“decent..depending on what you are looking for”
Review of Grand Royal Lagoon

Grand Royal Lagoon
Ranked #120 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed October 18, 2011

this smaller hotel is pretty close to some of the big resorts but, this is a very modest place. on this trip, i just wanted to hang out at the beach and see the ruins in chichen itza. the hotel is not a big mega resort and doesn't have it's own beach like a lot of the places down there, but there is a public beach(playa tortugas about 15 minute walk from the hotel). you can always go to the other beaches at resorts if you like...it's not like anybody really cares or will know(unless you act like you don't belong there). there are a few places around the corner from the hotel...some small places to eat that are open early, a place to do laundry, a farmacia(grocery store), a sushi place. you can walk about 10 minutes and get to several other places...or take a taxi...whatever you are into. the hotel has a very small pool and a little outside cabana type place to eat. i didn't try it, but it seemed ok. my room had a comfortable king size bed, an old tv that worked and clean towels in the bathroom.

in all i would say...go ahead and stay here if you can get a good deal around $30 US a night or less..but, if you are looking for a luxury experience...you may want to shop around somewhere else.

also, the guy at the front desk was very helpful and laidback.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank thezackman

Reviewed August 1, 2011

I booked 3 rooms at this hotel months ago. We were travelling as a group, and none of us had ever been to Cancun before. We pretty much were just passing through, but we wanted a decent place to rest for a couple nights and have some time at the beach. I was a little nervous about booking a place that was so cheap, but I read through at least a hundred reviews, and I decided to go for it. It was a great decision! It's definitely not the right hotel if you are looking for luxury, but it was clean, comfortable, and a short walk to the beach. We had no problems at check-in, our reservation was right in the computer, and everything went smoothly. The breakfast that was included was great: choice of pancakes, quesadillas, or omelettes, a plate of fruit, and juice and coffee. The hotel is also close to a small shopping center where you can find food for decent price, if like us, you are looking to save money. The hotel met our needs perfectly, and I still can't believe how little we paid for it. We would definitely stay again!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Tania0642
Reviewed April 5, 2011

i use to live in mexico cancun and i was wondering how was this hotel! Finally got vacation and ad stay there. Very nice location to walk distance to laundry, restaurant, farmacie, good food, golf etc. Staff is good when you tip good, free wifi in the room perfect for Iphone, Take the option to have american breakfast included!
You can walk to the club ! Good for party or to relax with the clean pool !
i really like it but dont forget the hotel is really not expensive so you pay for what you have. If you want luxe is not your place!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Mateooo
Reviewed March 21, 2011

Grand Lagoon
Awful
I stayed at this place based upon the reviews on Trip Advisor. Big Mistake. The small refrigerator had a bashed in ice section and all the racks in it were rusted. There were no lamps on the bed stands just a round florescent light bulb in the ceiling which made it difficult to read in bed. Mold in the bathroom. Plastic bottles and garbage flooting in the “lagoon”. The worst part was a wi-fi connection that would drop out every 6 or 7 minutes and then take 10 minutes to re-establish itself. Small 40 year old TV with few stations. Tiny “safe” to small to put a laptop or much of anything in. There are much better places even for this money.

Stayed: March 2011, traveled solo
3  Thank stuck-in-snow-11
Reviewed February 22, 2011

I stayed for one night after getting a late flight into Cancun before leaving for Playa del Carmen the next morning.

Late check in was quick. I upgraded to a room with balcony for $10(total $52us)
The room was nothing special...basic but comfortable. A couple of beds, chairs, table. Small kitchenette that I didn't use. Shower was GREAT. Hot and tons of pressure.
The balcony had a great view of the lagoon. AC worked well.
Breakfast of pancakes was good.
The grounds are small but nice. The pool is really only for lounging and cooling off.
They got me a shuttle to Playa within an hour of asking for a good price.

It is about a 10 minute walk to the clubs/shops.

***At the end of the street is a sandwich shop called Tykuz. Eat there! GREAT baguettes cheap! I've had them on diving trips before and was craving one. Was so happy to find the shop right near the hotel.

I would stay here again if I ever stay in cancun.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank JaySchwag
Reviewed February 21, 2011

Feeling cocky about all the other TripAdvisor reviews that helpd us have a Great vacation, maybe my expectations were set to high. Like, non-frayed electrical wires, working smoke alarms, or walls that didn't look like they just survived an earthquake. Everyone that reviewed this hotel well - did we stay at the same place?
The staff was churlish and made things up as they went. Even though our reservation said 4 people (didn't list their ages), when they saw we had one child (9), they said she wasn't entitled to the included breakfast. But hey, at least they had our room. They tried to charge us extra for it, but then changed their minds.
The A/C was like a steam engine running off the tracks and we chose to sleep stuffy than listen to (or breathe) what was coming from it. The kitchenettes are non-funcional & don't expect a coffee maker. No bathtub, but that's OK, because that's the size of their pool. The bedsheets had stains (not recent - I think/hope).
I wouldn't say it's a short walk to the neighboring beaches, unless you think a half hour walk is short - and that's to crash another hotel's beach. Don't even think about the nearest public beach (Playa Tortuga) - it's a very long walk for a very small and not clean beach.
Positives: the breakfast was OK. And we managed to leave without a disease or bedbugs.
I've stayed in better hotels that were $5/night in dodgy southeast-Asia border towns. For me in the future, whatever it costs to get a better hotel, I'll pay it, or stay home with a bucket of sand and a heat lamp. I don't mind rustic and have done cheap many times, but for only double the price, you can stay in paradise at the Hilton. Never again, this one.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed February 21, 2011

My GF and I spent a week here. The rooms with a balcony are the best and well worth the $10 more per day. We were in Room 434. It has a refrigerator and little stove. The staff was very helpful. The daily free breakfast was simple and good - eggs or pancakes. Sandwiches, groceries and great Mexican food a block away around the corner. Starbucks, Hard Rock Cafe, etc about a 10 minute walk. The Ferry to Isla M. is about a 15 minute walk. Wi-Fi wasn't great, but I was able to get emails. Did any web surfing at the Starbucks for free. Room cleaned every day with new towels. Overall, well worth the price.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple