“Mixed Feelings about Casa Magna” 4 of 5 bubbles

CasaMagna Marriott Cancun Resort
Ranked #15 of 181 Hotels in Cancun
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Allen, TX
“Mixed Feelings about Casa Magna”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2008

We booked a 2 night stay at Casa Magna using marriott points.
First off, it required 90k points (double than normal) due to season. That was expected.

With that also, I had to pay an additional 30 USD per day for a oceanview instead of garden view. To be fair, they told me in advance.

Pros:
1. Marriott reward program is one of the best. So this or JW
next door is an easy choice.
2. Breakfast was included with our reservation. (remember double points). That is $17 per person per day. Excellent breakfast bar and choices. Very good service
3. Connectivity to JW Marriott for restaurants and using them spa
4. room-service is ok. Sasi restaurant is excellent
5. Good beach-front.
6. All hotels on road are well-connected to Bars/clubs area.

Cons:
1. Family resort, so for two of us, too many kids around...
2. Gym, indoor pool and sauna facilities are really poor. Totally unexpected. Definitely not a worthy SPA hotel.
3. Outdoor pool is ok, but small for the size of the hotel.
4. Rooms are ok/small in size, but great views.
5. Other restaurants not as good.

Stayed December 2008
2 Thank 3tripsperyear

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (910)
  • Hebrew first
Woodhaven, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2008

My husband and I stayed at the CasaMagna 11-28-08 to 12-5-08 and had a wonderful experiance there. This hotel is very well taken care of inside and out. We did not come accross one unfriendly person that worked at this hotel and everybody that works there speaks English. The pool area is very nice with wait staff there to take drink/food orders all day long so all you have to do is sit back and relax! The hotel staff that work at the front desk are very knowledgable about where to go and what to do while you are there and the best way to get there. We took the bus everywhere we went and had no problems at all and it's very cheap. If you find a restaurant you would like to go to ask the front desk they might just have a menu there for you to look at. I think my only complaint is there are no "mom and pop" Mexican restaurants in the Hotel Zone area, you pretty much have to go Downtown Cancun to find good "cheap" authentic Mexican food. If I go back to Cancun this is where I will stay, I would recommend this hotel to anybody that wants to go on a relaxing carefree vacation!!

• Liked — Very Clean
  • Disliked — No Mexican Restaurant on site
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Tams-Love-To-Travel
Los Angeles
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2008

I've always though of Marriott as an outstanding resort thriving to make lasting moments for the customers all over the world. However, my recent experience in Marriot Casa Magna in Cancun was not the best and most pleasant experience. First, we were not given a friendly tour on the hotel. Our package included breakfast and they refused to accept it and made the waiter follow us all over the reception desk only to make sure our breakfast was included in the deal. Afterall we were not even given a simple appology. The rooms were not that great and despite having lots of free rooms, we were given the farthest room with least view to the ocean/garden and access to the main lobby. It's worth mentionening that a couple of people in the resort were being really friendly and helpful but compare to the rest of the hotel staff the counts were negligable. In addition the staff are not familar with " customer satisfaction/customer service" and were rather biased and prejudiced in regard to their actions and responses.Beside being a an extremly quiet place,it was not a very pleansant memory of the place and we don't recommend it.

Stayed November 2008
3 Thank azimaloos
Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2008

My wife my 5 year old son and i just got back from a week stay at the Casa Magna over Thanksgiving and we loved it. We did a fair amount of research before we booked the trip and were very happy with the experience.

We had a first floor ocean front suite with huge patio overlooking the gulf, we kept to door open most of the time we were in the room to hear the surf. The suite upgrade was $80 a night and a great deal for us because we were able to have our son sleep in his own room with doors separating us. The room was very nice and plenty big enough for the three of us, the outdoor living space made it seem even bigger. Tip, if you are bringing kids who like to watch kids movies, haul along a DVD player and DVDs, the staff will hook it up for you but have none to rent or provide you with.

We also had the all inclusive plan, which I was leery about buying since I had never used an AI before. It worked out VERY well for us and I'd buy it there again with no second thought. The food at all of the restaurants was was very good, but not great. We didn't eat at the sports bar. The pricing was basically standard US pricing for the types of restaurants they are, not deals but about $100 US for the 3 of us at dinner. Between the pool restaurant / bar, the Thai place, the Japanese place and the steak house we did not get bored throughout the week. When we do drink liquor, we always consume higher end stuff than what was offered with the package (100% Agave Tequila etc.) , but, I have to say I didn't really miss the difference and on the occasions where I did we just paid for the upgrade. We also tipped on top of the inclusive price which amounted to a couple hundred US over the course of the week. I think we got faster service as a result, regardless it just seemed like the right thing to do.

Our son went to the kids club for a couple of days and had allot of fun, we usually wanted to spend time with him so we sprung him out early. All in all, the kids club is good deal for both parents and kids, you get the break and they get to hang with kids.

The pool was nice, the chairs are pretty close to each other which I found annoying but my wife said I was being sensitive. The beach is MUCH smaller than I remember from the last time I was in Cancun 12 years ago. We showed up at the end of a storm, and it was wider the day we left compared to when we arrived, but it was still pretty narrow. I took a couple of runs on the beach and it was actually difficult to a pass the surf in a couple of places where it was hitting the walls of hotel structures. I still had fun swimming in the waves, hanging out and building sand castles, but the Cancun beach is no longer the show piece it once was.

The staff was very friendly, the place feels like it is a very well managed big chain resort (which it is) and we always got what we needed and wanted with very little effort.

One funny comment here on getting what you need, there are no book stores in the Hotel Zone, 2 big malls - no book stores Spanish or English. My wife ran out of books, we went hunting and came up dry. So, if you are a reader, BYOB. Apparently Wall-Mart may have had some, but we didn't want to 1. take the time to go down town or 2. go to wall mart.

We rented a car and drove to ChitenItza (Sp) one day. The ruins are great and worth the 2.5 hour drive each way. We rented our car from the Buget office in the hotel and the car sucked. It was dirty, and I mean dirty, poorly maintained (bad tires, brakes, and exhaust) , drove terribly and was over priced, $60 US a day. The car guys were polite but dismissive, it was the only car they had so I took it. No advice here on where else to go, just a heads up. All that said, it was very convenient to pick up and drop off a few hundred feet from our room.

As others have mentioned, this is a place to chill out, no big party scene or allot going on aside from beach and pool. Great for families. Also, if you haven't been to Cancun, this is NOT a place to go to see Mexican culture, it is for hanging at resorts and doing touristy stuff.

We live in Colorado and do extremely active stuff all the time. A week of resort living and down time is exactly what were looking for, we got it and it was awesome.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank traveldad88
Hartford, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2008

My husband and I were at the Casamagna for about a week for Thanksgiving. We booked our stay with Marriott with rewards points. We were also able to obtain the "all inclusive" package with points (165,000 points for hotel + all inclusive which should be a 250$/ night stay). (we wanted all inclusive based on reviews saying it was better to go with such a package)
Since we are Gold, we got upgraded to an ocean view room: the view was amazing. If you are an early bird, don't miss the sun rise over the ocean.
The room was decent size, king bed was comfortable, marble floors. The bathroom could have been better: the tub is small, but I guess it's ok since there is a big pool, a big hot tub and the ocean!
The only thing I would say about the room itself is the fact that there is no door to separate the bed area from the foyer of the room (hall with closet and bathroom), so we heard people at night or in the morning (children runnning in flipflops in the hall, high heels,...). I wish they would install this extra door.
I agree with one of the reviews below that the lobby bar is rather desert : we saw the band once, but they left 10min after we arrived. I wouldn't recommend this hotel for young people willing to party all night. There are other hotels closer to the fun places.
But for couples or families, it's great.
Since we were all inclusive, we took advantage of unlilited drinks on the beach, in the hot tub,... The restaurants are good, not excellent. As all inclusive, you can order anything on the menu, and as much as you want (the brochure says 3 course menu, i's not true). Lobster and beef fillet items are 10$ extra though, but there is plenty to choose from besides that. If not all inclusive, food at the hotel is quite expensive. But there are restaurants accross the street.
Lunch at the La Isla on the beach was great.
We experienced a few problems with the Mikado restaurant. As all inclusive, all tips and taxes are included, but on our first night, the waiter at Mikado put a stamp saying that the tip was not included, so we left a 100 pesos bill as we weren't too sure. We checked with the reception later, and they confirmed everything is included. We went multiple times to Mikado (we are sushi/ sashimi lovers), and on our last night we again had a problem with the stamp for the tip. Also, the guy charged some items twice: again, as all inclusive, it didn't matter to us, but it probably did to him since he must be getting his tip directly from Marriott. The staff at the Mikado is also not too customer oriented: our last waiter was at the bar with other waiters and we had to wait and wave at him many many times before he would finnaly come and ask if we wanted and another drink or bring the bill.
In the other restaurants, service was great (Sasi, La Isla and La Capilla) (we didn't eat at Champions).
The staff speaks very well english and is very helpful (waiters, doormen,...).
The drinks were good, especially at the La Isla.
We took 2 full days excursions (Chichen Itza and Tulum/ XelHa) from the travel agency at the hotel. They were a little bit expensive (99$/ pers and 139$/pers, and 10% discount) but worth it overall.
Even with missing drinks during the day and lunch for these 2 days, the package was still worth it as each of our meals ended up being over 100$ and then there were the drinks.
The beach is nice but small (smaller than the pictures suggest), white sand but there are rocks. So if there are a lot of waves, the lifeguards will not allow you in the water. If you walk to te JW to the left, there aren't as many rocks, so you can enjoy the waves there, it is not as dangerous.
Internet is pretty expensive and bad: my husband still had to work and he paid for the internet but it wasn't working so he had to go to the reception to have the connection fixed.
The gym is nice for a hotel. But there aren't any mats or free weights (but a few dumbells).

If you plan on mostly staying at the hotel, enjoy food and drinks there, then the all inclusive package is well worth it. Overall, amazing experience!

• Liked — Everything! (ocean view, comfort/clean, room+ all inclusive in Marriott points = 0$ )
  • Disliked — Some problems with waiters at Mikado (tourist scam ?)
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank First_time_in_Venice
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2008

This is a fabulous upscale hotel that offers great value. My wife and I took a one week vacation and booked an AAA discount rate on Marriott’s website (www.marriott.com) which included a lovely garden view room and wholesome complete breakfast. We have seldom received such great value for a hotel centred vacation.

Here’s my plus minus assessment:
+efficient, practical airport transportation in an immaculate Chevrolet Suburban, setup in advance through the Concierge.
+large beautiful guest room with a great view of the Cancun lagoon. On check-in they offered us an upgrade to an ocean view room at an extra $30 per night which we declined.
+super comfortable bed
+37” flat screen TV by LG, with lots of English language programming
+terrific housekeeper, Angles
+doormen are very welcoming, offering cool towels and warm greetings.
+beautiful wall art and table sculptures throughout the common areas
+exceptionally clean hotel and neighbourhood.
+an easy bus ride to Wal Mart where we bought soda and snacks. Incidentally, Wal Mart offers the best internet service that we found. It’s speedy and inexpensive.
+our room fronted the street which parallels the lagoon but there was no street noise, only the buzz of the room’s temperature control system.
+great breakfast options including eggs (as you like ‘em), meat, fruit, melons, cereal, buns, pastries, etc.
+well equipped large fitness centre
+huge swimming pool with a swim-up bar and comfortable lounges, where I read 2 novels.
+great service from the Concierge who offered 15% discount cards for the various hotel restaurants; our two favorites were Simply Seafood and SaSi Thai.
+Service at Simply Seafood, which incidentally offers much more than just seafood was second to none and the ambience is wonderful.

-the temperature in lobby was cold enough to chill beef. Bring a sweater.
-no coffee in the guest rooms so we bought it at the gift shop at 220 pesos per cup.
-poor service at the Mikado restaurant the one and only time we went there.

Our list of short-comings is pretty skinny. This hotel offers great value and we heartily recommend it.

Stayed November 2008
9 Thank Maestro
Denver
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2008

My wife and I just got back from an amazing vacation at the Marriott. When you arrive at the hotel you are greeted with the most gracious door staff in all of Cancun. The insist on taking care of your every need and making your check in simple. Checking in is very painless and friendly with a full detail of all the hotel has to offer. Once we arrived in our room I was even more impressed with how amazingly clean this hotel was. The beds are perfect and will provide you with a great night of sleep. Once we left our room and ventured out I was impressed with everything else from the lobby bar, restaurants and the pool area. Seriously if you want to spend your hard earned money on somewhere else think twice!! You will not find a better hotel in Cancun and you can't put a price on the service you will receive while you stay here. Hands down the best place I have ever stayed in Mexico.

• Liked — The Service
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple