“Thank you Barny and Pablo for making out trip wonderful!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Moon Palace Cancun

Moon Palace Cancun
Ranked #23 of 182 Hotels in Cancun
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Incline Village, Nevada
“Thank you Barny and Pablo for making out trip wonderful!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2014

We had an amazing time at this all inclusive. Beautiful, great restaurants, and amazing staff. While we've been to all inclusives before, we have to thank both Barny (from Bugambilla's restaurant) as well as Pablo (who serves drinks by the pool) for going out of their way to make our experiences amazing, wonderful, memorable, and a reason to want to come back. When we were in Bugambilla's, Barny was incredibly kind, quick with his service, and we never had to ask for anything as he was so on top of ensuring our drinks were full, plates were cleared, and even did a wonderful production of making us mayan coffee. Pablo did the same while we were at the pool. We never had to look for a waiter or ask for drinks, he was so on top of things. Both of them remembered our names, where we were from, the drinks we liked, everything. It was this added customer service that sets Moon Palace apart from other all inclusives. Thank you for making out trip memorable!!!!!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Amy B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5,888)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Montreal, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2014

Went there for 4 days with the company as a getaway.

Room:
Clean and simple. Showers were surprisingly amazing. (which is rarely the case in my experience in a resort)

Food:
Had some nice places a la cart style which decent food. Buffet was acceptable for what it was.

Pool:
Massive pool with great design/decorations. found the water freezing cold but all in all was good.

Beach:
The real reason as to why I gave it a 3... going to a resort down south I would like a nice beach with clean water. This was not the case.

activities:
There was a club in the resort which was pretty awesome. Every night there were plenty of people inside dancing and drinking with good music. def a plus for the night time adventures.

Service:
I found the staff pretty nice, I didn't spend too much on tips during my stay and I didn't feel like I was being hounded for a tip. was always served with a smile.

As most people have posted... the room credits is pretty much a bait and switch type system. Given the example: a box of their cigars is priced at 100$... with the tax being 16% the total would be 116$. In reality, the cigars are worth at most 10 to 15$ (really not the best cigars our there by far)..... so we end up spending 100$ from room credit and we are left with 16$ to pay for them. its a tactic to get people to spend with limited items to apply the credits to.

All in all it was a fun experience, but I'll try elsewhere next time.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank Soheil G
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2014 via mobile

We returned to the moon palace in January 2014 18 months since our last visit. The resort has seen some renovations and improvements. These were all to a high standard such as lovely, soft leather sofas and more modern furnishings. The staff were great just like the last visit extremely helpful and pleasant. It's a massive resort so here are some of my tips.
The resort consists of three parts plus the golf club/spa. Sunrise is lively and I was concerned we were located there but we had a quiet room overlooking the meditation garden. Unless you don't mind noise day and night I would request a room away from any pool or lobby area. The room was renovated and had a big walk in shower which would fit about six people ( if you like that kind of thing), a wash area with big sink and good quality hair dryer and Ghd,s. Initially you are given spa toiletries but then they are replaced with standard hotel ones. There was a large bed very comfy and they seem to replace the mattresses frequently ( from the numbers I saw on the corridors). Bedside lamps had dimmer switches which I had not seen before and loved them. Jacuzzi bath in the corner which I used once given my 'I will try anything once philosophy' - it was nice enough but prefer the shower. Nice balcony with hammock and chairs. There was a fridge which is replenished each day with beer and soft drinks - if you want milk ask for a full carton at one of the coffee shops. A coffee maker and pods and mugs/glasses. Sunrise itself has some big pools and two places to eat outside which are buffet at lunch but transformed in the evenings and much more stylish waiter service. Try barracuda for some great steaks or grouper. Various bars and pizza places around the pool so,you will never starve or dehydrate. Towels,available,and book exchanges at most towel pick ups which are useful to swap. The flow rider is at sunrise so attracts a younger crowd - fun to watch if like me you don't fancy a video of yourself going viral. Evening entertainment displayed each day. The sunrise lobby bar is the best, great place to hang out and watch sport etc. there is a coffee shop just inside which serves speciality coffees, snacks, makes pancakes,lovely chocolates and ice cream. There is a self service restaurant which is OK - decent range of food but not my favourite. The gondola off the lobby has the best self service breakfast on the resort and the nicest place to have it. In the evening it is a good Italian but limited menu choices. Momo is a fab Asian restaurant at sunrise and always busy - well worth a visit. In June same area is the nightclub ( never awake late enough to try it) and 'wired' the place for younger guests ( great reviews from friends). The sky bar is located on upper floor ( no view do the sky) - nice place to go for pre or post dinner drinks, couple of pool tables and loud music but plenty of grey goose to compensate.
Nizuc is the next part of the resort. This was being refurbed so,will look good. Inside are two great places to eat the mexican and meat. Go to the mexican first so you know if you like and want to return a few times. It was our favourite. Try the shrimp cervice starter, mixed grill and pass on the dessert to get a coffee made at the table. They also make their own guacamole at the table for you. There is a mexican band so overall a great evening. The meat restaurant has a fantastic salad range, meats are served until you have abdominal pain and again liquer coffee is a must. Lobby bar at nizuc is a bit cold and bland for my liking but the self service place is decent. Outside so,we great pools and pizza/ BBQ,s. Try the outside Japanese in the evening for the best sushi I have ever had- the chef makes it once ordered so time for a few cocktails as you wait. One of the pools is also heated here so a good place for a swim if the weathers not so good.
The next part of the resort is much quieter 'the grand' and more me being a 50 year old. The infinity pool,is heated and outside a good self service so you can nip in for snacks and coffee. The usual swim up bar and waiter service. Go beyond this and there is a pool area that no one seems to find. Large pool area, bars, snack bar - always really quiet. There is also Los tacos a good place for lunch by the pool and the resident crocodile might make an appearance. Not much more at the grand so if you are placed there you would want to go to the other areas in the evenings. One end of the resort to the other will take about 15 mins to walk but there are regular golf carts to jump on.
Room credits - you pay 16% tax on these so about $400 on $2500. Not too bad but make sure you know you have to pay it at the end. $500 can be used in the spa which is great- try to get in the one at the golf course which is the best spa. We had a couples massage ( still unsure ), hot stone pedicure ( highly recommended), manicure and facial. Allow time before your treatment for the use of the facilities. My husband spent the rest of the credits on golf so here's his review. 'Disorganised booking in process whereby lots,of people turn up at the same time and a lot of waiting around. Takes ages to get out to carts and starter. There are three tee options for men which stretch the course between 5500 and 7500 yards so suitable for players of abilities. Plenty of room off the tree but if you do go in the jungle watch out for the snakes and crocodiles. Cost is expensive $250 and $130 for twilight but use room credits and pay tax.'
Other things for credits are weddings, up graded drinks packages, tours, photos and drinks/ cigars.
I am happy to answer any queries on this resort.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
21 Thank Karen B
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2014

My friend and I stayed at the Nizuc. It was beautiful and calm and really gave us the opportunity to relax. Every morning we went to the buffet and we were served by the staff in a particular area. Carlos Acosta, Yesenya Canul, and Macedonio Sulub were so great. By the end of the trip they knew everything that we wanted. All the staff there is amazing.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
NormaGranados, Public Relations Manager at Moon Palace Cancun, responded to this review, January 23, 2014
Thank you for your extraordinary comments. But mostly for recognizing our employees, for them this is very important. This encourage us to share with all our guests our best smile and high quality service by which Moon Palace Golf & Spa Resort is internationally well known. We hope to see you again soon.
Norma Granados / Public Relations Manager @ Nizuc
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2014

We've been to Cancun a couple times now, but have always stayed at Secrets brand resorts. After having that experience and coming to this resort is a completely different feel. I will liken the Secrets resorts to stores like Nordstroms and this resort to stores like Wal-mart. The rooms are spacious and nicely done but the resort itself is ginormous and made for the masses. The food is bulk made (i'd say cruise food is better ) without much taste or creativity. The beach is eh but the pools are GREAT. All in all if you're looking for a budget friendly, young-family vacation spot this is it, but if you're looking for more of a romantic/relaxing get away I'd recommend going to a more secluded resort like Secrets.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank snorkley
Leicester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2014

We have just returned from the Moon Palace, we have been to Mexico 4 times and this was by far the BEST. The only downfall for me is its not in the hotel zone & the beach is good but the sea is not the beautiful turquoise colour that it is at the Beach Palace, its not bad & there is nothing wrong with it. You can use the hotel transport and go to the beach palace & use all the facilities there anyhow. The resort credits are good but you have to pay local taxes which is almost the same as our vat, well 16%. We went on the "NOT" timeshare tours which is a time share if you're from the UK, its probably no good for you but you can look, Luckily we did this on a rainy day, yes a rainy day in Mexico which I have never seen the total day scrapped by bad weather before. But there is still plenty to do with the kids club which my 4 year old told us its his holiday and he comes away to have fun & I have fun at the kids club !!. There is also the teens lounge which is also awesome even the 4 year old had to go there every day as well. Our 9 year old spent most of the day on the flow rider which is brilliant and Pedro showed us how to do it and showed how he is the master he took our 4 year old on it 3 times, god he knows how to surf and is great with the kids & the women. My wife made great use of the Spa & Gym facilities and the food options available in the many restaurants meant you never got bored. The all inclusive really is all inclusive, Top brand label alcohol in your mini bar....with optics and 24h rooms service!!! We even swam with the dolphins which was located within the hotel premises. I was happy with our room until we went on the "NOT" timeshare tour and seen the rooms in the Sunrise section. They are so much better I asked to change but they told me every time I asked that they where full. The rooms that come up on UK travel agents searches are European rooms (Nizuc section) maybe this is the older rooms which are a bit further away from the Sunrise section but the walking makes for good exercise. All in all I wish I was still there but next time we go we want to be the Sunrise section.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
4 Thank Ian B
Thank you for your feedback, we are making significant changes in our Nizuc Lobby. We greatly appreciate you give us the opportunity to come back and enjoy them with us. It will be a pleasure to serve you as you and your family deserve. We are sure that we will surprise you!

Norma Granados / Public Relations Manager @ Nizuc
Charlottetown, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2014 via mobile

My adult daughter and I stayed in Moon Grand from January 10-17th. Our room was spacious and lovely with a large balcony to enjoy. The room had a jacuzzi tub, iPhone dock, bar with full size liquors and a well stocked mini fridge.
We celebrated my daughter's birthday while there. The staff decorated the room with streamers, balloons and a sign on the door. A bottle of champagne and a birthday cake were waiting for us when we returned to our room in the late afternoon. Thank you to Diamond Concierge Fanny, and Building Concierge for doing all the little things to make her birthday special and memorable.
You will find the property to be huge but it is kept clean and well maintained. This is my third time to Moon Palace and the staff are constantly working to make sure nothing appears out of order or unkept.
The pools, SPA are all beautiful and clean. The SPA offers so many different services and experiences. You will be treated in a very professional way and at a high standard of care.
The pools offer a quiet setting (especially at Moon Grand) if you desire but we found it most fun to be near the Entertainment staff who were friendly, engaging, fun without being "in your face". We especially enjoyed the vibe at the Nizuc pool. A big "shout out" and thanks to Paty, Tatiana, Enrique, Fabian, and Gustavo. Also to our favourite wait staff at the pool, Pablo and Baltazar (whom incidentally serenaded the guests poolside) with the most beautiful voice! You all had a lot to do with how much we enjoyed our holiday! Gracias!
The music at the pools was great, upbeat and current.
You need not worry that you will be hassled for tips. It just doesn't happen. However, when you do tip, the staff show their appreciation. "It is a pleasure" you will hear regularly but it is genuine whether you are saying thanks or offering a small tip.
I should mention, we had breakfast in the morning at Moon Grand as it was quiter and a less hectic environment. thank you to Sergio who was most attentive. We had lunch by the pool everyday. We enjoyed the various options on the menu and did not feel the need to attend the large buffets in the major restaurants. Our favourite offering was the pizza made in the brick ovens. Delicious!
While Moon Palace is a huge resort ( there are three areas within the resort - Sunrise, Nizuc, and Moon Grand), there are many benefits. It's size offers guests diverse and excellent choices in restaurants, entertainment and activities. The resort uses large coach busses to transport guests from one area to another. These buses run regularly so you are never inconvenienced. If you prefer to walk, it will take you over 30 minutes to walk from one end of the resort to the other. This is an especially nice thing to do first thing in the morning when you can enjoy solitude and exercise.
If you are expecting the beautiful aqua waters and long stretch of beach found in the Cancun hotel zone, you will be disappointed. Moon Palace has a seaweed problem, which they do their best to keep clean. It does not have the same colour of water of length of beach. Having said that, it does not have the same surf concerns you often have in the hotel zone.
The restaurants offer something for everyone. Our favourites were the Asian in Sunrise, the Italian at the Golf Course and the Mexican at Nizuc. Thank you to hostess Mariflor, waiters Luis and Mario, and Sommelier Miguel for making our last night so enjoyable.
In terms of our favourite shows, you do not want to miss the Michael Jackson show at Sunrise on Monday nights, the Fire Show at Nizuc on Wednesday nights, the Aquatic Show at Moon Grand and the hip Hop show at Nizuc on Thursday nights. One thing I think that needs to be improved is the promotion of these high quality entertainment shows. Moon Palace needs to follow what Le Blanc resort does and that is to have a schedule placed on your bed every night for the next day. We spoke to so many people who did not realize when and where these shows were being held. This is not fair for the guests or the talented performers. PLEASE consider this recommendation.
We enjoyed having resort credits and did not have a problem with the tax accrued from the services we had in the SPA. We did not go on any excursions, nor the Swim with the Dolphins which is conveniently located at Moon Palace due to weather and the length if our stay. I do think the new policy of being able to "roll over" your leftover resort credits for your subsequent stays is an excellent new offering.
While I did not have the need to use the Kids Play Room and teen Lounge, I do think these are fantastic offerings for families. I have never seen better at a resort and I have had the opportunity to travel extensively throughout the Caribbean and Mexico. When talking with families, they told me not once did their children complain of boredom. They were entertained constantly.
I am looking forward to returning to Moon Palace again in February - this time to celebrate my husband's birthday! I know it will be another memorable, relaxing and fun vacation!

Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
8 Thank JillReaghE
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cancun
Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita
IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar
#7 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
4.0 of 5 bubbles 4,532 reviews
Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa

Been to Moon Palace Cancun? Share your experiences!