“Wonderful Honeymoon”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
A TripAdvisor Member
“Wonderful Honeymoon”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2006

My husband and I stayed here for our honeymoon. We were reluctant because of some reviews. We had a wonderful time. The staff was so eager to help and make your stay pleasurable and memorable. We loved it and want to go back. There isn't any damage to the hotel from the hurricane. There is one part on the beach but that was far from wear we were staying and they were working to fix that. We loved the pool it was so nice to be able to relax by the pool. The only negative thing was we decide to take the bus into town and do shopping but it was a mall and a lot of stuff was over prized. This hotel had wonderful food and a lot of options to choose from. We stayed in the main lobby at I think sunrise. The room was nice and clean. You feel like you are at a very luxurious hotel. The only damage we say from the hurricane was in downtown cancun and they are getting the hotels to open back up in May. The people were very friendly everywhere we went. We will definetly be going back. One comment to the parents be aware of the topless women they are all over not just at this resort at many others.

• Stayed March 2006
13 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5,891)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
richmond,va
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2006

We were at the Moon Palace April 22-29th and have nothing but good things to say! There were 4 couples who went in our group. I read trip advisor several times before going to get info. and things to look for, etc. As far as food, we were not disappointed, but if you try each restaurant and not all the ones with buffets, you will definitely get a variety as some of them are al alcarte like the Mexican in the Nizuc lobby and 2 restaurants at the golf/country club, and another in the Sunrise lobby. The one thing that stands out above all others is the superior service at the Moon Palace. From the personnel watering the lawn and cleaning the windows to the guest service employees, everyone bends over backwards to help you and always speaks no matter where you are in the complex. I have a great appreciation for the Mexican culture...they are hardworking and appreciate their jobs. This resort has overcome alot since the hurrican in October. I saw a video on the kitchen tour I took at the hotel. They have come so far and they take care of their employees and family. We did take a bus shuttle to downtown Cancun, and we too were so glad we didn't stay in the hotel zone. Most of the hotels are still in disaray and will probably take some time to get back and running.

The excursions included are worth going to. Tulum tour is included, Island of Mujures is a fun boat ride over (the crew on the boat are very entertaining. They take you over on a 45 min. boat ride to the island for relaxation or snorkeling, dolphin tour (these are extra) for 2 hours and then back on the boat to a shopping end of the island. Take advantage of all of them! We stayed at the Nizuc side and it's about a 5 minute walk to the Sunrise side. Both ends have restaurants and plenty of pools.

If you have a chance or want a great restaurant off-site, go to Perico's in Cancun. The entertainment at the restaurant is great and food is good too. We had a blast. It will take getting a taxi to get there: about $40 each way, but it's worth it.

All in all, I will definitey go back and take my teenagers next time. The all-inclusive is the way to go.

18 Thank go2mch
Wylie, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2006

We have stayed at the Moon Palace Sunrise 10 times and am looking forward to #11 in November. Need I say anymore?

• Stayed May 2005
5 Thank Carolutly
Reading
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2006

Well, we got married in the Moon Palace on 30th March 2006, and i would reccomend this to anyone, We were a little apprihensive about how many weddings were conducted each day, but got married at 4pm, hired a private terrace area for us and our 15 guests and then had an evening meal on an outdoor gazebo area whilst being serenaded by Mexican bands!! The whole day went without a hitch, infact alot of this was due to our wedding co-ordinator Pilar, she worked with us in every aspect of our wedding, ensuring it went without a hitch and she certainly pulled it off, we have both arrived back home and agree there was nothing we would have changed or wished we would of had that we diddnt, even down to the throwing of confetti, they were cool with just about everything, The horse drawn carraige is out of this world and makes getting married here a little unique, The setting, the staff, the ease, was just as we hoped, I would love to go back and do it all over again, Pilar made us feel completley relaxed in the days prior to the wedding, the blood tests were a little horrid, if your like me and a little weak stomached!! The flower choices were excellent, we ordered extra buttonholes and wrist corsages for our mothers and a boquet for my daughter who was our bridesmaid, We had photographs and negatives and a dvd all for a 1/4 of the price you would have paid in the UK! If your thinking about tying the knot here, do it, just hope you get Pilar as your wedding co-ordinator as this lady knows her stuff and we are eternally thankful to her!!

We travelled to the Moon Palace with 15 family and friends aged between 7 - 74, all of whom enjoyed there stay immensly, The food choices were great, never felt like i was eating the same thing, breakfast buffet choices were beyond belief, I cannot rave enough about the place. Staff are so friendly and always on hand offering more drinks or just a courteous Hola" The pools were immaculate, gardens well maintained and rooms very nice, The jacuzzi is a lovely addition and the walk in shower, I know alot of people have written that the rooms are simple and the jacuzzi's take up too much room, but from our point of view the rooms were more than adequate for the time we spent in them, If your intension is to spend most of your holiday in your room then yes, perhaps the rooms are small, but we were there to make the most of the hotel and facilites and we sure did!!

The beach was white sand and yes the seaweed did wash up during the day, but the tractor was continually working its way up and down the beach clearing it all.

We stayed on the Nizuc side of the hotel, we only visited the Sunrise side when we did the kitchen tour, (would reccomend) but found the Nizuc side was nicer and alot less busy, infact we did not go back to the Sunrise at all during the rest of our stay.

We only stayed at the Moon palace for one week, the family and friends then went home and we went off to the Aventura Spa Palace further down the coast, whilst this was also a great hotel, was sure glad we got married at the Moon, the wedding gazebo here was on a man made beach and you had to walk past the pool and down steps to get to it, much nicer setting at the Moon plalce for photos too as the Aventura has no beach, just a sea wall and lagoon type area. Having said that, again the hotel and staff were faultless, this place is a definate option for those looking for a quieter holiday with no kids (Adult only resort), but would have been gutted if we had opted to get married there! Please do not take that the wrong way, because the hotel was beautiful, South and North lobbies, alot closer together than the Moon palace, easy walking distance and lots of good evening entertainment, we sampled the Andromena Disco a couple of nights and had a really good lgiggle, cheesy tunes but who cares no one knows you and your on holiday!!

Overall the Palace Resorts met our expectations and much more, i loved it from start to finish and will definatly be visiting again!!

• Stayed March 2006
34 Thank Mexmarchmoon
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2006

We spent $2800 for one night - we left after 1 night... it was so bad! SEWER smell everywhere, food... you have to be real drunk to eat that...

Rooms.. disgusting... moldy, nasty, 10 year old beds are a torture... Never got our money back either! Beach - awful - dark nasty water with sea weed. No sandy beaches one is used to in a normal cancaun place - just stones.

• Stayed September 2005
11 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Bridgeton, NJ
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2006

We stayed at the Moon Palce 4/24/-4/28/06, and after reading reviews on this website for months in advance, I am convinced that the people who say it is 5 star haven't traveled much, and the people who say it is awful are far too picky. First of all it is a motel, not a hotel. Hotels rooms are accessed by elevator inside of a building. Motel rooms are accessed outside after climbing steps to get up flights. Not that this makes much of a difference, but it is funny that not one review I had read mentioned this. Moon Palace is a very nice, very huge motel resort. I'm sure it is considered 5-star in Mexico, but in America it would be comparable to a Holiday Inn or Marriott.

The rooms are of average in some ways, but not in others. For example the furniture and decorations are very Holiday Inn Express, but they make great use of the small space with a two person hottub in each room (which we used several times a day), and a beautiful free standing shower which could easily accomadates two people.

The food was good, not great. I kind of felt that I was eating the same thing everyday, just differnet variations, depending on which restaurant we went to. The best restaurant was La Trattoria in the Golf Course. The golf course also has a very romantic lounge to sit under the stars with your spouse.

I was sooooo glad not to have many teenagers or young adults partying everywhere I went. I pictured Cancun to be like girls gone wild, which downtown Cancun it, but not Moon Palace. The resort was filled with mostly couples, some young, some older, and a few families with small children.

Speaking of downtown Cancun, we went on s ahopping trip one day to the hotel district strip and I am soooooooo glad that we did not stay there. It is dumpy and reminded me very much of our missions trip to Honduras three years ago. Moon Palace is in a great location off the beaten path. You never have to leave the resort if you don't want to.

The pool was beautiful, just don't sit near where they play the pool games if you don't want a Spring Break type of environment. When they brought out the professional club dancers from the downtown bar Cocobongo to give a preview of the bus trip to the club that night, my husband said, "It's time for us to leave the pool now." (I have a grear husband).

The time share people are annoying in the lobby, but they are tolerable. What the biggest annoyance was was when they called my room two days in a row. It's once thing to try to nab me in the lobby, another to invade the privacy of my room. I got very adament with them the second time and told them not to call back. They didn't.

The service is incredible. That is what makes the resort. Everything is done with a smile and they go out of their way to roll out the red carpet for you.

Don't let this review discourage anyone. Please know that no hotel, motel, resort, etc. is perfect, even if it is 5 star. The enjoyment of a vacation is dependent on the people that you are with. Whether you are celebrating your wedding, honeymoon, anniversary, or just a family vacation, you will have a good time if you focus on love of the people you are with. If you vacation at the Moon Palace, and you are with the people you love, you will have a fabulous, memory making, time. We did! Don't drive yourself crazy with all of the details of every review on the Moon Palace. You will be wasing your time. Instead, spend time thinking of ways you can make it special for your loved ones. This is what makes memories to last a lifetime!

83 Thank lynnp111
Weston, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2006

sm94225 had some great points. With the exception of the mirror issue I agree with everything but we spent 7 days there and I have many things to add.

I traveled with my wife and now famous 3 year old daughter Bella to Moon Palace on April 21st through April 28th. I will touch on as much as I can but will probably think of more and post a follow up review.

Airport:
The airport is much nicer than I remember 7 years ago, it is now efficient and clean, bright and renovated. We were through the airport in less than 20 minutes.
However they are still fixing damage from the hurricane somewhere else in the airport so everyone exits through the same "gauntlet" of transport companies and other vendors.
They will not let you exit with a luggage cart so we needed to carry or roll all our luggage through this area trying to hold on to our 3 year old. This was overwhelming but we knew from making reservation who we were looking for, Chaza travel, they had told us what color uniforms to look for and we located one of the representatives very quickly and that was a relief. We hopped in a van with a very friendly and helpful driver and were at the Moon Palace Nizuc side in 20 minutes.

Check in:
There was no line no wait, we arrived midday on Friday. The front desk agent explained some basics of the hotel and gave us our towel cards our safe key and our room key. He explained that our room was on the 3rd floor but there is no elevator so we were concerned again because of our daughter that the stairs would be a problem. The agent gave me a look like..."go see this room first" so we did . Our bellman was a young man who should be the General Manager one day, he was so pleasant and helpful, the perfect host.
When we got to our room and saw the view we realized we had one of the best views in the whole resort. Third floor overlooking the pool and the beach with a southeast view, could not have been much better. We opened the sliding glass door and let in the ocean air and the soothing poolside music. We quickly changed into our swimsuits and left for the pool.

Pool Nizuc:
There are many different levels, an activity or main pool, two swm up bars, childrens area, and the south end has a "beach entry".
We discovered that the "palapas" or covered area chairs are a hot commodity. By midweek you do need to get down there early to reserve with towels. But there were many available chairs any time of the day that had no shade including all the chairs actually in the pool.
The north lower pool has a swim up bar and is very popular at the beginning of the day. The north upper pool with the kiddie pool is the best for families.
The main pool has the activities and with the speakers can get really rocking during the day with all the volley ball and water ballon fights all the fun stuff. Do not wait until your last day to get involved with these activities because it is the best way to make "resort friends" that you will see and party with all week, so have some fun. The swim up bar in the main pool gets very busy in the late afternoon, tons of fun with people from all around the world. We did not know about the "beach entry" south end of the pool until late in the week, this was one of our favorite parts so find it on the first day it is a nice gradual entry, great for kids and just wallowing half in half out of the water which is the perfect temperature, actually very warm. My daughter made so many friends, everywhere we went we heard, "Hi Bella"... "Ola Bella".

39 Thank ssource
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cancun
Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita
IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar
#8 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
4.0 of 5 bubbles 4,538 reviews
Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa

Been to Moon Palace Cancun? Share your experiences!