Immodium or pepto-bismol to re...
6  Thank blake s
Reviewed June 7, 2012

I just got home from an incredible 5 days at this grand resort. Do not listen to the negative reviews. This place is amazing! I'll try to summarize my experience...

Room: Tons of space, modern decor, every amenity you could possibly need, incredible shower, double sinks, amazing large balcony with sea-view. The only negative would be the open concept does not provide much privacy, but it's a small inconvenience.

Food: Wow! Everything top-notch, tasty, huge selection (more than most), great atmosphere at all restaurants. I can't imagine anyone complaining about the food. They must have been somewhere else. One thing to remember, make your a la carte reservations 2 days prior to guarantee your spot. If you are organized, you will get what you want. And the room service is included in your all inclusive package. This is a rare bonus.

Pool/Water: I stayed by the pool so I can only comment on that. Lots and lots of space...4 pools including a fun swim-up bar, and 3 other very large pools. You will not feel crowded here, unlike other resorts. Also, lots of sun or shade seating options. Never had a problem finding a chair.

Entertainment: While it may be the typical resort fair, I thought it was great. A different show every night and the entertainment staff are fantastic. Really a lot of fun.

Atmosphere: New, modern, spacious, classy.

Service: For me, this is what made the hotel stand apart from most. I have never been so well-cared for. Everyone was friendly, quick to offer assistance, lots of smiles, and if they didn't know the answer, they would find someone who would. We tipped everyone serving us and I would recommend this even though gratuities are included. It is a small amount of money and it will be much appreciated by the staff.

Your all inclusive includes the 2 other RIU hotels down the strip (30 minute walk along a lovely foot-path), so take advantage of the variety there too. Overall a great week....I am recommending this resort to everyone I know.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
10  Thank Zann11
Reviewed June 6, 2012

Me and My Hubby were there May 28th-June1(with out are 4 children!!)

The Good: The Resort was simply beautiful!! Very modern sleek,clean looking. I loved the coffee Bar. They always had fresh baked goods and would make any starbucks creations I could dream up. I thought the beach area was small but definately beautiful and cozy. At times it felt like we had the whole place to ourselves. The service was good. You could tell that everyone really wanted us to have a good time. entertainment was OK.

The Bad: The food (in our opinion) was not good. Lots of variaty but ...just didn't taste good or completly cooked . We finally caught the bus to the RIU palace where the food was much better.

The Ugly: Tuesday night we ate the italian resturant. where my Husband ate a bad shrimp(he knew it imediately). a few hours later...He was the sickest I've EVER seen him. So he stayed in the bed until thurday evening. I realize food posien could happen any where though.

Overall we had a really relaxing time and got some much needed rest.

Thanks soo much...

Room Tip: Buy a calling card when you get there!!
3  Thank s s
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cancun
Zoetry Villa Rolandi Isla Mujeres Cancun
#26 of 176 in Cancun
Hotel Riu Caribe
Hotel Riu Caribe
#44 of 176 in Cancun

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Peninsula? Share your experiences!