5,858 results
All reviewsadult villasvip restaurantsports barcappuccino barspecialty restaurantsjacuzzi on the balconykrystal restauranttamalessteakadults only sectionocean viewisla mujeresdays in advancemain buildingbeach arealiquor dispensermain buffet
Reviewed June 3, 2012

just arrived back from 2 week vacation.Hotel in general very nice,lovely bedrooms with great housekeeping.Reasonable bars and drinks.Good swimming pool areas but fairly poor beach area for a hotel of this size.A la carte restaurants ok.Krystal and japanese very good with hot food!Mexican and steakhouse mediocre.Buffets restaurants poor for a hotel of this grade.Food lukewarm at best,poor choice and questionable hygiene.Stomach upsets experienced by us and many other people we spoke to during our stay.
won't be returning in near future

Room Tip: avoid rooms facing down the hotel strip.these are above hotel air conditioning units and very noisy
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank trev602
Reviewed June 2, 2012

This was my first time to be at an all inclusive hotel. This hotel is very nice and the hotel staff was very friendly and helpful. I would recommend anyone to stay here. Family, couples, singles. There is something for everyone. The food was excellent and the drinks never stopped.

Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank David M
Reviewed June 2, 2012

I have recently returned from a long weekend trip to Riu Palace Peninsula. This RIU Palace as mentioned in other reviews is completely different in décor and lay out than other Palace’s in Mexico. I thought the modern furniture and themes were nice and not over the top. Check in was fast and I was given an ocean view room that was lovely. The room does lack privacy and there is no appropriate space to change your clothes in. The shower is big with protected shelves and the toilet does have a door for privacy. The pool area was magnificent with multiple shaded areas and umbrellas. There are 2 bars serving the beach and pool areas and wait time for drinks was short. The breakfast and lunch buffets were great but the offerings didn’t change that much day to day. The first night we dined in the Italian restaurant which is a non-reservation restaurant currently. The service was prompt and the food was good. On the day of check in, I was able to make a reservation for the 3rd night of our stay at the Steakhouse. The standard menu was offered and the food came out pre-prepared in mass (i.e. potato with sauce on top already). I had the surf and turf and the steak tasted of tenderizer. My friend did use the nail service at the spa and they were very accommodating. The live music in the lobby bar at night was very enjoyable for before or after dinner. We watched one of the shows and thought that the house band was very talented. The show was a level above the usual high school like productions that can go on. I did take a snorkeling trip with Scuba Caribe that was just out from shore about 10 minutes to a protected reef. The trip was just snorkeling and that was great. The pickup location is at the end of the adjacent Riu property which is under construction. It was a bit of a trek to go up and down the manmade beach front. Overall a very nice trip to another beautiful Riu Palace.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank chicagoTRVLR

RIU Palace Peninsula
We booked this hotel from May 19-22, 2012 in hopes that this new resort would exceed our last horrendous experience and checked out with the same feeling as our prior experience.

Employees here are beyond lazy, lazy is an understatement because no one wants to work. We stayed in room number 708 which has the outside oceanfront Jacuzzi. It is impossible to reach guest services or customer service at night. I had to continuously call Salvador in room service, for him to try to connect me to the front desk to set up the wake up call alarm for the next morning. This process would take at least 30 minutes every night and when we would go downstairs all the employees are standing around behind the customer service desk, talking amongst each other ignoring the phones! God forbid an emergency actually happens, the hotel staff would be the last to know of the situation! Even after setting up the wake up call we were still woken up past the original time we had scheduled. Ordering room service took at least an hour for us to receive and the food was cold, like if it was just sitting there and no one paid any attention to it. I can recall one night around 10:00PM where I called room service to order a Diet Pepsi and they wanted to transfer me to the bar. For what?! Can’t they bring it to me themselves?! After waiting past 12:00AM, we went to sleep and received a call from an employee close to 200AM, with an attitude, stating that she was knocking on our door and that we weren’t answering. Are you kidding me?! By then we figured we were never going to be receiving the Diet Pepsi and had gone to sleep. But seriously, I understand a new resort must be busy adjusting but approximately 4 hours to receive a non-alcoholic drink is a joke. On another night, the resort seemed to be having some satellite issues and none of the TV’s in the rooms were working, they had lost signal.

We were not at all surprised that the food here was just as tasteless as it was in the RIU Palace Punta Cana. The buffet food was a challenge just to get down and the restaurant food was worst. We weren’t the only guests complaining either, there were other guests who were complaining with the servers, repeatedly asking for other plates of food in hopes that the next one would be better than the last. Amongst all the waiters, only Yvonne from Las Olas restaurant was the only employee who was working and made meals somewhat pleasant. As far as the drinks go, this resort uses the same bar menu as the RIU Palace Punta Cana, same drinks with the same taste, full of sugar that are impossible to stomach.

The resort also looks like it was rushed to open, there are countless grammatical errors in signs, menus, etc. For example, the coffee bar cappuccino is spelled, “Capuchino” Appetizers on some of the menus are spelled, “Appetisers” Cranberry on the pool bar menu are spelled, “Camberry” And these are just a few of the mistakes. On our arrival only one of the many elevators were in working order, making it a line of 20 minutes just to get to our rooms. We even befriended one of the guests in line with us to get into the elevators who told us that the elevators were without light a few days before.

Upon our last day before departure, while we were relaxing getting some sun by the pool one of the entertainment employees came up to us and said, “Chicas, van a participar en el evento del baile?” We felt shocked that an employee would come up to us and make a racial slur and discriminate because of our sexual orientation and have to courage to say it out loud enough to make it public. The assistant hotel director who I believe is Spanish is also extremely rude and you can never get a word out when talking to him.

This is the last straw for us with the RIU, no one at these resorts seems to care or even make little effort to make sure guests have a positive experience. I am sure that if Mr. Juan Riu or Mr. Luis Riu Bertrán were here with us today they would be disenchanted with their resorts and the way they are being managed on a daily basis and would make every single effort to have every guest check out with a smile on their faces, with the feeling of them wanting to come back not run away from the resorts.

• Stayed: May 2012
14  Thank Andres V
Reviewed June 2, 2012

After staying in everyone of the Riu's in the Cancun and Riveria this was one of the most relaxing time my wife and I have enjoyed there. For this hotel to have been open only the 3rd week when we arrived the check in to check out was great. The only thing that my wife and I feel that needs a little and I mean only a little is the buffet food, the Riu Cancun out if all has the best food selection. The rooms and the beds are great for a couple, if you had children I can see it would be a problem with the open shower area into the room as the pictures show. The workers, waiters, managers, desk managers, spa managers to the room service could not have been more pleasant .. Thank You Riu for another great summer vacation and looking forward to our 10th year in 2013, lord willing.

Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family