“great food and family resort”

Marriott Cancun Resort
Ranked #14 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed August 12, 2009

just returned from a 6 day trip to Cancun at the CasaMagna. We travelled with our two eight year old kids. We used Marriott points to purchase the "all inclusive" (AI) option.
We had a 2-bed queen "gardenview" room on the 4th floor. Because we were on the 4th floor, we had a full view of the bayside ocean, which also meant having a great sunset. The room was kept very clean. It was a bit small for 4 people, but we didn't spend much time in the room anyways. The beds are not queen, but full-size which means they are a bit small for two adults.

We tried all the restaurants and all were excellent. La Capilla was excellent for both dinner and the breakfast buffet. The food at the pool/beach was also very good. Better than I had expected. The Thai restaurant was very good, and has a great sunset view if you go at the right time.

The kids enjoyed the kids camp, which is free with the AI option. But still a good deal at $35 per day.

The fitness center is pretty good for a hotel, and also a good way to escape the afternoon heat. I had a massage at the spa, which was also very good. The spa treatments were reasonably priced, and the AI option provided an additional 20% discount at the spa.

In general, the hotel was quiet, being their off-peak period. There was a daily happy hour from 3-5pm, which really just meant well-drinks for 77 pesos. There was always music at the pool, mostly adult contemporary, and not played too loud. At night, they had a local mexican band in the lounge area, performing spanish serenade-style music. They were good but it got tiring to listen to them after 3 days in a row of them performing.

as others have mentioned, there are some challenges with the AI option when ordering. At most restaurants, steak filets and lobster are $10 extra. For drinks, most Mexican beer, well-drinks, and house wine is included. However, you can upgrade your drink and charge it to your hotel. The drinks that this hotel were expensive so I think the AI option is worth it if you plan to hang around the hotel during the day. For exmaple, $7 for beer, $8 for well-drink, and $4 for a large bottled water. If you are planning to spend the day at the pool, expect to spend $150 on drinks per couple.

the waitstaff at the restaurants and pool bar were very friendly, especially Victor and Isabel at the pool bar.

the only negative comments that I have are:
-depending on the person who was at the concierge desk, you might not get any useful answers to your questions. Some were better than others.
-there was some maintenance work during the day which meant some noise and dust. The elevators were being serviced throughout the week that we were there which meant occasionally using the stairs or service elevator.
-they could use a few more umbrellas at the pool for shade
- more organized activities in the pool/beach area

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
4  Thank SteveP22

Reviewed August 11, 2009

My husband and I traveled to the Casa Magna Hotel for our daughter's wedding in May 18-25, 2009. We reserved multiple rooms in a group of 39. Our room was a standard on the ground level in a courtyard area and it was very clean and beautiful with marble and tiles everywhere. The bathrooms were adequate size and the bed was very comfortable. The hotel had complimentary breakfast daily and all our event rehearsal dinner, wedding reception and a Welcome to Mexico cocktail party was on the property. There were 4 weddings on that weekend. The rooms on upper floors had similar comfort and room amenities. But the mini suite the bride and groom stayed in was beautiful with views in 3 directions of property, ocean, and beach. They had 3 interior rooms and a patio overlooking the pool for sitting or sunbathing.
The weather was sunny and warm except for one night. The hotel staff was friendly and helpful as the hotel was only 10% full on Monday through Thursday and after the wedding parties started to arrive 50% capacity due to the swine flu scare. We had the pool to ourselves for most of the week. The sad part was that between the Casa Magna and the JW Marriott next door half of the restaurants were closed due to the lack of guests. We ate all our meals at the Casa Magna or JW Marriott except 3 on tours of Chichenitza and the shopping strip. We bought cases of champagne at the local Sam's Club at 1/3 the hotel rate for the bottles. The whole property had live music and bands most nights due to the 4 wedding celebrations and canned around the pool. It was never a noisy issue or were we crowded. There were always beach chairs available in the daytime and they kept raking the sand on the beach to cover rocks. There were rocks just off shore on our beach and no vendors came up on the property to sell their wares. It was an excellent experience and we would go again.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank readerlady
Reviewed August 5, 2009

Just returned from a 5 day stay at the Marriott Casamagna resort in Cancun. We booked hotel ground transportation through prestige and had it billed to our room which was nice, now to the hotel.
We arrived at the hotel and were not helped with our bags from outside the hotel. No one to greet us to tell us where to go for check in, etc. Not a big deal as the check in is right to the left when you walk in, but still would have been nice. When we went to the desk and checked in, I was told that the only room available for my rate was a king bed on the first floor overlooking the garden or I could purchase an upgrade to an oceanfront room for 50.00 per night. I decided to give the garden room a try, or so I thought. I cant really comment on that garden room, because when I put my key in the door someone was in there getting all showered up watching tv. So after that little uncomfortable intrusion, I went back to the desk, told them that there was someone in the room and they looked at me like I was speaking in tongues. They said that is impossible, then they grabbed some sheet and said that it was a cleaning error. Seems like it should be a reservation error not the cleaning person. They should have the length of stay in the system right? Anyways after speaking to two different people I was upgraded to a partial ocean view room for free. (REMEMBER "PARTIAL OCEAN VIEW", IT WILL SAVE YOU MONEY) We were given room 4044 and sent on our way. After arriving to our room, we opened the door and BAM the ocean is right there, we were dead smack in the middle of the hotel with a completely unobstructed view of the ocean. Not sure how this constitutes partial ocean view, but hey it was nice to have a nice view. The rates vary on the website, so pick wisely when it comes to room with a view no need to pay more unless you're getting a suite.

ROOM- The view was great. Waking up the ocean and sunrise every morning was nice. The detail in the room was mediocre. LCD TV, Couch that doubled as a sofa bed, coffee table, dining table with two chairs, balcony with chairs and table, King Bed...the typical stuff. The bathrooms seemed kinda grimey. The showers and bathtubs looks like they were just done to get it done rather than to make it look nice. The walls are paper thin and the neighbors we had were up at 6 am every morning talking as loud as could be. Not really much the staff can do but still a courtesy call to the neighbors would have been nice of them.

ENTERTAINMENT- Casamagna is definitely busier and lively than the JW. The lobby bar has a live band every night except Sunday I believe. And bartenders from mid afternoon to late evening. On site is AquaWorld station where you can plan trips (recommend snorkeling which is a great deal), Rent floats, volleyballs. The pool was busy but not crowded. Never had a problem getting a chair at the pool. The beach was great, only a couple people down there at any given time. Plenty of chairs and the rocks are only at one part, so if you stay to the right or left of the hotel your good to go and its a nice break from the 85 degree pool. Watch out for the metal iron thing sticking out of the ocean by the far right where the boueys are, that could do some damage.

FOOD- We'll thats a complex situation. We at at Simply Seafood in JW Marriott, La Capilla, Mikado in Casamagna. The restaurants were very empty, probably only 8 people in Simply Seafood, fish was overcooked but not horrible. Mikado was best dinner we had there, but sort of strange they do not take any consideration on seating you with same language patrons around the hibachi tables. We were seated with a group of mexicans, which was totally fine, but the waiter and chef had to repeat himself two times in order to interact and take our orders. Finally, LaCapilla was subpar for being a steakhouse. The decor is great, but the cut of meat I got was rather tough and my girlfriend's ravioli dish was undercooked. HINT Go to the concierge and get 15% discount coupons for dinners at the resorts hotels and have them schedule reservations.

Overall, things were not that bad. I mean the ocean is right there, it was sunny and warm every day and most importantly a vacation. They did remedy the situation as far as putting me a room with someone already occupying it, but they really didnt seem like they cared too much. Also you can bill everything to your room which is a gift and a curse, someone had used the JW business center and put my room on it so I had to explain that I did not use this service and they removed the charges. The pool staff was great and waitstaff very attentive. Not having the all-inclusive was not so bad, spent only a few hundred dollars on food and drinks at the hotel over the course of 5 days, wouldn't spend the money to get AI at this resort as they limit the brands of drinks and menu options you can choose from.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank hustedms
Reviewed August 1, 2009

Our stay included breakfast which was open till 11 which was great. Service was fantastic, the rooms were clean and comfortable. The beach in front on the hotel was rocky, so it wasn't safe to swim, but the beach next door in front of the JW was fine. We used all the pools at both hotels which was nice to be able to use the facilities at both hotels. There is a Mcdonalds across the street and Papa Johns and 7 eleven, so you didn't have to eat at the hotel if you didn't want to. Plenty of restaurants nearby as well, and the bus is only 75 pesos, which is less than 1 dollar and runs every few minutes, and is very safe.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank shochberg
Reviewed July 25, 2009

This hotel was great! The rooms were clean. No words can describe how great the staff was. They were just the best. They were so friendly, and were there anytime you needed them for anything. For example, when we booked a vacation package with Orbitz we were supposed to get breakfast included. I kind of had a feeling (after reading things about orbitz) that it wouldn't be included somehow. I asked when we were checking in, and although Orbitz did not include it the front deskman added it to the room without any kind of hassle. The bellhop (younger one that I can't remember his name) was awesome and seemed to be willing to do more than his job. The hotel itself was beautiful. This is truly a gem because it is not so close and crowded like the hotels more towards downtown but it only takes a minute or two to get there. It is just such a relaxing atmosphere. We visited the spa and had a foot massage. It was sooo relaxing and it seemed like the spa staff went the extra mile as well. It was a great deal. It was cheaper than most hotels in the States but 10000X the quality. It was just GREAT! The only thing I would add was a business center with some internet access, or just free internet access (I know you can get it for a fee). The breakfast buffett at Champs was okay. I guess it just depends on what you get. I think if it isn't included then I would have probably skipped it (as the bill was supposed $40 for two people). However, they had a very LARGE selection. The room service was also great, courteous, on time, and even did follow up calls. Overall this hotel was just AWESOME.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank svleah06
Reviewed July 24, 2009

Just returned home from the wonderful Casa Magna, traveled with wife, 3 children over 20 and son's best friend. All I have to say is "PERFECT"...!!! I travel extensively throughout the Caribbean, this was one of the best hotels I have ever stayed at, I have nothing negative to say at all. We celebrated my birthday while on our vacation, which was wonderful and really but the trip at a "10"...!!

We used Marriott points for (2) Ocean front rooms and also used points for the All-Inclusive package, this was definitley the way to go, for 70,000 points you receive an all-inclusive package for 2 adults and 2 children (under 12) if you need to pay cash it comes to $75 / day + tax, I have to say, after we left, they might increase their prices, we took full advantage, it was great. The restaurants were wonderful, with the exception of the Thai restaurant, my family and I are just not Thai people.

A lot of reviews have stated that the beach is not nice and very shallow, it is perfectly fine, actually, where the Marriott is located is actually quite deep, there are a few rocks to contend with when entering the water, which is a clear blue / green color, just perfect.

To quickly sum up, this hotel is great, we had a wonderful vacation, perfect weather, great food, great people, etc...!!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank Titleistpro
Reviewed July 14, 2009

Me and my girlfriends had a great time here in 2008 for summer break. The food and sevice was fantastic and the beach is beautiful. I would go back for sure.

Stayed: July 2008, traveled with friends