“Before you go, you should know”

Marriott Cancun Resort
Ranked #14 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
A TripAdvisor Member
Denver, CO
Reviewed December 15, 2004

1) Location: Both of the Marriott's are not located near any shopping or choice dining areas, and cabs will cost you $15 to get back and forth to most of those areas, more for downtown. For the same price as the Casa Magna you could be very near La Isla shopping center at the Sheraton Hotel. For near the same price as the JW you could be at the Fiesta Americana Aqua. Bot are better located. There is a bus that goes by the hotel, and it very inexpensive (about 65 cents), but you get what you pay for. It is not air conditioned, can sometime have a bad odor to it, and when we took it downtown, it was involved in a minor accident that left us sitting in the sweltering heat for 20 minutes.
2) The pool at the Casa Magna (there is only one) has daily activities like trivia games, and "learn spanish" or "learn bartending" short classes. They are held over a loudspeaker that crackles and we found them to be very annoying if you want to just sit at the pool and read a book or take a nap. Since there is only this one pool, there isn't anyplace else to go to avoid the noise. About 10% of the people around the pool participated in these activites, and if you think you might be one of them, then this probably won't be a big problem. When they are not playing the games, they play music over those same crackly speakers - sometimes pretty loudly - and the music is often jazz, but sometimes house (dance) music with a thumping beat. It seems to be at the discretion of the staff who change radio stations at whim.
3) The beach directly behind the hotel is full of large boulders or rocks about the size of a 32 inch TV. During low tide, they are dangerous especially for the young and the elderly who might easily be hurt by falling onto them. The current can be powerful at times.
4) Be very careful of the bellhops. Our bags were gone through when they were left for holding after checking out (we had a late afternoon flight out). The couple we were travelling with were missing several small items - including his car key which he left in his bag. It was a BMW key and they probably kept it as a souvenir, but it will cost him over a hundred dollars to replace. We had to give them a ride home from the airport - boy was he aggravated. Bring locks for your bags even though they will have to be removed for the TSA. Don't take any chances with your property - no matter how unlikely you think someone else might want it. Keep an eye on everything.
5) The hotel is not new - so expect some blemishes in the surroundings. Some of the plumbing is bad (toilets won't always flush completely, the pressure in the sink is very weak....) Otherwise, the rooms are decent and clean, and the bed is pretty comfortable.
6) Most of the staff was very congenial, but there were more than a few that seemed to be bothered to help you. The staff at the pool was more interested in chatting amongst themselves than providing any service, and the front desk seemed to be burdened by having to make change. They seem to be overly staffed (not uncommon when wages are so low) but because they stand around a lot, I think they get a bit lazy and seem troubled by actually having to do anything.

We have spent the last 10 years travelling to Hawaii for our beach vacations and thought we would try Cancun after moving to Denver since the flight time to Hawaii is a little long and indirect. We also tried a trip to South Beach last year. Neither Cancun nor SB provides as much beauty as Hawaii. They lack the lush colors of the flowers and sweet smell in the gardens. Little things, perhaps, but things that we remember and kinda missed. I think that Cancun is not someplace we will go back to again. If we do, we will not stay at either of the Marriotts. For a low rate I would pick the Sheraton only for its location, and if I didn't care about the location, I would stay at Le Meridien. It is a smaller, boutique kind of hotel at least from what I could see from touring the place. I did take a look around at all of the hotels in the area in case we decided to come back. If I didn't care about the price, I would stay at the Fiesta Americana Aqua - though it is a bit modern in design it looked comfortable nonetheless. Poolside was spectacular at the Aqua. Worth a visit even if you don't stay there.

6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Reviewed December 15, 2004

I enjoyed this hotel tremendously. The service is top notch. It is also very clean. Breakfast was great. They served breakfast dishes and some meat dishes also. Water is crystal clear even though this time of the year, December, it is a bit wavy. Restaurants are OK and are a great deal if you get Entertainment card which is well described in other reviews for this hotel. One issue that bugs me about this hotel is absence of live music entertainment. They have a grand piano that just plays by itself. That does not attract a lot of people. So in order to find something to do in the evening you have to leave hotel premises. To finish the review of this property on the positive note, I have stayed at many hotels in Cancun and Playa Del Carmen, including well liked by many RIU Palace, Playa Del Carmen. This is the only one that I would strongly consider coming back to.

6  Thank Dmitri-TX
Reviewed December 14, 2004

This was our final stop in our tour through the Yucatan. After spending a few nights in less than grand hotels, this one was heaven. We walked into the lobby and were greeted by every employee that saw us. Everyone was smiling, happy and very helpful. We were able to get a beautiful room with a balcony overlooking the ocean. The room was very tastefully decorated and always clean and cheerful. We had a little accident and the staff was very attentive, helpful and concerned for our welfare. We were very well pampered. We enjoyed the restaurants and could have stayed longer if the plane wasn't leaving without us. We loved this hotel and can't wait to go back!

3  Thank amassey
Reviewed December 13, 2004

OK here we go....we arrived at Reagan Airport a little early and there was an earlier flight to Charlotte so we asked if we could get on that flight (US Air) and were allowed, then in Charlotte an earlier flight to Cancun and we were allowed to board that flight also, so we arrived in Cancun a little after 10 in the morning. I told my wife after we push the green light and go through the glass doors run right up the gut through the official looking timeshare people dressed in ties and white shirts. The doors open and someone asks my wife to see our transportation vouchers and she stops and asks me where our vouchers are....I say honey pick up the ball and don't fumble again till we get outside the airport ....now we dodge and weave through the away team like Walter Payton and score...no timeshares for us! We wait for the $9.00 shuttle and the driver tells we can wait for others or he'll take us now for $40. I say $30 and he waits for about 2 minutes and gives in and takes us to the Casa Magna. Drops us off $35 with tip about average I guess. We check into oceanfront room 4099-very nice room looking directly to the ocena about 11:30am. I check out to minibar and say hon let's catch the bus to the Walmart. Bottled water in the room 22 pesos- 8 bottles of bottled water at Walmart -22 pesos! Bus is 6.5 pesos each way, glad I cancelled the rental car at the last minute! Friday night we decide to eat at the buffet at the JW and use Brant's card. It said buy one get the second buffet half price. Buffet is $46.00 and it was fantastic, we had 4 lobster tails they bring out 2 at a time from the kitchen, the rest is all there on the buffet. The lobster were great cerviches was good and the prime rib was pretty good not the best but pretty good. We had the creme brulee for dessert and it was fantastic! We got the bill and instead of receiving half off 1 dinner they took off the whole price of 1 buffet $46.00 off the tab- so Brants ecard already paid for itself! Check out this buffet Wednesdays, Fridays and Sundays at the Salsa Cafe in the JW next door.
Next the skinny on the Chichen Itza tour....we decided at last minute to go on this tour the next day so we checked out prices in the hotel one place wanted $58 and the other place wanted $65 for the basic tour so I called theyline tours you can get the same price so no need for ecard on this one because service number on the Ecard and booked for $45 per person . If call Gra ecard uses Grayline tours also. Now for the facts....pickup at hotel at 7:20am pick up some more uneducated naive slobs I mean tourists up the street and then to some central location uptown where you are herded into a building to stand in line to pay for your tickets. You can buy some bric-a-brac while waiting for the main bus to leave. Bus pulls out 8:15 does a lap around some colonial town Valladoid or something like that- not sure of the purpose of that then on to some overpriced Mayan flea market, although I did drink a couple free shots of some liquor that attracted bees. Then on to Chicken Pizta ...arrive at 12:00 ....eat buffet at Mayaland Hotel....food ....hmmm.....adequate at best....watch some kids dance with Coke bottles on their heads ....missed the photo for picture on hot sauce bottle then guided tour starts on 1:00pm....gets old after while...everyone justs wants to climb El Castillo....guided tour ends...2:30....free time til 4:00pm....wife and I climbed El Castillo....smoked first Cuban cigar(Cohiba) at summit....that was in celebration of making it to the top and the end of the guided tour! Bus pulls out 4:15 arrives Casa Magna 6:50pm...what a day. Am I glad we did the tour? Answer-yes, we saw the Mayan ruins. Would I go on another tour to Chichen Itza? Answer- You've got to be kidding me!After the tour we go to Champions for dinner... order Argentine style wings for appetizer and they don't come and our dinner arrives Philly cheesesteak for her and blackened fish sandwich for me....tell waiter to cancel wings....manager comes over (Jorge) and apologizes and gives us wings on the house then ecard takes cares of Philly cheesesteak.....$40 bill becomes $20.
Ate one night at La Distilleria...had beef fajitas and wife had chicken fajitas pretty good overall....would try a different Mexican place next time but it was pretty good- no ecard here....tipped the maid daily...she was nice ...left us a litle note.....pool was great not crowded....ocean was great -beautiful .....beach was pretty good.... walk down the beach to your right facing the ocean till you are right in front of the middle of the next hotel...Melia I think...then walk out into the ocean... great swimming location.....Overall this was a superb vacation and the wife loved it and thats what its all about ....making the love of my life happy!
Stay at the Casa Magna ....it was a very nice hotel! You can email with any other questions...

7  Thank inzane44
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed December 12, 2004

I have stayed at a LOT of Marriotts around the world. This is a nice one. The lobby is impressive, the pool is nice, beach is great, and rooms are above par. I had a small issue at check in but it was resolved by the manager promptly. The breakfast was great.

Do yourself a favor and walk to the JW Marriott next door and enjoy many of the things there. The restaurants are EXCELLENT as is the spa and pool.

• Stayed: January 2005
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed December 11, 2004

My husband and I stayed at the Marriott from 12/3 through 12/10 with Apple Vacations. This is the third time we have used Apple and the second time we have stayed in Cancun. This resort is very beautiful, it does live up to the 6 golden apples mark. The entry way into the hotel is very grand. The beach is quite big compared to some of the other resorts, and the pool and grounds are kept very clean. The service in and outside the hotel are top notch, someone is always there to assist with whatever you need. Check in and check out were a breeze, and they even got us in 3 hours early in an upgraded room. The room themselves are quite nice, marble floors and bathrooms with nice decks overlooking the pool and ocean. They are kept very clean each day. Restaurants on the grounds are also very good, Mikado is a Japanese place with good food, but somewhat expensive ($150 per couple). Champions is a sportsbar with American bar food ($50 per couple) with big screens TV's. I would highly recommend La Dolce Vita across the street, great atmosphere and excellent food ($100 per couple). Weather was fantastic, 90 degrees all week, with no rain. If you are comparing this hotel to JW Marriot next door, which is more expensive, it is just as nice. Happy traveling!

4  Thank COBeach
Reviewed December 5, 2004

My husband and I (no kids) spent 8 nights at the CasaMagna (Nov.26-Dec.4) and thought it was fantastic! We did a lot of research beforehand. We were about to choose an Ocean View room at the Gran Melia but then found an Ocean Front room at the Marriot CasaMagna (right next door) at Travelocity for nearly the same price. (We couldn't find the ocean front room option available anywhere else, not even the Marriot website or Expedia so we were a little scared we wouldn't get one...but we were not disappointed one bit!!!) Our room was very nicely appointed, the view and balcony were killer, and the maid staff was excellent. The AC worked great (when we walked through Gran Melia it was very humid---very little AC. I think if we would've stayed there we would've been uncomfortable). The beds were a little firm but totally tolerable. The down pillows were a nice touch. You are given a lock for the in-room safe at no charge. (You are charged a dollar for each local phone call so be careful!)
The hotel's beach is WONDERFUL except watch your step into the water because huge limestone rocks are hiding a few meters in. Once you pass the rocks, you're in heaven! The JW Marriot next door didn't seem to have too many rocks in the shallow area of their beach so that may be a better bet if you're worried about your kids. The JW pool is also quite nice especially if it's 10 o'clock pm and no one is around! Besides that, I would not choose the JW over the CasaMagna. I didn't see a room of course but just by the looks of the hallways, I was much more impressed with the CasaMagna. The sand is gorgeous and well groomed. There are an ample number of chairs and thatched umbrella huts.
I've heard lots of people complain about the prices in Cancun but we found it to be reasonable for a resort area (and no we are not upper crust :). You have to expect high prices for drinks on the beach--all other services and prices were what you would normally pay for in your home town of equal quality and service. Some tips (most of which have already been discussed on this site) for saving money: definetely invest in Brant's Cancun "e-card" for 2-for-1 meals (purchased on-line) and visit Wal-mart the first day (get drinks, a cooler, snorkel gear, etc.). Go to Isla Plaza's Come n' Eat if you want to take a break from higher restaurant bills. Also, Mercado 28 (downtown Cancun local vendor market) offers an outdoor, authentic Mexican dining experience that was really inexpensive. (The vendors inside the market are a lot less "pushy" than the vendors on the outside.)
Regarding the discount e-card, my husband was a little weary at first when we got a universal message from Brant saying the card will most likely be misplaced by the hotel (it was to be delivered the day of our arrival at the hotel). The hotel did infact misplace the card but I simply called Brant's local number and told them and by the time we got back to our hotel room a few hours later it was delivered to our room, sitting on our bed! We figured we saved $100 (minus $15 for the card) between the two of us for meals at Mango Tango, twice at La Capilla for dinner, once at La capilla for the breakfast buffet (not 2-for-1 buffet but they knock off about $6 USD which they didn't have to do at all), Come n' Eat, Carlos n' Charlies, and saved $30 off the Open Bar at the night club Coco Bongo (but that included some bargaining on my husband's part). The staff at La Capilla was excellent. The night manager, Israel, took extra special care of us. We never got any flack for using the card.
You do not need a car to get around Cancun (unless you wanted to skip the tour buses and travel down to Chichen Itza or Cozumel yourself). The Cancun buses, although occasionally hair-raising (hold on!!), are only 6.5 pesos p/p, come by nearly every minute and take you wherever you need to go. The time we went to Walmart we took the "R-1" bus that goes practically everywhere including deep into Cancun city. I guess we missed the drop-off because pretty soon we were in the outskirts of town where locals are quite poverty sticken. A very sweet local asked us if we needed help and he showed us the way to a connecting bus. The local people are soooo wonderful. At no time while I was there did I ever feel afraid (and we walked through some pretty seedy areas.)
No time share people to bother you at the CasaMagna hotel. As soon as we walked into the Gran Melia however, we were approached by a time share person (a simple "no thank you" though is all you need :) I heard this was also true about the Hyatt Cancun Caribe.
The location of the hotel is ideal though I would not want to be much further south than our hotel. Most tour bus hubs, night-life, restaurants, and malls are up north.
I splurged and had a massage at the hotel----very good service!
Oh, the only thing I would say as a minor con for CasaMagna is our reserved hotel transportation never arrived at the airport. We waited quite a while and no one came. Meanwhile we were being swarmed by everyone wanting to give us transportation. We finally gave in and took a shuttle (we were kindof packed in like sardines but luckily we were the 2nd folks to be dropped off.) We realized later that the price for the shuttle ($9 each) was the same price for a taxi...so for most families, a taxi is a better choice (or for families of 3 or more the e-card has a good deal on a private shuttle).
We did Chichen Itza, X-Caret, and Isla Mujeres tours. We got a good price for the tours through some info we obtained from a map we bought on-line that has some AWESOME insider info ("Can-Do Cancun Map and Travel Guide"). We did not do a time-share.
So, a great vacation for a good price in a beautiful place with awesome people!

13  Thank cque2