“Great family vacation!!!”

Moon Palace Cancun
Ranked #23 of 176 Hotels in Cancun
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed January 2, 2014

It was a first time trip to Mexico and we liked everything. Weather (3 days out of 7 was raining) was beautiful. We were so happy to escape cold Winnipeg for a week. Staff was super friendly. Food :((( I gained 2 kilos. :0 No. food was super tasty and different. A la carte restaurants was great, we went to Mexican restaurant in Nizuc and Italian in Spa building. One fact upset us very much was the condition of the sea. It is full of seaweeds and no way to swim in such messy water. We took a free bus to Beach Palace form our lobby which is daily at 12PM and 2PM to get some real Caribbean clear blue sea swim. Territory of the hotel is huge which has three lobbies, lots of pools and bars, plenty of tasty food and warm weather.

2  Thank Vitaly A
NormaGranados, Public Relations Manager at Moon Palace Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded January 4, 2014

Thank you for coming to Moon Palace Golf & Spa Resort to enjoy the excellent weather of the Caribbean and the service that our staff provides to all our guests. Your comments will be taken into consideration to improve our services. We wish a Happy New Year 2014 !! Norma Granados

Write a ReviewReviews (23,118)

Reviewed January 2, 2014

If you like the carnival cruise experience then you will like this. Lots and lots of drinking, very crowded, lines for everything and highly variable service (absolutely terrible to wonderful). Systems are poorly set up which means that those who just cut in lines or cut people off get the best or the first which then encourages many more to do the same. The food was quite good and we enjoyed the various options. Just like a cruise, if you want a chaise lounge by the pool then most of the chaise lounges are claimed by 7 AM. We actually think people put stuff down on chairs the night before because as we were leaving early (6:45 AM) for a day trip, almost all of the chaise lounges were claimed. Water sports vendors are third party vendors and if there is a problem the management washes their hands with it. We had a serious incident with the Aqua World vendor and then complained to the assistant manager of customer service at Moon Palace who actually suggested that because he has not heard other complaints that the fault might be ours. Despite his promise to follow up, he did not do so which was no surprise to us given how we witnessed the indifference of management the entire week we were there. Despite this, we had a good time exploring the Riviera Maya. We won't go back to the Moon Palace as we expect for the type of money spent a consistent high level of customer service which was not present.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
4  Thank soxfanGR
Reviewed January 2, 2014

Of course, traveling right at Christmas is always an issue: prices are high and resorts are crowded. I gave Moon Palace 5 stars for our stay in 2011.

Again we stayed in Sunrise, which was our preference as I think it is the most kid-friendly. I had requested garden view rooms. When we were taken to our room, it was on the first floor and our key cards didn't work. The luggage person used his universal card to let us in. We had a view of other buildings, not a garden, the room smelled of mold and mildew, and we had to return to the lobby anyway with our luggage to get new key cards. we requested a different room because it was not what we ordered, nor was it healthy for me as I am 71 years old and have allergies. After some delays and saying he wasn't sure he could do anything, we did get a room on the 3rd floor in Piña. I didn't mind climbing stairs and there is an elevator. We had a lovely view of the most beautiful of the gardens and we were happy. Our children with our grandchildren had junior suites across the swimming pool in a different area, but none of us minded walking, so it wasn't a problem.

One of them had three repair men enter and try to fix something when only a teenage girl was in the room. She felt very uncomfortable with this situation and my daughter did complain.

The worst part of the Palace Hotels is the time-share pressure. We got it from the minute we came in. We were extremely tired after a long flight the next day, but sure enough, the resort time share and resort credits desk called us on the phone at 8:30 a.m. to "remind" us to come talk with them. I don't normally sleep that late, but I was exhausted and angry that they called.

I sat down to use the points and was able to use only 300 points for a massage, which was excellent, I add. So 300 of 15,000 resort credits. It isn't really easy to use the credits, but I guess most people know these are usually throwaways. I told the agent my husband would not accompany me on a time share walk of 2 hours so they might as well stop asking. She finally gave up after trying to get me to beg him to change his mind. My husband went to book a trip from the resort with his points to go to a water park with some of the grandkids, and finally had to tell the agent that he would write a terrible review on Tripadvisor if the man did not stop bugging him about timeshares and taking a tour which he clearly wasn't going to take.

We like Palace resorts. I wish they would stop the high pressure sales. I will never buy a timeshare as I like to go to different countries and stay in different kinds of lodgings.

Some news about this resort: It is building a new 15,000 seat concert hall in Sunset to attract big name singers and groups. Possibly also conferences. It also is adding 1,000 new rooms in Grande, at the other end of the resort from Sunset. Both these additions may change the family character of the resort. I am a bit worried about that.

Sunset is great for families. Our five grandkids love it and Carson (age 7) even said, as he swam up to one of the swim up bars for a virgin strawberry daiquiri: "I could live here. I would never be bored!" He said that again at Xel Ha when we were snorkeling there. We love Bougambilia, the Mexican buffet, for its variety of food for our family meals. I am not usually a sausage eater, but I couldn't believe all the types of delicious small sausages that are produced by the kitchen. My husband and I ate one in Gondola, which is also a buffet in the morning and the scrambled eggs and sausages were cold, I think because it doesn't have the turnover that the Mexican buffet has. But service in the Gondola was over the top! Excellent.

Service was generally great. Wait staff are clearly told to stay busy, so you will find your napkin folded and someone there to put it on your lap if you get up to get something. Both my husband and I speak Spanish and I got to talk with some of them in Spanish about their families when they weren't terribly busy. All staff are totally friendly and not in a Safeway kind of forced smiles and hellos, but seem genuinely friendly.

Upkeep on a home is difficult enough but imagine upkeep on a facility of this size! Most of the gardens are lovely and staff are always fixing, painting, and touching up parts of the hotel. Maintenance seems to work hard and respond quickly. And stay mostly in the background.

Bring all the sunscreen you think you will need and more as the sunscreen in the hotel gift shop is expensive. Don't expect to find Cancun at your doorstep. (I like to be away from the city so this is a plus for me.) The hotel is near the airport but not near at all restaurants or other hotels in either Playa del Carmen or Cancun. I saw no drunken groups or individuals at Sunrise. Yea! It may happen in the evening, but was not evident to our family group. We needed medical help while there for an allergic reaction and the doctor at the hotel was professional, gave the child the appropriate shot, and called in a prescription to a pharmacy in Cancun which was then delivered promptly to the hotel. Excellent service!! Great medical care.

Sunrise was quiet at night, but we always travel with a portable white noise machine to protect us from those discourteous guests who forget they are not at home and yell at each other down the halls. We didn't hear anyone much after 10:00 p.m.

There is an adult bar in Sunset and we almost went there one night but the noise from the loud music was soooo loud we left immediately.

The new teen lounge is an excellent addition in Sunset. Great service, snacks, ice cream, etc. but parents need to accompany kids under 13. It has lots of electronic games.

We saw quite a few mobility challenged people including people in wheelchairs. The grounds are wheelchair and other mobility devices friendly.

Despite some minor annoyances, we would like to come again with our children and grandchildren and probably will. It IS expensive. And this time there were a lot more international visitors which gave it an interesting flavor. Clearly, the world economy is doing better. Unless you intend to buy, just say no to the timeshare pressure. If you are an unmarried couple they will not bother you. Ditto if you are a travel agent.

Room Tip: I prefer the views and breezes on the balconies from 3rd floor rooms. And I think garden view rooms...
6  Thank LindaL246
Rosaura Y, Public Relations Manager at Moon Palace Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded January 4, 2014

We'd like to thank you for taking the time to provide us with such thorough feedback, both the good and bad. We will review the areas that need improvement and we apologize for falling short in some areas. We hope not to disappoint next time you visit. We thank you for the positive feedback and we're also glad to hear that Carson considers this his home. We can't wait to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed January 2, 2014

Stayed at the Palace December 8-15th. Have to say the best service we've ever encountered (and we've stayed at the Iberostar Grand Riviera Maya among 8-9 other all inclusives in Mexico and Dominican).
A special thank you to Mardo Solis, Carlos Uc, and Victor Toledo in the main buffet restaurant. WHAT SERVICE! Thanks so much! Head to the far backside of the breakfast and lunch buffet to sit in their area. We also had fabulous service at the other a la carte restaurants. So fun to visit the Brasilian where they entertain you bringing the most meat you will ever eat in your life. At the Mexican restaurant there is a brother team that were genuinely warm and friendly and taught us some Spanish! LOVE,LOVE,LOVE that you don't need a reservation to go and eat. That takes the stress off especially if you have two starving kids at 6:00 pm every night. Other resorts should adopt this policy as we've been places where you try book dinner reservations and they say they only have 9:30 bookings left (what a lie). That's a little late to eat especially with kids who are worn out and ready for bed at 8:00.
Overall we enjoyed our time at the Palace with our two kids (5, 3).
Drawback:. Its being renovated so it was screaming loud in the lobby when we were there, the rooms could use an update (some in the process) but ours were clean, beds were decent,and nothing was broken so can't really complain (we booked an adjoining room so the kids would have their own beds). The septic field right outside the door of our room was kinda gross, especially when it rained. Stinky. We stayed in the Maguey building which is at the back side but noticed these septic areas outside of buildings everywhere.
The one other drawback is that compared to the Sunrise side, the grounds could use more trees and shrubs/flowers at the Nizuk. Something I would never complain about but it seemed sparse. Every other resort we've ever stayed at was simply amazing to look at. It was pretty obvious when you stepped on the sunrise side the difference too. Not a deal breaker. Being picky sorry.
This resort is quite modern looking too and painted white. White everywhere. Each to their own preference but we love the bright colors usually painted on the buildings in Mexico. This one felt cold somehow. We see nothing but white in Canada during the winter months so we look forward to some bright oranges, etc. I've also read reviews of people who think the bright paint colors are cheesy so like I said: each to their own. I did lay on the best beach/pool loungers I've ever had at the Sunrise side and noticed they were beginning to change to these new aluminum orange chairs at the Nizuk side too.
Because we have two small kids, we walked over to the Sunrise side to use the spray park/waterslide area. Its far away; stroller is a must. They have golf carts to take people around but it seems hard to flag them down for a ride. We ate too much so we needed to walk, no big deal. My husband is a really good water skier, etc so he had to try the Flow Rider. He had a blast! We also used the kids indoor play place on a day that was rainy and they loved that. That's worth checking out for sure if you have kids. The pools on the Nizuk side (I think Sunrise had it too) have a great 10-12 foot area around the perimeter of the pool that is only a foot deep. That was great for the 3 year old as he had a play area that wasn't over his head. Every once and awhile the hubby and I could sit on a lounge chair at pool's edge and relax while the two splashed around. Noticed that the outdoor lunch/beach buffet at the Sunrise side was nicer with more food and variety as an FYI, but when we ate at the Nizuk side and we didn't go hungry.
The beach is quite gross to swim in, (we knew that when we booked) but the kids, my husband and I thought the fluffy white sand was wonderful to play in. Further down the mayan you will find some really beautiful beaches with the turquoise water where it is crystal clean and calm to swim (Barceló complex).
We can't really complain too much as we got to leave the Canadian wasteland for a week. Definitely won't book a December trip again as it's definitely cooler in Mexico, however, I didn't worry the kids would over heat so it wasn't a complete deal breaker.
Public bathrooms seemed newly renovated and clean, however there are a lot of birds at this resort and they were pooping on the edge of the shallow water in one part of the pools and swimming around in there. First time we've ever seen this. We didn't go in that pool.
Overall we got a bit of a tan, kids had a bawl in the pool and on the beach, I didn't have to cook or clean or grocery shop for a week, and we got to enjoy some better weather than what's been happening in Canada. One other bonus is that this resort seemed quite empty when we went. We had a pool to ourselves. The Sunrise side seemed crazy busy.
Good luck with your booking and have a great trip!

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated one.
3  Thank BeachGirlNow

It is always a pleasure to read that our Staff made your stay an unforgettable experience. Especially our team of Restaurant Manglar and Arrecifes (Brazilian). We are proud of our renovated Nizuc Lobby and we hope to offer even more to our guests. Thank you for your feedback and Happy New Year 2014. Norma Granados

Reviewed January 2, 2014

We have been to Mexico( Cancun, Rivera Maya) quite a few times for vacation. This is our third time back to the Moon Palace, great place for a family vacation. This resort has something for everyone, Golf( outstanding course, but crowded), Spa( great relaxation), 7 or 8 restaurants( all good), pools( to many to count), night club, game room and the beach( nice water once you get past the seaweed). A couple of new additions are swimming with the dolphins right onsite as well as the Flowrider for surfing.
The rooms are great, marble all over the place, large Jacuzzi tube and a mini bar. The liquor is all top shelf throughout the resort, very well done.

This place is huge, one of the nicest all inclusive resorts I have been to. I would highly recommend this place.

Room Tip: Ask for a room close to the beach in order to get an ocean view.
Reviewed January 2, 2014

I stayed at beach palace and decided to go to the "wonderful" moon palace. Took a bus from beach palace and arrived at moon palace the sunrise lobby. I went to the pool and walked around for 20 min trying to find seats!! There were about 5 kids just throwing footballs everywhere and one hit me in the stomach... No apology from the kid what-so-ever. I then went to the bar and tripped because there was a step that no one could see. Drinks were okay. I went to the beach to explore with my family... Black Sea weed stuff was everywhere... Immediately went back to the pool. While I was coming back, some kid threw a football and the other kid who had to run into the grass to get it, jumped on my towel and now it has a big grass stain on it.... Still can't get it off. Food was okay.... The crêpes were amazing :) again, I only went for a day, so maybe it was better if you stayed for longer then a day.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank GoBucks31
Rosaura Y, Public Relations Manager at Moon Palace Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2014

We're sorry to hear that you were disappointed with your brief visit. A short visit is not enough time to fully experience what makes Moon Palace one of the top rated all-inclusive resorts worldwide. Regardless we thank you for your valuable feedback.

Reviewed January 2, 2014

There was absolutely nothing appealing about this vacation. Let me first start by saying the food was the absolute worst. This includes the buffet food, the restaurant food, and the room service. All disgusting.

The next thing that I would like to point out is that this place is far too big for a relaxing vacation. It is so big that you have to take shuttles & golf carts to get to places at the resort. This is not my idea of relaxing. At an all inclusive resort, I would expect everything to be at my finger tips. The morning we checked out it was pouring rain and we had to call a golf cart so that we could get everything to the lobby without it getting soaking wet.

Cancun is famous for clear blue water- not at this place. The location of this hotel lies on a part of the ocean that is not blue at all. The water was nothing special, have seen far more beautiful water in Florida.

There were drunks allover this resort. Since this place is so big, there were weddings and a lot of different types of travelers here. I like to relax and have a good time, but there was too many partiers here. You hear random screams during the night, people out at all hours.

Oh, and the last thing....there was a pube on our toilet when we got to the room! Seriously not a good first impression.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank 2013Mama
Rosaura Y, Public Relations Manager at Moon Palace Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2014

Please accept our sincerest apologies for not meeting your expectations. We can assure you that this is not the typical experience, however we appreciate that you've brought this to our attention. We will take your feedback into consideration and again we're sorry for delivering the level of service and amenities that we are known for.