“Great place to stay.” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Lemont, Illinois
“Great place to stay.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

Perfect place if you plan on golfing for the week. Golf staff is very friendly and attentive. Pool is very large, enough room for all. Plenty of activities at pool. Just ask for your favorite liquor, and they will find it for you.

3 Thank Robert M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5,348)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Naperville, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

My husband Nick and I are currently staying at the Moon Grand Palace in Cancun -- one of the hotels of the Palace Resort Group that has amazing resorts in Cancun, Puerta Vallarta, Dominican Republic, etc. Bar none, it's one of the best resorts in Cancun.

Also, if there was a rating for live entertainment, we'd give the resort's regular pianist, Bela Duka a raving 5 stars - an exceptionally gifted musician, absolutely amazing. We spent some time with Bela and learned that he's originally from Hungary but studied at The University of Florida in Tallahassee. If you do stay at these resorts in Cancun, we highly recommend you stop by and hear Bela play at either the Moon Grande and next door at the Sunrise Resort. Moon Grande Palace Resort has found a true treasure in this gentleman's talent.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank Teresa R
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

I've been coming to Moon Palace for the last 6 years and have enjoyed every minute!
Last March I went with my boyfriend and this March I am headed there again with my best gal pals! The rooms are spacious and comfortable. The multiple options for rooms, pools, entertainment, restaurants and the wonderful spa make for a really enjoyable stay. Last visit I stayed at the Moon Grand and we had excellent service from all. Here are just a few examples of what you can expect! Elena in reception at Moon Grand could not have been kinder or more gracious . When I arrived I was booked into Nuzuc, but really wanted to be beach front at Moon Grand. She was so responsive even though those rooms were already booked. She worked her magic and got us our 2nd floor beach front room with a view ,within 1 day...! On another afternoon, while sitting by the pool at Moon Grand, I causually asked our cocktail waitress, Elena, if they still served paella by the pool, as I had experienced this on another visit. Before I knew it , Elena and Ricardo the chef had whipped up a big pan of Paella in the kitchen and brought it out to us at the pool, and we all had a wonderful and unexpected feast! One night my boyfriend and I opted for the 'Romantic Dinner" and it was fabulous. Set up by the beach with candle light and great food. Victor our waiter, was so attentive to our every need and yet remained unintrusive, as to make it a really special night for us both! Another evening we had dinner at Palapa Delfines which was wonderful, but I was really longing for sushi, as well. Anna, I think she was the hostess, was so thoughtful she headed on over to Palapa Pelicanos and got sushi for me and brought it back to our table! Thats how much they want you to enjoy your stay! Really, I feel like a VIP every time I return....

Room Tip: look for a room on 2nd floor to have more privacy
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Marilyn P
Kinston, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

This is our fifth visit to a Palace resort and as usual, we would mostly rave about the service and our overall experience. It was a trip with another couple who only wanted to stay on the resort and relax while recovering from recent health issues, so we cannot speak to activities beyond the resort itself. Service, service, service would be the highlight. At the pool, VIP beach area, restaurants, room service.....you name it and if you ask, someone will try to please.
We stayed in a Presidential suite with a good view and great location near the pool in Sunrise.
Luis Miguel made the best mojito in the place (VIP area)! We loved La Trattoria and actually made a reservation for a second night before we left. Everything everyone had was delicious and the service was exceptional! Try the mexican restaurant in Nizuc....wonderful service! We found that food choice and quality at the resorts has improved (it was always good before....now even better) but breakfast and dinner were best consistently. Lunch around the pool was hit or miss...try the outdoor grill for fresher food. Pools are clean, lovely and plenty of seating and shade if you want it. The only heated pool was at the Grand section....get there really early for a seat though. Bedding is fresh and comfortable....clean and consistent. Shows were fun at night and our favorite is the Fire Show. Have done tours to ruins in the past....would have repeated them if the other couple was up for it. Spa treatments (facial was especially nice at golf spa) as always a good way to use some resort $. They have instituted an 11% tax and service fee on the resort dollars you use....but still worth it for the spa! We don't golf so can't speak to that part of the experience. Will go again! WARNING: WHEN ARRIVING REMEMBER YOU HAVE PAID FOR TRANSPORTATION. DO NOT GIVE ANYONE MONEY, HEAD OUTSIDE THE TERMINAL TO GET YOUR RIDE. The inside folks are all time share vendors who dress the same as the transport people Palace employs and will take your money and run....this happened to one of our party and no, Palace cannot give or get your $ back!!!

Room Tip: Decide where you want to be....close to pool, close to beach, closer to restaurants....and ask for t...
7 Thank joy28504
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

We just got back from our trip to Cancun and the moon palace . We had an awesome time . The only blemish would be our check in : We were delayed at the airport , tons of people there etc.. and by the time we got to the hotel we were very tired and hungry . We got checked in no problem , but just as we were going to go to our room we got pulled aside by a gentleman in a green shirt . ( I think they were Vacation planners ) They went over all the areas of the resort , and alots of info regarding excursions etc.. It was about an hour long , with the final about planning a tour ( "time share " presentation ) for the next morning . We would have prefered to be allowed to freshen up or eat first .
Regarding the time share presentation . I have read alot of negativity about this . I made it very clear to the Vacation Planner and the person doing the presentation that we could not afford to get anything and never wanted to waste their time . I also made it clear that I never wanted it to go beyond 90 min . I will say that the presentaton went pretty much bang on 90 min . Also for attending they gave us 2 free tickets to Xcaret , worth $129 ea. I will say if I had the money and never already owned with Disney , I would really consider purchasing with Moon Palace .
If you decide to go to the presentation and are firm about not purchasing , just be clear and up front . If you decide to play the game like some do , it could very well take hours .
Now on with the rest :
The resort was awesome ! We stayed in the Nizuc , and got a free upgrade to ocean front .The attention to detail is incredible .You always felt important , and were never very long without a drink . The food was great , though if you show up late sometimes it was cold . There were about 15 or so restaraunts , we pretty much had the breakfast buffett at Manglers in the Nizuc , lunch at the poolside buffett . For Dinner we tried a new place each night , with our favorites being the Brazilian Steakhouse , the Barracuda Steak House , and La Gondola .I would also like to mention our servers , Macedonia at the Manglers Breakfast Buffett, and Luciette and Carlos at the poolside bars . One thing to remember is that each restaraunt has the exact same food each day . If you eat at Manglers for breakfast , tomorrow it will be the same . So if you want variety , pick another restaraunt .
The drinks are awesome as well . I was so happy they knew how to make my favorite drink : the Bushwacker . I think I was the only one ordering it , people just dont know what they are missing :}
The pools were great we stayed mainly in the Nizuc area , and will likely again the next time we come back . It is very central to everything . Also the Nizuc has a warm pool for those (like my wife ) who don't like the cold pool .
The beach was well groomed every morning . There was seaweed along the edges , and we decided to take the shuttle to the Beach palace , and the Sun Palace and use the beaches there . Both were incredible tho at times the waves were fairly rough . We also had lunch at both places . On the very last day I decided to try the beach at Moon Palace , and the first thing I noticed was the water was very warm . Also once you go past the first 10 feet , it was actually very nice ! I wish I had gone in earlier .
Rooms are very nice though as some have said a little dated , but we loved it .They always were around to clean . The fridge was consistantly stocked . According to my wife the shampoos and body wash are top notch .
Here is the breakdown of the trip :
Saturday evening we ate at the Brazilian Steak house . Awesome food . You get a all you can eat salad bar , and then they come around with 7 different types of meat. And they keep going until you tell them to stop .
Suday morning we did the breakfast meeting with Luis , we had a great time , we had made it clear we were not going to be able to purchase anything , and I think that helped move everything along . Luis was awesome to talk to not pushy , and in the end we had 2 free tickets to XCaret. We laid by the pool allday , we ate at Delphines had burgers and fries . That night we ate at the Manglers Buffet
Monday we ate at El Manglers Buffett again , then took a taxi to Beach Palace . Reuben was our taxi driver , and was awesome . He stopped along the way for us to take pictures . He is stationed at Moon Palace and has been for 13 years ! . He even went into Cancun and met us at Beach Palace for the ride home . After arriving at Beach Palace we proceeded to walk to Isla Shopping Center . We bought some jackets and shirts and then went to the beach . Incredible beach . There were 3 ladies who all went topless and were walking around , drawing all sorts of attention . We ate at teh Buffet in the lobby which was very similar to Manglers at Moon Palace .
Tuesday we ate again at El Manglers and took the bus to Xcaret . We did the underground River swim and ate at the Buffett . The food there was not good . The staff have no idea where anything is . The signs are not very accurate . This must be why they say you need 2 days to see everything . We had to take a bus to X hel and then took a transfer back to moon palace . We ate at La Gondola . Food was awesome . They made us a drink called Mayan Coffee . It was quite the show . They lit the alcohol on fire , was real cool .
Wednesday we took the shuttle to Sun Palace . This was awesome . All the lounge chairs are like the VIP chairs at moon palace . Very comfortable . We saw a Barracuda in the water as well . This resort is a couples only resort , and I could see us staying here .
Thursday and Friday we stayed at the resort , loungeing around the pools . We also did a Dolphin swim as well .
I am running out of things to say . I would highly recommend this resort . We would definately try to come back , staff was friendly and always trying to please .

Room Tip: Sun rises early and sets very quickly . Do as much as you can during the day so you can relax at nig...
6 Thank C W
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

We enjoy repeated trips to Moon Palace since 2009 for golf. The staff are always helpful. The facilities and options for activities great. We especially enjoy the 27 holes of Jack Nicholas designed golf.

Room Tip: Go oceanfront, if you can.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars
3 Thank McClure M
plymouth
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

we have just arrived home after our 10th visit to moon palace nizuc side.we would like to thank
the staff for another super holiday.right from the reception team right down to the cleaners nothing is left to chance.on arrival if your room is not what you may have expected speak up they will sort you out.thankyou to kapitans ramiero lobby bar.raquel and aduardo arreciffe restaurant,carmine & norma el manglar,anna pool area tremendous personality.pool area have 63 year old waiter baltazar who sings at 3pm have a listen also salvador & MINELLIA will keep you in drinks for ever.lobby bar staff lucas,elena,hilda,inez,karina.&estephenie always there for you.brazilian restaurant carlos,louise,francisco.sandra hostess and fernando chef nine different meats to try at your peril if you do your trousers wont fit on the way home.pilgrim66

Room Tip: higher floors very quiet highest room only 3 floors
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family