“Excellent Resort!!! Great Service!!!” 5 of 5 bubbles

CasaMagna Marriott Cancun Resort
Ranked #15 of 181 Hotels in Cancun
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Chicago, IL
“Excellent Resort!!! Great Service!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2005

My husband and I honeymooned at the CasaMagna and loved it from beginning to end. Our standard King size room was upgraded to a honeymoon suite with an ocean view at no additional charge and it was absolutely beautiful. The service overall was excellent and the food on the resort was great, especially LaCapilla Steakhouse and Champions! The staff was extremely friendly and helpful, but many wanted a tip, which was o.k. Our room was always cleaned, sometimes even twice a day, and room service was quick. They also offer currency exchange at a reasonable rate. The resort was wonderful and we would visit again. As for Cancun, the price of water is ridiculously high, so always ask before purchasing. We went to a restaurant, Beef Eaters, and was charged $13.80 for a bottle of water. The Entertainment Card (or E-Card) we purchased online helped offset the costs at many restaurants, so it's to your advantage to purchase one before you go. It's $15 and allows you many discounts at restaurants and on tours/activities. Also, many people work on commission, so expect to be hounded by time share workers and other vendors if you venture off the resort. And there are buses that run pretty often to take you to shopping and other places of attraction, but the drivers drive really fast and crazy, but at $0.65 it beats taking a $10.00 taxi. ENJOY!!!

8 Thank imani99

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (912)
  • Hebrew first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2005

my friends and I stayed there 7 nights and we loved it. The staff is friendly and great. Overall the hotel is clean and you feel save. It was a great experience.

• Stayed June 2005
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Silver Spring, MD
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2005

Just returned from a 5-night stay (Aug 13th-18th) with my wife and two boys (11 and 8) Had the "stay four nights, get the 5th free" rate of $199/night. Breakfast for all of us was included.

I would definitely recommend this hotel. The kids had a blast. All the beds were being replaced when we checked out, so I cannot comment on how they will feel. I saw lots of reports that said they were too hard. I wish. Our bed was not hard enough.

Pool was perfect. Beach was wonderful. At this time of year, you could get to the beach/pool by 8:30 and still reserve your spot under an umbrella.

Instead of taking the long bus ride to WalMart to pick up water and soda, just go across the street. Next to Beef Eaters is a small liquor store. Bottles of soda and 1 litre bottles of water were $11 pesos (~$1.10). At the hotel, soda is $2.50-3.00 and bottled water by the pool runs $6+. Your best water deal is Bonafont. That brand was located in the last cooler on the right. Evian, AquaFina and others were 3-5x more expensive. If you don't pick up an ice chest, just take the ice bucket from the room, filled it with ice from the hotel, and bring it out to the beach.

If you ever get board of the CasaMagna pool, you could go over to the JW. To get towels, just have your kid go up and ask for them. When he is asked for a room number, have your kid say, "I don't know". This worked for another family. Otherwise, just go up a floor in the hotel, see what the room numbers are and give that room number. While the JW pool looked neat, one of my kids said, "It is awfully quiet at the pool." Nuff said.

One of the days, we went down to the Westin and used their pool in the afternoon since we were there in the morning snorkling. The Westin is at the end of hotel row right next to Club Med. We rented snorkling equipment at the Westin and walked over to the reef at Club Med. I think the equipment cost $6/pp for 2 hours or $10/pp for all day. Life jackets were another $5/pp. All beaches are public, so we walked the beach to Club Med and had a great time. No one was out there and we saw lots of different fish. This is definitely the cheaper alternative than those "snorkling tours." The guy who rented us the equipment laughed when he said, "You are doing it the best way. Others pay $50/pp to go out to a reef for an hour." One warning: Club Med allows topless bathing. I don't think my 11 year old noticed.

If you want to do one of the activities the hotel sets up by the pool, make sure you sign up. I came in second place in the beer drinking contest. Kids had fun at the Learn to Cook events.

The rooms were just the right size. We had room 5002 and we did not upgrade. My wife and I slept on one bed, one kid in the other bed, the other kid on the floor. We used both comforters as his "mattress". Balcony was plenty big enough. Had two chairs and a table and there was still room. I'm not sure what a couple of other posters were talking about when they said it was very small. All four of us would go out on the balcony and we had plenty of room.

One night, we just watched a movie (Hitch - I would recommend it) and ordered a pizza from room service. The pizza was great (surprised us) and was not expensive at all.

The breakfast buffet, if you paid, was $20/adult and $5/child. There was a lot there, but I do not know if you would do better elsewhere. They had a lot of choices. The only other time we ate at the hotel was at the pool - twice. I'm sure if you are from someplace in middle America it is expensive, but from where I'm from, the prices for the food at the pool was not too bad.

Definitely get the E-plus card from Brant. We used it three times and saved a bundle. Also, when you get off the plane, pick up one of the yellow packets handed out at the airport. There are lots of coupons inside for other restaurants. Also used Brant for our transportation from the airport. For four of us, the total round trip cost was $65. Even though our plane was an hour late, our driver was there. If you go this route, look for the drivers outside the airport. Inside are all the time-share hucksters posing as legit people.

If you get any special rate, please make sure your bill is correct. Four out of the five breakfasts, we had to tell the waiter to take back the bill because breakfast was included. Also, we had five nights charged to our hotel bill. They corrected it, but we should not have had to tell them that.

Please e-mail me if you want any further info.

14 Thank terps1962
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2005

talk about paradise, me and my friend both of us women age, 25 went and had the best time of our lives.. The is hotel is beautiful, perfect, the people who work there are so nice and friendly at all times!! We got to check in a lot earlier than its usually posted, and it was no problems, the rooms were beatiful, with marble floors, really comfortable beds, the best pillows EVER, nice shower/bath. NOW the beach is the best thing you will ever see, CRYSTAL BLUE water, sand like powder, they deliever food to you right on the beach, the water is expensive, but you have to get it, so just plan on some extra money for that. IT was extremely hot and humid but you will feel very tropical! The pool was nice but very warm, you will probably prefer the ocean. I see people have posted the city is ghetto or whatever, but I believe this is very shocking to hear...I have traveled a lot and felt safe the whole time. Even as two women and I think its a little snobbish to act as if you are educated but find mexico culutre like the ghetto, this is ridiculous. I have seen a lot worse places in the usa. Just had to be said, also the hotel is near a really nice mall, La Isla! you can take the bus anywhere for 1.00, and it run all the time. and its SAFE!!!!!!!!!!!!! Have fun forget about your trouble and relax, I am planning on going back with my mother and staying in the same hotel!!

8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2005

My friend and I traveled to Cancun from 8/13-8/19. As all have said, the staff is extremely accommodating and friendly. The water is gorgeous and so on. I have traveled to Cancun several times since 1992 and have stayed at the Melia Cancun (next door), Melia Turquesa, Royal Sands, all the Royals (time shares). Casa Magna surpassed the Melias and was almost equal to the Royals (Sands, Islander, Carribean). We are around 50 (energetic, not lethargic), so we did some tours as well as relaxed on the beach.
Here are some pointers...

Rooms: the mattresses were arriving during our stay! We had no problems with our beds on the 6th floor - not hard for us. If you travel soon, ask for a room with the new mattresses... we saw them lined up on the 5th floor. Not sure if they already completed our floor (6th) or we just did not mind the beds.

Service: The staff couldn't do enough for you! We stayed in 6008 - opposite side of the pool. Lenner was our maid - wrote notes back and drew pictures on the note. Front desk was esp. helpful when I had questions (Cristina was the best, gracious and a lovely young lady who would do anything for you. She helped me with a phone call to confirm my flight when the phone card was giving me problems - she actually made the call from the desk for us)!
Doormen are great - Jorge, Eleazar (Eli) - they can't do enough for you!

Food: We did not eat at the hotel (except for the downstairs store where we purchased coffee, pastries, etc.). Knowing Cancun well, we ventured out and ate at some of the 2X1 (Brant's ecard was great)! Beefeaters was good -we ate MahiMahi - delicious fish! We ate at La Isla Mall(Come n Eat food court since we wanted something inexpensive and quick). Next time, we will try the Mexican restaurant at La Isla (Casa Margaritas- looks authentic)! Food is generally expensive but stay with seafood - delicious and less pricey).

Pool: Too small for what I like - kids splashing around. If you go in the AM (9-11) it wasn't bad. Chairs were plentiful and few were saved prior to 11am).

Ocean: Gorgeous! Palapas were always availabe prior to 11am, not sure about afternoon, as we stay out until 1:00 or so. Watch the rocks - go toward JW slightly and you will be fine. There was repair going on (hut on beach, remodeling near the pool area). Just stay further away if the hammering gets to you. By now, the hut on the beach should be just about completed.

Transportation: 70 pesos (70 cents) each way as has been indicated on the reviews. Always an experience, but was dropped off wherever we said. After all these years of traveling to Cancun, we just found out there is an airconditioned bus (blue, it says "Bus One", not R-1which does take you anywhere). They do appear new, so maybe they were not around a few years ago. It costs 11 pesos (about a dollar). Yes, the driver has change for your pesos. They do not take US dollars. Believe me, with the extreme heat, it is worth the 11 pesos! (As I get older, I am less tolerant of the heat)!

I would go back in a heartbeat - just the pool size and the close quarters there bothered me. (By the way, I am fussy, so if this was the only negative, the pool size, kids playing, so you could not do laps, then you will be fine).

We also checked other hotels there ( Hilton, would not stay there, unless you got a villa). JW Marriott, like the other reviews, stuffy, uppity, etc. They do have a great pool area, though! Fiesta Americana Condesa - nice!

Just an aside..when requesting a room, ask for the side that faces either the JW or the Melia Cancun. You will not be disappointed! We had the view of the lagoon and ocean, and no loud voices from the pool! We had the 3rd floor pool/ocean the first night. We asked to move and it was no problem. The 6th floor was quieter and farther away from the lobby. The room controller was wonderful (can't remember her name)!

I do believe it was less crowded due to families returning for the start of school. I understand several states start school in mid-Aug. not like NJ which is early Sept. So, if you are traveling now, you might be in luck!

I can't wait to return to Cancun... if I do not stay at the Royal Sands (loved that place), then we will return to Casa Magna or may try the Fiesta Amer. Condesa (larger, spacious pool area), just because I like to try different hotels.

I wanted to provide you with some details which I hope is helpful - the reviews were helpful to me! Enjoy your stay!

• 4 of 5 bubbles
15 Thank lmg56
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2005

The CasaMagna Marriott was everything we could hope for. The room was very spacious and spotless, the bathroom was roomy and all marble, the beds were very comfortable, regardless from what everbody else said about them being hard. We did the all inclusive package which I recommend. This includes 3 meals a day and all premium drinks including frozen drinks. The staff was excellent and very friendly, they couldn't do enough to make your stay a memorible one. I highly recommend this hotel, it was everything we could hope for and more. This hotel made our family vacation a very memorible one.

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2005

Our family of 5 just returned from staying at the Casa Magna from Aug.8-15th. Kids are 17,12 and 10. Many positives and some negatives. The hotel is beautiful, rooms are decent sized, squeaky clean and the service was impeccable. The beach is the best I've seen and the water was clear as can be. You need to get up early to get your shade(trees). The pool is medium sized with voleyball which was also on the beach. You can share next doors JW Martiott. Many people trying to sell things on the beach as well as jet skis, para-sailing and boogey boards available. Food is overpriced no matter where you go. Water and soda $2.50 per can/bottle. Fruit drinks at $7.50. You are better off buying these at a local market and bringing to the pool or beach. Bagels or croissants were $3.50 at the hotel deli or all you can eat breakfast at $20 per person each day. Your choice. Champions grill was OK and across the street La Dolce Vita was excellent. Short public bus ride into town was .60 one way and an experience not to be missed.
The biggest complaint we had was the noise. The pool bar, one large room in the lobby and a deck on the beach all were being redone at the same time. Constant banging most hours of the day. Next time, go a different time(Very HOT) and do an all inclusive at a more elaborate place because there are so many choices.

Stayed August 2005