“I had a great time”

Ranked #56 of 175 Hotels in Cancun
St Paul
“I had a great time”
Reviewed March 11, 2014

Was apprehensive getting a place away from the beach, but wanted to save money. It was a fabulous location, easy to get places with their shuttle and taking the bus home. Lots of great restaurants nearby, the casino across the street, and nice staff always helpful and kind. Loved it there, will definitely stay again!

Room Tip: Great for families, basically a quiet place, nice staff and if you do not speak much Spanish the sta...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank StPaulLynnette

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Guelph, Canada
Reviewed March 4, 2014

We had been at an all inclusive resort south of Playa for a week and wanted an a la carte hotel for a few nights in Cancun. La Quinta did not disappoint. The hotel is bright, new and very clean. Staff are helpful and a good breakfast is included, though previous comments re the coffee are valid.

Here are some tips
There are good local restaurants for lunch across the street and some well rated restaurants on TA within a 20 minute walk.
The bus system is easy, reliable and inexpensive. If you want to head to the beach or to the strip just walk 10 min up to Ave Coba and take the R1 or R2.
If you are planning to visit Isla Mujeres, the inexpensive option looks like taking the ferry from Porto Juarez is best but in reality its a pain to try to take a bus to Porto Juarez. A better option is to take the R1 or R2 to the Ultramar terminal and get on the high speed ferry ... more expensive at $US 19.00 but well worth it.
If you want to rent a golf cart on Isla Mujeres bring a drivers license.
Anything that you need or have forgotten can be found at Las Americas mall about a 10 min walk south on Ave Tulum.
The hotel has a self serve laundry! 25 pesos to wash or dry ... includes detergent and a lifesaver after travelling for over a week.

Would recommend as a good hotel in Cancun.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MBC300
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed February 27, 2014

We normally stay in the Hotel zone, but this vacation I wanted to visit Chichen Itza and Isla mujeres, so I purposely chose to stay away from a resort directly on the beach. If you are familiar with Downtown Cancun, the resort is in a great location on Av. Tulum. It was a short walk to the Costco and also a short walk over to some of the restaurants near Plaza de Palapas. It is also very close to Plaza las Americas which is a nice upscale mall.

I had booked a Queen Balcony, but got an upgrade to a King with a full sofa. the room was large and clean. There was an odd chemical smell when we first checked in, but I think it was related to some sort of lubricant they used on door because it went away quickly, and only smelled when you first entered room. By the second day we didnt notice it anymore

The breakfast buffet had waffles and eggs and beans and sausage and juice, so enough to fill you up.

The pool was smaller than I expected, but there was nobody else in it when I went there, so it didnt really matter.

If you are looking to stay in Cancun and travel afield to places like Chichen Itza or Tulum, I would recommend this place to save you money over staying at the resorts, especially if you are not going to stick around during day to take advantage of their amenities.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JRowley70
New Bedford, Massachusetts
Reviewed February 16, 2014

I booked this trip to Cancun solo which scared my coworkers, who in turn scared me! Suddenly I worried about booking a hotel that wasn't located on the beach & the possibility that I would get "taken" because I was alone. Looking back that was crazy!

This hotel is outstanding for a 2 star. You should know that I am a hotel snob, but when I saw all the pics & positive reviews I thought why not? Once my nerves caught up to me I FB messaged the hotel w/questions. I was quickly put at ease by Alberto! He went above and beyond answering all of my silly questions & making me feel comfortable & excited again!

The hotel was immaculately clean! The rooms are nice similar to expensive hotel chains I've stayed at like Hilton or even Westin. The beds and pillows are super comfy! I stayed on the upper floor & had a cool view of the city. The bathroom is also nice and cool modern shower. There's also a fridge in the room if you want to buy drinks to bring back. Although I didn't use the pool, I did read by it in the evening hrs & that was really peaceful w/the sound of the back waterfall. They have a small gym w/newer cardio equipment & weights..every time I went in it was clean & tidy.

The free breakfast was great. The selection changed but I always saw scrambled eggs, an assortment of cereals, juices, different breads, coffee & the hot ticket item..the waffle maker! I did make one on my 2nd day & it was perfect. There's also a restaurant out front that I used for some dinner. It wasn't the best I ever had but it was super cheap..ridiculously cheap! I didn't change my money because they let me use dollars everywhere or credit card, but if you need to the hotel can. They also have rental car options.

Although not on the beach, they have a shuttle that you can book to drop you off for free. Taking the bus back is easy, safe, & only $1. There's also a beach club that if you show your room card they let you in for 300 pesos & that money goes toward food/drink. (Yummy sushi)

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank kellyann7
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed February 6, 2014

We had just spent two separate weeks at all-inclusive in Cancun and Playa Del Carmen we thought to try a third week in a regular hotel where we could get our own meals. The noise in all-inclusives is close to unbearable for some of us. La Quinta is in downtown Cancun, close to a multitude of of buses, shopping centers, and restaurants. A 15 minute bus ride to Zona Hotera. The best beach is close to Coco Bongo. The rooms were very clean but we struggled with housekeeping to keep up supplies of towels and tissue.
A couple GREAT features of La Quinta in Cancun were the included in room breakfast and the mini-bus service to anywhere in Cancun except the airport. The mini bus service will take you to your destination, with a reservation, but will not pick you up.

Room Tip: Rooms 428 and 528 have balconies in standard rooms!
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank geo4te
Tallinn, Estonia
Reviewed February 1, 2014

The rooms were beautiful and the bed comfortable. We did change our room just before going to sleep because there was a very bad humming noise in our first room, but after the change it was just perfect. I very quiet room and good sleep quality. The location was good if you would like to stay in the central part of the city. There is a truly excellent sushi restaurant just next door and a very good shopping center just two blocks away. The staff was very nice and helpful, but when I asked to mark the hotel location on the map of Cancun i had, then it afterwards turned out that the girl marked the hotel on a totally wrong place. Luckily we figured out that it was a mistake and did not get lost. The breakfast was great comparing to the other hotels in mexico.

Room Tip: The room nr 317 was very noisy, don't go to that one.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
michigan
Reviewed January 15, 2014

We stayed here 2 nights, shortly after Christmas, while waiting to check into a condo. Hotel is clean, service is very good, breakfast is excellent. We had a problem the first night with air conditioning going out, but management moved us the second night and did their best to make it right. The hotel management was definitely wanting to provide excellent service and to make amends, of which my wife and I were very appreciative. Would definitely stay here again, in fact already made reservations!!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family