“Decent hotel and good value!”
Review of Grand Royal Lagoon

Grand Royal Lagoon
Ranked #118 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed February 11, 2011

I stayed at the Grand Royal Lagoon for 2 nights in late January 2011. I booked this hotel because I wanted a cheap place to stay in Cancun so I could make an easy pick-up for a tour to Chichen Itza. My final destination was Isla Mujeres, but it would have been too much trouble to make the Chichen Itza pick-up from there, so I decided to stay in Cancun for the first 2 nights.

The Grand Royal Lagoon is not a fancy, all-inclusive hotel resort. And that's why I booked it. I just wanted to use it as a base from which I could tour other parts of the Yucatan. But the Grand Royal Lagoon is a nice, decent, clean little hotel that offers very reasonable rates.

I booked this hotel online, and they had my reservation in their computer system, and there were no problems at check-in. My room was clean and was ready when I arrived. There is a nice swimming pool in the centre of the hotel. There is a little bar/restaurant which was nice. The staff were friendly.

From this hotel,it is a 2 minute walk up to the main boulevard in the Cancun hotel zone (Blvd. Kukulcan). From Blvd. Kukulcan, if you walk 20 minutes to the left (sorry, I never quite got my compass bearings down there!), you will come to Playa Tortugas and the ferry terminals for Isla Mujeres. To the right, it is a 10 minute walk to a shopping mall and some of the big nightclubs (Senor Frog's, etc.). Also to the right, right next to the street the hotel is on, there is a small strip plaza which has a coffee shop, a small taco/burrito stand (very good food!) and a supermarket.

I found the surrounding area to be quite safe, even late at night.

So, if you want an all-inclusive resort - the type of place where you'd never leave your hotel - then you should look somewhere else. But if you want a cheap place to stay in Cancun while you do some tours of the surrounding area (archaeological ruins, in my case), then this hotel is an excellent choice.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Rabbit72

Reviewed February 10, 2011

We arrived in Cancun after reading these reviews but not booking a hotel anywhere. We arrived and took the ADO bus from the airport to the downtown Cancun bus station. From there we walked accross the street o get the address for this hotel on the McDonalds free wi-fi. We were able to step back out the door and grab a bus to the Hotel Zone that dropped us off just a few blocks from the hotel road. This travel totaled about $7 for both of us vs the $60 taxis they were husseling at the airport! We walked down the short quetzal rd and found them booked. They sent us next door to the Imperial Laguna and we picked up a room for one night there (thank god!) and went straight backto the the Royal Lagoon. We LOVE this place! Perfect for the tourist that is "right in the middle" of adventure. We don't really want to stay in hostels anymore, but dont really need the big AI resorts either- this is a perfect fit. Think Motel 8 here- standards needs are met- just not a luxury place. The lagoon is fun to walk around by and look at the alligator everynight by the dock and count the jellyfish. The pool is just what you need to cool off-not swim laps. The breakfast is great for the extra $3! The location is great! So easy to walk to the bars (you could also hop on the bus for about .60 cents each way) and the beach. All the beaches are public property so the big hotels have to let you walk through their lobbies to get to the beach. Don't let them fool you! We also loved the grocery store just a couple blocks away to buy beer, chips, fruit, etc. In that same strip mall is a laundry area, breakfast, bread shop, sweets store, taco place and more! I love that we could access these local amenities so easy. Much better than being at the big resorts where your only options are Senior Frogs or Chilis. Come on people- eat the real Mexican tacos!
Overall- great place to stay!!!! Highly recommend. We also took the ADO bus up to Puerto Juarez to catch the ferry to Isla for only $7 a person! the same trip accross the road from this hotel is $35! The bus ride is an adventure and easy- only takes about 15 mins! : ) Have fun. See you there soon. Can't wait to get back in a few days!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank kbert30
Reviewed January 9, 2011

We scoured the web for good rates over New Year's. Most of the all-inclusives right on the beach were out of our range, but this place was a short walk away and super-cheap. So cheap, in fact, that we were a bit worried.

We got to the hotel and checked in. Our reservation through hotels.com was in their computer, which was a relief.

Our room was the smallest that it could possibly be to fit two double beds. Not a problem, really, just a bit funny. The room was a bit heavy on the air freshener, but it looked clean enough. The ceilings were a bit dusty, the tiled floors looked a little grimy (they could do with a bit of Tilex), and the beds were a bit hard, but none were serious turn-offs for the budget traveler.

The bathroom was clean enough, and the shower was seriously hot and strong.

All of our needs were met by the friendly hotel staff.

The included breakfast consisted of scrambled eggs with bacon, some toast, and a few slices of fruit. The rest of the menu was mediocre.

It's a short walk from the more prestigious all-inclusive resorts in the Hotel Zone. Really not out of the way at all. The surrounding neighborhood is a bit quiet but not at all dangerous.

All in all, a great value. Would definitely recommend for a budget stay.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank spinfly
Reviewed December 19, 2010

Stayed in Cancun and then the Yucatan for a week. My last night was at the Hilton, my first night was at this hotel. The Hilton might as well be tied to a rock this hotel passed it so completely. Yes, the bed was hard but clean with great pillows, shower had great pressure and a big shower area. Room was small but not that much smaller than the Hilton. No, there is no Carribean view but you have the view of the Lagoon including alligators. Breakfast was included for this tiny price and they made anything you wanted, spoke great English and were personable and helpful. The Hilton had few people who spoke good English and were dec idedly UN helpful. Unless your vacation plans focus on staying in your room and watching television (no tv here) you will love it.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed December 15, 2010

This hotel isn't quite in the hotel zone and it's about 2km from the nightclub zone. It is close to the lagoon and you can get quite good views with some rooms.

It is cheap for the location but the room was very noisy. The man on reception at night was also rude. The room was clean and the cleaner had made a lot of effort with flourishes on the towels/loo rolls etc ;o) The room had a free security deposit box, and it also had aircon.

However it was good value for the money, the price includes a modest breakfast and also there is a small and clean pool for clients.

The person in the room next to me insisted on putting their TV on loud at 5.45am and I didn't get a wink of sleep until they went out, unfortunately the wall had a connecting door (locked) which let all the noise through.

So I would say this place is ok to stay for a night or two but if you are a light sleeper like me you might regret it to stay for a long time there.

Also you had to walk a bit up the road to the bus stop, so late at night it wasn't really an option to take the bus and I ended up taking taxis as I didn't feel safe walking about in the early hours to reach the bus stop.

There was no computer for clients at the hotel, so unless you bring your own you will have to walk/take the bus for 2km to the shopping plaza.

Definitely cheap for its location but overall you probably get what you pay for. I would recommend it but just for a short stay or else to someone who is a heavy sleeper.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed July 26, 2010

This hotel was amazing for what it is. First off, I am well traveled all over the globe and I've stayed in five star resort hotels that were more than $1,000 a night, and I've stayed in hostels that were $15.00 a night.

For $40.00 bucks this is hard to beat. When I travel I like to adventure and go away from the tourist stuff. This is close to the Intercontinental which is where a bus stops at. Bus tickets are 7.50 pesos (I think this is supposed to be day pass but they charged Tourist each boarding). If you want to go down to the tourist stuff, coco bongo etc... it's a short ride down on the bus. Drinks and food near the super tourist stuff can get pricy in the since they charge prices just like you'd pay in America. The one night we went to senior frogs we spent some $150.00 US dollars on drinks.

Near the Grand Royal Lagoon there is a supermarket... here is where you can get real Mexico prices. We bought a bottle of tequila for 92.00 peso (like 7 or 8 dollars) they had top shelf tequila for 22.00 us dollars. You can get 3L of water for $2.00 US. Near the super market there is a fantastic little restaurant called Las Fajitas. A chicken burrito will cost you all of 40 pesos (3ish dollars...). The hotel bar sells beer for 15 pesos...

The beach? well near the hotel intercontinental you can gain access to the beach. it's all of 5 mins to walk there. Or ride the bus past all the hotels and gain access to the open beaches.

Interior of the hotel... the pool is clean but we swam in the ocean. The bar and restaurant were fine and very cheap. The floors were tile and clean, the bed was rock hard... but we adventure travel, walking most everywhere and packing so much into one day that by the time we get to sleep anything will do. We didn't spend much time in the hotel... The cleaning people organize your stuff well when they clean and make it look really neat... this may bother some people who don't like their stuff being touched but I left her a tip and nothing of mine got stolen.

The bathroom door was missing a handle in room 411... I don't know if that would bother someone but the shower was hot.

Seriously for 40 dollars and it's location it can't be beat... yes it's not a super resort but if you are looking for that, go to a super resort and pay 10x more.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
4  Thank cchapaneri
Reviewed July 23, 2010

Comfortable, Clean but basic, All you could ask for in cheap accommadation, free wifi, small pool and breakfast included, Location is a 5 min walk to the centre of the hotel zone.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple