“Ok for a first visit to Cancun”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Park Royal Cancun

Park Royal Cancun
Ranked #61 of 182 Hotels in Cancun
Clements, California
“Ok for a first visit to Cancun”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2012

The first time I ever went to Cancun I was with my parents and sister, and we stayed at the Park Royal, aka Piramides Resort. It is a time-share resort, and we stayed in a 1 bedroom suite using my folks' time share for the year. The room was pretty basic as were the public areas, but I did not know it at the time as I had nothing in my experience at that point to compare it to. Probably the best aspect of the resort is its location across the street from the Isla Mall. I enjoyed my stay there enough that it made me want to return to Cancun, but I would not stay at the Park Royal again. There are far to many better choices in Cancun.

Note: my stay at the Park Royal was earlier than May 2011 which is the earliest time available on the Trip Advisor review template.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank I-love-to-travel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (333)
  • Polish first
Sao Paulo, SP
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2012

Excelente food, very nice rooms and service! I got a Royal Holiday plan, but I think this hotel has a cheaper price than others in the same region...

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Indianapolis, IN
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2012

This year was my first time in Cancun! I stayed for a week in March over Spring Break. Everything about this hotel was amazing! The accommodations are nice, the lobby is stunning and always kept clean and the overall service was great! The entertainment staff was the best! They always had something fun and entertaining for us to do during the day and took us to the best night clubs and making sure we had the best service at the clubs. BIG THANKS to Paco, Carlos, Rocio and Jonathan for making our trip wonderful! If it wasn’t for them our trip during Spring Break wouldn’t have been the same. They worked really hard to make sure we were all taken care of and they always made us feel welcome during our stay. Also, the bartenders were fun, always smiling, and pleasurable. The Italian restaurant was delicious! The food in the buffet wasn’t bad either. I am planning a trip to come back in the summer and we will be staying at this resort! This resort is affordable, always clean, the beach is gorgeous, and Paco and his staff do a wonderful job. I wouldn’t want to stay anywhere else! Thanks again for an amazing spring break!!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Victoria, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2012

I just returned from this resort on April 21 after a 7 day stay with my 22 year old daughter. I read lots of reviews before booking and I would say that the majority of reviews are accurate. Overall we had a fabulous stay and I can highly recommend this resort.

On the pro side, it was the most immaculate hotel I have ever stayed at. There was always someone cleaning. There was even staff cleaning the stair wells and the elevators.

The staff are exceptional. The front desk clerks can be a bit aloof but if you have any issues ask for Edgar, he goes above and beyond with a big smile. Every staff member greets you with a smile, and asks how you are enjoying your stay. In the restaurant they will get you anything if it is within their power to do so. They open doors and carry your plates to the table (not every time of course, but they try).

I loved that there was good music at the lower pool and then light music at the higher level pool and no music on the beach. When I am on the beach I like to just hear the roar of the ocean.

The maid always left us 4 bottles of water and the water at the restaurant tasted fine too.

Our beds had pillow tops and so were more comfortable than our beds at home. The decor was old but we spent so little time in the room it didn't matter. We had a balcony but it faced the Westin parking lot and so we didn't use it. I checked into upgrading to a Presidential suite that have new furnishings, huge decks, a Jacuzzi tub on the deck and either a view of the lagoon or the ocean. Very nice rooms but because we couldn't see ourselves in the room that much, it wasn't going to be worth it for us, but would be perfect for a family or for a couple.

We absolutely LOVED the Italian restaurant. I didn't see a limit and so we ate there 6 out of the 7 nights. That was a highlight for me as the service was impeccable and the food was fabulous, the drinks were a much higher quality than the regular bar. It was like being in a 5 star restaurant without being given a bill at the end of the night. But of course we tipped well. No one expects it, and they treat you well whether you tip or not, but they work 12 hours a day, 6 days a week and minimum wage in Mexico is 52 pesos PER DAY day that is equivalent to $4.50 per day, not per hour. We always tip in Mexico, even at the all inclusives. Everyone sure appreciates it. Remember to leave money on the bed for the maid!

The location was great. Loved being across from the mall. They do have a 24 hour store within the hotel which was very handy, but the prices are high, so it was helpful to be able to go across the street to the store in the daytime.

We went with a group from the hotel to Coco Bongo as it is more like a Vegas show than it is a club. I absolutely LOVED it, so did my daughter and the people we went with. I would suggest going on a week night, slightly less crowded and less expensive. $55. US got us transportation there, immediate entrance (skipped the line up) reserved section, and open bar (as if we need more to drink after a day at an AI, but you do get thirsty).

On the con side. it is an older property and there isn't much sound proofing. We were in a one bedroom and even though we didn't need all the space, I was very happy because the noise from the hallway went into our living room rather than our bedroom, so it was quiet when we went to bed.

I did not like that they used Styrofoam cups and plates, which are so horrible for our environment. No recycling of plastic bottles either. We did take our own insulated cups and that is a great idea. You reduce the waste you personally produce and your drink stays colder longer.

I liked most of the buffet food but as others have said, they really have a hard time keeping all the food hot, I would have been happy with very warm, but sometimes it was barely tepid. But that wasn't true of every dish all the time and so it isn't a complaint just a mention so you know what to expect. And for breakfast you could always get a freshly made omelette to your liking.

I really wish that they supplied free WiFi in the lobby. It is hard to check on flights or investigate different excursions without easy access to the internet. Also, there was no easy way for my family at home to reach us if needed. They also charge for the gym, but I feel $5.00 per time is reasonable and with equipment maintenance that makes sense to me.

The only other disappointing part for us is that we couldn't communicate with the majority of the hotel guests. 80% were from Brazil and although they were super friendly and nice, they didn't know English and we certainly didn't know Portuguese.

Side note: we prebooked our transportation on line with cancunway.com for 50 US round trip and we were thrilled with the service. We were met at the airport, someone was there holding up a sign with our name on it. The ride was an escalade and then they were there on time to take us back to the airport. AND when they say you need to be there two hours in advance, they mean it. We waited in a Westjet line up for 90 minutes waiting to get checked in.

Room Tip: To get a quiet room get a one bedroom.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank VictoriaTraveller15
Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2012

My fiance and I just got back from Park Royal after a 7 day vacation. This is the 2nd time we have visited this hotel and we both agree it is AMAZING. The staff is the best part of the hotel. Everyone is so friendly and helpful. This is the best place for all-inclusive, it has an amazing beach and great activities. The location is perfect because it is across the street from La Isla Shopping Center and only minutes from downtown. I have been to Cancun 7 times and this hotel is the only one I will go to again. If you are going to Cancun you MUST stay here.

Also make sure to go to the activities they have planned throughout the day. The activities staff is awesome. John, Rocco, Carlos and the rest of the activity planners are soo much fun.

Room Tip: If you can afford the upgrade try to get a room with a balcony that has a hottub on it.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Sean K
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2012

All inclusive is the only way to go in Cancun. While the hotel may not be the prettiest building in the area, it's staff and amenities make up for it.

We had a wonderful stay.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2012

We stayed here for a week in March during spring break. It was our third time coming for spring break and we would not have it any other way! The accommodations are nice, the lobby is beautiful and the service is great! We continue to come back to the resort every year because the staff is genuine and always makes sure we are well taken care of. The entertainment staff kept us entertained throughout the day, and took us to the best clubs at night! They all worked really hard to ensure the best quality service to everyone. A big thanks to Rocio, Jonathan, Carlos and Paco for taking great care of us and making us feel welcome during our stay! We will be planning another trip back in the near future.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends