“Great staff and service! Large resort with plenty to do or just relax.”
Review of Moon Palace Cancun

Moon Palace Cancun
Ranked #23 of 175 Hotels in Cancun
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Carmel, Indiana
“Great staff and service! Large resort with plenty to do or just relax.”
Reviewed February 21, 2011

My husband and I recently spent a week a the Moon Palace in Cancun. It was our 2nd time at this resort (first visit was in 2006). We had a great experience with wonderful service and hospitality--especially by iBeth (cocktail waitress at the Sunrise pool) and Daniel (Activity staff at Sunrise pool). All of the staff were very friendly and went out of their way to accommodate us. One morning they were working on a water pipe in our building and we had no water so we were able to shower in an available room and this was all arranged very quickly for our convenience. The food is great and we loved the outdor lap pool in the newer section, Grand.

1 Thank kellsharpe

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6,078)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed February 21, 2011

First, let me send out a HUGE thank you to Felipe, Veronica, Miriam, Luis and Jimy at the pool down by the Grand. They were amzing and it was a pleasure getting to know them. I would have wanted to leave after the first 3 days if not for their freindliness and hospitality. (To those of you who question reviews with employess first and last names- The employees will give you a card with this info on it if you get to know them and ask that you mention them in your review, if you do one. I think they may get some recognition from this and I am more than willing to give kudos to those deserving them! Unfortunately, I lost the cards and am going on memory of just the first names. )

Ok, to start our stay, we were on the fancy side. But, due to the music being played on a 15 minute rotation constantly, we moved to the Sunrise. Here, our air conditioner was as loud as a train going through the room, our toilet leaked (just waiting for a slip and fall), the door to hide the fridge did not shut properly and was about to fall off its hinge. Hello pinched finger! We sucked it up and just tried to enjoy ourselves. The following morning, our safe no longer worked so we spent the day carrying our valubles around after we complained and were told that these things would be fixed during the day while we were gone. Upon returning to the room, we had a voice mail saying that we needed to be IN the room for them to fix the safe........and the toilet still leaked, AC still loud, door not fixed. So, they sent someone to fix the toilet, and the safe would have to wait til the next day. So, AGAIN, we moved. Although, we could have stayed, not using the toilet for an hour or two and getting the safe fixed the next day. Our third and final room was ok, other than some poor workmanship on cabinet doors and the shower door.

Now, in regards to the employees 'working' at the desks scattered about the lobby- Maybe a little friendliness? And if you, at a certain desk, do not do what I am looking for, kindly point me in the right direction, instead of giving me the brush off. (Yes, Manuel, I am referring to you.). This man was the rudest person we encountered during our 10 day stay.

Finally, the food. While the food is good, I was tired of it by day 6. More variety would be nice, one cannot live on chocolate cake (from room service) alone. Unfortunatley, I discovered the grouper with coconut sauce late in our stay and never made it back for seconds. It was simply divine! Cooked to perfection and absolutley delicious! The staff in all the restaurants were friendly. My only complaint would be that they sat us near the silverware station a few times when there were plenty of other tables available! No one wants to eat with silverware clanging right behind them and waiters bumping the back of your chair every time they pass by is not conducive to an enjoyable meal.

All said and done, I have no intention of returning in the near future.

Manitoba, Canada
Reviewed February 21, 2011

We only stayed here for one night because our flight was cancelled and this was where our travel agency transferred us. This resort was unbelievable! I cant even believe how big it is or how many restaurants there is. We only ate at the buffet and it was amazing! The service by the pool and in the lobby were incredible!!!!
The room we were in had a jacuzzi which was awesome. The beds were the comfiest hotel beds I have ever slept in. and the blankets were actual comforters and not just sheets. The shower was a huge walk in shower that had tons of hot water!!
Our room was pretty far from the lobby which was the only downside but i think there are shuttles and that we just didnt use them because we were there for such a short time.

The pool is amazing. It is huge and it wasnt even the biggest one there. At the pool we were at there were two swim up bars and at one you could order pizzas and that at. The pool water wasnt to cold which was awesome!

We did have a few tiny bugs in our room but thats probably because the rooms are basically outside.

And when you get the all inclusive... they mean all inclusive! everything is the mini bar is free... room service is free... lattes and sandwiches from the little cafe are free!! No hidden costs!!

For only staying at this hotel for such a short time, we loved it! Our flight was at 5pm so when we checked out at 12 they let us stay there at eat and hang out by the pool till we left for free. This resort it unbelievable and next time we return to mexico we would love to try out the palace resorts!!

Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank jennkay
lake orion, michigan
Reviewed February 21, 2011

I'll try to make this as complete as possible, so it may be a bit long.

First, this resort is HUGE, and for the size, it is amazing that everything is run as well as it is. We checked in on Saturday, February 12, and the weather was horrible. We were taken directly to the VIP lounge, which is a bit of a joke. We basically sat there for about 5 minutes, while the 1 rep continued to work on his computer. He then happended to "notice" us waiting, and took us over for check-in. Let me just say that the few instances when I went to the VIP lounge for assistance, either no one was there, or in one case, the rep finished helping the clients he was assisting, and walked out without even acknowleding me, leaving me in an empty office. Upon check-in, we were told that they would take care of our luggage, and were sent off in search of our room. Did I say how big this resort is? We were shown on a map where our room was, but left on our own to find it. Then we waited over an hour for our luggage, only to go back up to the front desk to find it sitting there. I must say, they were extremely apologetic for not delivering it, and it was taken directly to our rooms.

At that time we were asked to meet with out "personal rep" to explain how the $1500 allowance worked. We were with another couple, so the four of us went back to the lobby and waited for our representative. He completed his meeting with the couple in front of us, then it was our turn. He explained how the $1500 worked, what it could be used for. We had been discouraged from up-grading our room, because we were in the Bellina building, which is one of the nicest. By the time he explained the program, and we booked one excursion (the Jungle Tour...awesome, highly recommended), the next appointment arrived and he escorted us to another rep, who already had clients sitting with him. We waited about 15 minutes, and finally left. I had the feeling that the main purpose of this is not only to explain the program, but also to get you to attend the time share meeting. My husband and I are members, so it was explained to us an "up-date" meeting. We went, and of course, sat through the 90 minute meeting, which really lasted 2 1/2 hrs. Even though we are members, they put a great deal of pressure on us to up-grade our membership. Since this was our first time using our membership, and so far we had been less than pleased, we declined. The one benefit of attending this meeting, is of course, the extra bonus to be used for the spa or golfing. And the fact that you can book them without waiting in the ridiculous lines at the 3 desks in the lobby that are allowed to book excursions or treatments. It was not unusual to wait 1/2 hr - 45 minutes to meet with an excursion person. That was the most common complaint that I heard from people waiting.

After we got through the first day, things settled down. The rooms were clean, and very nice. The balconies at Nizuc are about the size of postage stamps, but really, how often are you out there. We did have a problem with our air conditioning on the first day, which they promptly fixed. Our friends had an issue with the humidity in their room, everything was damp the entire stay. However, they did not mention it to the staff, so I can't fault the resort for that.

I had several spa treatments over the course of the week. Manicure, Pedicure and 25 minute back rubs are included in our membership, however, they were not done at the spa, but at the Beauty Salon. I also had a Hot Rock Massage, which was only okay (the rocks were only luke warm), a Holistic massage (Bernice is the BEST), and a Purifying Facial. Overall, the spa was very nice.

Now for the restaurants. This is really a hit or miss experience. Everyone on this board had raved about La Trattoria...I was very disappointed. Maybe I was expecting to much, but I didn't think it was that good. Los Tacos was awesome! Great atmosphere, right next to the pool at the Grand. Food was delicious, my only complaint was that it closed at 6:00. We enjoyed the Brazilian restaurant, in fact, we ate there two nights. Good food, and good service. The Mexican restaurant at Nizuc was good, the Steak House was okay. Also at at the Grill and the Seafood restaurant, both were just barely okay. Breakfasts at the buffet in Nizuc were very good, with something for everyone. Did not eat at any of the Oriental restuarants, as our friends are not big fans.

The pools are amazing, however, as mentioned in several othere postings, they are not heated. When we arrived, it was in the 60's and raining. Even though the weather improved, after 3 days of weather in the 60's, the pools were freezing. My husband and our friend joked that if they could get a 6 pack of beer, they could drop it in the pool to keep it cold. Our entire week there, we saw very few people in the water, mainly children.

Overall, Moon Palace is a beautiful place, but I think we'll stick with Aventura Spa.

3 Thank tcindy2113
Fort Wayne, Indiana
Reviewed February 21, 2011

The staff and facility was fanominal. Marcelino Chuc Caamal and Verinoca Tzuc were just a few of the staff members that did an outstanding job. We will definately return for another vacation.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
NJ
Reviewed February 19, 2011

Went to the Moon Palace for my sister's wedding and took the whole family (2 young children as well). The Moon Palace is certainly a lovely property with very nice spacious rooms. They cater very nicely to young children, offering in room ammenities such as bath soaps, video games, cookies, etc. The pool scene was also appealing to our children, with the children's pool being their favorite (they loved getting doused by the water buckets and spray guns). The spa was enjoyable and relaxing albeit pricey. My main gripe is with the quality of food servied at ALL the restaurants. We tried all the different restaurants and found the food to be bland at every single one. Many of the buffets featured the same tired dishes that became redundant after a few meals. Even the freshly carved foods seemed lack luster being too tough or overcooked. We really wanted to enjoy the all inclusive nature of our stay, however, we found ourselves picking at our dishes for most of the trip. Very rarely does one lose weight on a vacation, but in this case we did.

As an additional note, if you want a quiet room DO NOT stay on the first floor anywhere in this hotel. People are always coming and going throughout the grounds at all times of the day. As a result, we were often awakened by loud conversations in the hallways or drunken individuals walking throughout the gardens.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank boubiemm
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed February 19, 2011

We went here through a timeshare exchange. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY HERE. You have to pay an additional up-front "all-inclusive" fee. A LARGE $FEE. You can get just as good, if not better service from a resort where the people are working for the money. Since they have already got your large fee in advance, there is NO incentive for quality customer service, especially if the customer has a complaint. We wasted lots of time that should have been spent enjoying our vacation, and instead we were dealing with "that's not my job" type of people trying to get a problem resolution. It was not worth the time and the money. We have enjoyed ourselves much more at other resorts where the exchange fee was the only price we had to pay...approx $149 - $199 for an entire week. This place cost us approx. $3,000 up front for four people, and that was at a discount price! Definitely NOT worth it. Spend your money somewhere else!!!!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank yrinmyhart
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cancun
Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita
#8 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
Iberostar Paraiso Maya
Iberostar Paraiso Maya
#5 of 11 in Playa Paraiso

Been to Moon Palace Cancun? Share your experiences!