“Great experience for our children!-” 5 of 5 bubbles

Moon Palace Cancun
Ranked #22 of 181 Hotels in Cancun
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Bogota, Colombia
“Great experience for our children!-”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2011

First time in family, 2 adults, and 3 children (7,3,1) we found excellent accomodation in Moon Palace Sunrise, great service (except for the bell boys in the check-out, they never appeared!), and a.lot of activities included to choose (from the 1,500 points (dollars) included for the stay).
My children love the kids club, thanks to Elvira and Maria Jose they did a great job.
From all the different restaurants we found the mexican "Los caporales" very nice, with the food, the music and the outstanding service form the waiters, Melecio (I think) and Valentin. the brazilian restaurant "Los arrecifes" had an excellent selection of beef, pork, lamb, and good wine, was the only place where we had to wait to be seated around 40 min but it worth the time.
We went to Tulum and Aventura cove, but the weather was hard for the humidity and there was no ramps for the stroller in Tulum. The best part was to swim there, beautiful turquoise sea.
We loved swimming with dolphins was a great experience for all of us, and the best, it was included!
...lot of good things to say, I would definitely come back with my family and friends.

Room Tip: choose rooms in 2nd or 3rd floors
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5,814)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Orange County
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2011

The service is the best. I love everything about that place except it is a little bit crowded for whoever wants a quiet place. I like all restaurants and bars there, but not sure about the spa. The spa is overprice for me.

Please note, if you want to buy gifts, you should buy at the resort where you don't have to bargain, and of course, the price is lower than other places.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank KristieN2010
Leyland UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2011

Arrived into Cancun 7th August for 10 night stay at Moon Palace after spending 5 nights on South Beach Miami. Nice American Airlines 80 minute flight be it held up at Miami for an hour due to thunderstorm and 90 minutes to get through immigration at Canun.
First word of warning as you pick your bags up continue walking until you are outside the terminal building to pick up your transfer .We didn't and were stopped by a man in uniform who asked where we were staying and took us over to a desk as it appeared they were from Palace Resorts l They gave us a map and details of where the hotel was and where we could pick up our transfer which we had booked via our agent with Lomas travel.Then the hassle started about trips ! We said we hadn't decided but were told that we would have to pay for certain ones at the Moon Palace that weren't included in resorts credits but they could do them for free ! Obviously a time share presentation next but we made a hasty exit ! Outside we met a Lomas travel rep who took us to a very nice Lincoln Navigator for an excellent transfer with a very nice driver . We were told that we should meet a rep at the hotel the next day to arrange return transfer time ( this became another hassle as was all about selling trips )
We checked in at the Sunrise section , we had booked a family room for me and my wife and 14 year old and an ocean view king for my 22 year old son and his girlfriend .The man at reception arranged for the rooms to be as close as possible .We had to give credit card for extra's and these are authorised as you go along but only charged at the end when you have the option to pay cash but note the authorisations take a week to be removed even if you pay by cash.We were given a nice fruity cocktail and then told to go over to guest services to discuss the resort credit programme .The lady there told us to go and relax in our room settle in and then see her later before 9 o'clock. Ok so far ! We were taken to our rooms and were impressed. Big king sized bed , large jacuzzi bath , balcony with hammock , mini bar fully stocked and optics with bacardi, vodka, tequila and whiskey.There was a nice bathroom with very large shower room .The connecting childs room was just the same but with 2 double beds and child bath products, sweets mini bar with soda's( no alcohol!) He had also been given an Xbox controller and game to use on the TV but note you have to sign a form and if they aren't returned there's a $160 charge .The other sons ocean view room was just the same but closer to the sea.We stayed in room 3448/50 and 3415 mango building which were nicely located just 2 minutes from pools and same to reception.Please note all family deluxe rooms are located in Sunrise section which is more family orientated and can be a pain with misbehaving kids.Just find a quiet spot at the pool , no issues at night or in restaurants
We decided to eat at the Brazilian steakhouse on the first night and made out to reception at 7.30 to see guest services re the credits first.We sat down and the lady went through the programme for about 20 minutes and we said we would go for dinner then come back the next morning and book what we wanted to do ! Not the answer she wanted ! we were then asked if we would attend their resort membership presentation for 2 hours when we wanted and she would get us another $2/300 credit .We explained that we wanted to do what we wanted and a good deal of relaxation .We weren't interested .We were then told it wasn't a time share ( it is in everything but name) and she would seek authorisation for more credit , we said no and the answer why not why not ! We politely said we were going for dinner and would come back the next day .Off we went on the bus to the Nizuc section , by now it was after 9 and we couldn't get a table at either the Brazilian or Mexican restaurtant and ended up going to a poolside grill .The food was mediocre but thankfully that was our worst food experience of the whole stay.Next day we had breakfast in our room and then I decided to go down book our stuff.First question at guest services this from a different member of staff when are you doing our tour and presentation.I said I'm not reply why not .I explained that I was on vacation to relax and wasn't interested .I was then told I could book certain tours with him but had to go to the tours desk to book others .So in the end I had to go back and forwards between the 2 desks as neither knew who was doing what .But booked spa for my wife and son, water park twice ,1 to include swimming with dolphins for 14 year old and 22 year old and girlfriend.Note you cannot do the dolphins without water park admission . Also booked limo into Cancun , romantic dinner for son and girlfriend, voucher for $299 of creams from salon ( you pay 11% tax , nice but not really worth $299) manicure and pedicure for wife and trip to Tulum .All this amounted to $1800 of the credits for our room and $1300 for my sons .I also asked about the 3 bottle tequila package that was available and was told come back later in your holiday ( this will be a point later of great annoyance) I went back to room and after 10 minutes I got a call asking again when are you doing the tour again from another lady ! Same answer I am not doing your tour , the phone was put down without comment.We went out for dinner and I called at guest services again to query the time for one of the trips and low and behold first question when are you doing the tour.I very politely explained how many times I had been asked and was not on holiday for this and would they please note not to ask again .
Here's what we thought of hotel -

Staff
Apart from guest services fantastic. friendly and polite in all area's
Pools
Huge and fantastic with great range of places to eat and drink including swim up bars
Entertainment
Daily at the pool area and in he evening at the outside theatre including Michael Jackson tribute ,Abba Mama Mia, Karaoke, Mexican Fiesta ,Mexican bands in lobby bar during day and karaoke at night .The only thing I would say that it all finished at 11 although there was a nightclub just at the side of the lobby which which my son and girlfriend attended and said wasn't bad.
Water park
About a 15 minute journey away , is part of all inclusive although food was pretty poor and the park is small with a wave pool small lazy river and 4 other different tube rides Tube rental is $4 .lockers $14 but you get $10 back on return of the key and towel rental $3.I wouldn't recommend getting a tube for everyone we did on our first visit and when we returned to our space after lunch they had gone ! The dolphins experience is great considering most of the cost is included in the credits .You get about 40 minutes including a belly ride .Afterwards they try to sell you pictures and a dvd .It cost us $99 for 3 pictures on a cd and a 5 minute dvd The cost of prints is $29 each ! Please make sure if you do buy to ask to see the pictures and dvd before you pay I luckily did and they weren't of out group ! You also cannot charge to your room be it that the park is owned by Palace resorts so take you card and/or enough cash and put in locker.
Tulum
An hours bus ride stopping at a Mexican cooperative to buy stuff .Then you are given a 30 minute talk after a $2 train ride to the main area and are left with about 30 minutes to yourself.Very very hot ! Our guide was excellent though and funny .You are then whisked off to Aventura Cove another Place hotel next door to the all adults Aventura Spa Palace.We arrived about 1.45 and were told we would have lunch then could use the pools etc with the aim of leaving at 4.15.The hotel was stunning , much smaller than the Moon but with a very large pool area with an enclosed lagoon just in front of the sea , we couldn't wait to get in . Lunch was excellent and whilst we always enjoyed the lunch food at the Moon this was a step up .Then just as we were eating our deserts the sky turned black and unbelievably 2 tornado's could be seen about a couple of miles offshore.Sons were very excited as was everyone else and we saw them move down the coast.These were followed by violent thunderstorms which put to bed any idea of swimming so we spent the rest of the time in the very nice lobby bar.We got back to hotel about 5.15.
Limo
We booked with our credits a stretch Cadillac into town about 30 minutes away.We ate at Planet Hollywood , nice meal 2 course cocktails and beers came to about $160 for 5.We them got a short cab ride to Senor Frogs for a couple of hours .Mad place full of drunken teens , overpriced drinks, as you would guess me and my wife hated it , eldest son and girlfriend loved it .We got a taxi back about 1am which cost us $40 for 5 of us.
Restaurants at Moon
We ate at Brazilian Steakhouse finally at Nizuc which was average .Meat included sirloin, turkey, pork , spicy sausages which were all good and flank steak and lamb which was very poor.The service also wasn't very good.We ordered a bottle of wine and our glasses were never filled .This seems to be the same in a lot of the restaurants whilst they were always filled in others if you order after your first drinks you never get your bottle until after you are halfway through your main course so ask for it straight away .
Mexican at Nizuc was fanatastic
At Sunrise Asian, Italian buffet were excellent , the steakhouse by the pool was excellent but not so the second time we ate there.We always ate at the buffet at the steakhouse in the day which was very good and you could always pop in for an top up and take back to your bed.Ice cream and lollies were available to.There was also a nice Pizza place at the side of the swing bar which is in the centre of the pool complex .You tell them what you want toppings wise and they make it before you then put in the wood oven.Swing bar is fun .You just sit on a swing and order drinks.We didn't eat a t the Mexican buffet or seafood restaurant at Sunrise or any others at Nizuc or Grand.Breakfast was always in the room and was excellent and delivered bang on time .
We got the golf buggys to the golf club and ate at the Italian and Asian both of which were fantastic from a food and service point of view.Please note also that in any of the a la carte restaurants you tend to get a sample of the starters to share without ordering which is nice touch and little extras like saki in the Asian afterwards
Spa and beauty salon
My wife and son said they were great and top notch
Others
There is a shop , jewellers( see resort credits) internet cafe which serves light breakfast and snacks ,a churros wagon and hot dog self service stall just outside the lobby bar at night which is great for a late night snack .popcorn and nuts were also served from time to time in the bars. Never did room service apart from breakfast .My son said the food and service at the romantic dinner was good .Menu was drink on arrival , Lobster Bisque ,Fillet of beef and lobster , desert and champers.They set up a nice area at the lakeside terrace near all the fountains .
Resort credits restrictions
We had $2000 per room .You can only spend $400 in the spa per room ,water park is $59 each , most trips are $100 each .Dolphins will cost you another $59 to get in water park and $129 each but at this time of year you are restricted to $200 per room so for my sons room we had to pay the difference of $59 for 2 of them .Romantic dinner was $350 , creams from salon $299 ( you have to pay 11% tax ) .You can have the upgraded wine in all restaurants which start at $50 a bottle but the house wine was good enough for us . You can also get a $300 jewellery voucher for the jewellery shop note this is not for the jewellery in the main gift shop . Problem is here nothing is less than a $1000 in one half of the shop and the other half is not cheap .They have a tray of rings etc they show you which are $300 but there is no way in a million years they are worth that.You also have to pay 11% tax on anything .
Now the Tequila package oh my god how annoyed was I ! Day one was told order later in your holiday so for each of the last 5 days I went down for my voucher was told none left come back tomorrow. On the last night we saw the packages on the desk at the gift shop and asked if we could have one .The member of staff said no problem but you have to get a voucher .It was too late so I went down to guest services at 8am on our departure day for a voucher for each room .We were departing at 9.45am.Lady asked what my room was looked at screen and said she couldn't do it and pointed me in the direction of the another guest services staff .I went over asked for the vouchers answer my password is locked out of the system because the supplier has run out come back tomorrow.I advised him that I was departing in an hour and I knew the shop had them in stock.He shrugged his shoulders.I said that's great and marched over to reception to complain .They said it wasn't anything they knew about and I had to go see guest services.I went and sat with a lady and explained .She said she would ask .Came back and said no vouchers left .I told her that they had them in the shop but they are reserved for other guests with vouchers she said.But I explained that they all couldn't be as they told me if I went in with a voucher I would get them .That's not right sir .So I went into the shop and said can I have any tequila as part of the resort credits .Have you got a voucher , not my question could I have the tequila do you have it in stock if I go and get a voucher, yes sir of course . Gave up in the end just service as poor as I've seen it ,If these people want a lesson then go to the Z Ocean hotel on South Beach Miami and see how Sydne treats her customers .Do they realise that they are letting a great hotel down ? Another example .My sons room one morning was flooded when they woke up I suspect it was coming from the room next door but guest services were called 3 times before a maid came to clean up .Several hours later a maintenance man came and as far as we could see all he did was switch off my sons jacuzzi jets .A day later I complained that they were without the jets and it was spoiling their experience and was promised they would be fixed but they never were and they were without them for 4 days.
Summary
This is a fanatastic place I would return without doubt .The hotel has everything you would wish for .We saw many animal life wandering through the grounds , alligators , deer , monkeys, iguanas a really never to be forgotten experience .Great rooms . food drink and the resort credits mean you will spend very little .We had the dolphins add on , a couple of jet skis and the tax on the creams .We tipped in the bars and restaurants only small , the buggy drivers , maids and lobby bar staff .We tipped the pool staff at end of holiday .Note we never saw any staff touting for tips or lowering their standards if they didn't get one .They were all all Mexican staff , native staff something you rarely see in international hotels .They all seemed to be enjoying their jobs and were very friendly. The only downside always revolved around guest services whether it be them hard selling their 3 hour presentation or just their ability to complicate everything and make life difficult for their guests .They even organised the bus pick ups for the trips and to the water park and even these were chaotic with the bus's always in the wrong places.
I won't mention the beach it has been covered so many times .It is swept of seaweed several times a day but you cannot swim in the water .Just lie on a bed on the white sand turn round and jump in the vast pool !
We didn't visit Nizuc or Grand during day just didn't seem worth it just for the pools but would expect same great standards.
Message to Palace Hotels sort you guest services staff and you have a perfect holiday experience !!!!

Room Tip: Looka t the map of resort on website and negotiate where you want to be when check in .
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
12 Thank pinkisback
winchester
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2011

My husband and I have been twice and have not found any where else that compares. You will not want to leave!!! The place is beautiful and so relaxing. You never have to leave the resort and they offer lots to do. During our visits we alos toured other Palace resorts, they were great to but not as nice as Moon Palace. The staff was very friendly and the resort was very clean and well kept. Great place for honey mooners and couple get aways. All of the restaurants had great food and the breakfasts were outstanding!!!

You will not want to leave Mexico after you have stayed here!!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank SYC12
Portland, Oregon
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2011

I took my son here after he got SCUBA certified when he was 12. I was a single mom and thought such a beautiful resort would be safe and I really liked that it was all-inclusive. I had made the mistake of hiding the safe key in the room while going to the beach and every dollar that I had brought for the dive portion of our trip was stolen out of the safe. When I got management involved and security - they apologized and offered me a bottle of tequila. I have never felt quite so helpless! The accommodations were gorgeous and amenities wonderful but all of that went by the wayside when every dollar was stolen. Hopefully they've invested in a safe that is coded instead of keyed.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
11 Thank slim0308
Barrie, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2011

We held our wedding at the Moon Palace and had guests (various ages) from all across Canada. The biggest chore was arranging arrival dates from across our great Country. Everyone was extremely happy with their rooms, the service, the drinks, the food and the staff. Looking back - I'm so glad we picked the Moon Palace to to host this memorable event and keep all 28 of our guests happy with their vacation plans. My only recommendation would be for the bride and groom to stay on a little longer than their guests - we were absolutely played out when we went home, trying to be with everyone all week - we needed a vacation from our vacation!!!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank snowbirdwannabe1
New jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2011

Really great place to stay with friends or family. Top notch service and great ammenities. Recommend highly

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cancun
Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita
Iberostar Paraiso Lindo
Iberostar Paraiso Lindo
#5 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,753 reviews

Been to Moon Palace Cancun? Share your experiences!