“All in all; EXCELLENT”

Ranked #38 of 1,079 Restaurants in Cancun
Cuisines: International
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Offering fine dining, live music and exceptional service, El Conquistador is a jewel among Cancun restaurants. An experience to savor slowly, lingering over every delicious morsel, these are moments to treasure, memories of a magical evening at one of the best restaurants in Cancun Hotel Zone.
Reviewed January 14, 2014 via mobile

I've been to several restaurants during this trip to Cancun and this one topped them all!
Great friendly service, delicious food and great romantic atmosphere with live guitarist playing soft modern jazz music.
The onion soup is a must and the salmon was freshly prepared and delicious.
For desert do not pass on the banana flambé!
US$ 125.00 for two full course dinners including wine was worth the experience!
Definitely will dine there again!

Reviewed December 18, 2013

This was our first and, perhaps, last time to eat in this restaurant, housed in the Royal Mayan Resort. I wish there was an opportunity to rate it at 4.5 stars. 4 is too low, but it did not reach 5 stars. It may be reopened in another Royal Resort, after February 1, 2014..
Our entrees, a beef and a pork dish were well prepared, but were not outstanding. We have had better entrees elsewhere in Cancun. My wife had a very tasty soup of the day, and I had cherries jubilee. These both were outstanding.
The service was very cordial, and the ambiance was reserved and quiet. I wish I could have liked the long-time guitarist, but 'lounge style' performances are not to my liking--especially the use of electronic drums and canned accompaniments. Mexico has so many types of acoustic guitar performers, and there is such wonderful music composed for the guitar. It was a shame to have missed these more interesting resources in this rather intimate setting. Clearly, amplification and cheezy electronics, in my opinion, do not live up to the decor, service and ambiance.
My regret is that we had not eaten at El Conquistador before.

Reviewed December 7, 2013

As many Royal Resorts owners have expressed concern with the sale of the Mayan, the status of El Conquistador has been a major dilemma.
A recent letter from the management company has indicated they have listened to owner's concerns.

In February when the Mayan closes, El Conquistador will be moving to the Royal Islander. For those of us that have been patrons for 25+ years, this is wonderful news.

3  Thank ZZMimi
Reviewed December 2, 2013

We have been coming to this restaurant for the past 10 years and the service is always impeccable. Jesus the head waiter always remembers us and had a special anniversary surprise. Duran the guitarist is still there entertaining us with his special mix of music. The only reason I didn't give it a 5 star is because the changed chefs and with that the menu changed. Eating Kosher there was a very limited fish dishes available and I can't eat chesse and almost everything had cheese in it. They still serve table side Caesar salad which is the best we have ever had, the onion rolls are fabulousness and also there table side desserts. Just wish they kept the same main courses.

1  Thank Rosanne M
Reviewed November 15, 2013 via mobile

Expensive but excellent food and service. I tried snapper coated in coffee with blue cheese risotto. Sounded unusual and I wanted to see how that could be put together. It was excellent. Service is 1st class. Lots of tableside prep and flambee action all with class and flair.

Only downside is the room is a bit noisy when crowded. You won't save money here but then again this is fine dining not tacos and cerveza. Worth a splurge.

1  Thank xtcds1