“infant travel at casa magna a breeze”

Marriott Cancun Resort
Ranked #15 of 178 Hotels in Cancun
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed February 10, 2005

My family just returned from a trip to Cancun & Casa Magna Feb 1-8th. It was the most positive experience! We were travelling with a 6 month old & I have to say that everyone at the hotel was more than accomodating. The waitresses at Champtions restaurant even held our daughter while we ate lunch several of the days there. Everyone from the hospitality desk to the doormen, the cleaning staff, the waitors/waitresses, the people at check-in/out were so friendly!
1. If you want a good steak meal, go to La Capilla...very, very good
2. If you want a burger & fries or need an American meal fix, go to Champions (sports bar/restaurant)
3. La Dolce Vita, across the street, was a great place to go for Italian, also relatively cheap...go during sunset
4. Try La Isla, poolside restaurant for a satisfying lunch; chicken or beef burritos were tasty
5. We ate appetizer foods at the lounge bar one night & were not disappointed...less expensive, sitting on a couch, casual small meal (as a parent of an infant, this was probably one of our best dinner nights)
5. If you want a feel for the culture, but don't want to travel downtown, go to the outdoor flea market...prepare to bargain for what you want, lots of beautiful pottery, etc..
6. Take the bus...it was safe, cheap & fun. Get in & sit down fast!!
7. I never buy anything on the internet, but I did buy Boston Brandt's 2:1 entertainment card for $15 is more than worth it
8. For families with infants: We requested a crib for the room & got a Graco pack n play, perfect,no problems. Leave yours at home, but remember to request it when booking your room.
9. Go next door to use JW's infinity pool-don't bring Casa Magnas towels over
10. Swimming in the ocean was a bit rough...the waves are -relatively- big...stay close to shore if you're out of shape or not the best swimmer
11. Bring 50 $1 bills for tipping
All in all, we had a wonderful time & would stay at Casa Magna again because it really made the trip! The STAFF & beautiful location were the BEST! Being connected to the JW was great b/c it was twice the restaurants & pools. No need to pay the extra money to stay there...

35  Thank Dorritos
Write a ReviewReviews (4,229)

Reviewed February 9, 2005

Just returned from a week of pure heaven on earth (Feb. 2 - 9, 2005). We enjoyed an oceanfront room on the 6th (top) floor with views that went on forever. The food was wonderful. Use the E-Card for 2 for 1 deals at both Marriott's. The staff was very gracious with lots of helpful information. Everything was perfect and Marriott scores 100% with this property.

• Stayed: February 2005
5  Thank Len3
Reviewed February 7, 2005

My boyfriend and I went to Cancun from January 25-29 2005 and had a great time at the Casa Magna. We used his Marriott points, and paid $30/night extra for an ocean view room, which was well worth it. When we arrived, the bell-hop was extremely knowledgable and gave us tips for getting around the hotel and the area. Our room was immaculate, and all of the staff was incredibly nice. I read a lot of reviews of this hotel before we went, and all the positive reviews about the excellent service were right on. The pool and the beach were both fantastic. Overall we had a great time and I wouldn't hesitate to stay at this hotel again.

Whether or not you stay at the Casa Magna, use Brant Boston's Entertainment Plus card (also known as the 2 for 1 card): ---------------. I heard about this site from other tripadvisor.com users, and it was well worth it. We paid $15 for one card for the both of us, and it paid for itself after the first dinner. We also used Brant's site to book our airport transfers, Tulum/Xel-ha all-inclusive tour, and jungle tour (speedboats that take you snorkeling at a coral reef). We saved a lot of money with this card!

We didn't have enough time in Cancun - there is so much that we just didn't have time to do. Enjoy your trip!

• Stayed: January 2005
9  Thank lstrong
A TripAdvisor Member
Byram, NJ
Reviewed February 7, 2005

the hotel staff needs some retraining in customer service. I've stayed at many Marriot Hotels in the past and the staff is always nice and friendly, but the staff here is rude. From the front desk to the concierge. The hotel is okay, food and drinks are expensive for the quality. The breakfast buffet is $20 per person, not worth it considering the quality and the food choices. The pool can use a touch up, it's a little run down, and they need new pool chairs. The rooms are okay, and I do have to say that our room was always cleaned early in the morning. which is fine with us, since we were up by 6 am. We stayed from June 28th through July 4th 2004. The beach is very nice, the white sand and the emeral water are breath taking. Cancun itself is a beatiful place. There are many things to do and places to eat. Several malls for shopping with many restaurants. Cancun is simply a pricey place. Most people outside the hotel are nice and friendly. You can take the bus right outside the hotel for about 50 US cents- it's very cheap and it will take you to downtown Cancun. Just be weary of pick pocketing, my husband had $80 taken out of his pocket and didn't even realized it until it was time to pay for our meal. The JW Marriott Hotel next door might be a better choice. If I ever go back to Cancun, I will defenitely not stay here, I like to have a good time when I'm away and for the money I expect good customer service, I did not find that at this Marriott.

12  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 30, 2005

The hotel was great - beautiful, clean room - comfortable beds - wonderful view. the pool and hot tub were great but a little bit smaller than JW Marriott next door. We didn't really use it much because we did a lot of tours but when we did it wasn't crowded.
The one problem we found was the concierge - we asked her directions and she didn't give good ones and she seemed to know little about the area - she said she wasn't Mexican which is fine but then why is she the concierge?
The restaurants were great, the service was terrific - we would definitely stay here again.
Best Day Tours were great - we strongly recommend the xel-ha tour - we fell in love with snorkeling!
however, the Aquaworld tour was not nearly as nice - the paradise snorkeling tour was very rushed and not very good guides.
We can't wait to get back to Cancun!!!

• Stayed: January 2005
11  Thank snorkelbuff
Reviewed January 28, 2005

Couldn't find anyting wrong with this hotel--booked here for four nights in January thanks to advice from TRIPADVISOR. Our ocean front room was well worth the upgrade expense...private balcony so close to the ocean we slept with the sliding glass doors open each night so we could sleep to the sound of the waves. This hotel is elegant, offers many good restaurant choices and is located on aprime piece of ocean front land. Our rooms were clean, updated and quiet;the staff is accomodating. The pool is beautiful with steps leading directly to the warm sand. Thatched roofs shelter you from the sun when you sit on the beach and the hotel waiters are right there on the sand bringing you drinks and lunch. We saved many $$$ at the hotel restaurants using the discount meal card available from brant as mentioned by other trip advisor users. Its well worth the $15 cost and brant was an excellent source for airport transfers and excursions. No need to spend more to stay at the adjacent JWMARRIOTT--this hotel is just as good and the pool is better!

10  Thank Choux
Reviewed January 27, 2005

We visited the CasaMagna from Jan. 19th thru the 25th. It was our 3rd time staying at the hotel so we obviously love it. It was our first time back since the JW has been finished. Both hotels were totally sold out during our stay, but you would never know it being around the pool at the CasaMagna, everyone went over to the JW! Our pool was so quiet and roomy. We totally loved it. There were several corporations that were having there meetings/award trips there, with them using both hotels for rooms, but they used the JW for everything else.
We booked a rate that was (book 4 nights get the 5th night free, with free breakfast) At check in they didn't have us down for the free breakfast. I had to show them our confirmation page. Then at checkout they charged us for all 6 nights, I had to show them the confirmation page again. Wouldn't you think if I can have this information they would too?
One huge positive for us. On our first night at dinner I had a crown come off a tooth. I totally panicked. The concierge (Lorena) called her dentist at home (this was around 9:30pm) got a dentist that he recommended that spoke English. She called him at home, got an appointment for 9:30 the next morning. He was in downtown Cancun, I had it glued back on and was at our hotel pool by 10:40am! There's no way that would happen with my own dentist at home. I was so impressed.
I would go back again, in a heartbeat. I would just remember to bring my confirmation paperwork again!

9  Thank ksols