Moon Palace Cancun
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
The Grand At Moon Palace(Cancun)
  • Beachfront
  • Pool
Sun Palace(Cancun)
24,367 results
All reviewssunrise sectionnizuc sectionflow ridernizuc and sunrisegolf clubla gondolalos tacoslos caporalesresort creditla trattoriaswing barpublic relationspay taxvacation plannersbrazilian restauranthuge resortdolphin swim
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 7, 2014

My second time to Moon Palace referred by my sister who frequents the resort.
It was my husbands first time.

Love the Golf Course restaurants - La Trattoria restaurant and the new Mayan Restaurant at the Grand - book those for dinner as soon as you arrive - The Brazilian is also great if you love Meat and a great salad bar so go hungry.

We stayed in an ocean front room "orchid" with a wonderful view - The spa is very nice - I had 2 great massages - 1 hot stone and 1 aromatherapy - both were good but if you can do one - just do the aromatherapy. Ask for Amelia- just be careful of renos - there are renovations going on so check that out before you go so you can ensure that wont hamper your stay.

2  Thank Mary Dave J
NormaGranados, Public Relations Manager at Moon Palace Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded March 8, 2014

Thank you very much for your feedback, we appreciate when our guests take time after their experience with us to share your comments with our future guests.

We hope to have the honor of hosting you many more times, because we wish to keep surprising you at Moon Palace Golf & Spa Resort.

Moon Palace – Nizuc 2/22/14 – 3/1/14

If you don’t have time to read the entire review, jump to the bottom for a summary
This year we wanted to try another of the Palace resorts. Being members now for several years we have traveled to the Aventura Spa twice, the Beach Palace and the Hard Rock Punta Cana of which we don’t have much positive to say. Let it be known that although we are Palace members, I critique the places we go with an objective pen so that those who read the reviews get a true sense of the resort both good and not so good.

Having to use a mobility scooter when copious amounts of walking are required, I was hesitant to book the Moon Palace as all of the reviews were stating how large this resort was. I decided that I would just take the scooter with me and that was that. When we called for reservations the Grand was full for the dates we selected and the reservation agent suggested the Sunrise. I declined as we heard that it had lots of families and young children. We prefer a quieter environment when vacationing. He stated that Nizuc was much more laid back, so I booked it.
My brother and his spouse along with my Sister and her husband decided they would also come. I used one of my incentive weeks and they ended up getting a good price.
So much for the upfront comments, let’s talk about the resort itself

This resort is very close to the airport. Less than a 15 min ride. The negative is that it is fairly close to the airport and planes do fly nearby. This is not distracting enough to comment any further on it. Just so you know they are there. The resort is handicap friendly and the employees here are very accommodating.

We arrived early, about 11am. Check-in is not until 3pm so the staff stored my scooter and luggage until we were ready for our room. Check-in was a breeze and when they were assigning the room, I asked if we could be in the same building with the rest of our party, they showed us where they were staying and then stated that we would be in an ambassador suite in the main building. what a treat, this room was off the chart. special benefits for members. thank you very much

The lobby is quite nice. Very well done in marble, with a fairly good size bar centrally located. This resort is significantly smaller than all the reviews have commented on. It is about the same as the Beach Palace. It appears that the resort renovation is about 80% complete. They were working on a few pieces of marble on the floors where they were adding marble to some of the steps. A few small outside projects looked like they were not yet started. The only complaint about the work is that they continued working past 6pm on lobby mezzanine and the banging was annoying as folks were attempting to listen to the piano player in the bar area. They should not do this work at dinner time. Particularly in the lobby.

The service here is very good as are most Palace resorts. We had thought that nothing could beat the Aventura Spa, which is now a Hard Rock, but this resort does. We just love the friendliness, hospitality and willingness to serve of the Mexican people. Second to none of all the countries we have been to.

ENTERTAINMENT
Ummm…. That’s all I need to say. They did have a man and women duet in the lobby around dinner time which was pretty good but after 4 days of the same songs it was getting a little old. The Mexican culture night highlighting their traditional dances was the best of the lot.
On the other hand the activities staff at the pool was wonderful. They worked hard all day long, giving Spanish lessons (thanks Shanta), dance lessons, pool and beach activities, games and other fun things to do if you are interested in more than getting a sunburn

RESTAURANTS
There are 3restaurants located on the Nizuc property and 2 palapas, the clubhouse has 2 reservation only restaurants, the Moon Grand 1 and the Sunrise 3 restaurants and 2 palapas.

Nizuc Restaurants

El Manglar (Italian) - **
There were few people dinning here for breakfast when we decided to try it and can see why. The service here needs much improvement for breakfast. We did, however, have a very nice dinner here later in the week and the service was excellent. Better off going to the buffet for breakfast

Arrecifes (Brazillian) - ****
Meat, meat and more meat. This is a meat lovers paradise. Turn your table tag to green, they keep bringing a selection of sirloin, chicken, pork and beef. Turn it red when you are stuffed and cant eat anymore. Nice selection of meats that anyone can find something to their liking. Most were very good. Get there early or you may be waiting a while

Caporales (Mexican)- ***
We ate at this restaurant twice and enjoyed it both times. Mariachis play Tuesday thru Sunday in the restaurant. Dinner both times was excellent as well as service

Talapa Pelicanos (Sushi) ****
Service bar and lunch by day for the main pool and dinner at night. Guadelupe, one the bartenders, is amazing and worth getting to know. He will ensure that you are well taken care of. Burgers and fries as well as chicken fajitas and quesadillas are served at the grill here for lunch. Also is a side bar of nachos with assorted goodies for toppings and some type of ceviche is served daily. At night they have an ala carte sushi menu, which is actually very good and a side bar of chicken teriyaki and a couple of other nice dishes for those non-sushi enthusiasts. Antonio, a server here at dinner, is unforgettable. When he arrived he grabbed a couple pieces of palm prawns and created an amazing grasshopper, one for each of the ladies. He made the evening enjoyable and we had several good laughs with him. Try to make this one of your stops before heading home, you won’t be disappointed.

Sunrise

Momo (Sunrise) - ** for the hibachi food and almost non-existent service
Mono is located in the Sunrise and serves Japanese cuisine. Momo does not take reservations and can get busy. They have both sit down al a carte as well, which are tables surrounding a grill where each table of 12 has one chef. Many folks have commented on how it’s worth getting reservations for one of these tables, however, Momo no longer accepts them, it is first come, first serve. I suggest catching the resort bus in the lobby area at 5:15pm so that you are there at 5:30pm. Most assuredly you will get one. After 6:45pm, most likely not. The performance of the chef is what you are getting here…not the food. Yes the performance was nice; however, the food preparation is not up to Palace standards. That’s the politest way I can put it. The chicken was overcooked and not cut into portions that could be eaten in one bite. They provided no utensils other than chop-sticks, which I can use, but my wife could not. We were well into the eating before we could track someone down to get a fork for her. I had squid and shrimp. The shrimp was tasty but the squid overcooked and rubbery. Service at the tables by the waiters is non-existent. We had to flag them down multiple times as they were zooming by to get salt, water glasses refilled or a glass of wine. I was not impressed. I cannot comment on the sit down dinner menu but heard that the dishes are pretty good. We spoke to others who eaten there and they had the same comment

La Gondala (Italian) - ****
There are three Italian restaurants. One at Nizuc, one in the Sunrise and one at the golf-course. The golf course restaurant was reservation only. We attempted to make reservations on Monday and the next available opening was Thursday at 830pm. We passed. Make reservations for this restaurant as soon as you arrive if you want to eat there.
The Italian at Sunrise was very good. since they do not carry a chianti (are you kidding me I had to summon the sommelier who assisted in wine selection. he selected a Mexican Barbara which was quite nice. A fruity nose, medium body and long finish went well with the filet I ordered. I normally eat medium rare but ordered it medium. It came medium-well. I should have ordered rare and probably would have got my medium rare
Overall the Italian restaurant was excellent and a must do

Moon Grand

Caribeno (Caribbean) - ***
Service was not best here but sufficient. Everyone seemed to enjoy their dinners. Its worth your time to try this one.

SHOUT OUTS TO EMPLOYEES
Shanta – Activities Each resort we have been to there has been one special person that stands out above the rest. At Nizuc, that’s Shanta. Shanta is on the avtivites staff and can found at the main pool area. She is a warm, friendly, outgoing and very active person. She is Palace Resorts and what makes Mexico the top destination for service. We hope that management recognizes this. Thank you Shanta, we hope to see when we come back next year.

Antonio – Server it was just by chance that we ran into this individual. Antonio is a waiter at the Talapa Pelicanos for the dinner service. They serve sushi and a couple of meat dishes buffet style. We wanted to try the sushi and decided to try it here. From the moment we walked in and sat down Antonio made us feel like we had been friends for many years. He surprised us by making a couple grasshoppers out of palm frawns which were amazing. We laughed all night with him and it made our dinner very special and memorable. Thanks Antonio

Guadelupe – Bartender you can find Guadelupe at the Pelicanos talapa bar during the day. He is very quiet but extremely personable and it was pleasure getting to know him
Abraham – room steward the room was meticulously cleaned and Abraham added his special touches each day with his unique towel creations

SUMMARY
None of the restaurants we went to made is want to go back. Although some were better than others. We were unable to get reservations for the Maya or the Italian restaurant at the gold course.

Its very easy to get around at the Nizuc. Everything is close by and within a short walk. If you are physically challenged do not rule this resort out. I brought a mobility thinking I would need it from all of the reviews and was able to get around easily.

The resort is still under construction but pretty much completed. The remodel looks very nice. Rooms here are very nice and the maid service is very good. There were a lot of comments concerning the seaweed at the beach. I for one, did not find it that offensive. It was not all over the beach and each morning the removed it. IT’S A BEACH FOLKS, NOT A SWIMMING POOL!

The entertainment needed some work but a few were worth mentioning particularly the Mexican traditional dancing.

Restaurants are very good, not excellent. Some were better than others. Service was hit or miss, some slow and some impeccable. They need to work on consistency in this sector

Some of the higher end liquors are watered down. Keep an eye out for this and return the drink if it seems weak, we especially noted this when we ordered a goose martini or JW red on the rocks. You will get house brand if you don’t specify and even then its not a guarantee

The Coffee shop in the lobby area is excellent. The Frappes and coffee are very good and they have the best coconut ice-cream in the world

Room Tip: i dont think there is a bad room at the Nizuc as everything is pretty close.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
10  Thank Paul A

WOW! Thank you for your detailed review about your stay with us at Moon Palace Golf & Spa Resort. We are glad to know that you enjoyed all the variety of our services and we appreciate your recognition of our Staff. For all of us your words are our best reason to do a better job every day.

I agree with you, the frappes & coffee are very good and our coconut ice-cream is delicious! I'm sure if a guest read this now … immediately goes to try one.

We hope to have the opportunity to host you again in the near future!

Reviewed March 7, 2014

this is my first ever trip advisor review - i don't really bother with writing them, but i do feel this time i HAD to!
we spent a week at the nizuc in february - it was absolutely amazing! we do resort holidays only, not city breaks and this was one that has etched its place on my no1 list! the pool area was not over crowded and it has different parts where you can 'chillax' on one part (which was near our room; concierge rooms) and it also had the noisy part on the other side with ongoing regular poolside entertainment.
the view from our room was the beach which is beautiful. the sand is very fine and the colour of the water has different shades of blue, with patches of sea green. (i have attached some pictures).
there are many many restaurants to feed different pallets but we didn't cover all of them since we were there for 7 nights. nizuc had 3 main restaurants and the others were in the sister hotel (moon grand) where you can take a short buggy ride or walk it in 10 mins along the beach path (even at night as its very secure and lively).
the bar at the nizuc was much better than the one at the grand (the grand i found over crowded and it almost felt like you are in a shopping mall!) nizuc is a far better hotel with a good atmosphere and good evening entertainment at the bar or near the poolside til approx 10pm. if you are looking for further entertainment then the nightclub over at the grand is also nice.
there is plenty to do for kids as there is a pool slide (which we didn't know until we got there) and also at the grand there is a teens lounge where there are more electronic games and entertainment rooms. (air hockey, snooker/pool etc). from toddlers to the OAP's, there is always something for someone at the moon palace resort. i didn't give it 5 stars on location as it is located quite far from the local bars and restaurants (not that you need to go out with all the restaurants they offer and the excellent cocktails), but we took a taxi to downtown cancun and the cost of going there is quite high. a round taxi trip cost us around £50. plus we paid £85 at the bars and restaurants. but honestly speaking, with a resort like this there really is no need to go out. (being our first trip to mexico, we decided to see one area on one evening).
the only one recommendation i would make to them and that is to have extra staff at the pool bar - we had to wait a long time to be served; there was no one there to serve but the same staff from the grill side bar (which is all one, but separated by a short wall). apart from that a truly fantastic experience. we plan to visit again next year :)

Room Tip: definitely pay that little bit extra for the concierge rooms. you won't be disappointed!
1  Thank Reenku A

It's a great honor to be the first Resort for sharing your vacation experience. Thank you for all your comments on our facilities and services. Please rest assured we take note of all your comments for improvement.

We hope to read many more reviews in the future on your next visits to Moon Palace Golf & Spa Resort.

Reviewed March 7, 2014

This was our third time here at Moon Palace and likely our last. Not a bad place, but not easy for a west coast resident to get to. the flight was long, but the connection was also poor. The West coast is a better option for Northwest residents. This is a huge complex and in general the staff are great, the food relatively well, and a lot of options. The resort has changed they way they allow you to use the resort credits the provide you. you are required to pay the taxes, 17% i believe, on all purchases and it seems as though all purchases are wayyy over inflated. Did have on terrible experience here at the Asian restaurant, with rotten service and a very long time to get any food. Very out of the ordinary though, and unfortunately the manager chose to blame on staff instead of shouldering the responsibility himself. Our only real complaint is the the air conditioning units in the rooms are quite loud. If you are a light sleeper it will be a problem.
I concur that this place is remote, despite being just 15 minutes from the airport. I would rather go to Xtapa and take the bus for about $2 american into Zihuatanejo. You feel very comfortable walking around town and there are a ton of very affordable eateries. It is also an easy place to get to from the west coast.

1  Thank TheshoesCamas_Wa
YENNIACALVILLO, Public Relations Manager at Moon Palace Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2014

Dear TheShoesCamas_Wa,

It disappoints us when we've missed the mark, especially with loyal guests such as yourselves. The Resort Credit is one of our more popular offerings, and many of our guests often praise the value it provides towards their vacation. There is a 16% service fee and tax that allows us to pay gratuities and other fees to the various third-party partners that help maintain this offering as robust as it is today.

We welcome all feedback as it helps us to provide the best service and amenities to all our guests and we thank you for your time.

We're sorry we did not provide you with the best experience possible, but we truly hope you give us another chance to get it right next time around.

YENNIA CALVILLO
PUBLIC RELATIONS MANAGER
MOON PALACE GOLF & SPA RESORT

Reviewed March 7, 2014

Thanks to the great staff @ Moon Palace (Adriana,Addy,Mario,Ricardo) The week went by way too fast! Had a great time in the best place to vacation! Great golf, spas, pools, food. Looking forward to next year!

Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank Dubes54
Rosaura Y, Public Relations Manager at Moon Palace Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded March 8, 2014

We appreciate your kind expressions of appreciation, and are especially grateful for comments on Adriana, Addy, Mario and Ricardo.

We thank you for choosing Moon Palace Golf & Spa Resort and for taking the time to share your experience.

We look forward to see you next year!

Kind regards,