“third trip to Moon Palace!!”
Review of Moon Palace Cancun

Moon Palace Cancun
Ranked #22 of 176 Hotels in Cancun
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed July 11, 2005

We have been to Moon Palace 3 times, all in March (school break) We have gone with our own teenagers, other relatives and this year another family with teenage daughter and a friend of the girls. Everyone had a good time. We let the teenagers take the shuttle in to Beach Palace for the beach a couple of times during the day and for shopping etc. and felt safe doing that. We were happy to not be in the hotel/bar zone at night, as the kids all wanted to try out the bars! That way there was no temptation. They loved having free reign of the resort, and coming and going as they pleased, after all there is no where else to go.We had a presidential suite, so we had a beautiful bedroom and living room area with large kitchen and a bedroom for the teens, other people we travelled with were nearby. Food was good, I think better and improved each trip we have been down there- seems they are listening to the guests. Certainly everyone is correct in saying all the staff are wonderful, so helpful, happy and polite. Tipping is not necessary, but they are very appreciative if you do tip a small amount occassionally. We have also been to Xpu=Ha resort, very quiet, not much going on there, but good to go for a day to see the animals, snorkel etc. This trip we went to Isla Mujeres and on the jungle tour, but have done the ruins at Tulum and snorkeling at Akumal. Look forward to going back and playing some golf next time!

• Stayed: March 2005
19  Thank jayj
Write a ReviewReviews (23,133)

Reviewed July 11, 2005

We visited Cancun from July 4 - July 8 2005. I must say, much much more than I expected. There was so much to do, five days is definitely not enough time. We will definitely go back soon.

We stayed at the Moon Palace. The grounds, pool, entertainment, activities all top notch.

The beach as you've probably read is not so great. There is alot of seaweed that washes up to shore. We took the shuttle to the Beach Palace for the day, where the beach is magnificent. Everything you'd expect from Cancun. White sand, green water, just beautiful.

The rooms at the Moon Palace were ok. I would rate it a 7 on a scale from 1 to 10. Our jacuzzi kept breaking down until they installed a new pump or something.

Service was great. Everyone was so friendly and willing to accomodate anything.

Food was excellent as well. We enjoyed all the restaurants the variety of food and service that came along with it.

I can't wait to go back!!!

Couple of things I noticed that may be helpful to those traveling:

1. When you are shopping, try to haggle them down to at least 1/2 of what they are asking for. They start really high. I started at $120 for this necklace and got the guy all the way down to $30 (He probably still made a good profit LOL). Be willing to walk away, there are so many stores selling the same items, you'll find what you're looking for at the price you want to pay.

2. Stay away from the presentation that Guest Services tries to get you to attend. They offer Palace money to go. I would not recommend this for anyone. We almost got sucked in. They want to sell you a membership to the Palace resorts. For the Jacuzzi suites she started out at 50 weeks for $24,700. They came all the way down to $5900 for 25 weeks and a free seven day trip. At that point, my husband could see I was at my breaking point and I was fumbling with numbers in my head, he had to intervene. They say they will ask you yes or no at the end and if it's no, it's no. No hard feelings, etc. THATS A JOKE. They seriously would not take NO for an answer. In fact, our sales person looked like she wanted to cry (all an act) and she had to bring someone else in to see if she could hook us.

16  Thank avaterdee
Reviewed July 9, 2005

My wife & I just returned from a wonderful 7 nights, July 1- July 8 at the Moon Palace. We were somewhat concerned after reading some of the negative reviews leading up to our trip. At this point all we can figure is some people can not be made happy.
We arrived at the resort at 2:30 and were sitting on the balcony of our room at 3:00. Maybe we were just lucky about how long it took.
We had requested to be placed on the Sunrise side but were given a room on the Nizuc. As it turned out this was the first blessing as the Nizuc was full but is less crowded than the Sunrise. I believe the Nizuc has 500 rooms and the Sunrise has 1500 so as you can see less people. We were given a room on the third floor in the Orquidea section. This was directly on the beach right in front of the pier. What an outstanding view.
The service was GREAT from the pool waiters , bellboys, front desk, food waiters and maids. I would like to thank our maid Soledad for her great service. The things she was able to make with the towels was amazing.
The grounds are kept in park like condition. The beach is nice except for the seaweed. But the resort does all it can to keep the beach cleared off.
The pool is huge on the Nizuc side and even bigger on the Sunrise side but as I said before ther are alot more people on the Sunrise.
The food was excellant. There will not be a problem in finding the foods you like. There is one well kept secret. We were told about a new restaurant at the clubhouse on the golf course that has just opened. I believe the name is La Trattatolier. You get on the lobby to lobby shuttle and get off at the papalaya in between the lobbies. You will be picked up by golf cart and taken to the clubhouse. Even if you don't golf you need to see this place. They served an outstanding 7 course meal. Go hunger as it is alot of food.
In regards to tipping. I never saw a case people deserved more to be tipped. They do not expect it but are very appreciative when they are. One couple we met found out the service people make less for a 10 hour day than most people make in an hour. As you will see they are some of the hardest working people you will meet.
So if you have plans to vacation at the Moon Palace my advice is disregard all the negatives you might have read and go have yourself a wonderful relaxing vacation. WE did and WE DID. We very seldom return to a resort the second time but we will go back to the Moon Palace.

• Stayed: July 2005
41  Thank Sun&Sand
Reviewed July 8, 2005

I have to say that both of my experiences at Moon Palace were fabulous and we intend to go back again some day. The first time we went was after we were first married and this past time was with our 2 1/2 year old son. My husband and I consider ourselves to be a bit snobbish when it comes to vacations. We are quite picky and difficult to please. Moon Palace meets most of our expectations.

We went for a short stay from May 1st until the 6th. This is a perfect time to go since there are no crowds. We have this luxury as our child is not in school yet. We never had to wait for anything, and all of our requests were accommodated. We wanted to be near the pool and the Sunrise lobby, and they put us in Mango which is a wonderful location. Last time we stayed in Nizuc, which was just as nice - the lobby is just smaller.

Our room was nice. Yes, the beds are a bit hard, but it didn't bother us. The staff is just wonderful. We had so many wonderful conversations with the people that work there, and they were so nice to our son. They all went out of their way to make him comfortable - and it is tough to please a 2 year old! One of the waiters, Manuel, went over and above the call of duty. We have a great picture of the two of them together.

We did not take advantage of the included excursions this time since we did not think our son could handle an entire day out. But we took the shuttle to Cancun and spent a few hours at La Isla, the mall. Great shopping - but expensive. Well worth a few hours on a rainy Tuesday.

The beach is less than desirable, but we spent an hour playing in the sand with our son anyway. There is an odor that smells like sulphur, but you rarely smell it anywhere but the beach. The pools more than make up for the beach, and quite honestly are better for young children - especially the kiddie pool. We played miniature golf and went on the playground too. Both great features!

The food is fantastic. We did buffets each meal since our son is picky, but the other a la carte restaurants are excellent too. There are 10 to choose from. Some of them close a night here or a night there, but that's ok. They also have shows each night. It isn't broadway, but it is quite nice to have the option.

If you are thinking about booking a vacation here - we strongly recommend it! Don't let the negativity of some of the reviews bother you. There is so much to do at Moon Palace and you can create your own experience! I even stole some time to go to the spa and have the best massage I have ever had!

• Stayed: May 2005
40  Thank trooper09
Reviewed July 7, 2005

My wife, two boys and I returned from the Moon Palace after a 3 night stay with mixed results. The hotel itself was very nice. It was clean. Everyone was extremely nice and helpful. Generally speaking, the food and drink were good. The walk up, serve yourself, beer tap is a wonderful thing. The pool was very large, but with plenty of chairs and bars. You have just read the good part. Now for the negative...Too many people. It always felt like a convention was just letting out. Masses of people everywhere. Too crowded. Our room was too far from the lobby. If you go, unless you like walking long distances, request a room close to the lobby. We either had to wait...and wait...and wait for a golf cart to pick us up, or we got lost trying to follow the maze of buildings and rooms to get to our room. When you get there, hurry and close your room door. There were plenty of bugs and mosquitos. One night, I literally had to grab a slipper and kill about 15 bugs that must have gotten in when we opened our door. I called the front desk and asked them to send someone to spray around our door. Just to get back to the lobby to go to the pool or to go swimming or to come back to the room to change or rest...we had to either walk a mile or call the golf carts whose drivers were probably the only sour, unhappy faces working at the hotel. At one of the buffet restaurants, the food was good, but there were always long waits for live cooks if you wanted an omelet or a smoothie, or pasta. There's one lady, standing at one blender, making one smoothy at a time with a line of people waiting. My wife took so long to get her omelet, the boys and I had already finished eating. The beach was filled with seaweed and almost nobody was in it.

I could go on and on...but I hope you get the idea.

• Stayed: June 2005
9  Thank Truthsayer9
Reviewed July 7, 2005

We just got back from staying at the Moon Palace for 7 nights June 22-29. We had read all the reviews before we left and we came to the conclusion, some people are never going to be happy. The food was good for buffets, lots of other resturaunts if you don't like buffets, the hotel is one of the most amazing hotels I've ever seen, the staff was very nice and treated you like you were a king and queen. We have made plans to go back next year because we had such a great time.
Dean

• Stayed: June 2005
15  Thank Dean M
A TripAdvisor Member
Newport, Rhode Island
Reviewed July 7, 2005

First of all I would like to say that everyone prior to my going to Moon Palace that wrote a negative review, you need to lighten up. Moon Palace was more than we expected. Like everyone else, I had my doubts about having booked our wedding/honeymoon at Moon Palace, but we were pleasently surprised. We stayed there from June 22nd to the 30th. Got the the resort early, our room was not ready, had lunch, wondered around, and then asked ever so nicely if I could change rooms, and have get our room early, and they granted my wish. I needed a room closer to the lobby because we had a dozen people to locate as they came in. Originally we had a room in sombrero, which is a hike to the lobby, but got placed in Mango. Great location! As for the following:

Room: great room, beds are hard, just place the comforter under the sheet, it helps. The objects the maids make with the towels are a great touch. Our min i bar was stocked everyday.

Food: Wonderful! Omlets for breakfast, snacks by the pool for lunch, and steak and seafood for dinner. All the desserts we had were out of this world, especially the mousses and the ice cream. Try the coconut ice cream, it's amazing. Fragata is excellent as well as Arrecifes on Nizuc. Frozen drinks at the pool bar are a little light on the alcohol, but they will surely top off any drink with a little more if you ask.

Activities: Never a dull moment. Always something going on. Salsa lessons, water volleyball, soccer on the beach, jet skiing, parasailing etc. We liked people watching the best, in the shade, by the pool. Depending on the day, you will need to get a chair early, especially if you want one in the shade. Nightlife is okay, head into town if you want a real party.

Cleanliness: Excellent- the rooms, grounds, hallways, lobby are all kept up. The pool does tend to get cups and straws in it, but just swim around them. Or pick them out like I did.

Wedding: was all that I could have wanted. Great place to get married. You have an hour meeting, and they take care of the rest. How much more less stressful can it get. All you have to do is make it to the gazebo. The pictures and video were wonderful. Very professional, great shots. The video will make you cry again.

Trips: We took the trip to Xcaret. Swam with the dolphins. Well worth it. We didn't get to enjoy the snorkling and the beach, cause we had a tropical rainstorm come in that day, but it didn't really matter cause we were in the water a lot of the time. Make sure you sign up for trips the day you arrive, as they do fill up quickly. Especially if you want to do the dolphin thing. The kitchen tour they offer is good in that the dinner they serve to you that evening is wonderful. Plus you get to meet a lot of interesting people.

Ocean: Yes it does have seaweed in it. But I am used to that were I live. The pool is big enough and enjoyable enough that you will forget you are on the ocean. We visited Beach Palace to go to the beach. The water was incredible. The resort itself doesn't even compare to Moon.

We can't wait to go back. It is well worth the all inclusive rate.

28  Thank A TripAdvisor Member