“Great Place to Stay” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Baltimore, Maryland
“Great Place to Stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2014

Not even sure where to start. This hotel was one of the nicest in which we have ever stayed. The marble lobby and great hall were beautiful with soaring ceilings and enormous chandeliers. The room was a good size and very well appointed, and perfectly clean. We didn't have what was considered a waterfront view, but we did have a view of the water anyway. The grounds of the property were expertly kept, and service, for the most part was great. The swim-up bar was a nice touch, and the pool and beach couldn't have been any better.

Our only hitch was a check-in. We arrived early and were told to come back at 4:00, which was fine. They provided a place for us to change and stored our luggage. However, when we came back at 4:00, our room wasn't ready, and we were asked to come back in 15 minutes. When we came back, our room still wasn't ready, so we had to stand around for awhile longer. That was the only blip.

Would highly recommend the Blue Gecko Cantina for a very informal lunch or dinner. This is about an eight block walk from the restaurant. The food was fantastic and the drinks were very good. The owner, it seems, is always there and is very honest about what dishes to order. My wife and I visited three times during our trip.

Room Tip: I am not sure there is a bad room in this hotel. Waterfront is nice, but if you can't afford th...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Scott W
MarriottCancun, Director of Rooms at CasaMagna Marriott Cancun Resort, responded to this review, March 14, 2014
Scott, thank you, we really enejoyed reading your review about the excellent service you received from the CasaMagna Marriott Cancun Resort's staff and that you also enjoyed the facilities, your room and restaurants. Your comment about not receiving your room on time, it has ben addresed and corrected so other guests do no have the same experience. Hope to welcome you back soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (912)
  • Hebrew first
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2014

I just came back from a perfect weekend!! the Marriot CasaMagna was great in every way possisble!
tI stayed at this hotel before Wilma, and I came back last weekend.
The hotel was beautiful as always, but way more improved...
the grounds of the hotel are very pretty and well keep, you can always see people cleaningm everything was spotless!!
THE HOTEL:
the grouds are so beautiful this hotel have a true mexican feeling, and that part i LOVE! we want to experience the coutry and this hotel will give you that for sure.
we got there early in the morning around 8:30am, by 10:00 am right after eating breakfast we had a room, check in was great, and the people where very nice and helpfull, like every person in the hotel, always greeting you with a smile! that makes a HUGE diference.
i paid $40 extra a night for an ocean view upgrande, well worth it... the views are spectacular! from your bed you can see that beautiful blue ocean in front of you... and the balcony in the morning was just the perfect way to start the day.... WHAT A VIEW!

THE ROOMS:
regular cozy Marriot rooms, SUPER comfy beds!!! and great pillows, good size, and loved the balcony. i really enjoy it!

THE POOL:
first thing is the pool is heated!!! so the temperature in the not so hot (around low 80's) weather was just perfect, specialy for kids.
the pool was beautiful, lots of chairs and umbrellas, and even the hotel was full we never had a problem finding a good spot.
the jacuzzi was a nice touch, warm enought to make you feel great.. and the view from the jacuzzi to the ocean is GREAT!!
THE BEACH:
plenty of beach chairs and umbrellas, great beach and service is very good at the beach bar. water was a little rought but is was great.

overall it was a perfect weekend spot, you cant go wrong with this hotel, i stayed i severals hotel in cancun and this one was on top of my list.

Room Tip: get a ocean view room!!
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank patty05
MarriottCancun, Public Relations Manager at CasaMagna Marriott Cancun Resort, responded to this review, March 6, 2014
It brings us great pleasure to learn about your experience at our CasaMagna Marriott Resort in Cancun. Thank you for sharing your memorable experience and for the great feedback regarding our facilities, great service and Mexican feel of the hotel. We take pride in what we do and it is always pleasant to hear these efforts do not go unnoticed. We truly appreciate your comments and we thank you for your preference. Please come again and try out our different restaurant concepts located in both the JW Marriott Cancun Resort & Spa and the CasaMagna Marriott Cancun! Many thanks.
Buffalo, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2014

Our stay was Feb 19- Feb 26 2014.

The beach is very beautiful & the housekeeping staff is great. Maria left towel animal's in our room daily. That was something different for me. Since, I stay at Marriott's very often, I expected nothing less than exceptional service.

My only complaint is that I would have liked it to be a little less American. It was my first trip to Cancun and the area around the hotel did not seem like Mexico to me. The best meal was at El Pescado Ciego, downtown Cancun.

I would have liked some local live music. There was a singer in the lounge,one night,who sounded Mexican but she sang America songs and the music was recorded. We watched a short time but did not stay for a drink.

I watched a documentary on Marriott's recently and know they are trying to keep people in the hotel to spend their money. I suggest good nightly entertainment. Maybe there was entertainment at the JW Marriott? I would have loved to have a few cocktails and listen to some Latin or Caribbean music & dancing. We were a little old to go downtown to a club that opened late.

The restaurants were expensive,as expected, and La Capilla and Sasi Thai were both excellent. My friend said La Capilla had the best salad bar ever. On the hand, I have much better sushi at airport fast food than at Mikado.

I could hardly drink the coffee in from the gift shop because it was very weak even though it was labeled as dark roast. I tried the JW Marriott but it was weak too.

Overall it was a nice vacation.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Clarion, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2014

Enjoyed the week long stay in Casa Magna Resort, purchased the breakfast with the room better value this way, a few things I didn't like was not having a fridge in room or coffee maker. If you plan on excursions to Tulum, Xel HA, etc I suggest you stay closer to those areas or ask about what kind of transportation will be used Tulum/Coba trip was long and being a taller person, felt squashed like sardines in a van that the A/C was not working well in 80-85 degree heat for 1 1/2- 2 hrs. Also don't purchase your excursions without reviewing with several options to get your best deal, and be prepared the flea market is a big rip off, check Walmart and shops at Flamingo Mall near Margaritaville Restaurant better deals and don't accept the tequila shots before you make purchases they manipulate by booze and constant hounding @ flea market area. Scammers!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Jacbsmith
st paul
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2014

Very simply we won't go back again.
We started off on the wrong foot...tried to get the CasaMagna shuttle at the airport and we were told we had to pay even though we had free airport transportation included in the reservation. We tried to convince the shuttle people we had a reservation but they just laughed and said we'd have to pay. (Be sure to have a copy of your reservation with you) When we mentioned it at check-in at the hotel, the clerk barely shrugged his shoulders and said nothing. Checking-in itself took 40 minutes of our precious time. There weren't any problems other than the brief discussion of the airport transportation, it was just a slow process with not enough clerks.
The room was ok, some mold spots on the bedding (we hope) and fairly clean otherwise. The balcony was very big and nice, a great angled view of the gulf. The wifi in the room was mediocre at best, don't count on it for anything other than basic slow browsing.
The hotel was very nice, grounds and pool were well taken care of and the beach was okay, fun for the kids.
The prices at the hotel and all around the area were outrageous at the least. We checked out the McDonalds across the street just for fun and were shocked that a cheeseburger was $4.13!
Drinks and food for 4 at the adjacent Marriott were steep as well, expect to spend a lot of money for food. And the complimentary bottle of wine with our reservation was not in our room as we've experienced at other hotels, it was complimentary only at the over-priced hotel restaurants.
And to end the trip just as it started, when presented the bill at check-out, I noticed they charged us for airport transportation! I pointed it out to the clerk who quickly took the charge off but after what happened at the airport I was angry that what was supposed to be a relaxing vacation became a something a little more tense.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank j k
MarriottCancun, Front Office Manager at CasaMagna Marriott Cancun Resort, responded to this review, March 4, 2014
We sincerely apologize for the inconveniences that you experienced on your last stay at the CasaMagna Marriott with the transportation and the check in process. We use your valuable comments to prevent for this to happen again. Our goal is ensuring our guest’s satisfaction, unfortunately, we did not meet your expectations. We would like to regain your trust and hope to serve you again in the future.
Jakarta, Indonesia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2014

I stayed for more than two weeks in this hotel. The service was excellent! The housekeeping staf (Pedro) made my towels into cute animals most of the time (he made me an elephant, a duck, an alligator, a pig, and a dog). The restaurant manager was very helpful when I needed to store my breastmilk in the deep-freezer. This is a very surprising thing, since i had many rejectiona from other hotels whenever I needed to store my breastmilk in the hotel freezwr. The manager provided me with a plasric box big enough to store all of my milk, wrote my name and room number, and gave me his personal contact number so I could call him whenever I needed to add some more milk to store.

The room was really big, it could accommodate four adults or two adults and two children easily. The beach property was well kept and well guarded. The hotel pools were big enough to accmmodate the guests and the special children pool helped accomodate noisy children away from rwlaxing adults. The check in counter people were quick to check me in and then to check me out as well. The restaurant was nice and the food was delicious. The only drawnback was the breakfast menu. It didn't change at all for the whole two weeks I was staying there.

Overall, CasaMagna does live up to its name. It is a big, comfortable and hospitable castle for families looking for a nice place to stay during holiday.

Room Tip: All rooms are nice. However, avoid tooms nearer to the pools as the pool stays open until late and i...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2014

Just home from a week at Casa Magna Marriott . My husband attended a conference, I relaxed and enjoyed the beautiful beaches and pools. We have stayed here 3 times in the past 12 years, the property is showing its age but is beautifully maintained and the staff is top notch. Every person we dealt with was helpful and pleasant. I'm not a breakfast person, so I can't review breakfast. I ate lunch at the pool and dinner at the Argentinian Steakhouse (amazing!!) or room service. poolside lunch was great...I especially loved the grilled grouper and salad with tomato, avocado and jicama....delicious!!!! Pool drinks are tasty, a little weak..... service is quick and the servers are charming and attentive.

Plenty of lounges and umbrellas at the pool. Tons of lounges on the beach, but a short supply of tiki huts, no umbrellas. My only negative experience was the usual "reserved" lounge issue........with absentee "tenants" who don't actually use the reserved spots for half a day, while others hunt for shade.

The beach is gorgeous. Clear blue water, no seaweed, warm and wonderful! There were lots of children, mostly well behaved and well supervised. Lots of happy families!

Room Tip: Most rooms have ocean view
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business