“Excellent Staff”

Ranked #61 of 175 Hotels in Cancun
Saskatoon, Canada
“Excellent Staff”
Reviewed February 2, 2014

I stayed here in November, the hotel itself was slightly above average, food was good and a great location. I found the hotel staff very excellent especially the entertainers they were very helpful and a tone of fun. Jonathan Calderon was one of the entertaining staff members and did an amazing job taking us out to see the nightlife cancun has to offer as well as making our stay fun and exciting.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
monica c, Gerente at Park Royal Cancun, responded to this review, February 4, 2014
We are pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us so much, we would love to welcome you once more on your next trip to Cancun. Thank you for sharing your experience on this site and we will definitely work on base of your comments and keep improving.

We are also very glad to hear than our entertainment staff has such a nice reviews.

Thank you!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (353)
  • Polish first
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
Reviewed January 16, 2014

I needed to return to Cancun for a couple days prior to my flight to return to U.S. after being in Mexico for close to 3 weeks. My search was online, trying to find a reasonably priced all inclusive for 1 person. Boy, was I pleasantly surprised with my stay at the Park Royal Cancun!

Dinners each night are a cultural theme - Friday Night was Japanese, Saturday was Mexican theme. Sushi was made fresh to order and was awesome! There were so many authentic delicacies to choose from! Waitstaff was very attentive, you were seated immediately. Restaurant was very clean. Breakfast was excellent, lots of fresh fruit, juices, omelette/eggs to order bar, vegetables, sweet rolls - plenty of variety. 2 full buffets with entire array of food to choose - all quite delicious.

After dinner activity was scheduled nightly. Friday was a Magic show, Saturday was a Mexican Fiesta.

Room was awesome especially since I was upgraded to a suite. Room was clean, quiet and very relaxing. The suite sleeps six people comfortably. Housekeeping was unobtrusive and very helpful.

Concierge/Bell Boy were extremely helpful especially when I arrive to find my suitcases had been sealed with a nylon tie, requiring a knife or scissors to break open. Naturally, all my knives were inside the luggage I couldn't open. Bell Boy came right up with me and cut the nylon ties.

Pool side was gorgeous, wait staff was happy to make whatever drink with whatever brand liquor or choice. Swim up bar or cabana bar in the shade to read or relax and view the ocean. Beach was quite beautiful.

Saturday was rainy most of the day - but activities for the whole family were moved to the fitness room or changed to indoor game for the kids. Leaders were making balloon animals and organizing indoor games with children.

I witnessed lots of families enjoying their stay at Park Royal. Activities were structured for all ages - you could choose to particpate. Fitness Room is by the pool and was being used a lot by guests.

Keep in mind that I speak Spanish like a native and had spent 2 weeks of my stay in Central Mexico. Enjoyed walking along Kukulcan Boulevard. Lots of iguanas everywhere. Bus System is very easy to navigate.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
6 Thank CCValmex2014
monica c, Gerente at Park Royal Cancun, responded to this review, January 30, 2014
We are pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us so much, we would love to welcome you once more on your next trip to Cancun. Thank you for sharing your experience on this site.
Cali, Colombia
Reviewed January 12, 2014

I stayed 3 nights at this hotel, solo.

The hotel greatest feature, its beach. Huge. The second, location, location, location (a mall within 300 yards, restaurants and night life).

The grounds are fine, the facilities seems to be well kept, and the food in general, is good enough for an all inclusive hotel...don´t expect a gourmet experience. One minor inconvenience, the parking lot is small, so you may be forced to look around for a parking spot.

The major inconvenience for me, was the lack of free WiFi. And $17 USD per day?.... no way.

I don´t think the hotel is good for families with small kids: no kids pool or no kids area (or at least I didn´t spot it).

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
3 Thank MontyMontano76
Monica C, Gerente at Park Royal Cancun, responded to this review, February 24, 2017
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us! We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay at Park Royal Cancun. We apologize for the shortcomings that you describe. We hope that these events don’t deter you from staying with us again.
La Jolla, California
Reviewed January 4, 2014

My mum and step dad have timeshare ownership with Royal in Mexico. They had stayed here previously and highly recommended it - and they were right. This was a 50th birthday celebration for my best friend (and cousin). I had arranged with the hotel for transportation to meet us at the airport. Our flight was late and the airport was bedlam - and of course the timeshare touts tried to tell me they could get us to our hotel - but finally another taxi driver directed our driver to us. Paid our fare directly ($12/person) to the driver and my cousin was thrilled as she was able to practice her Espanol with the driver. If there are more than two of you it would be cheaper to catch a regular taxi to the hotel.

Our initial room was in the main building - room 2215 was a studio with two beds and views to the lagoon and the ocean. However, the windows do not open and I prefer fresh air, so after three days (we had arrive just before Christmas) we were able to relocate to a one bedroom for an extra $40/night in the other building - room 1211, which had a balcony so we could keep the door open. The one bedroom had a murphy bed in one room and the other room had two beds like the studio, and it had two bathooms, one with a bath/shower combo. The rooms have a television (and two in the one bedroom room) which we hardly used, and the décor is okay - not great but not bad, but as the only reason we were in the room was to sleep - perfectly fine for our needs.

Bathroom amenities were soap and shampoo, but would bring my own (which I did). There was bottled water provided each day, and the room was serviced each day - some timeshares do not provide daily servicing of the room, so this was very nice.

This hotel is a compulsory all inclusive, and I was hesitant about this feature, but wow - the food is fresh and wonderful and the menu is different each day. Also, the a la carte restaurant is fantastic - be sure to make a reservation on the day at 2pm - very worthwhile. Also, the alcohol is available all around the property - you need to walk to one of the many bars to get your own drinks which was no biggie to me, but if you like lounge service, this would not be the place for you. The staff of the restaurants - from the girls greeting you at the door, to the wait staff to the bus boys/girls - greet you warmly each morning and nothing is too much trouble. Great, friendly service.

The entertainment staff seek to involve everyone in the daily activities, but I did not partake - just wanted to be on the beach and read and swim, There is a small library of books available at the towel desk. We went with them to Senor Frogs for New Year Eve with one way transport there, table and open bar service. They rotate the evening activity each night at 10pm to Senor Frogs, CocaBongo and a couple of other spots - spoke with others who went who said it was good

There is a spa, but for our spa day we went to La Blanc - would do this again for a spa day due to the facilities at the location. The massage rooms and steam room and sauna at Park Royal looked good (but as I said, we did not use these facilities).

The only disappointment, and not the fault of the hotel - the tours we booked through the on-site travel agency. We took one tour to Chichen Itza which started with a trip to a store, a bilingual tour of the site and only got to be at the site for 2.5 hours, then to a sink hole for a swim and then to a not so great lunch buffet at 4pm - terrible experience, and had I known it would only be 2.5 hours at Chichen Itza would have not taken the tour. If you want to go to Chichen Itza - get your own transportation there, hire an English speaking guide and stay as long as you want. We also did a snorkel tour - another disappointment that did not include going to a reef and again a very disappointing lunch buffet was included - but did make us appreciate the food at the Park Royal!

Best feature of this hotel was the beach location - right on the beach with a dedicated lifeguard.

We met many people from all over the word, not only Mexicans, but Brazilians, Canadians, Spaniards, Americans, English and all very pleasant people. So a nice group of people stay at this hotel.

For stays over a certain number of days (cannot remember how many), there are tickets to the movies at the cinema in the mall across the way - we went and saw a movie in English with Spanish subtitles, there is also the ability to get a lunch box to take on a day trip and discounts to various stores and restaurants in the local area.

Felt very safe walking around the area and catching the local buses that run outside the hotel - $9 peso per person per trip. The buses run continually.

We caught a taxi back to the airport - $25.

So overall a great experience and would stay there again.

Room Tip: If you want a room with fresh air, ask for a room with a balcony, otherwise it is only air condition...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
5 Thank AussieNarelle
Reviewed December 30, 2013

Would stay here again! Clean restaurants, friendly service from all staff members. Food is amazing! Jonny walker and Pablo provided excellent service all around, they made our stay feel like a home away from home.

• Stayed November 2013
4 Thank Will905
Delta, Ohio
Reviewed December 20, 2013

We have been going to this place many years. The food is good, but the service is the best I have ever seen. The waiters are well above standard. Better than any we have here in U S. The hostesses are young and beautiful, and so very loving. The people (workers) make this place extraordinary. The lifeguard is excellent, also very friendly.

The rooms are clean and up to date. They have an excellent Italian restaurant, again with wonderful waiters. The grounds are beautiful. I would give this place a 4 star.+

Room Tip: We use an ambassador with a balcony. Roomy and we have our adult children come for a visit.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank Nancy C
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed December 14, 2013

This honest review or the Park Royal Cancun contains both the positive and negative aspects that my wife and I experienced during our one week stay between Dec 6 - Dec 13, 2013.

Chances are good that we would stay at The Park Royal Cancun again!

Note: The reason we stayed at this property was due to us purchasing a Royal Holiday Vacation package during our last trip to Cancun in 2011.

This was the first time we used the membership and the first time we have ever stayed at a Park Royal property.

------------------

NEGATIVE - ONLY ONE

"Royal Holiday Member Service Staff"

If you are NOT a Royal Vacation Member, AVOID WASTING YOUR VACATION TIME ENGAGING IN CONVERSATION WITH THEM.

If you have questions or requests, go to the Reception. Try to speak with David or Nahomi if possible. We found 95% of the reception staff were helpful.

If you ARE A MEMBER of Royal Vacation you are entitled to some "benefits" (such as complimentary movie tickets that can be used across at the mall) and possibly some other ones that you get only if you attend a session where you will be pressured to upgrade or extend your membership. Take what is free and coming to you and decide if you want to sit through a meeting or not.

ATTENTION: ONLY SIT DOWN AND TALK WITH "CARLOS" OR "CONNIE" because they will speak straight to you and give you the help you need. Carlos is fluent in English, Spanish and I believe French. Connie is not great with English YET but she is very sincere.

BE WARNED: DO NOT DEAL WITH GUSTAVO OR DAVID. Why is that?

We had an initial problem when we arrived at the hotel due to the hotel shuttle not being at the airport to meet us. We ended up being scammed by a shuttle company that charged us $90.00 to take us to the hotel. At the airport, we were put on the phone to a staff member at "Park Royal Cancun" who assured us we'd be reimbursed all but $12 of this cost due to their error in not having a shuttle available.

When we and explained to Gustavo the situation and presented our receipt, he rudely and bluntly said: "You will not get reimbursement for this! Who did you speak to?". Unbelievably he then tried to get us to do a tour and upgrade our membership. He failed to tell us that being members, we had free access to the gym and that our safe in the room was free and that we could get free movie tickets! When I insisted that something be done about the $90.00 we paid he said: "I'll look into it and get back to you" Yeah, right! He never did. An extremely dishonest and unprofessional person.

David, was all that and more! When we tried to get help from him on this same matter, he stated with a straight face, in Spanish "Pequito Inglas" although moments before we heard him speaking fluent English to another guest. When we called him out for lying to us, he simply "shrugged his shoulders" and put his head back down towards his mobile phone and ignored us.

We must also mention, an extremely unhelpful and snooty Royal Holiday member named Rocio (female who works at the counter near reception).

We picked up our complimentary tickets from her for the movie and asked her what films these tickets could be used for and if there was any fee we needed to pay as well at the theatre (we were unsure if they were free or discounted tickets and didn't want to be caught off guard at the theatre). We also needed to know the showtimes.

She virtually didn't speak, but printed off a paper with the listing and handed it to us. We took the paper to our room and when we looked at it, it was in Spanish! I went back to see her to request it I English and she said: "it is only in Spanish" to which I said: "Well that's not going to help us" and she then turned her computer back on and said: "you can write this down - I will translate" and I said: "Why didn't you do this initially? You knew we spoke English but you didn't bother to suggest this?" She simply giggled "hehehe....Well you are having it now"

She is one of those people who are simply "too cool for school" and thinks she is much better than then the job she has been given. As well, she is obviously not interested in helping the English speaking guests. (I would like to mention that probably 75% of the guests speak either Spanish or Portuguese).

In my business, Gustavo, David & Rocio would all be reprimanded for this behavior and or dismissed or moved to another position that involved minimal contact with the public.

THE POSITIVE THINGS:

"The Resort Staff" (the regular employees) are absolutely wonderful.

Ever waiter in the buffet restaurant "La Veranda" was right on top of all our needs. One in particular we had was Alejandro. He looked after the outside patio seating where we frequently ate our breakfast and lunch. Very personable but not intrusive and yet aware of our needs and wishes.

The food quality in the buffet was consistently great. Someone mentioned to us that they found the food sometimes lukewarm, but my wife and I didn't notice it to be constant. At the same time, we did mention it to the staff and they took the counsel well.

"La Veranda" had theme nights - One night would be Asian, the next Tex-Mex, and so on.

If we didn't wish to have the theme dinner, we could always make reservations at the specialty Italian restaurant. You must make reservations by phone or in person between 2 and 4 pm for that evening's dinner. We ate there 3 times -- always amazingly good food and again, the service of the waiters was fantastic.

We would like to mention two servers, Felipe and Lorenzo. Both very personable and attentive guys who made our time there pleasurable.

Praise for other resort staff - the three guys in the upper bar - Mario, Leonardo and Francesco were always attentive and would try to guess our habitual drink requests and provide them with speed. Fun guys to chat with as well.

As mentioned previously, we found the staff at reception to be great. There were one or two others also helpful, but I remember best David & Nahomi how were polite and professional and were able to assist us and answer questions.

Cannot forget the guys who worked in towel exchange. I remember Fermin for his continual good natured smile and attitude and a few others.

The activity coordinators and hardworking Johnny and Jonathan. Man, did these guys ever not work? They were everywhere and doing everything with such winning personalities. From the activities throughout the day to organizing Karaoke to sending the group of us off to Coco Bongo.

You get the picture here? The staff are fantastic -- other guests that we spoke with agree as well and one couple who are NOT members of Royal Holidays stated that they come back to Park Royal Cancun because of those staff! They hated dealing with the pressure from the Royal Holiday Staff!!

OTHER THINGS TO KNOW:

We had an adjoining room which we didn't like (we don't ever like them because you may have a noisy neighbor) but apparently you can request a "non communication/conversation" room.

The beds are double sized but somewhat short (we're not tall and we could fill the entire bed). The beds are firm and some people might not like that but we didn't find them a problem.

Showers are very good in the room; you only get 2 complimentary bottles of bottled water per day but the sign in the room says the water is okay/purified to drink.

This hotel is small, made up of two buildings that are perhaps 6 floors high. Not big buildings.

There is a small grocery/sundry store for purchases but unlike the bigger hotels, there is no shopping in the hotel.

The hotel has only two pools and pretty basic ones (small-ish in comparison to other hotels). One has a swim up bar but often children occupy the seats next to their parents so it's not like a fantastic swim-up arrangement. I'm not sure if this is the "kids pool" or the "adults"

One thing that is very negative about this pool was the fact that I noticed on several occasions people were walking in the pool (up their chest) carrying drinks and sometimes food. This is terribly unhygienic.

The washrooms/restrooms are very clean; the cleaning staff were always working on something.

The beach: The beach doesn't belong to the hotel but frequently staff came out picked up litter and straighten the beach chairs out. The vendors walking around selling their items were not intrusive but did ask if we're interested in purchasing things.

We found the entire time (besides the first day situation) relaxing and enjoyable.

The hotel appears to cater to more central and south American guests rather than those form the USA or from Canada (we're from Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) but this fact doesn't bother us at all. I noticed that some reviewers made comment about this and that it was somehow a negative thing, perhaps because of the language barrier.

I don't know about you, but I'm on vacation, it's not a time to build long lasting friendships. Being polite and courteous to everyone and enjoying a culture that isn't your own is part of what makes vacations fun.

Hopefully this review and kudos made and the recommendations are helpful.

Room Tip: Ask for a "non adjoining room" (Nahomi referred to the adjoining room as a "communica...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
8 Thank Gord M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cancun
Smart Cancun by Oasis
#50 of 175 in Cancun
Oasis Palm
Oasis Palm
#78 of 175 in Cancun

Been to Park Royal Cancun? Share your experiences!