“End of June visit”

Moon Palace Cancun
Ranked #23 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed July 5, 2013

This was our second visit after buying membership with the resort last year. Moon Palace continued to provide excellent service and food options. Great teen arcade room and flowrider surfing was added which made it even more fun for the kids. Can't wait to see the new kids club being added at Sunrise location. Currently, it's only available at Nizuc location. My kids did not like being left there at all. Staff were nice but they said it was boring. Dolphin swim now located on Nizuc Pier was awesome although pricing for the pictures were a total rip off. We stayed at one of the newly renovated family suites. The only downside is the beach is not swimmable and filled with seaweed. Good thing there's a bus service to their Beach Palace location where the beaches were crystal clear. It's really worth the trip. We went multiple days just for the beach. Beach Palace itself was nothing compared to Moon as far as facilities and amenities go. We used credit towards swim with the dolphin, wet n wild, and zip lining. Wet n wild only had 4 slides, wave pool, kiddy area, and a lazy river in which you had to rent the floaters to use--very uncool. We won't return there since our kids got bored after 2 hours. We went to Boca de Puma and really did enjoy zip lining and ATV riding. Horseback riding was ok. They did not allow my 5 y/o to ride with me. He had to ride with the guide. We also used credit towards professional photos which was not worth our time because this group was not really professional photographers and prices for the CD or added photos were a rip off. We had to pay the tax fee which was nearly $70 and received 5 photos. The spa massages were awesome if you stick with deep tissue massage. We paid to go to the Xcaret which was the high light of the trip but do not recommend to stay back for the show. Overall, we will return to Moon Palace and still feel it's overall an excellent place to vacation with your family although we probably wouldn't use our credits for the same excursions again upom returning.

Room Tip: The swim up rooms were awesome in Pineapple location...far enough from hearing the outdoor entertain...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Beaches4U
Write a ReviewReviews (23,102)

Reviewed July 5, 2013

This was our second trip to Moon Palace and enjoyed it again. First trip we stayed at the Grand, but had to go to Sunrise for all night time activity. We stayed at Sunrise this time and it was more crowded, but still a great time. They are doing renovations, but they always are. Dinner had long lines at MoMo because the rain kept the outside restaurants slow. I'd go again without a doubt.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 5, 2013

The staff could not do enough for you no matter whether you were at the terrace bar above El Ceribene restaurant to the sweet shops. Food was good and great place to take multigenerational families
Wonderful if you want to stay on property and totally relax
Lots to do and with 13 restaurants, you can always find
something different to eat. I highly recommend the resort
Special up to 1500.00 resort credit depending on nights stayed. Makes it a win win vacation

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank Joycelivestotravel
Reviewed July 5, 2013

There is only one restaurant that requires reservations at Moon Palace and that is the Italian located at the Golf and Spa building. After the appetizers, soups and salads, a citrus sorbet is served known as an intermezzo in Italian or entremés in Spanish (meaning to come in-between courses. After the sorbet, which is meant to cleanse the palate, the main course is served.

We ate at the Italian restaurant four times in our two week stay and all of the waiters that we had stated that the majority, over 80% of the patrons, had never had a sorbet before the main course and complained that they did not order dessert or that they had not had their dinner yet. This attests that the majority of the patrons at Moon Palace have never gone out to an expensive, high class restaurant.

The restaurant also had a dress code, requiring pants for men. Many of the men wore torn up jeans and some tried to come in with shorts and tee shirts. The majority of guests did not deem it necessary to dress up for dinner.

Moon Palace offers a very decent all inclusive deal, but it seems to attract its share of the blue collar, cigarette smoking, excessive alcohol drinking, tattoo bearing patron.

The resort is quite large and can take up to fifteen minutes to walk from one end all the way to the other. There are busses that go from lobby to lobby and it only takes a matter of minutes to wait for one of these busses to come around.

There are three hotels in one at this resort: Sunrise (which attracts the most of the partiers) and is the most crowded with lots of kids, Nizuc, the middle ground, and Moon Grand, a more sophisticated, quieter side of the hotel that seems to attract more members (people who had grey, black or white wrist bands). At Moon Grand there is an extra large Olympian sized lap pool where you can swim in quiet splendor. However, you look at an area that is under construction and has been for the past nine years and may never be completed.

So, you would just need to find the area you are most comfortable in.

The beach is absolutely awful. It is located on a bay and is full of sea grass. There is nothing they can do to change the situation. Only a few brave souls are ever seen entering the water.

No more sailing, windsurfing or kayaks. Because it is located on a calm bay with no waves, the resort used to offer sailing, windsurfing and kayaking. They no longer do so. This was upsetting, as my daughter and I love to sail and it partially made up for the poor beach.

The rooms are very small. We had a king size bed with a rollaway bed and there was very little room to even walk. Although larger than a room on a cruise ship with a large oversize Jacuzzi tub, it still was quite tight and the balconies are very small. A lot of the room towels have black stains on them. They have been laundered, but they should not be giving out room towels with stains in them. The beds are worn down and they need to replace the mattresses. In our room, we tended to drift towards the middle of the bed and the bed was stiff. They need to get upgraded pillow top or euro top beds. There is also mold in the rooms and the tile grout is all stained in many places and needs to be cleaned and maintained in a much better manner than it presently is.

The restaurant service is based on personality with the happier, more content servers being spot on and the workers who just went to work for the job not doing that great of a job. There was a host in particular at the Brazilian restaurant who had a surly attitude and really did not care at all about pleasing the customers.

The exact same dish could be very good one day and then awful the next at the exact same restaurant -- what caused this difference in quality is unknown -- it could be different chefs, different food preparation, the food itself...etc.

When we ordered a Cesar salad they gave us Thousand Island dressing. When we asked them to change the dressing, the came back with Blue Cheese processed dressing.

The golf course used to offer GPS on the golf carts, clean face and hand towels to wipe down in-between holes, a drink and food cart service, and then a large, cold towel at the end of the 18 holes. They no longer offer any of these services and the prices of golf have gone up, but the service has gone down. There are three nine hole golf courses. You can go out on one nine hole and then find yourself behind two to four foursomes on the back nine, making your golf experience, slow and tedious. This can be frustrating.

We like to go four two week vacations and we do not get bored with the food. We ate at the Chinese restaurant once, the Japanese restaurant twice, the buffet once, the Brazil once, the Caribbean once, the Steak restaurant twice, the Mexican Restaurant twice and the Italian restaurant four times having a good diversity of food. There were decent nights and okay nights in the food, but no horrible nights. Even the rack of lamb at the Italian restaurant was not perfect, but it was very good. My wife loved the stuffed fish. Although the food is not five star, it is certainly equal or better to eating dinner out a local restaurants in Los Angeles.

At the Mexican restaurant they would make fresh guacamole right in front of your table. They also made Mayan coffee and set it on fire (doing the show). I don't drink coffee, but I tried Mayan coffee twice and it was excellent each time.

Their flank steak or arechera is very good. We would often have this for lunch. For breakfast, we would have smoked salmon on croissants or bagels or made to order omelets. My daughter liked eating at the al a carte Italian restaurant for breakfast overlooking the golf course.

The deserts are hit and miss. The best dessert was a warm chocolate brownie with vanilla ice cream served at the steak restaurant. They also had tiramisu.

They have small desserts and amaretto ice cream at the Sunrise section. The ice cream was very good.

The golf course is very beautiful and challenging. There is a driving range and a pitch and putt area to work on your short game. However, as stated in the cons, the golf course service could use work. It is comparable to a $50 golf course in the Los Angeles County/Orange County areas in southern California. It is not even close to a $100 golf course and far away from being a $200 golf course.

The pools were clean in the Moon Grand and Nizuc areas but dirty in the Sunrise areas. You should not go swimming in the areas where they have the swim up pool bars as there is obviously a lot of human urine and cloudiness in these pools.

We went on a tour to Chitzen Itza, a long, hot day, where they stop for an hour for shopping, but it was nice to see the ruins. I also took my daughter on the jungle tour which consisted of a high speed boat that twisted and turned and sprayed water on us, a modified jet ski and a snorkeling excursion next to the Club Med property. We also went to Wet N Wild, which was fun for my daughter, but it is run down and dangerous with steps leading up to the rides almost completely disintegrated and wobbling unstable platforms. There are sections of missing tiles in the lazy river and I sliced my foot open. I would not recommend going here until they fix the area up. We also went swimming with the dolphins in the new area by the pier. You have to step onto a sharp metal platform, so I recommend wearing wet socks. I did not like it in the ocean and swimming with the dolphins is a much better experience in the pools at Wet N Wild.

What is nice about a vacation is having someone clean your room, having someone cook your meals and not having to worry about anything. I played golf for eight days, had three back massages, had a pedicure and manicure, went to Chitzen Itza, went on the Jungle Tour went to Wet N Wild water park, went swimming with the dolphins worked out at the gym and ate at nine different restaurants. My wife had a facial, two pedicures, two manicures, three massages and also went on the same excursions. Overall, we had a good trip, but Moon Palace needs to work on certain areas to make it the five star resort it seems to covet.

With golf, the spa, the excursions, swimming with the dolphins the activities during the day, you definitely do not get bored. Compared to other resorts, Moon Palace does offer a lot and most of it is above average. In the US, you would have to pay $600 a day for what we paid 1/2 of the price. So, it is a good bang for your buck.

There are positives and negatives at all resorts. The positives are the variety of restaurants, the different pools and the lap pool, the ocean view rooms, having a large golf and spa building right on the resort, and the decent service.

Room Tip: The rooms in the Moon Grand area are newer and larger, but many do not offer ocean views.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Chris S
Reviewed July 5, 2013

This was the worst resort I have ever stayed at and I have been to many. The high prices and promises did not deliver in any way. The food was absolutely terrible, every restaurant we went to was gross. I ended up living off of buns, fruit and french fries. The service was terrible - I could not get a towel to save my life and would have to ait up to two hours just to take a shower because housekeeping never seemed to have any. Whenever we had issues or needed help it seemed the staff conveiniently never spoke english when we were frustraded or needed something. The beach was gross on top of everything. Jellyfish and seaweed everywhere - I didn't even want to walk along the beach because it smelled like sewage and not to mention all the construction at 7am outside of my room. Some vaction! I would never go back to this resort it was terrible! Save your money!

Room Tip: I would just avoid Palace Resorts all together.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank serena w
Reviewed July 5, 2013

We have just returned to the UK from a two week stay at the Moon Palace Resort Cancun. What can I say? On arrival we were told that the room we believed we had been allocated in the Grand section was not available to us due to a booking error with our agent in the UK (we are looking into this but doubt it was the case). Instead we were allocated a room in Nizuc and after a 10 hour flight we were just relieved to be finally able to start our vacation so did not put up much of a fight....until we arrived at the room that is. Even as we were following the bell boy to the room my partner and I were looking at each other with that "no way" expression. The walk to the room took us past yards of yellow taped off areas and open pipe work which, quite frankly, stank of human waste! On arrival in the room the "interesting smells" continued...mainly mildew. In addition to this there was paint flaking off the walls in the room, the floor was dirty (there was even chewing gum stuck to a door frame) there was a cigarette burn on the very dirty hot tub and the sink basin did not drain away. However, we tipped the bell boy (not his fault after all) and then went about trying to have our room changed....no easy task as other reviewers have noted. I was greeted with a series of shoulder shrugs and really had to dig my heels in, repeating to the front desk staff that the calibre of room we were offered did not reflect the amount of money we had payed for the trip. Eventually after (forgive the pun) a Mexican stand off we were offered a room on a higher floor in the main Nizuc building. Desperate to start our holiday we accepted this room which had a pool view and was OK but nothing stunning. We really wanted to love this hotel....there are so many postitive reviews that we expected more from it than it delivered. On the plus side the waiting staff are lovely and very obliging, always smiling and nothing seems too much trouble. However I would agree with other reviews in that the food varies from poor to very good(this is based on the restaraunts we visited) the buffets are what you'd expect really....a bit sloppy and on a loop. Momo was by far the best experience for us, the food was excellent as was the service. Unfortunately myself, my husband and daughter were all stricken by a horrible stomach virus during our stay and when we tried to cancel a trip(booked using resort credit) due to our illness we were met with no compassion and instead told that we would still have to pay otherwise consult a doctor(and again PAY) to provide evidence that we were unfit to attend the excursion. Really?? All in all we had a good time but this was mainly due to the lovely people we met and the fantastic weather we enjoyed. This is a tired, average resort which perhaps needs to send many of its front of house staff for some customer service training, with the possible exeption of Felix from the Animation staff who was an absolute gem of a guy. We probably won't return here unless we know for sure that the place has upped its game and is able to actually offer the "luxury" that it markets so well yet delivers on so poorly.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Jill O
Reviewed July 4, 2013

Couldn't say enough good things about the Moon Palace (much better than the HRPC - refer to my other review). The restaurants were great, staff was extremely helpful, and my family had a great time. Only things I would point out: make sure you don't waste your resort credit on the cruise because the lobster and steak is disgusting. The Ziplining was great. The New Year's Celebration had terrible food!

If you're thinking about a membership, be careful. They are extremely picky when you try to re-book at a later time. We received 8 free weeks of vacations, only to be told about a number of imaginary sub-conditions and fees. If you agree to join the membership, milk them for everything (they will go down to half price at the very least and throw in a bunch of perks). If you want a referral discount, let me know!

Room Tip: Presidential Suite was perfect for 5
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family