“Best holiday ever!!!!!”

Ranked #21 of 181 Hotels in Cancun
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
“Best holiday ever!!!!!”
Reviewed May 10, 2013 via mobile

Me and my partner flew out 22nd April for two weeks and everything start to finish was perfect!!
We stayed in the grand section and for what we were looking for this was in our opinion definitely the best of the three!!
The rooms are huge with jacuzzi bath, good size balcony, air con was good, and it was cleaned daily.
The pools at the grand section we preferred also as they were quieter but still had enough going on to keep u entertained, u didn't ever had to leave your sun lounger as the waiters/waitresses kept the food and drinks coming.
We had breakfast every morning at carabean restaurant which was a buffet style service, we loved the omelettes made freshly by leydi (Laura), and even though they seemed to have short supply they always went out of their way to find us English tea to drink.
We did a lot of on site activities and there really is enough to do that u never have to leave the resort, parasailing, jet ski, swim with dolphins, mini golf, palace bus into cancun, spa day.
A lot of people complain about how large the resort is but we always enjoyed walking along the beach, and for those lazy idol people that do complain there are always golf buggys available and a bus that goes from grand-nizuc-sunrise every 10minutes!!!
You could never get bored of the food as you could eat at a different place every night if u wish, our favourites were the Brazilian steakhouse at the nizuc section, los tacos at the grand, but the best one was barracuda where they do amazing steaks and the waiter Javier gave exceptional service even 2 the rude/loud American guests!!!!

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kenny J

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5,957)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Galway, Ireland
Reviewed May 10, 2013

This was the most awesome resort we have been too and we have been too quiet a few . The service was exceptional and the staff were on top of their game 24/7. . The restaurants on site have exceptional food and the room service was awesome too the moon palace also takes all inclusive to a new level. i would like to mention a few names which made my stay all the better Felipe Canche & Amelia from grand pool bar service with a big smile ;>). Angel Uc from front desk for sorted a big problem out for me which could have spoiled my holiday a big thanks to him. Humberto from front desk for moving me as close as possible to the grand were the wedding party was staying i ended up closer to there lobby,pool bar and bus stop than them was perfect oh and last guy was my bell boy Jorge long story but hes a good man. 1 BIT OF ADVISE IS TO GO INTO TOWN TO BOOK TRIPS MUCH MUCH CHEAPER TRIED AND TESTED

Room Tip: THE GRAND section is quiet for relaxing then NIZUC is a little more lively and finally SUNRISE which...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank GrahamS92
Cheltenham, England
Reviewed May 10, 2013

The Moon Palace is located on an isolated sandy beach south of Cancun and south of the main hotel strip. No matter how many times you look at it beforehand on Google Earth, you still do not appreciate how large this complex is until you get there.

It occupies over a kilometre of beach front, with six or more swimming pools, three lobbies - Sunrise, Nizuc and Grand - and fourteen different restaurants to choose from. And a full sized golf course. And tennis courts.

We went in early May on a 10 day package deal, flying from Gatwick to Cancun non-stop on Virgin Atlantic. The deal was all-inclusive, and included $1000 dollars each to spend on resort activities - excursions, spa treatments, swimming with dolphins, chef special dinners etc. You have to pay the 11% purchase tax on any of these activities, but it's still a very good deal.

We have been on many all-inclusive holidays, but this was probably the best. The rooms are large, with a two person jacuzzi in the room, and a huge bed, and a well stocked mini bar including full sized bottles of whisky, rum, tequila and vodka on optic dispensers.

The whole complex is incredibly well maintained, with grounds, swimming pools, public areas, private rooms all cleaned daily. Clean towels are available at all pools. And the all-inclusive aspect means that you can have a drink - alcoholic or non-alcoholic - or a wide selection of well cooked and well presented food at almost any time of the day or night. Food and drink can be served in your room at no extra charge. And the numerous staff are unfailingly cheerful and very helpful.

Because the complex is so big there is a constant coach shuttle service between the three lobbies, or golf buggies - Cancun Limos - for shorter journeys. A separate minibus provides a shuttle service out to the golf course and spa.

The Palace organisation has two further hotels - the Beach Palace and the Sun Palace (adults only) - further north on the main hotel strip where your all-inclusive wrist band is still valid. There is a free courtesy bus twice a day to these if you need a change. We tried both - very nice hotels with good swimming pools and a superb beach - but they felt very limited after the variety of options and facilities available at the Moon Palace.

We were "invited" to a presentation on the hotel complex on the first day, which sounded interesting, but turned out to be a variant on a time share deal - pay money up front and future holidays at the various Palace locations are offered at reduced rates. So we said no, but were given a substantial "gift" for attending anyway.

The only other negatives were the slightly noisy air conditioning in our room - we turned ours off at night - and the entertainment which we found a bit naff, but that might be because we are old and crotchety and don't appreciate overloud boom boxes and over enthusiastic DJs any more. The pools south of the Grand Lobby were much more sedate with piped classical music when we needed to get away.

I don't normally recommend a holiday or hotel - but I would recommend this one to anybody. If you can find a similar deal, try it.

Room Tip: Most rooms have a sea view of sorts. We paid £100 extra for a seafront room - it was probably worth...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank OldFuddyDuddy
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 10, 2013

We stayed at the moon palace grand last week and loved every minute. Just a wonderful hotel with wonderful people. A special mention for the Los Tacos crew, Mariana, Carlos and the wonderful Claudia and Irene who looked after us all week. Thank you for a great time.....and the mojito's! The whole stay exceeded our expectations.. Thanks Dolly!

Room Tip: Go Grand and you won't be disappointed.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank chris031263
Buffalo, New York
Reviewed May 9, 2013

We just returned from the moon palace and we had an amazing time. Went went from April 29-May 6 and it was the perfect time of year to go. Not real crowded.

The service here was great. We traveled with our adult children. We stayed at the Nizuc section. We all had ocean view rooms that were beautiful. We had room service every day. Could walk into any of the restaurants and bars and were served immediately. The staff was nice as can be.

Nizuc is quieter than the sunrise section but we spent time at both. You can take a bus over to the other sections but walking the beach is faster. It is not the best beach in Cancun but we are really pool people. Loved the swim up bars.

All of our food was great and the drinks are amazing. There are activities every night and some of them were a lot of fun. We did take the bus down to the Beach Palace hotel to do some shopping. We stopped at the sky bar there and the service at the moon palace is SO much better.

We really took advantage of the $1500 room credit that came with the rooms. We swam with dolphins, zip lined, golfed, used the spa (highly recommeded) and got all kinds of gifts to bring home. You just pay the tax on the things your get.

All in all, we really enjoyed our trip and recommend the Moon Palace.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank LinnyWad
Edmonton, Alberta
Reviewed May 9, 2013

Let me start by saying that this is the first time that I felt I was so far apart than other reviewers. We spent 11 days at Moon palace over spring break and it was terrible. I will break this into point form and make my comments brief.

1. We were in the Nizuc section which is nowhere near as nice as Sunrise or Grand and the rooms are older. I inquired to be moved to Sunrise and they advised it was unavailable due to who we booked through (Westjet). This is reserved for certain travel companies.
2. We are a party of five and were given two rooms side by side non adjoining. Room one bed was broken, room 2 ac was broken, both rooms dirty. Woke up morning one to a dead cockroach beside my bed.
3. Called to complain and was passed off so waited at the front counter. Finally after refusing to leave the counter I was transffered (upgraded to new rooms) they were cleaner but still very dated and in need of a reno. By now we are getting angry.
4. The so called spending cash they give per room. Not an all out scam but not what you would think. Good if you are a golfer but using them on tours and around the resort is a PITA. We used maybee a quarted if this money did the spa and a round of golf.
5. VERY Bad customer service. My 10 year old daughter waited her turn for karokee night for two hours. When her turn came the dj stopped her mid song! Apparantly her pick (Disney) was not night club enough. Many of us in the audience were yelling saying let her sing, let her sing. I felt so bad for her, my wife went to speak to the host who was shirtless and wearing chaps BTW amd he called her a Racist and ended up in a huge argument telling her she embarassed him in front of his staff. This was UGLY.
6. VERY bad service. I booked a massage through the SPA which I arrived for early was greeted late. Then I was taken to the treatment room and waited at least 10 min into my treatment time for the therapist to start. THEN SHE WOULD STOP MID MASSAGE AND I COULD HEAR HER TEXTING! This happend at least four or five times. I actually found this funny it was so bad.
7. VERY bad service hair braiding. My wife took my daughter to get some braids put in her hair. She explained what she wanted which has three horizonat llines on one side. My wife left for five minutes and comes back and they are doing something completely different. So another uncomfortable conversation occurs then they do it over. HERE IS THE PART THAT MAKES ME MAD. THEY PULLED MY DAUGHTERS HAIR. She of course dosent tell us till after I was furious. Also they did not put the beads in her hair and told her her Mommy did not pay for them.
8. The food this was not all bad the steakhouse at the Sunrise Pool was Good. The Japanese was good as was the Italian at the clubhouse. The buffet's on the other hand were very busy with long wait times and the food was so/so at best. Truly the staff seemed completely overwhenlemd the number of guests.
9. This resort is undergoing a partial reno and there is many areas that are in very rough condition. Sidewalks are cracked, paint is flaking, chairs are dirty etc..
10. The Pool by 8 am there are no chairs PERIOD. There is no enforcement to the chair reserving and many people come plop there stuff down at 5 am and come pick it up at 3pm and never sit there. So I had to play the game up at 5am to go save seats at the pool. Cleanliness was fair at best we had one incident in the kids areas where there was fecis in the non slip mat by the slide. We obviously pulled our son out but my fie literally tried to tell three or four employees there was poop in the pool and they ignored her(speak no english). In my book poop is pretty universal.
11. The beach and ocean are not great at this location you have to take a shuttle to the Beach Palace to actually swim in the ocean. So this to was a disapointment.
12. The golf was GOOD if I was a golfer with no kids and wanted to play every day the complexion of this resort would be much better. But for families I thought it was POOR at best.

My 10 year old daughter came up with the title of this post. She looked at us on day 8 and said every day is a new disapointment. Truthfully we wanted to go home on day 2 and it did not get any better. Everyone we spoke to at the resort seemed to be of same opinion so I have no idea how this one Travellers Choice. I would honestly not recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Grand or Sunrise only in a renovated room. Better bet is choose another resort.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
12 Thank yipekiya
Londonderry, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 9, 2013

Just back from our wedding at moon palace and it exceeded all of our expectations. We stayed at the grand section which as many as the other reviewers highlight is more relaxed and quiet. At the Wet bar pool at the grand we had one of the best bar men I've ever encountered, Felipe Canche your a legend, there was a big group of us all from northern Ireland, we all enjoy a drink and this guy delivered, the other bar man there Jesus was also top quality, he just wasn't there as much as Felipe so we didn't get to know him as well. The waitress there is Amelia and as all the men was at the pool bar she made sure all the ladies on the sun beds never had to want for anything, before they had a chance to finish their cocktail she was asking if they would like another. At the roof top terrace bar in the grand section i have to mention Miguel, excellent sense of humour and kept entertained. I'm sorry i can't remember more name's as the service from all was top notch, its just these were the ones we spent most time with.

If quiet and relaxed is not your thing then your only a nice walk or a quick bus ride away from one of the other sections, sunrise and nizuc which are more lively.

The food was excellent and of restaurant quality. I would be here for a long time if i were to go into detail.

I have no negatives apart from the length of time it takes to get from the UK to mexico. My wife and i are already making plans for hopefully another visit next year. Thats how good this place is. If you have not been i recommend you do, try to ignore any negative comments you read on hear as i don't know what kind of treatment these people are used too. Wish i was back there now.

Room Tip: Make sure and go see the show at MoMo the oriental restaurant. Amazing cooking and food.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank AndyMcd9toes
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cancun
Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita
IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar
#8 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
4.0 of 5 bubbles 4,587 reviews
Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa

Been to Moon Palace Cancun? Share your experiences!