“Marriott is great, especially for kids!”

Marriott Cancun Resort
Ranked #14 of 176 Hotels in Cancun
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed June 11, 2005

Casa Magna is awesome! I stay at Marriott hotels all over North America and this one is by far the nicest and most friendly. The staff was great, even to our kids (6yrs/8yrs). They also did a great job handling the "Summer Break" crowd. The pool side bar was perfect and they even made kid friendly cocktails. Word of advice- it was much cheaper for us to rent a small car (they have car rental in the lobby, you pay a bit more but the quality of the car is better) and drive to places like Tulum and Xcaret than to take the over priced bus provided by most of the tour operators. We saved $100 American on the Xcaret trip alone. Plus, on the way there and back, we saw travelers stranded on the side of the road because their tour bus broke down...did not look fun! You can walk up to these places and pay rather than go through a local agent. Wal-Mart is rougly 10 KM away from the hotel...a must when traveling with kids...products and prices similar to the US. We enjoyed shopping in Playa Del Carmen much more than Cancun, the vendors were not nearly as pushy. The Captain Hook Pirate Ship and dinner cruise was a blast for the kids!

This was a great vacation!

• Stayed: June 2005
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
There are newer reviews for Marriott Cancun Resort

Reviewed June 7, 2005

Just return and loved our hotel. We upgraded to a suite, but my brother had a "normal" oceanview room and loved it also. They replaced all of the pool chairs during our stay and so they are now like the mesh covered ones on the beach. We ate at the hotel's Steak House, Japanese restaurant, Champions and Capilla's for breakfast. Food was all of good quality. No problem with drinking the water at meals. We did rent a refrigerator for $5 day and bought juice, beer etc. to take to the beach in our small cooler. That saved a lot of money - but we still made a point to purchase something from the waitstaff at the pool/beach each day also. We had massages at the JW Marriott and highly recommend Kristina. The Myan massage was great. When you book a treatment you have use of all of the spa facilities for the day - so plan on using them, steam room, suana, whirlpools, exercise room, etc. We had no problem getting chairs at the pool or beach. Although we were up early - it did not seem to get crowded until around 11 AM.

Staff at the hotel was great - David one of the doormen, our maid, etc. We did tip $3-$4/day to the maid and our room was always spotless and cleaned early. Nightly turndown was also completed. Don't forget your coupon book at the airport, there were coupons for 10-20% all of the restaurants at the hotel and those accross the street as well.

• Stayed: June 2005
9  Thank lynne214
Houston, TX
Reviewed June 6, 2005

My husband and 7 month old daughter just spent 6 days here and loved it! The hotel was very clean and the staff was wonderful and attentive! They were also completely knowledgable on all that the area had to offer.
I would recommend doign the all inclusinve plan though, the hotel drinks were expensive and each time you ordered there was a service charged tacked on. Restuarants were good. We would totally go back.

12  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
CHRISTIANA,TN
Reviewed June 5, 2005

We returned from Cancun on May 24th and it was awesome. The Marriott Casamagna is the finest hotel that I have every stayed at. The staff are wonderful they will help you out anyway they can. I felt like royalty! The staff were constantly cleaning everything. The beach was very clean hardly no rocks, beautiful sand. The rooms were great I would definantely recommend getting an oceanview. Wonderful views! Me and my fiance give this 4 stars. Our housekeeper Pierre was great. He would always make things with the towels(like swans, fans, etc) pretty neat. Overall excellent,excellent,excellent place. Two thumbs way up!!!!!!!

8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Boston, Mass.
Reviewed June 1, 2005

I have to say that I was so touched by the service, splendor and scene of Marriott Casa Magna Resort. I was there May 22. I loved our advisor Oscar who helped us plan activities and the daily events that were scheduled. We went off to explore the shops and restaurants and loved the sushi bar Mikado and the Crab House Caribe across the street. The room was great and so was the view. Our housekeeper left notes for us saying how nice it is to have us as guests. When we left, the guys at the door and the desk service really did not want us to go. The pool was great, the jacuzzi always hot and the drinks at the pool bar fantastic. This place is a gem. I went with my best friend and will definitely come back again.

13  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 30, 2005

I've just returned from paradise and I can't stop daydreamining. Where do I start? Okay, here's the rundown.
Pre-vacation MUST DO's:
* Buy Brant's E-Card: this saved us tons of money. There were four of us so we used two cards. All of the restaurants we ate at were great especially La Capilla and Champions (both in the hotel) and Iguana Wana. We also used the card for the breakfast buffet at La Capilla. It was $18 per person so with the card it comes out to $9 a person.
* After you order the E-Card you should definately book transportation from and to the airport. It was nice to have an air conditioned van waiting for us as soon as we stepped out of the airport. It was cheaper than getting a cab and comparable to getting on a bus with guests from several other hotels.
* If you plan on doing any tours you should also book these on Brant's website. We did the Jungle Tour, Horseback Riding, and the private Chichen Itza tour.

Okay, here's my take on the tours.
Jungle Tour - This was great because the company that Brant uses is located right across from the hotel so you can just walk over. The ride was fun and the snorkeling was incredible. They give you all the equipment you need (mouthpieces come individually wrapped in plastic covers) and water after the snorkeling. Just make sure to put on sunblock (two of us forgot and paid for it, royally). On the way back our guide led us through a really secluded jungle area that was narrow and a bit hard to navigate but fun. I highly recommend this.

Horseback Riding - This may not be for everyone. It's just a trail ride with a short segment of galloping (voluntary) and swimming. However, they discourage you from galloping if you don't have prior experience. Swimming with the horses was probably the highlight of this trip. You sit on the horses bareback (uncomfortable) and then you ride the horses through the water (about waist high). Sometimes, it's hard to stay on the horses and you might fall off (like my friend). One thing that was scary was that the horses get hot and have a tendency to lie down on the sand while you're still on it! You have to jump off when you feel the horse going down. It only happened to two people in our group but the whole time I was on the sand I was praying for my horse to stay cool. When you get back there is food and a swimming pool.

Chichen Itza - Everyone should do this. We opted for the private tour and it was fantastic. If you have four or more in your group this is the way to go! Our guide/driver (Fernando) was so sweet and very informative. Our van was air conditioned and had a DVD player. He played current movies and a short film about Chichen Itza so that we would not have to use a guide. After visiting the ruins we stopped by a cenote (beautiful but kinda scary because it looks like a big well in the ground) for a quick dip and lunch. I didn't expect such a great lunch but it was very yummy. It's a buffet style in a fancy looking hall. The bathrooms there were also immaculate. Fernando then took us through some traditional towns giving us a lesson on Mayan/Mexican culture. We stopped by a town centre for a bit of shopping. It is a very long drive (2.5 hours) and I could not imagine doing it on a tour bus with 50 other people. The ride was very comfortable and fly by because of the movies. If this is affordable, I highly recommend this.

We also did a zip line tour with alltournative tours (alltournative.com). This was great. We did 3 different zip lines, went bike riding, sat through a mayan ceremony, went tubing on a cenote, did some cave snorkeling, and had a delicious lunch. This tour is not as hard as it sounds. The zip lines were a lot of fun and our guide (Mario) was excellent. Everybody should do at least one tour from this company before they leave.

Transportation: You should take the bus whenever you can, it is definately an adventure. It's a lot cheaper than taking a cab, although we did give in to our laziness a few times. The bus works the same way as a cab. You can hail them at any point on the main road, they'll stop anywhere.

Hotel:
We had a garden view room but upgraded to an ocean view. It was definately worth the extra $30 a night. We were willing to get an ocean front but the front desk suggested getting an ocean view (which is a bit cheaper) because the view is just as good. The view from our room was breathtaking. Every morning I would wake up and step out onto the balcony amazed at the blueness of the ocean. It was something I could not get used and was stunned everytime I saw the water. Our room was decorated nicely and was very comfortable. The beds were a bit hard but we were so tired every night we hardly noticed. Magdalena made us animals with our towels which was very sweet and the room was always pristine after she serviced it. We tipped her a few dollars every night but you must write a note addressed to her, otherwise she won't take it. The pool, beachfront, lobby, and everything was very well maintained. Everything was beautiful. It really was a five star hotel. The Iguana Colada at the pool bar was sooo yummy. Everyone should try it.

All in all this was a fabulous trip. We had tons of fun. My hand is tired from typing so if you have any further questions please email me, I'd be happy to answer them.

Have a great time guys! If you've booked with CasaMagna I know you will have a wonderful trip.

28  Thank Koda1029
Pittsburgh PA
Reviewed May 29, 2005

This place was absolutely amazing!!!!!! The rooms were beautiful and very clean. The service there was absolutely amazing. The maid service was excellent. They would leave you nice little notes daily. You can not get service like this in the US. I booked toors through the American Express counter in the hotel. We had David as our contact and he was great!!! I scheduled a dolphin trip and I missed it. He waited late for me to come back to the hotel so he could give me a refund. In the US, you have to track people down to get your money back, not in Cancun. The beach was amazing and so was the ocean. The hotel was located in the hotel zone and it was very easy to get anywhere you felt like going. It was also very economical. We charged drinks and food to our room and our bill for 4 days of room service was only $150 American. The people at the hotel and in Cancun in general were so warm and inviting. I absolutely loved it and plan on going back in the near future. This was the best vacation ever and the best hotel I ever stayed at. No worries here!!!!!

13  Thank A TripAdvisor Member