“Moon Palace exceeded my expectations.” 5 of 5 bubbles

Moon Palace Cancun
Ranked #22 of 181 Hotels in Cancun
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Denver, Colorado
“Moon Palace exceeded my expectations.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2009

We arrived during the height of the swine flu outbreak--our flight had about 18 passengers and so we went through Customs within 10 minutes. However, some uniformed lady who I thought was a security officer tried to prevent us from going to the beach pronto by wanting us to sign up for some trip to show us a property somewhere and join a tour she was selling us. Thank you, mil gracias, but I would like to go to my resort. "Enjoy my country!" she said, pained by our rejection.

Moon Palace - When they say all-inclusive, they mean it. I had a superior de luxe room, with a bar well stocked, free calls to USA, comfy bed, jacuzzi in my room overlooking the Mexican Gulf. Even the sunny days throughout my stay were included!
The staff were all very friendly and eager to please and every one does their job with a smile and genuine eagerness to make your stay memorable. I loved the South American wines with my dinners, which were all thoughtfully presented and served. The buffet spread was varied and plentiful and we were treated very nicely everywhere we went and were given attention when we have questions.
The pool was crystal clear. I prefer the ocean so I only swam briefly in the pool.
The beach was clean and we had the resort to ourselves. We counted less than 15 guests when we went to have lunch by the beach. And the gulf kept beckoning me!

I have read about the complaints of the seaweed at the beach. My opinion is that, the seaweed lives in that water; I am the one asking to share its space so I just looked for a space, and there was plenty, to swim in. I saw four other guests doing the same thing. Life was good.

I had my meals amongst the Palapa Fragata (I am not sure of the name now) and Palaba Barracuda and breakfasts at the Main lobby restaurants. Fragata has a delicious grilled seafood entree ( a la carte on dinners) and those empanadita appetizers are worth mentioning as well! I had a bottle of Mexican dry white wine and I also tried a Malbec from Argentina. At the Barracuda, I had a good Merlot from Argentina and a nice T-bone steak. My point is that they will not dissappoint you with the meals. There also was plenty of fresh fruits.

The resort is family oriented so as the days wore on, more and more guests arrived and the place was transformed with kids' laughter, families attending their children's weddings, etc.

I had a spa treatment, a holistic massage. It was good but not outstandingly unforgettable. I think their spa treatments are overpriced, $119 for a 45 minute treatmenm $81 for 25 minutes. One can get a treatment at a five-star spa for less than what Moon Palace spa charges. In fact, I had a treatment during an adventure cruise of the Galapagos Islands where I was taken by boat to a floating glass bottom treatment room where I and the only other person was the aesthetician and a curious sea lion that kept checking us out from the boat's bottom. And that treatment was less than a $100. Long after the treatment I got at Moon Palace, I was still thiking about how they arrived at their pricing:-) but I was okay once I think that I have contributed something to kick the global economy back into gear.

All in all, our experience with the Moon Palace Sunrise was positive- the staff were friendly and courteous, everyone was eager to help and please, the food was very good, the service great, room were clean and well equipped, the beach was clean, the landscape pleasing. It also gave me a slice of Mexican hospitality and a taste of their authentic cuisine. Mil gracias a ustedes!

This is an isolated resort--to some people this is a negative. I loved it. Grab your sunblock, a good book and find your place under the sun and yes,under the moon, at Moon Palace Spa and Golf resort. I did!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
8 Thank Mocha2008

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5,819)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Indianapolis
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2009

As all inclusives go, the food was fine and table service generally good. If you wanted to lay by the pool and drink all day it was also fine but if you wanted to do anything else, it was terrible. The beach was covered with seaweed to the point it was unusable and the seaweed stank. The hotel is far away from Cancun so if you wanted to do anything off the resort site, you had to take a lengthy bus trip. Not only was check-in a nightmare, but it took over an hour to schedule a spa appointment. I think their computer systems must still be DOS 2.0 as anything that needed to be scheduled had to be done on what appeared to be old CRT monitors that ran real slow. The three times we tried to schedule things the pople running the computers did not know how to use them. Also, the power went out for an entire day which we were told is not the first time. Customer service and hotel management could not have cared less and some of them were even rude. When we complained to the corporate office, they just refered us back to the hotel management who basically said tough beans. You try staying in two rooms in Mexico for a total of more than $1,000 per night without air conditioning. We have gone to Cancun often and will go back. It just won't be to the Moon Palace.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank TracymIndianapolis
Mexoco
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2009

This was a family trip booked to celebrate my 40th birthday. And ohh what a trip to remember. We were recommended by many people to visit the island of Cancun. On arrival at the hotel we were amazed at the beautiful settings. There was so much to do there especially for our 2 boys aged 12 and 9, the food and drinks were amazing, quality and choice, also the service including the room service, the staff were so helpfull and always willing to please in every area of service.The only problem we had was the size of our bedroom and the size of the beds. We expected a family room, which in the past when visiting other 5 star family hotels,ie in Eygpt, Turkey the family rooms were huge with ample size beds and a lounge area with seting and a settee, and masses of hanging space for al the clothes needed for a family of 4 for a fortnight . Our family room was a double room with the kingsize bed taken out and 2 much smaller beds replaced by it. The beds were not big enough for 2 kids to sleep in together and we had to top and tail one kid to one parent just to get some kind of sleep, hardly luxery for a £6000 holiday, our kids beds at home are bigger. Not very romantic, there was no private space whatsoever. The room had a small table and 2 chairs to sit at, so if we wanted to eat breakfast in the room for a change 2 of us had to eat on the bed. . The large jacuzzi bath at the end of the room was a novelty at first but took so long to fill we only used it twice and my son even contemplated sleeping in there at night for more room.It was taking up valued space that a lounge area could have been with a decent sized table and chairs and a bed settee.It would put me off booking for the moon palace again as a family,as sleeping is a big important part of a holiday and we all got very little in the 2 weeks we were there. As a couple going for a hoilday to the Moon Palace its truly the best place to go, but leave the kids at home.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Barbers154
Cape COd
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2009

We spent the first three nights of our Cancun vacation at the Moon Palace. We traveled with our 14 year old daughter and 17 year old son. It was our first experience with AI and one of the reasons we picked the resort was that our kids were free. We were pleasantly surprised at how lovely the resort was and how much there was to do.

Checkin:
Was fabulous. We were immediately led to the Nizuc lobby bar, given a flower, a cold towel and a drink. We sat eating popcorn and drinking our drink while we were checked in and before we could finish our beer, we were brought to our room which was ready at 1pm when we arrived.

Getting around:
We are a very active family who likes to move. We chose to stay at Nizuc because it was right in the middle of everything. Our room was in the main building and overlooked the pool and ocean. The balcony was small, but had a really nice view. The resort is big, but there is actually a beautiful path that runs along the beach the whole length from Sunrise to Moon Grand so it was quite pleasant to walk from place to place. Also, we had no problem using the Lobby to Lobby transport for dinner if we were in heels and didn't want to walk. On our last day, we got bicycles, very close to the lobby at Nizuc and used them to traverse to the Golf Club which was the only area we hadn't seen yet. We also enjoyed riding the bikes around the entire resort, and if we had realized it sooner, we would have used them more.

Pools/Beach/Recreation:
We spent half the time at the Nizuc pools and some time at Sunrise. Both were lively, and we enjoyed water volleyball at both. We went to Moon Grand one morning for breakfast and hung around the pool with the Taco Bar and the beds. It was way too quiet and small for us and there is no view of the ocean in the background so we didn't last there long. We enjoyed the mini golf course a few times, whenever we would walk between Sunrise and Nizuc we would stop and play since it was on the way, and it was a fun little course. We spent a little time on the beach which I thought was quite pretty and big, but we didn't go in the ocean. We live near the ocean and swim in it all summer, so its not really a novelty for us. We played some basketball, the court is gorgeous, as were the tennis courts. We all used the gym as well. I would go down to the gym in the Nizuc building early while everyone slept to run on the treadmill which had a nice view of the pool and ocean. The others in my family used the gym late afternoon, it was never crowded.

Food/drinks:
We weren't fans of the margarittas(which I normally love) but found a couple of drinks that we liked. The absolute and grapefruit was good, as was the Tequilla sunrise. For beer we drank Dos Equis with lime, it was on tap and was good and refreshing. The pina coladas were good as well. At breakfast a couple of times we had mimosas and they were good. We liked an Australian Cabernet that was at all of the restaurants that we went to. Our kids enjoyed the virgin frozen drinks, too.
The food was pretty good, probably better than I expected at an AI. For breakfast, I liked the buffet and service the best at the Golf Club and the Moon Grand. We ate at the Nizuc buffet as well, but the other two were less crowded and the staff seemed better. We don't really like buffets much, but we could get a waffle, pancakes, or eggs, made to order, which were all really good. For lunch we ate at the two Nizuc pool bars, which had good burgers and steak sandwiches. One day they had a 'catch of the day' lunch on the beach. Definitely, do this if it is availble as the fish was fabulous, fresh and well cooked while you waited on the beautiful beach. The side dishes weren't very good, but the fish was great! We did the Mexican a la carte Los Corporales for dinner one night. None of us liked the food, including the fajitas. It was cold and just didn't taste good. The next night we went to the Italian buffet at Sunrise, which I liked a lot. They prepared Caesar salad tableside and the cooked to order pasta was great, as well as the pizza. The last night we went to the beach restaurant at Sunrise that had a big seafood and meat sampler served for the whole table. The food was good there as well, and again, cooked to order as opposed to sitting in a warmer for hours. We had a pot of coffee and fruit delivered to our room each morning and it arrived promptly. That was our only experience with room service. Our kids liked the little coffee shop off the Nizuc lobby that had frozen coffee drinks and cookies and chocolate covered strawberries and other snacks.

Entertainment
We spent a little time in the casino playing slots. We watched the fire show at Sunrise one night that was fun. We also did some shopping at the carts that were set up around the show. The highlight of our entertainment was the zipline tour. It was fabulous. We left the resort at noon, and it only took 10 minutes to get there. The staff was great (I was nervous) and it was a very memorable thing to do with our teenagers.

Service:
We had great service whereever we went. At one point someone was trying to get a wrapper off of his ice cream and a staff member came out of nowhere to open it for him. Someone always grabbed my plate at the buffets and brought it to the table. We did get cornered for the presentation, but I told the woman our trip was too short to spend the time, and she let me go easily.

All in all we loved the Moon with our kids, and would definitely return with our kids. We left the Moon to move on to the JW Marriott in Cancun which we also loved (see review soon) and would more likely return to without our kids.

12 Thank JCtravelcapecod
Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2009

I had no idea what to expect, I did not take the time to look it up on the net. I have stayed at other resorts and this one is as good if not better than some we have stayed in. I did notice the planes, but big deal what do you expect with it being a resort area. I liked it better than being on the hotel zone. It was the nicest resort that we saw of all the other palace resorts that we went to that week. The beach was beautiful, sea weed of course, good grief people, what do you expect again. The food was good, got a little tired of buffets, so made it a point to hit all the ala cart venues, enjoyed the brazilian, but very cold in there. The Japanese was good and the Italian next door just as good. Service was remarkable. The Spa bar in route from the sunrise, was a pleasant stop, the bar tender, sorry forgot his name, He will remember, (SPRING BREAK) is she still there buddy? Ricky at the gym is a hoot. Thanks for the needed exercise, had to make room for all the food. We stayed at the sunrise, yes ocasionaly we heard noise from the hall, but not enough to wake me and I am a very lite sleeper. Maintenance was right on top of our toilet issue. Thanks again. Bell Hop thanks for getting my luggage to me so promptly, the airport was not so acomadating. Having no luggage for a day is not fun, thank god I packed a suit and pair of shorts on carry on. I will be more prepared next time. I think the only thing that was not fun, was we got there late at night 9:00 due to our luggage not arriving, we were not excorted to our room, we were tired, grumpy, hungry and couldnt find our room and walked about another 2 miles trying to find our room. No one offered a golf cart to room. That would of been nicer, also being told that we could have the option of room service or buffet. We will be back and probably with children next time. I am still waiting on responce about my concern of this dreaded Swine Flu and if there were any reported cases at the resort.

Stayed April 2009
5 Thank dkturner63
Bradford
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2009

Got back on Saturday 25 April from Moon Palace. It's a fabulous hotel with 3 sides - the (new) and very posh looking Grand side, the middle side (Nizuc) where we stayed and then the Sunrise side, then there's the golf club behind with the gorgeous villas. We thought we might have got a drink/cold towel/flower etc on arrival but I guess that's not for all guests?? The room was lovely, bit disappointed as thought all rooms had hammocks, but we did have a fab sea view. It was a bit smaller than I expected from seeing photos but shouldnt complain really. On arrival we had a cake for my son for his 7th birthday which he loved, and they even left us another one a few days later. There was also a bottle of champagne too. Thought the mini bar would be restocked every day but we had to leave a note or call room service if we wanted it re stocking which they did no problem. Great maid service and turndown service was lovely. Room service took a while apart from breakfast which always arrived on time (didnt always get the order right though). Lovely pools, fantastic waiter service - the staff here are so polite and friendly. We always had our lunch at the snack bar at Nizuc side by the beach, really nice food. My son LOVED the kids club, we hardly saw him, excellent staff there and a good varied programme of activities for the kids, cant praise them enough. One thing we did wonder was why Europeans had to wear different wrist bands to Americans?? The food was amazing, I can only imagine that people think all the food tastes the same if they always order the same thing??! The Italian at the golf club was lovely, although the second time we went we did have to wait an hour for a table (the first time a few days earlier we had no wait at all). All the restaurants we tried were great though, couldnt fault them. Think the hotel is a bit too big though, sometimes got a bit fed up of waiting for buses to take us around. And felt a bit cut off as it is miles from anywhere. The beach is nice but as everybody says the sea is not that nice with all the seaweed. The place is so clean though, all the toilets are constantly being cleaned. Went to the Michael Jackson show at Sunrise b- what we saw of it was good but couldnt believe how packed it was so didnt have a very good view. Overall we had a great time in an amazing hotel, any questions please feel free to ask

• 3 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank VikkiHBradford
Cheshire, England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2009

We went to Moon Palace for our daughter's wedding. There were approx 21 of us in the party, including children from 2 years to 17.
The booking in was a bit long winded, but there were quite a few wanting to book in on 5th April! Having said that, the staff brought out bottles of cold water and snacks for everyone and they were very helpful, patient and efficient when booking us in.
The room and view was amazing. We looked over a wedding chapel, so we were able to watch many weddings WHEN we sat on our balcony. We also had an ocean view. Superb!
The room was cleaned daily and the towels changed. The bed linen was changed every other day. The fridge restocked daily with water, juices soft drinks and beers.The liquor bar was also restocked if neccessary. The maids and staff that came into our rooms were wonderful. One dollar, and in our case a couple of English sweets daily, was appreciated by these lovely people.
The wedding was superb! It took place in the chapel of our daughter and partner's choice, which was a short distance from our rooms in the Pelicanos section, Nizuc. It was the only chapel with 'church pews'. That was the reason Michelle and Stacey picked this particular one! After the photos were taken, the reception dinner was held in the Caribbean restaurant on the Grand site, where lots of champagne was served with our very tasty meal.
I have read reviews from people that complain of the 'terrible seaweed' that washes up onto the beach! Well, I can, honestly, tell you that the sea grass definately IS NOT as bad as is made out to be. I and my 9 year old grand-daughter went into the beautiful sea to paddle a few times, and we thoroughtly enjoyed it. She was not fazed at all by this natural occurance, and in fact we had great fun.
Restaurants to visit, in our opinion, are definately the Italian and the Chinese at the Golf. A bit of a trek to get there on the bus and golf cart, but the food is definately worth it, especially the Italian. Also, the steak house, and the Japanese restaurant on the Sunrise side. We always went early to the restaurants, to feed the little ones, also to avoid the queues.
We stayed in Nizuc. It suited us beautifully, because of the little ones. We found that the pools were great for them as they are so young, and we could go to the BBQ palapas or the main restaurant to feed them at meal times. There is always something to satisfy hungry children or adults, no matter where you go .
The only thing that we could fault is the play area that is lacking in the Nizuc side. The parents of the children had to take them to Sunrise, which is approx 7-10 minute walk from Nizuc.
Ok. To finish. I would like to say that we would definately go back to this wonderful hotel, with the wonderful people that look after you. My husband and I have travelled quite a bit, so we can look at this holiday objectively and honestly. I cannot understand how people can complain the way they do. Are they naturally miserable and hard to please?????
I will freely and honestly answer any questions anyone has to ask.

10 Thank caroley60
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cancun
Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita
Iberostar Paraiso Lindo
Iberostar Paraiso Lindo
#5 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,755 reviews

Been to Moon Palace Cancun? Share your experiences!