“The greatest pleasure trip ever taken”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Moon Palace Cancun

Moon Palace Cancun
Ranked #23 of 181 Hotels in Cancun
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Maracay, Venezuela
“The greatest pleasure trip ever taken”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2014

Every aspect of this three loby resort was outstanding... way above average, no earthly alike to compare with in my narrow knowledge of the Mayan Riviera... Me and my family sincerely hope to become associates in the near future and return to the Moon Palace ASAP. Thumbs up!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank AlexanderJara

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5,900)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
vancouver
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2014

Lies after Lies, Let me tell you the 1500 credit is all fake, the select very few tours and activities and let you use your credits and then charge you 16% TAX, which honestly turns out to be the real price of it! All around the resort the sales representatives are sitting everywhere side by side to hunt you down and milk every dollar from you, and let me tell you they are very good and empty promises, and Lies, couple of them told me that the Massage and spa doesn't have TAX and all you need to pay is from your resort credit which it turn to be again Lies and the end of my vacation, and the check out, they charged me 41$ dollars, and let me tell you I tried to not spent any money there but it turned out to be 200$ at the check out.

The staff members are robots, all they can say is '' with pleasure" over and over again, just try it , say to any of them Thank you, they say " with pleasure" that's the only English word they know!

And some of them are rude and with attitude and they do anything to get a tip from you, I spent at least 100$ tipping them right and left!

They food was a joke, buffet style with foods sitting there for hours and hours!,
one day I found a fly in my salad!

never ever coming back to this place...

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
16 Thank aquachippy
Maryland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2014

Your experience at Moon Palace will depend on several factors.

1. Weather: This is probably the most important factor. We were there from Saturday to Thursday and glimpsed about 4 hours of sun, on Sunday morning. The rest of the time was gray and cool (at best) or pouring rain, windy, and cold (at worst). Mostly it was drizzly and overcast. There were days when some hardy souls braved the pool in the drizzle, but others when there was no one outside. The pools are beautiful, the waiters are attentive, and the frozen drinks are lovely and readily available. We may have gotten lucky finding loungers together in the shade, though—it does seem like it can be hard to find a place to sit and people do get out their early to put towels on chairs and no one seems to do anything about that. When the weather is bad, as far as we could tell, there is simply nothing to do. If there was a program of activities, a movie, a karaoke contest, or anything at all to pass the time, we weren't made aware of it. Moreover, I am not sure there is a pleasant common space where that could happen. A couple of nights, it seemed they had moved the evening's entertainment (a concert) that was scheduled for the Nizuc amphitheater (outdoors) into the lobby bar. The lobby bar isn't optimal for that by any means, and the acoustics were such that you pretty much couldn't have a conversation anywhere in the building. Which meant you needed to go somewhere else...which pretty much meant your room. Because there really isn't anywhere else to be. I think perhaps there were bars or nightclub-type venues, but that didn't suit our family group.
2. Room location: Our room was about ¼ mile walk from the registration desk at Nizuc (and therefore, from the main restaurant and the lobby bar), and a third-floor walkup. There is no other way to get there but to walk and to hike up the stairs. Our room was not in the furthest building from the lobby. On the side we were on (I think it was the north?), there was one further building. However, on the opposite side of Nizuc, I think the buildings went on further and it might have been possible to have a significantly longer walk. By Thursday, we were honestly so done with making that walk that we didn't even want to go to breakfast before checking out. I don't mean to be lazy, but it got old. We were lucky that, while far from the Nizuc lobby, we were at least on the side near Sunrise. We probably only had to walk slightly further to get to the Barracuda restaurant near the Sunrise pool or into the Sunrise lobby. But that was still a hike, in cold/rain/wind. There is purportedly some kind of transportation around the property but we never saw it, and if it exists I do not believe it could have run us out to our room because we weren't near a path that the golf carts could go on. On the other hand, we could see some beautiful rooms facing the beach, steps away from the Barracuda restaurant or Sunrise lobby, and probably similar rooms near the Nizuc lobby. A beachfront location also ensures proximity to some other bar/restaurant options near the pools. We were about as far as you could get from the beach. Bottom line, your experience—particularly if you have children to schlep up and down stairs or you yourself aren't so spry—will be greatly improved if you are lucky enough to have a conveniently-located room.
3. Timing: We never stood in line anywhere—not to check in, not to check out, not for a seat in a restaurant. However, frequently, we'd turn around later on and notice an absolute MOB of people waiting to check in or out, or an endless line out the door of the restaurant. I cannot really put my finger on exactly what the pattern was. We tended to eat on the early side (7 ish?) and we only needed a table for 4. I can't explain the huge lines at check in/out—maybe a charter flight or a corporate group was coming or going—but if you happen to wind up behind such a group, then the explanation doesn't matter.
4. Taste: We grew tired of the food. And it wasn't what we expected. If you are envisioning tacos, burritos, and other fare you envision as Mexican...well, it wasn't that. There was guacamole and salsa at all the buffets, but we didn't much care for it—I've definitely had “better” at home—maybe I don't know what “real” guacamole is supposed to taste like? This could have used less lemon, more onion, cilantro, and salt. And there are no corn chips. Not to be all ugly American about this, but that was surprising. There are chips, but they are fried flour tortillas. And we never did find any tacos in baked corn tortilla shells (you know, like you can get at Taco Bell...). The only corn tortillas we encountered were, ironically, served with the fajitas where we expected and wanted flour tortillas. We tried several of the restaurants: The “Italian” themed buffet in Manglar (it didn't seem any different from the “International” lunch), the Brazilian barbecue in Arrecifes (we liked that experience but my picky daughter didn't find much she cared to eat), the “spectacular sushi bar” at Palapa Delfines (it was a very limited menu you could order from—just tuna, shrimp, surimi, smoked salmon, and flying fish roe, in various combinations, mostly with cream cheese), the “wide variety of traditional Mexican fare” at Los Tacos (people...THIS IS A POOL BAR with six things on the menu, which we trekked all over the property to find), the Mexican buffet at Bumbilias, and both the lunch buffet and the dinner a la carte at Barracuda. My picky daughter found it surprisingly hard to get something like a burger or chicken nuggets, and the pizza (which is always available) wasn't quite right. We didn't really care for the desserts, which were really fussy little fancy pastries. And the “a la carte” restaurants (meaning there is a menu) had pretty fussy selections. I found the meat to be salty, which didn't bother me, but I could see a lot of people not caring for that. It is possible that we'd have found other options at the open-air poolside venues, but we weren't really spending time at the pool...because it was cold and rainy.
5. Your expectations: We knew we'd be charged tax for the “free” excursions and spa appointments we booked with our room credits, so that wasn't a surprise. But others might find that a rude surprise. Our bill at checkout was about $350, which included tax on Chichen Itza excursion x 2, Wet & Wild/Dolphin Experience combo x 2, Zip Line x 2, and a massage, body scrub, pedicure, gel manicure, and leg wax. Plus $120 for the pictures of the Dolphin swim, of course. It didn't include the $100 surprise cost of a second activity (cash only) during the zip line excursion. The choice was pony up for a cash-only option, or sit 2 hours waiting for the zip line activity. So, if you are expecting that EVERYTHING is included, it isn't quite.

I would say that on average, we had an average time. Some of the staff was pleasant and attentive. Sometimes I was completely ignored at breakfast, and once my table was cleared while I was up at the buffet. Oh,and we were tipping, even though it's optional. Sometimes our room wasn't made up until 4 in the afternoon. We had hoped for some family fun time, maybe a karaoke night or game show or something silly like that, or some place to play board games. We didn't find those things—either we didn't know where they were happening, or they weren't happening, and there really wasn't a pleasant place to spend time outside the room where a family staying in several rooms could gather. Luckily, our rooms were right next door to each other. Oh, and by the way...they were both double/doubles, despite the fact that we'd asked for one double/double and one king. They told us the whole building was double/doubles, and didn't offer to move us...even after we showed the video of the rain streaming into the room under the balcony door. We weren't offered the opportunity to use room credits for an upgrade, which we probably should have pressed harder to do.

In a nutshell, if you get there when the weather is beautiful, luck into a well-located room, and somehow time your activities to avoid crowds and lines, you probably could have a great time at Moon Palace.

Room Tip: Insist on proximity to the lobby or the beach. And pick Nizuc or Sunrise if you want to be where the...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank schlimazel_traveler
Rosaura Y, Public Relations Manager at Moon Palace Cancun, responded to this review, January 13, 2014
We welcome all constructive feedback as it helps us to continuously improve our services and amenities. It disappoints us to hear that we did not meet your expectations, as I can assure you, we aim for more than just an average guest experience. Please be assured that your concerns will be thoroughly reviewed. We're sorry we fell short of your expectations, but we thank you for your thoughts.

Respectfully,
ROSAURA YAÑEZ
PUBLIC RELATIONS MANAGER
Sharpsburg, Maryland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2014

Overall the resort does not live up to expectations. Room service and housekeeping get two thumbs down and the construction makes getting around difficult specifically in the rain. But the guys at the seing bar make up for the service that is otherwise lacking.

• Stayed January 2014
We thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. We'll make sure to spread your kind words to Julio and the staff of the swing bar. However, we're sorry to hear that overall you did not enjoy your stay. We can assure you that this is not the typical experience, however we welcome all feedback.

Respectfully,
ROSAURA YAÑEZ
PUBLIC RELATIONS MANAGER
Moscow, Russia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2014

Our warm welcome started with 1.5 hour check in. It is 5* resort...
Walk to the room was through the premises smelling like a foul toilet... Whe we arrive, the first thing we saw was a 3-4 cm coackroach sitting enjoying his afternnon next to our door.
Beds are marble solid, you feel like sleeping on the rocks.
Beach is simply non-existent, it's full of weeds and suspended in the waters all kinda garbage.
Pools are overcrowded with all sorts of kids, drunken teenagers and noisy public.
The buffets nearby the pools are pitiful to say the least. All looks like food court area in rundown shopping mall.
Staff is indifferent, cold, always busy with everything else but yourself, and they just don't really care.
Food in any restaurant, especially in Asian, is by far the worst I ever saw , or you could ever imagine even in 3* resort. Although I never stayed in one, but now I know what it's like.
Cocktails are so watery it is not funny, one should always give bartender dollar or 2 to get decent drink. And still wait for 2-3 minutes until they move their butts to you.
Cleaningness of the restaurants is simply unbelievable, we saw birds picking up the food from garbage bins.
The buffet food is simply junk, you would recall aeroplane food as something from heaven if you compare it to Moon Palace. The service is barely moving around trying to fulfill hungry crowds.
The room service sometimes didn't clean the room, incredible. I never saw anything like that.

All I can say that we ended up going every day to Cancun in the evening to get some decent meals and spent a small fortune for that. This is all about Moon Palace 5* all inclusive resort.

DON"T ruin your holidays with this hell on the face of earth...

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
7 Thank KotMatvey
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2014

BAD - I will start with this first because it isnt much therefore I only took off one mark for this resort and still gave it a 4/5

BEACH - if you think the beach/ocean is going to be good because you are visiting Cancun you are wrong. I thought there was a minor problem of seaweed from reading other reviews but i never knew the ocean is not swimable. there is a sign of sea urchins, jellyfish, a bunch of sea creatures lurking the ocean in this area so I would not risk going in. it was dirty and not pretty. Also there was a red flag the entire week i stayed so no one was in the ocean and nobody on the beach it was a very big disappointment. (go to beach palace on complimentary shuttle and use their ocean that is the real cancun beach!)

LOCATION - 30 minutes away from Hotel Zone. there is nothing near by or walkable you are isolated just like mayan riviera area so no exploring unless you took a taxi. your best way to cancun is the shuttle they provide to the beach palace and you can shop and do stuff there and easily get to downtown. IF you miss the bus or do not want to take it, a taxi is $30 each way to beach palace area. The location of this hotel sucks for the ocean if only they built it with a nice ocean we wouldnt need to go to cancun hotel zone.

TIMESHARE - the palace resorts are expanding and need money to fund the renovations and new hotels. they will tell u its only 90mins of your time to check their timeshare which they refuse to accept it is timeshare they said its different. BEWARE because they start with high prices like $120,000 and then sent many managers to change our mind and dropped to $15,000. something is wrong obviously. we talked to other people in the resort and everyone was told different prices. it was very fishy and i wouldnt take a risk of investing money with no research. so be careful do not get swept away after seeing the suite they show u. some people were arguing and were held up for 3 hours, its a WASTE OF TIME. you do not want to lose vacation time for this. if you want something free like spa credits or tours then you can go see the timeshare and recieve that in return.

GOOD
FOOD - very good, brazilian house was very good. all restaurants did not have reservations which was nice mexican was good too. i was staying in Nizuk so these were the ones i went to in my section. the cafe area was really different and nice to self serve coffee and they make crepes and have ice cream and desssert. it was a very different all-inclusive service.
POOLS- cold during winter, they werent heated. i never went in once especially cuz we didnt have any sun. beautiful pools though
DRINKS - good good. try the "Coochie Coochie" shot
ROOMS - very nice shower, beds, everything was good

in general everything was very good except the bad stuff i pointed out.

Room Tip: sunrise section has more activity going on. even though we stayed at nizuk i still liked it more qui...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
6 Thank sofia l
NormaGranados, Public Relations Manager at Moon Palace Cancun, responded to this review, January 15, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to give us detailed feedback on your experience with us. We appreciate your recognition of our new facilities designed for the benefit of our guests. We hope to see you again soon to enjoy another unforgettable holiday.
Norma Granados / Public Relations Manager @ Nizuc
Denver
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2014

Our 7th stay at Moon Palace was one of the best. We can see why it has been ranked the #1 all-inclusive resort by USA Today. All of our pre-trip preparations were handled by Angel, our Diamond Concierge. His efforts were instrumental to the overall excellence of our vacation. We stayed in a Presidential Suite in the Sunrise area. The room was recently remodeled and the was beautifully decorated and very comfortable. Some of the new updates are in the restaurants. We eat breakfast at Bugambillas almost every day. There are many wonderful servers in this restaurant. But on this trip we met Yidra whose wonderful smile was a true delight. Momo is the Asian restaurant in the Sunrise lobby. The update was completed a little over a year ago and we thoroughly enjoy the atmosphere and service. The Sommelier, Alejandro made wonderful recommendations for our wines. (Wine upgrades are a great place to use some of those resort credits). Eugenia, Candelaria and Gilberto were our service team (there were nine in our party) and we lacked for nothing. Our second full day was December 31st and this was the first time we celebrated on New Year’s Eve at the resort. The entire New Year’s Eve party was much more than we expected. It was a festive atmosphere with many of the party goers (we estimated four to five thousand) dressing up for the event. Despite the large number, they were divided between two floors of the convention center and this helped with the serving of a delicious filet and lobster dinner. Our servers took great care of us during the entire evening. Special thanks go out to Jose Reyes Camal. His sense of humor and prompt service made the dinner and evening especially enjoyable. The Caporales restaurant in Nizuc was updated this past November. It is much brighter and there are more tables due to the open kitchen. The new menu and service was excellent. The Pablano Crème soup and stuffed Pablano pepper were superb. Our Sommelier, Miguel A. gave us a delightful and informative lesson and tasting of tequila. Rudulpho and Rudolpho were our service team and they were excellent. The Gondola is another Sunrise lobby restaurant that has just been remodeled. Again, it is bright and open. The Manager, Armando and his team, Jesus and Israel took great care to ensure our comfort and satisfaction. The lamb chops and Arroz were a big hit. We had two special meals during our stay. Our son had a romantic dinner with his girlfriend at Los Tacos at the Moon Grande. Chef Cesar and his staff, Ricardo, Marisol and Alfredo provided them with a memorable evening. Our last dinner was a Chef’s dinner in our room. We were catered to by Hugo Toledo and Felipe Castillo. The quiet intimacy was a welcome change to the bustling energy of the main restaurants. The wonderful evening was capped off by their showmanship as they expertly prepared our “Mayan Coffee”. Every time we visit Moon Palace it continues to step it up a notch. We can't imagine receiving better service. Definitely a 5 star resort worth visiting!

Room Tip: The Sunrise is the best place to be if you have a family.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank J B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cancun
Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita
IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar
#7 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
4.0 of 5 bubbles 4,551 reviews
Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa

Been to Moon Palace Cancun? Share your experiences!