“Started out fabulous, ended average”
Review of Moon Palace Cancun

Moon Palace Cancun
Ranked #20 of 176 Hotels in Cancun
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed September 16, 2012 via mobile

Quick 'n' Dirty: lots of tips with US dollars for averge service, food posioning over average food, poor cleaning, no clean beach swimming, but an amazing view!
We arrived so excited, expecting pampering and 5star service from what we'd been told by friends. My sister & I were having our first girls only trip! We walked into the lobby to check in & were greeted with flowers for our hair, champagane while we checked in, and amazing staff! We got to our room with a fabulous view & great beds, ready to go explore! We stoppe at the desk to use our $1500 credit, only to find out almost everything was booked. Then transportation was $70 additional each way to each expedition! We were bummed, but decided to use the credit towards the spa, but prices were high, so just my sister was able to get a massage. Nothing else was available during our stay... Disappointed at that. No more champagne. Very little help.
Then we tried to find dinner. Let's just say, it was actually difficult to figure out where to go, signs were not readily available, and they had many weddings/ receptions where food was served outside (we were always scared we were crashing a party!) so we stuck to the reservation places after eating some not so appetizing dinners. Seafood place was the next night-- food poisoning galore!! Hit about 6 hrs later with severe diarrhea/ vomiting. Bad thing? Yes, worse? No way to clean up the room before housekeeping! I asked for additional trash bags-- they had holes in the bottoms! (hole punched areas in every bag! I'm still baffled on) then I tried to get some crackers/ Gatorade. Nothing. Only soda... We did eventually find crackers, but nothing to rehydrate quickly. 2 days later we finally recovered, with only 1 day left on our vacation! Cautiously we had to eat again, this time the pasta place. It was less flavorful than olive garden, some frozen veggies mixed with pasta? Salad was good, but my sister refused to eat anything raw since we loaded up on fruit, salad, then seafood on the day we got sick. So she missed the salad...
Drinks by the pool were so, so. And yes, people smoked. I was surprised. Overall, I liked the view & I later found out because we were not "members" we weren't supposed to get 'welcome champagne' but it did set for an awesome first impression and sad it didn't stay that way. Our room was never REALLY cleaned (sticky door handles so bad that we put tissue around them & it stuck!! --for our ENTIRE trip, the tissue was never removed & handles were never wiped down). After 3 days plus illness, it totally changed my perception of taking a jetted bath too, just the though! Ew.
Room service breakfast was ok (when u r sick), but getting breakfast to go boxes was the best! Omletes, fresh hot plantains, yum. Took it to the room and sat on the balcony. Great way to end the trip :)

• Stayed: April 2012
5  Thank InternationalJunkie
Write a ReviewReviews (23,461)

Reviewed September 16, 2012

I have been coming to palace resorts for 8 years now and for the most part have been totally pleased. I have made two trips this year and are coming back to Cozumel palace in December .i stayed at moon palace this time because Cozumel palace was completely booked the week we wanted to come. A very special thanks to the diamond concierge staff marimar montemayor, Paulina venegas, and Luis Lara.they went way above and beyond both in and outside the resort. They made our stay wonderful.i would also love to thank pool waitress Gertrudis canul. She was constantly attentive and never let our drinks get empty. A truly great person as well as most of the other staff we have had the pleasure to meet over the years . I played golf many times on all three courses and they are in great shape for the golfers that are thinking of playing. The fairways are in great shape, well protected by bunkers and water everywhere. They have a good golf academy also.Except for a few small reservation problems over the years I would highly recommend moon palace or Cozumel palace if you want a truly great time.

Richard and Tiea Longamore
Richard and Tiea Longamore

Room Tip: We always stay at sunrise. Ocean view we like the best. We like staying on the second or third fooor...
1  Thank Richard L
Reviewed September 16, 2012

Went to moon palace as a recommendation to enjoy summer vacation with my family, it was more than expected, beautiful landscaping, nice pools, service was awesome. If you have little children or teenagers, all family will enjoy it

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank PedroLBernal
Reviewed September 16, 2012 via mobile

a great hotel and cabcun is a great destination you wont be disappointed the staff are great food excellent facilities great and next summer a wave machine and dolphin swim area in the hotel the teens area is excellent

• Stayed: August 2012
3  Thank doddsy35
Reviewed September 15, 2012

I Booked over the 800 number. Am currently a member and asked what the difference was in member cost and non member cost. It was only about 300. I then asked do I lose any incentives by using a member price and was told no. " you still get the 1500 palace bucks and the free massage and it make no difference how you book it." So I figured ok I'll book it using the member price. Well guess what, once I got here, my friend Clemente tells me, and. I am quoting here" you only get 750 and sometimes they lie when they have you on the phone". So I am finishing out my stay here and going to make the best of it. Once we are gone we will not step foot in another palace resort. Not saying this will happen to you but beware.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
5  Thank scstewart
NormaGranados, Public Relations Manager at Moon Palace Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2012

We would like to thank you for your comments. We are very sorry to hear about this and I apologize for any miscommunication on our part. However the terms and conditions of our resort credit are clearly stated on our website. http://www.palaceresorts.com/1500-resort-credit-detalles-de-la-promocion-,landingPages_viewItem_6-en.html We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience and we do hope that you give us another opportunity to host you in the near future. Norma Granados

Reviewed September 15, 2012

This was our 1st trip to Cancun and we were pleased overall. We stayed at the Nizuc and loved the beach front! The resort has excellent security when you leave and return and it is wonderful to have access to all the Palace Resorts with free transportation! The Resort offers a lot of activities day and night. The food and shopping could have been better but the facility was quite beautiful. We ran into a couple of issues with getting the wrong information regarding the Disco Grand Opening & The Romantic Dinner. The staff outside at the pools & bars were great, especially at Palapa Delfines. ANGEL and staff were by far the most pleasant and helpful we came across! We went every night just to see Angel because we knew we would get the best service possible and we always did! Angel is a true asset and we are so happy to have met him!!

Room Tip: Nizuc - Beach Front
Reviewed September 14, 2012

Just returned from a week at Moon Palace, our second time at the property. If it is possible
it was better than our first visit. We booked thru Fantasy Travel in Berlin NJ and they had all the updated information on the property. The disco was closed the first few days we were there, and then a grand opening. They redid the disco and it is beautiful It was not very crowded and there were fewer places for breakfast than we saw the first td ime. The service at every restaurant was just terrific. We had to make reservations at the italian restaurant and the oriental restaurant by the golf course and they had a dress code, but It was worth it !! At every restaurant at sometime during dinner, the manager would arrive to make sure everything was okay.
Our hair dryer didn't work one day and we called and within minutes we had a new hair dryer. Then the phone rang, and they were checking to make sure everything was okay and we got the hair dryer .. Great customer service.
The beach is fine, but the water was full of seaweed and just not as pretty as the water on Cancun beaches. The pools were fantastic so that made up for the ocean. One day we went into Cancun to Beach Palace, that was nice but much smaller and lots of steps to get to pool, beach etc.
Overall, great experience and we cannot wait to go back.