“Overall a Great Experience”

Marriott Cancun Resort
Ranked #14 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed December 23, 2004

We loved the Casa Magna! Someone complained that it wasn't near restaurants or shopping. Who cares that it's not near the best restaurants? That gives you the chance to take the bus (6.5 pesos) and see the whole strip. And it means that it's quiet, not in the busy shopping district. We had a great time (December 15-22). One problem (leaky shower upstairs dripped into our toilet area) but they fixed it pronto. The 2 breakfast buffets that came with the room added great value. What a breakfast spread--from typical American food to Yucatan specilties, and custom omelettes. The beds were a bit hard...my only complaint. We were on the ground floor just steps from the ocean and pool, which was great, but meant we couldn't keep our sliding door open at night. We had the cheap "garden" view which I would upgrade to ocean or pool view next time. The room service was excellent and the whole staff were attentive and gracious. It was much more expensive to eat in Cancun than I expected however. And the Casa Magna was no exception. The breakfast buffet (when our daughters paid for it) was 190 pesos (which is approximately $18 during our stay). What you might pay in Seattle at a Marriott. All in all, I would strongly recommend this hotel and would most likely stay again. Next time I would consider an all-inclusive, however.

2  Thank Jdillo

Reviewed December 21, 2004

We will not hesitate to return to the CasaMagna. The neighbouring JW is a little more impressive, and will be our hotel of choice upon our next vacation to Cancun. The staff at all levels are a pleasure to deal with, extremely knowledgable and go beyond their call of duty to make your stay beyond enjoyable (they are all verse in the local establishments and quick to point out deals). The rooms are immaculate and the cleaning staff is phenomenal! The pool temperature was perfect, while the ocean is conveniently located with La Isla ready to take your order to quench your thurst and satisfy your hunger. The restaurants are just heavenly, and the service is second to none. And most important, the other guests are all very friendly and never rowdy (ideal for young families, empty nesters and couples travelling without children - too tranquil for the college crowd). Also, conveniently located not too close to clubs, while easily accessible by cab or public transit if need be.

2  Thank jagtupit
Reviewed December 20, 2004

The Casa Magna is a wonderful hotel! My boyfriend and I stayed there for 4 days and I am sooooo glad we did. We almost ended up at the Solaris or the Riu Caribe because that was the deal the travel agent offered. I called Marriott reservations and got the best deal on the Casa Magna for $129 per night. (We also got a great rate round trip on Frontier, nonstop--2.25 hour flight.) Needless to say, we kicked the travel agent to the curve and booked directly with Marriott. We had to pay in full in advance, but this was nice because we only had to check in once we got there. I'm glad we followed our gut to stay at the Casa Magna!

The Casa Magna is a moderately elegant hotel. Compared to the JW Marriott next door, the lobby is more old style elegance with hugh chandeliers, whereas, the JW seemed more contemporary. The JW had several nice pools. But the one big pool and hot tub at Casa Magna was nice enough! Heck! The Gulf of Mexico is right behind the pool. If you need more water--well.... The beds were firm, not hard. I slept fine every night. The room was on the 6th floor overlooking the crashing waves of the turquoise waters and white sand beach and with a great view of the JW next door. I spent quite a bit of time on the balcony. The view is lovely. One morning I got up and walked to the beach and watched the sunrise over the gulf. Wonderful!

The 1st night, Saturday, we ate at Champions. It was loud and apparently everyone was into the soccer game. The food was typical sports bar food. We had hamburger and fries and the stuffed shrimp. I was told the hamburger was very tasty. The shrimp which was over-stuffed with cheese, breaded and deep fried was also very good. If you like cheese and shrimp, try it. The portions are big and filled with cheese. I ate at the breakfast buffet at La Caparilla every day except one and it was wonderful! Only one day did I eat breakfast at La Salsa at the JW and it was basically the same breakfast, but for some reason the food wasn't as tasty. It was a pretty humdrum except that I ate outside on the terrace. My family and I are very picky about breakfast--it's our favorite meal. We ate at the prime rib and lobster buffet at the JW on Sunday night and it was also pretty humdrum. The prime rib was not what I expected and my lobster was chewy and tough. I got indigestion from the Lobster--a condition that I rarely get. The next night after a full day at Chichen Itza, Mayan Ruins, I ate a rib eye steak at La Caparilla and it was excellent. After a showing of the various cuts of steak, it was cooked perfectly and served sizzling on a grill/platter with one of the sweetest onions I have ever tasted. The bread was hot and crusty and served with several great spreads and butter. So La Caparilla was a very nice surpise. If you want to get out, there is a steak house called the Porterhouse which comes very highly recommended by the concierge! But La Caparilla's steaks were of high quality and cooked perfectly.

Note: Leave a valid credit card on file and charge to your room at both the Casa Magna and JW. It is very convenient and they seem to expect it.... Also cab fare is $7 each way. Also pay in pesos whenever you can. We found that the Mexicans conveniently use an exchange rate of 10 pesos to $1 American. But if you paid in pesos you got your full value. The exchange rate at the time we were there was about 11.50 to $1 American.

As for the somewhat negative reviews, I was there 12/12-12/15/04. I met a gentleman from Denver at Champions, he seemed to like it and planned to come back in March. I planned to go back in the Spring also with the kids if we don't do the Atlantis Resort in the Bahamas.... Too bad for those folks who don't like this hotel. I can only imagine that the individuals who give this hotel a minimal rating must have had some really bad experiences there, but I saw no signs of discontent from anyone. Service was great! There was a female concierge that didn't seem friendly at first, but she finally came around after my friend insisted she research for some information for him. Everything worked perfectly, the rooms were cleaned daily, no thefts--of course, we didn't leave anything out to tempt anyone... We all know the risks about that kind of thing--anywhere....

At the airport we signed up for a timeshare. We paid $40 deposit. Don't do this because at La Isla mall, they also do timeshares for the Avalon Grand and the Avalon Resort on Isla Mujeres. They paid us back our $40, gave us an additional $50, a 5th of tequilia, mexican blanket, sports bag, a tour to Chichen Itza for each of us including lunch, and a boat ride to Isla Mujeres. The timeshare tour which included lunch was an experience... For more information, see my review on the Avalon at Isla Mujeres. We didn't buy the timeshare--although we thought about it--and they got mad at us. We had drank champagne, run the credit card through, got to the last page of signing and common sense kicked in. We only paid $577 for the Casa Magna for 4 nights!!! Why pay $200 per month for years and then roughly pay $500 maintenance fee everytime we want to stay at OUR resort for a week. And we got a cheaper deal--a supposed foreclosure for $13,000 rather than the $40,000 they initially discussed with us. I'm glad my honey was with me. He handled them nicely! And we still got all the free stuff promised--begrudgingly. So if you can handle the pressure. Go for it and get other tours too, such as deep sea fishing. They offered that plus free dinner for two at the Portersteak in addition to what they already promised when we changed our minds.

So if you want a nice quiet, elegant, and moderately priced hotel in Cancun with the reputation of a major hotel chain such as Marriott, the Casa Magna is it! By the way, I took the hotel shuttle back to the airport. It was nice and comfortable. Nicer than the crowded van we took to the hotel from the airport. As for paying the extra money to stay at the JW, I won't. The Casa Magna is a very good value and experience. However, if you've got it like that and you like to spend extra money just to say you stayed at a JW Marriott, that's your perogative. I prefer to take that extra money and go shopping and on tours.

CASA MAGNA--I'LL BE BACK!

6  Thank WALKERC
A TripAdvisor Member
Denver, CO
Reviewed December 15, 2004

1) Location: Both of the Marriott's are not located near any shopping or choice dining areas, and cabs will cost you $15 to get back and forth to most of those areas, more for downtown. For the same price as the Casa Magna you could be very near La Isla shopping center at the Sheraton Hotel. For near the same price as the JW you could be at the Fiesta Americana Aqua. Bot are better located. There is a bus that goes by the hotel, and it very inexpensive (about 65 cents), but you get what you pay for. It is not air conditioned, can sometime have a bad odor to it, and when we took it downtown, it was involved in a minor accident that left us sitting in the sweltering heat for 20 minutes.
2) The pool at the Casa Magna (there is only one) has daily activities like trivia games, and "learn spanish" or "learn bartending" short classes. They are held over a loudspeaker that crackles and we found them to be very annoying if you want to just sit at the pool and read a book or take a nap. Since there is only this one pool, there isn't anyplace else to go to avoid the noise. About 10% of the people around the pool participated in these activites, and if you think you might be one of them, then this probably won't be a big problem. When they are not playing the games, they play music over those same crackly speakers - sometimes pretty loudly - and the music is often jazz, but sometimes house (dance) music with a thumping beat. It seems to be at the discretion of the staff who change radio stations at whim.
3) The beach directly behind the hotel is full of large boulders or rocks about the size of a 32 inch TV. During low tide, they are dangerous especially for the young and the elderly who might easily be hurt by falling onto them. The current can be powerful at times.
4) Be very careful of the bellhops. Our bags were gone through when they were left for holding after checking out (we had a late afternoon flight out). The couple we were travelling with were missing several small items - including his car key which he left in his bag. It was a BMW key and they probably kept it as a souvenir, but it will cost him over a hundred dollars to replace. We had to give them a ride home from the airport - boy was he aggravated. Bring locks for your bags even though they will have to be removed for the TSA. Don't take any chances with your property - no matter how unlikely you think someone else might want it. Keep an eye on everything.
5) The hotel is not new - so expect some blemishes in the surroundings. Some of the plumbing is bad (toilets won't always flush completely, the pressure in the sink is very weak....) Otherwise, the rooms are decent and clean, and the bed is pretty comfortable.
6) Most of the staff was very congenial, but there were more than a few that seemed to be bothered to help you. The staff at the pool was more interested in chatting amongst themselves than providing any service, and the front desk seemed to be burdened by having to make change. They seem to be overly staffed (not uncommon when wages are so low) but because they stand around a lot, I think they get a bit lazy and seem troubled by actually having to do anything.

We have spent the last 10 years travelling to Hawaii for our beach vacations and thought we would try Cancun after moving to Denver since the flight time to Hawaii is a little long and indirect. We also tried a trip to South Beach last year. Neither Cancun nor SB provides as much beauty as Hawaii. They lack the lush colors of the flowers and sweet smell in the gardens. Little things, perhaps, but things that we remember and kinda missed. I think that Cancun is not someplace we will go back to again. If we do, we will not stay at either of the Marriotts. For a low rate I would pick the Sheraton only for its location, and if I didn't care about the location, I would stay at Le Meridien. It is a smaller, boutique kind of hotel at least from what I could see from touring the place. I did take a look around at all of the hotels in the area in case we decided to come back. If I didn't care about the price, I would stay at the Fiesta Americana Aqua - though it is a bit modern in design it looked comfortable nonetheless. Poolside was spectacular at the Aqua. Worth a visit even if you don't stay there.

6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed December 15, 2004

I enjoyed this hotel tremendously. The service is top notch. It is also very clean. Breakfast was great. They served breakfast dishes and some meat dishes also. Water is crystal clear even though this time of the year, December, it is a bit wavy. Restaurants are OK and are a great deal if you get Entertainment card which is well described in other reviews for this hotel. One issue that bugs me about this hotel is absence of live music entertainment. They have a grand piano that just plays by itself. That does not attract a lot of people. So in order to find something to do in the evening you have to leave hotel premises. To finish the review of this property on the positive note, I have stayed at many hotels in Cancun and Playa Del Carmen, including well liked by many RIU Palace, Playa Del Carmen. This is the only one that I would strongly consider coming back to.

6  Thank Dmitri-TX
Reviewed December 14, 2004

This was our final stop in our tour through the Yucatan. After spending a few nights in less than grand hotels, this one was heaven. We walked into the lobby and were greeted by every employee that saw us. Everyone was smiling, happy and very helpful. We were able to get a beautiful room with a balcony overlooking the ocean. The room was very tastefully decorated and always clean and cheerful. We had a little accident and the staff was very attentive, helpful and concerned for our welfare. We were very well pampered. We enjoyed the restaurants and could have stayed longer if the plane wasn't leaving without us. We loved this hotel and can't wait to go back!

3  Thank amassey
Reviewed December 13, 2004

OK here we go....we arrived at Reagan Airport a little early and there was an earlier flight to Charlotte so we asked if we could get on that flight (US Air) and were allowed, then in Charlotte an earlier flight to Cancun and we were allowed to board that flight also, so we arrived in Cancun a little after 10 in the morning. I told my wife after we push the green light and go through the glass doors run right up the gut through the official looking timeshare people dressed in ties and white shirts. The doors open and someone asks my wife to see our transportation vouchers and she stops and asks me where our vouchers are....I say honey pick up the ball and don't fumble again till we get outside the airport ....now we dodge and weave through the away team like Walter Payton and score...no timeshares for us! We wait for the $9.00 shuttle and the driver tells we can wait for others or he'll take us now for $40. I say $30 and he waits for about 2 minutes and gives in and takes us to the Casa Magna. Drops us off $35 with tip about average I guess. We check into oceanfront room 4099-very nice room looking directly to the ocena about 11:30am. I check out to minibar and say hon let's catch the bus to the Walmart. Bottled water in the room 22 pesos- 8 bottles of bottled water at Walmart -22 pesos! Bus is 6.5 pesos each way, glad I cancelled the rental car at the last minute! Friday night we decide to eat at the buffet at the JW and use Brant's card. It said buy one get the second buffet half price. Buffet is $46.00 and it was fantastic, we had 4 lobster tails they bring out 2 at a time from the kitchen, the rest is all there on the buffet. The lobster were great cerviches was good and the prime rib was pretty good not the best but pretty good. We had the creme brulee for dessert and it was fantastic! We got the bill and instead of receiving half off 1 dinner they took off the whole price of 1 buffet $46.00 off the tab- so Brants ecard already paid for itself! Check out this buffet Wednesdays, Fridays and Sundays at the Salsa Cafe in the JW next door.
Next the skinny on the Chichen Itza tour....we decided at last minute to go on this tour the next day so we checked out prices in the hotel one place wanted $58 and the other place wanted $65 for the basic tour so I called theyline tours you can get the same price so no need for ecard on this one because service number on the Ecard and booked for $45 per person . If call Gra ecard uses Grayline tours also. Now for the facts....pickup at hotel at 7:20am pick up some more uneducated naive slobs I mean tourists up the street and then to some central location uptown where you are herded into a building to stand in line to pay for your tickets. You can buy some bric-a-brac while waiting for the main bus to leave. Bus pulls out 8:15 does a lap around some colonial town Valladoid or something like that- not sure of the purpose of that then on to some overpriced Mayan flea market, although I did drink a couple free shots of some liquor that attracted bees. Then on to Chicken Pizta ...arrive at 12:00 ....eat buffet at Mayaland Hotel....food ....hmmm.....adequate at best....watch some kids dance with Coke bottles on their heads ....missed the photo for picture on hot sauce bottle then guided tour starts on 1:00pm....gets old after while...everyone justs wants to climb El Castillo....guided tour ends...2:30....free time til 4:00pm....wife and I climbed El Castillo....smoked first Cuban cigar(Cohiba) at summit....that was in celebration of making it to the top and the end of the guided tour! Bus pulls out 4:15 arrives Casa Magna 6:50pm...what a day. Am I glad we did the tour? Answer-yes, we saw the Mayan ruins. Would I go on another tour to Chichen Itza? Answer- You've got to be kidding me!After the tour we go to Champions for dinner... order Argentine style wings for appetizer and they don't come and our dinner arrives Philly cheesesteak for her and blackened fish sandwich for me....tell waiter to cancel wings....manager comes over (Jorge) and apologizes and gives us wings on the house then ecard takes cares of Philly cheesesteak.....$40 bill becomes $20.
Ate one night at La Distilleria...had beef fajitas and wife had chicken fajitas pretty good overall....would try a different Mexican place next time but it was pretty good- no ecard here....tipped the maid daily...she was nice ...left us a litle note.....pool was great not crowded....ocean was great -beautiful .....beach was pretty good.... walk down the beach to your right facing the ocean till you are right in front of the middle of the next hotel...Melia I think...then walk out into the ocean... great swimming location.....Overall this was a superb vacation and the wife loved it and thats what its all about ....making the love of my life happy!
Stay at the Casa Magna ....it was a very nice hotel! You can email with any other questions...

7  Thank inzane44