“Excellent service!”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Ottawa, Canada
“Excellent service!”
Reviewed June 18, 2013

We were expecting a beautiful location, which we got, but we were really impressed by the friendly service everywhere we went. We especially appreciated Felipe at the wet bar in front of the Moon Grand. The second day we were there he recognized us and remembered what we were drinking on the first day. That may not seem like much but it's things like that which really made us feel welcome whenever we went back. By the way, this was back in February, but something just reminded me I should write up the review!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Mark B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5,951)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
East Troy
Reviewed June 18, 2013

I had stayed at the Moon Palace June 13-June 17. This is what I would call a big resort! It's new and has a lot of options. This resort is perfect for families with a lot of on-sight activities such as the phenominal dolphin experience that takes place at the resort itself. The Moon Palace is really a great resort. If you are a person that enjoys lounging and spending the day poolside-YES- this is the resort for you! If you are more of a beach person I would reccomend the Grand section or for a wonderful beach either the Beach, Sun or Playacar Palace resort because the Moon isn't really known for its beaches. This resort has a variety of fantastic restaurants and only one needs a reservation. Even though it is rather large, easy access to everything via shuttles or golf carts. I can't say enough about how great this resort is! You can contact me if you would like more information. I would also like to thank Dai and Quinn from Palace Resorts for a wonderful experience due to their expertise and knowledge of the property. Also, Lilly in the Spa was beyond good. I get a massage usually every month and even though I love my massage therapist this lady was fantastic. Enrique the Bell man was so kind and courteous as well and Ivan, one of the many pool swimup bartenders deserves a fantastic thank you as he put up with many drunks and always had a kind word and smile on his face.

Room Tip: Try to request either the Luna or Mango building. The Sunrise section is being remodeled right now...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank Cheryl S
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed June 18, 2013

We can't say enough about the wonderful staff that made our trip memorable. Each person that we encountered seemed truly genuine in wanting to make our holiday a great one.
- front staff (Mario and Juan)
- Ines at the Sweet & Coffee bar
- Alfredo, Angel, Jorge and Belladuka at Cairibero
- Jacqueline, Amelia, Lucy, Octiviana at the Pelicanos Palapas,
- Carlos, Paulo, Juan, Ricardo, Ampudia, Macedonia and Victor at El Manglar
- Rafael, Eyidio and Leticia at Los Caporales (as well as the amazing musicians)
- Hermelindo and Lucero at the Nizuc pool area
- Claudia and Viviana for arranging all our needs
- Jorge Alberto at the hair salon
- Arletta, Lidia, and Margharita at the Spa
- the entertainers at the nightly shows
- unfortunately, we were unable to meet the housekeepers as they were very discreet as they refreshed our rooms and turned our rooms down in the evening.
- and to the countless others we did not mention
My only negative comment is with regards to the Nizuc spa. Very outdated. For my massage, I felt like I was in a closet the space was so small and noisy.

Room Tip: We did have one of the yet-to-be renovated rooms which were alright. However, the view was spectacu...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank bluebug58
Downers Grove, Illinois, United States
Reviewed June 18, 2013

Our family of four stayed at the Moon Palace Sunrise Hotel in Cancun. The rooms were very nice and the pools were great. The beach was just ok. They had to clean up the seaweed every morning, that washes up on the beach, with an endloader. The sand on the beach is a beautiful powder, however, and made sand volleyball and playing catch with my son great. The food was also great and one of our favorite restaurants was the Fragata. Our sever for a couple of our meals was Francisco Norberto, who was outstanding! He helped us make alll the right choices and was very personable! The weather was perfect for us, in the low 90's and sunny, with a lot of time spent in the pool.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Daniel G
Solihull, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 18, 2013

We stopped in Sunrise at the beginning of June. It was amazing! The staff were overly helpful and if we did have an issue it was sorted within minutes. We took pesos rather than dollars and had no issues. Just be aware of the exit tax to leave Mexico, its 780 pesos for a single person or 800 pesos for a couple. The food was as good as you can get for all inclusive, edible but not amazing. But with the amount of different restaurants and the shuttle bus that takes you to the different hotels there is an endless amount of food, which was great! It was definitely worth the price, the rooms were amazing with a Jacuzzi, mini bar which was restocked everyday and always clean! The pools were huge also, you were never close to other people and there was always other pools within walking distance if the one you were closest to was a tad busy. There was always sun loungers too, no need to reserve early before breakfast unless your desperate for one in the shade. Overall the holiday was brilliant and I would definitely recommend Sunrise to anyone.

Room Tip: If you're looking for somewhere that isn't too quiet but isn't full of children I would...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Karis09
Reviewed June 17, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Moon palace the last week in May. Quick summary from personal experience - not great for relaxing. Would skip the spa. Not nice beach - visit cancun or Playacar for a nice beach. Resort credit is only a discount on jewlery - don't waste your time. The credits are best used for tours and activities. If you get liquor just remember you need to pack it in your luggage :/. From personal experience no need for three hours at airport unless traveling to Mexico City. If you have time read the details. Sad to see the resorts we enjoyed as relaxing - Aventura and Moon Palace DR become Hard Rock Hotels :(

We became members about seven years ago. We first visited Aventura Palace. We fell in love with their attention to detail and quality of service. We love to travel and usually do not visit one place more than once. When we stayed at Aventura we loved it so much we could see ourselves going there at least every other year. While there we also visited the Playacar and Cozumel Palace. Three years ago we visited the Moon Palace in the Dominican Republic and loved it as well, even with the construction. Now we wanted to visit Mexico again, I read some of the reviews about Moon Palace before booking our stay and it seemed to agree with our experience at Aventura... Not the case.

When I called to make my reservation I was asked what our preferences were for our room. We have no children (early thirties) celebrating an anniversary and looking to spend some relaxing time, so I asked for a quiet area. Grand is away from where most of the activities take place so I thought it would be a good choice. Then I was asked what floor...I asked for a second or third. When we arrived we were given our keys right away and escorted to one of the PVP representatives (Palace Vacation Planners). While discussing the credits and benefits a staff member comes and exchanges our keys with no explanation. Tired and with a few hours of sleep we were ready to start our vacation. The room we were assigned was on the first floor close to the entrance of the hallway. Not very happy but thinking it could work, we spent he first night there. The room had a connecting door to the adjacent room. After dinner we came back to the room just to hear our neighbors watching TV and having some loud conversations. We could have had a conversation with them with the door closed. Stayed up late with the neighbors and woke up bright and early with all the maintenance and early tour people. To make my story short, I was given an option to move to he opposite end of grand- long walk and view of construction. My husband suggested maybe even a double bed - where we finally ended up after a day of discussions. Not very romantic but we could at least get some sleep. Felt like we were bothering them - not the attention we are used to from Palace.

A promotion that the Palace resorts have now is a $1500 credit per room. It is a great offer for some things. We used a portion for tours. I loved the dolphin experience. I did read some reviewers that thought it was not worth it, but we loved it. The way they make their money is by selling you he pictures since you are not allowed to take a camera. I still enjoyed the experience very much. What I was disappointed with was the service at the spa. As you can imagine, it seemed every woman at the resort had booked their service at the spa at the same time with their credits. The spa is definitely a part of my vacation that I enjoy, not in this case. The waiting area was so crowded and loud. They also seemed to be having some issues with their lights - going from dim to bright to dim. The massage was okay it was more the facility I had an issue with. I ended up in a room close to the entrance...again....and the whole 50 minutes I was there all I could hear was the sandals of everyone walking by and talking. The lights in the room were also brighter than usual but at that point I was more annoyed at the noise level. I enjoyed the 25 minute massage at the salon more than the 50 at the spa. I did not go back.

After our fifth day we had booked a zip line tour. The night before the tour my husbands stomach was not very happy. Our tour was scheduled to depart by 7:15 am. We woke up at six and my husband was not feeling well at all. Don't want to give too much detail but he knew he could not leave the room. Not knowing how to inform the tour guide, I called the front desk. I informed them of the issue and was told it was okay just to stop by the front desk after breakfast. My husband stayed in the room for most of he day. Around ten I stopped by the front desk an was old to talk o be of the PVP representatives. I explained to the gentleman what the issue was and with an attitude he just responded there wasn't anything that could be done, that we could only get a refund with a Drs notice. My issue here was that the staff is not aware of the policies. I completely understand the cancellation policy, what I did not like was to be told to do something and then get an attitude or asking. As I tried to explain to the guy my issue, not about a refund but about being told I needed come see him and then him giving me an attitude all he Could say was "Drs notice". Arghhhh!!! Did not listen!! The night before we left I also ended up getting sick. It took almost a week for my stomach to recover.

We had multiple instances where the staff would give us conflicting information. The beach at Moon palace is not very nice, so one of the days we wanted to visit the Cancun resorts to spend some time at the beach. We asked if they had a shuttle and were told yes, from Nizuc. We went to the Nizuc front area and were told to go inside a d get tickets. We go to reception, we are directed to the PVP are, they say just go wait under the palapa. We 30 minutes before as recommended and are he only ones there. A staff member walks by and we ask again just to confirm we are in the ought area and we are told we have to sign up for it. I explain that we were told just to wait, I just wanted to make sure it was the right area. We are then told we should take a cab. Argh!!! She says she will call the front desk to confirm. Then she says, that yes, we are okay and in the right area.

Last issue is with who ever recommends four hours for shuttle to airport and wait. We were given a four hour departure from hotel to airport. They recommend to be at the airport three hours before flight departure for international flights. I asked at hotel if I could change my departure to be three hours before my flight since the hotel is only about 20 minutes from airport. I was told I could but to sign a waiver since they were not responsible if I missed my flight. I decided to keep it. It took us about 30 minutes to get to the airport from our hotel, check in and go through security; which meant 3:30 minutes of wait time at a crowded airport!! Argh!!!!

Room Tip: If you want a "quieter" more relaxing area on the resort stay on the Grand side. Rooms on...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank DianaD07
Callander, Canada
Reviewed June 17, 2013

Went away with another couple looking for fun and relaxing vacation. Our room was huge, had an amazing view of the ocean. The staff were just delightful. I loved the service we received. Can't say enough about the value for our budget. We were impressed with all of the different activities and loved the huge assortment of pools and restaurants, bars and shopping. The food was excellent and you could go from a small lounge to very large bars and dancing clubs. The resort had lots for everyone.

Room Tip: Moon Grand site within the moon palace resort. Beautiful rooms, lovely location, excellent restauran...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Shannon U
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cancun
Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita
IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar
#8 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
4.0 of 5 bubbles 4,584 reviews
Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa

Been to Moon Palace Cancun? Share your experiences!