just returned from a 6 day trip to Cancun at the CasaMagna. We travelled with our two eight year old kids. We used Marriott points to purchase the "all inclusive" (AI) option.
We had a 2-bed queen "gardenview" room on the 4th floor. Because we were on the 4th floor, we had a full view of the bayside ocean, which also meant having a great sunset. The room was kept very clean. It was a bit small for 4 people, but we didn't spend much time in the room anyways. The beds are not queen, but full-size which means they are a bit small for two adults.
We tried all the restaurants and all were excellent. La Capilla was excellent for both dinner and the breakfast buffet. The food at the pool/beach was also very good. Better than I had expected. The Thai restaurant was very good, and has a great sunset view if you go at the right time.
The kids enjoyed the kids camp, which is free with the AI option. But still a good deal at $35 per day.
The fitness center is pretty good for a hotel, and also a good way to escape the afternoon heat. I had a massage at the spa, which was also very good. The spa treatments were reasonably priced, and the AI option provided an additional 20% discount at the spa.
In general, the hotel was quiet, being their off-peak period. There was a daily happy hour from 3-5pm, which really just meant well-drinks for 77 pesos. There was always music at the pool, mostly adult contemporary, and not played too loud. At night, they had a local mexican band in the lounge area, performing spanish serenade-style music. They were good but it got tiring to listen to them after 3 days in a row of them performing.
as others have mentioned, there are some challenges with the AI option when ordering. At most restaurants, steak filets and lobster are $10 extra. For drinks, most Mexican beer, well-drinks, and house wine is included. However, you can upgrade your drink and charge it to your hotel. The drinks that this hotel were expensive so I think the AI option is worth it if you plan to hang around the hotel during the day. For exmaple, $7 for beer, $8 for well-drink, and $4 for a large bottled water. If you are planning to spend the day at the pool, expect to spend $150 on drinks per couple.
the waitstaff at the restaurants and pool bar were very friendly, especially Victor and Isabel at the pool bar.
the only negative comments that I have are:
-depending on the person who was at the concierge desk, you might not get any useful answers to your questions. Some were better than others.
-there was some maintenance work during the day which meant some noise and dust. The elevators were being serviced throughout the week that we were there which meant occasionally using the stairs or service elevator.
-they could use a few more umbrellas at the pool for shade
- more organized activities in the pool/beach area
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Discover Paradise. Powder soft sand and sparkling turquoise seas beckon travelers to the heart of the Mexican Caribbean and Marriott’s CasaMagna Cancun Resort. A legendary locale perfectly matched with Marriott’s commitment to service satisfies adventurous souls seeking to explore ruins or searching for serenity in the shadows of an ancient empire. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Marriott, Booking.com, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Agoda, TravelUp, Cheap Tickets, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd and getaroom.com so you can book your Marriott Cancun Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Marriott Casamagna Cancun Hotel Cancun
- Marriott Cancun
- Cancun Marriott