“Fourth stay.”

Ranked #60 of 181 Hotels in Cancun
Chicago
“Fourth stay.”
Reviewed June 12, 2013 via mobile

I have stayed here several times and I'm never disappointed. Although it is a smaller resort the service keeps up with the best of them. The bartenders Francisco and Francisco remembered me from when I went in January. Luis and Jon from the entertainment staff are hilarious. They love what they do and they are good at it. I am planning on returning soon.

• Stayed June 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (343)
  • Polish first
Norwich, New York, United States
Reviewed June 9, 2013

We arrived at Park Royal on Sunday June 2nd and Departed on Saturday June 8th. We arrived before we were able to officially check in but we were greeted at the door, our luggage was taken care of, we were given a drink all within the first 5 minutes of arriving at the resort. We were allowed to still get our wrist bands and they told us to feel free to grab a drink, get some lunch or enjoy the pool - that we could get our room keys at 4pm and our luggage would be delivered to the room. My first impression was very good.
The first 2 days or so of our stay it rained. A LOT. They had activities that day planned, such as a cocktail show, dance lessons, fashion show, etc... However, because of the rain these were cancelled. There was not much else to do at the resort inside. I personally feel that these activities could have been moved to the lobby inside without hesitation. That was my only disappointment here.
The best part of this resort is the staff - they are always making sure you are comfortable and happy. Every corner you turn they are cleaning something - from windows, wiping down the pool chairs, arranging the furniture correctly, picking up, cleaning the plants, and always making sure your glass is full! Everyone was extremely friendly, professional, and very hard working.
The rooms were very big and very clean. We stayed on the 6th floor and could see water on either side of us. We traveled with 4 other couples - we were placed on the 1st floor and 6th and not one room had a bad view. The only complaint that is based only on preference is that the beds were a little hard and short - I traveled with someone who is 6'5 and their feet hung off the bed a bit... We had 2 double beds in the room. The floors were marble and the fixtures were nice - nice sink, shower, etc...
While they give you 2 bottles of water a day in your room, we still drank the faucet water and did not get sick.
The Italian MIRADOR restaurant was easy to get a reservation in and was beautiful. They had a gentleman play the violin each night we dined there and it was a great experience. You can either call to reserve, or reserve in person.
The service in the buffet VIRANDA was wonderful as well - they seat you, bring you your beverages, as well as any other oddities such as toast and bacon during breakfast. They were really good at always clearing your table of empty plates and garbage such as the creamer containers. We saw them in the mornings actually making sure the little tabs on the individual creamer containers were pulled out for you. They paid very close attention to detail. I even had a gentleman on a few occasions carry my plate back to my table for me. The buffet food quality was pretty standard for buffet food. Not "wedding" quality buffet style... but it was good - it is what I would expect a CASUAL buffet to be.
They also have pizza, burgers, nachos, hot dogs, etc... for you outside of the buffet restaurant and at the snack bar.
While we stayed, the waves were pretty rough... They had red flags on the beach (green = great for swimming, yellow = be cautious, red = rough swimming conditions) - we brought snorkels hoping we could snorkel on the beach like we have done on other vacations but because of the roughness we were unable to do so - while it was still fun to play in the waves, I would be interested in knowing how it is when the "green" flags are up.
I am a big wine drinker and while I always was able to get a glass of wine I enjoyed, they did have limited kinds. Not every bar has every kind- the lobby bar only had cabernet and a white wine that im not sure what kind it was... The buffet had chardonnay. I am not sure if the kind of wine in each place changes, but you couldn't get any kind, any time, any where.
Over all - the service is what makes this resort enjoyable - along with its beautiful, clean beaches!!!

Room Tip: 6th floor - the "theme" of this floor looks like a calm spa - low lit, hallways with lit u...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Megan C
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed June 6, 2013

This was the worst experience I have ever had with a Mexican Resort - The Park Royal Cancun. Even though I paid double to get it, I did not get the ocean view room promised until two days later and only after my continual urging. Then it rained hard with the wind blowing and the room flooded and stayed that way until we left. We had to use towels and whatever to keep the rain from coming into the room and flooding the entire suite.

But the absolute worst things was the fact that they accused us of breaking a kleenex box cover and though I told them many times we did not break it, that it was already broken when we arrived, they especially some gal named Rosa/Rosario was ugly, rude and basically accused us of being dishonest liars. That gal ought to be fired. The Resort/Hotel Manager was not much better. He could have handled the situation better but did not. Maybe he should be fired as well so they can get someone there that is much more customer focussed. Though we did not break the kleenex box cover they charged us 640 pesos, equvalent to $54 US for the measly kleenex box cover that you can buy here in the US for under $5.

We will NEVER EVER go back to that Resort Again nor any resort associated with Royal Holiday.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank speedygogolee
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed June 5, 2013

We paid extra to guarantee a Presidential Suite with an ocean view but when we checked in our room did not have an ocean view. When we called down they said nothing was available. We had to wait two days (half of our stay) before they were able to move us into a room with an ocean view. There were strong rains when we were there and the rooms flooded. When we checked out we were told we had to pay for a tissue box cover that was broken even though we had not broken it. They refused to give in and they charged us $50!!! for the tissue box. The wait staff were extremely accommodating but the front desk and management staff were awful. I would never go back there again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank elenat
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Reviewed May 25, 2013

My husband and I stayed here after two wonderful stays in the Cozumel Park Royal and were honestly a bit disappointed in the resort. The food in the buffet was not nearly as good as the other resort. We were also disappointed with the number of children at the resort. We paid to upgrade to a Presidential room but did not receive an ocean front view, as only half of these rooms actually have them. There was a hot tub on the balcony which we used once. Most of the rooms in the resort do not have balconies. The room also had a refrigerator.

The one restaurant in the resort was amazing. The food and service were outstanding and they had a special drink each night. We truly enjoyed the dinners. The reservation times seemed to fill up quickly..

The beach at this resort leaves nothing to be desired with plenty of chairs and shade. The pools were a bit backwards in my opinion. The 'family' pool had a swim up bar while the 'adult' pool did not.

We used the bus system several times while staying in Cancun. The fare is only 8 pesos per person and it runs from the resort to the downtown area with a bus running every minute or so. We used it to do some shopping on Tulum Ave. We also used Cancun Transfers to and from the airport which is about 20-25 minutes away. We pre-booked online which I would definitely recommend.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Gina M
Reviewed May 25, 2013

Park royal was an amazing resort. The beaches were very clean. The entertainment staff treated everyone so kindly and showed that they cared we were there. Carlos Angel Salas was the best! He was so much fun! I hope to come back next year!

• Stayed May 2013
Chicago IL
Reviewed May 23, 2013

My family and I stayed at the Park Royal from may 15th thru the 22nd. We had booked a presidential suite because we were a larger group (my parents, my husband, young daughter, and myself) and we wanted a room that could fit us all yet have privacy for both families. The layout didnt really work for us since the Murphey bed was too small for my husband and my daughter and I. The other room had two smaller double beds. We ended up pushing them together so that solved that.

I have stayed at the Park Royal several times in the past, but since then Ive stayed at other hotels in Mexico and the Dominican Republic and all I can say about the Park Royal is that it is in desperate need of a face-lift. I have pictures from over 20 years ago from my stays there as a child and it looks exactly the same. No frills no fuss. Everything is very clean but it is definitely not modern or luxurious by any means.

The food was ok. I didn't have anything outstanding at either restaurant. The waiters are really nice and hard-working and they really do appreciate your tips. Watch out for the one tall waiter in the morning though. He will try to sell you things while you're sitting there eating your breakfast and if you don't buy into any of his trips or whatnot he will ignore you and give you attitude for the rest of your stay.

The beach is BEAUTIFUL. Its clean, free debris, and the lifeguard is ON IT.
The drinks sometimes were pretty watered down but if you ask them to put more liquor in it they will. The bartenders seemed indifferent though.

The staff giving out towels are super nice, especially Baltazar.

I found one of the staff that worked behind the front desk to not be very efficient. My husband and I booked a massage at the spa and they instructed us to go pay for it first at the front desk. The girl at the spa called the front desk and told them we were coming to pay. When we arrived, we told the man at the front desk that we came to pay for the massage we booked and he gave us attitude. He asked how much the massage was and when we weren't 100% sure he told us to go back and find out. I asked him if he could call the spa and ask because we had our 2 year old with us and she was already throwing a fit from walking back and forth. He said no and that if we wanted to we could go use the phone around the corner.
When we finally did go get our massage their were 2 men working in the womens locker room with a blow torch. It wasnt the relaxing experience i was hoping for especially since we paid $65 for the massage and I could have just gone across the street to the mall an gotten one for $16.

They are waaaaaaaayyy too uptight about the food situation. No food can leave the restaurants and you definitely cant have any in your room. Plus, they don't have anything to drink in the rooms. They leave you 2 little bottles of water for I guess everyone and if you want more you have to buy it. huh? Why am I paying this all inclusive fee if I still have to buy things?

So overall it was okay. The sun, the beach, the weather it was all gorgeous. But if you are looking for something more modern and up to date and a hotel that isnt trying to nickel and dime you, stay somewhere else.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family