“Christmas in Cancun”

Ranked #52 of 1,021 Restaurants in Cancun
Cuisines: International
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Offering fine dining, live music and exceptional service, El Conquistador is a jewel among Cancun restaurants. An experience to savor slowly, lingering over every delicious morsel, these are moments to treasure, memories of a magical evening at one of the best restaurants in Cancun Hotel Zone.
Reviewed January 1, 2013

We went here for Christmas dinner as it was highly rated and part of the all inclusive at Royal Sands.

It was a very nice meal, lovely restaurant. From the prior reviews we were expecting it to be better than it acutally was. Steak was ok, shrimp was excellent and the lave cake was fabulous.

One comment to the management would be the clearing of the tables. Directly beside us was where the waiters would bring the dirty dishes and scrape all the leftovers on to one plate. Needless to say this was unappetizing. I suggest dishes be taken directly to the kitchen.

Reviewed December 29, 2012

I have been going to Cancun for 20 years and this restaurant located in the Royal Mayan was considered one of the tops in Cancun. I was sorry to see that the changes made by management including the all inclusive in all Royal Resorts has affected this restaurant. While my old friend the Maitre D greeted me with open arms and the waiters were the same the menu had been downgraded and the tableside flambee main dishes had been reduced. The management of Royal Resorts should reconsider what they are doing with El Conquistador.

1  Thank travelax
Reviewed December 25, 2012

We went to this restaurant midweek when they had a live guitarist playing. This is a very small space (15-20 tables?) and the guitar music was so incredibly loud that I could barely hear the person across the table from me. Others were clearly having this issue since the noise level in the restaurant was so high, it took away from the "romance" factor.

The food that we ordered was not good. The lobster bisque soup had a film over the top of it that made it look like it was sitting out. The croutons in it were gummy (again, I think from sitting out). It was a muddy brown color and so heavily salted that I couldn't eat more than 3 bites of it. The coffee-crusted grouper looked spectacular and the grouper was perfectly cooked. However, the coffee-crusting completely overpowered all the flavor of the fish and coated my mouth. It was sitting on a bed of "mushroom risotto" which appeared to be sticky rice with mushrooms in it - definitely not a risotto. My date had the pasta with seafood -- the seafood was rubbery and inedible. We didn't order dessert since at this point we were so sorely disappointed.

I highly recommend skipping this restaurant -- try Captain's Cove across the street instead!

1  Thank gaziggy12
Cristóbal G, Community Manager at El Conquistador, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2013

Dear Guest,

On behalf of the Management of El Conquistador Restaurant, we appreciate your time and comments about our place, food and the service that you experienced here.

We have retrieved all kinds of comments, and we took seriously everyone of them to help us serve you better.

Once again thank you for sharing with us your comments.

Kindly
Cristóbal Galindo
Community Manager

Reviewed December 18, 2012

There is something about Jesus. He is the man who seats you at El Conquistador. He has this calm, charming air about him. We enjoy eating here when we stay at the Royal Islander, a short walk from our resort as this restaurant is in the Royal Mayan. It is formal, so pack one set of nice clothes for your vacation so you can come here. Prices are reasonable for a special night out. The give you onion bread which is delicious and you can't help but eat more than you want. My husband and I both ordered the same dish which was a shrimp, scallop and crab pasta dish. Delicious and a nice portion, we left satisfied. I like leaving a restaurant satisfied, not overly stuffed nor hungry, just right. Jesus made it a point to speak to us on our way out although he was busy seating new arrivals. Reservations are highly recommended but we went early at 5:00p on a Wednesday night and had no difficulty in getting a table. They also had nice relaxing music playing.

Reviewed December 17, 2012

We've eaten there quite often, especially with older visitors. Its a very formal environment. The service is very good. The food is generally quite good but a bit too oily, even the bread sticks and rolls are oily.