“Off the beaten path, this place catches It's own fish and then grills them on a brick mesquite filled grill.”

Restaurant Rio Nizuc
Ranked #212 of 946 Restaurants in Cancun
Cuisines: Mexican, Caribbean, Seafood
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Waitstaff
Los Angeles, California, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2013 via mobile

This place was only known to the locals until now. I took my wife here while we waited to check into our room. It is not easy to find, but if you ask any taxi driver, he'll know where it is. It is An outdoor restaurant, very rustic, under the Paalaa plus They have no electricity or gas so they catch their fish early in the morning and they grow them over the Mesquite
Grill. they close at sundown and on Mondays to clean up. But in my opinion this is the best, ABSOLUTLY THE BEST fish and seafood on the planet bar none! PLEASE ALLOW ME TO PLACE YOUR ORDER FOR YOU. First, if there are several of you you must order a bucket of beer. I had a couple of Dos Equis and my wife had a couple of Coronas. For an appetizer, have an order of guacamole with chips and a shrimp ceviche so so so delicious!!! Be sure and order the specialty of the house, (Pronounced: tee-an-seek) It is a fresh whole fish, cut into 3 sections, the right fillet, spine, and left Fillet grilled facedown and marinated In a achiote and their blend of 11 herbs and spices, grilled facedown in the Mesquitte grill to perfection. While you're waiting for your food to arrive feel free to relax under the Palapas And watch the boats as they come out from under the bridge from the jungle cruise out into the open ocean. You can also enjoy the view or walk around and take pictures. You can even walk barefoot into the water since it is very shallow you can walk for several yards into the water. it is so beautiful and relaxing there. I go there every time I'm in Cancun, that's my first stop. I guarantee you will love this place. I recommended it highly to anyone that asks me. It's off the beaten path, not a lot of people know about it but it is known through word-of-mouth and I guarantee you will tell all your friends about it. go check it out it's under the bridge at Punta Nizuc. It's very safe, very relaxing, and very delicious! And the prices are very very reasonable. you won't pay hotels on prices that's why the locals eat there! You'll love it! You have my personal guarantee!

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank JESUS M

Seoul, South Korea
“Fresh local food with scenic view”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2012

A hidden place in Punta Nizuc, surrounded by mangroves and no tourists on sight. There is only outdoor sitting - we had lunch with our feet in the water.

Home made traditional cuisine, aiming at satisfying the locals, who invade the place on holidays and Sunday afternoons. We had guacamole, ceviche with seafood (incl. conch) and grilled shrimps with garlic sauce. Everything was extremely fresh and delicious.

The only place we've been in Cancun where we haven't been asked for a tip - and this meant a lot for us!

• Visited April 2012
3 Thank hazinheira
Montreal, Canada
“hidden in mangroves”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2012

this is the most hidden restaurant in cancun.
For twelve years going to cancun for the holidays,(we own time-share) we always make
sure to have lunch at this restaurant.located in punta nizuc,just at the bend of the bridge
on the way to wet & wild.They serve only lunch,but what a lunch.
Specialize in sea food and fish only. we always have the grouper split in two.
one side of the fish is butter garlic,the other side in tikinchik with anchiote sauce.
The real tikinchik (Not he one advertised in other restaurants,which look like veracruz fish)cooked by a mayan cook,over fire only.the most delicious fish we ever had in cancun.as for the scenery,nothing can beat it. Simple plastic tables,chairs spread over
sand with umbrella.but the view is breathtaking.large expanse of turquoise water.facing mangroves,herons fishing in water,multitude of differents birds diving for fish .
th entrance to the restaurant is hidden behind a rickity bridge,but soon you enter, the view leaves you breathless.This restaurant does not advertise at all.the waiter and cook speak little or no english. Most of the customers are mexicans,with few tourists who have discoved it.
I never wanted to write a review of this place,I wanted to keep it for myself and family.
It may never register as No 1 or 2 or 3 or whatever,but for me and my partner, it is the No 1 for fish and sea food.It is up to you to find out how to get there,and if you do, you will not regret it.
Good Luck