“Perfect Hotel”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Los Angeles, California
“Perfect Hotel”
Reviewed February 23, 2014

I went once in the summer of 2010 and again during winter of 2012. Both times my family stayed here and we loved it.

Its right in the hotel zone has a great pool and great decor.

Rooms were spacious and very clean, In 2012 our room was towards the back of the hotel (away from the beach view) and we figured what the heck, and upgraded to a room with ocean view ( the ocean was right outside our second floor balcony (for around 100 bucks more (we were staying 5 nights, averaged about 20 something extra a night).

The only negative thing that I can think of is that the ocean water both times I went was either a little too rough or too much seaweed was coming in (but that problem is in the entire hotel zone due to the actual location) My cousins, who live in Cancun explained that around Playa del Carmen the water was calmer(but i didnt really see a difference). Either way it was beautiful and clear all the time. And quite honestly I would rather swim in the pool with my mojito (Gosh! that mojito they make is soooo good and stomach soothing)

We had chosen this hotel because we wanted to be in the hotel zone and because of the price (the other hotels next to this one are more expensive, like the Ritz Carlton) but quality is the same as this one honestly.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (958)
  • Hebrew first
Mukilteo, Washington
Reviewed February 23, 2014

This was our first trip to Cancun and it was made quite enjoyable by staying at this property. I've seen a few people grouse about this that or the other, but my wife and I (60s) found this an exceptional value. We often stay at Marriotts because we know what we'll get - and this was no exception.

There were young couples, families, singles and older people like us there. As noted elsewhere, the property adjoins the adjacent JW Marriott Resort. Although we had the hotel arrange for us to have a van pick us up, the price point from the airport is the same via taxi. When we stayed there the last week of January, we took advantage of the Sand Dollar promotion which included every fourth night free, a daily $50 resort credit, spa discount and free Wi-Fi in the room included.

Restaurant food is spendy at the resort. We ate at the Sedona Grill in the JW our first night. Food was excellent, but expect to pay what you would for a high end restaurant in an urban U.S. city. We also ate at the Thai restaurant which was somewhat more reasonable but the food was average at best. The best find in food on the property, however, were the convenience stores at the Casa Magna and JW. Sandwiches and salads were quite good - if you are a Marriott Rewards member, you get an additional 10% discount off store purchases. The other food we'd recommend is the pool bar/café. The seafood tacos/tostadas and other fare are good. Just be careful about running up a bar tab!

Across from the resort on the Blvd. Kukulcan are a McDonald's, Papa Johns, 7-11 and Oxxo convenience store. Everything is cheaper there and, of course, if you have a penchant for that kind of food, not a bad deal. We ordered a PJ large pizza one night and it came to the same as purchasing one here at home with the same quality. BTW, you really don't have to bother exchanging your dollars - they are accepted everywhere in the so-called hotel zone as well as many other places.

The bus is so cheap to get around on up-and-down the boulevard - $1.50 USD (roundtrip) - and you can quickly get to the Island Center shopping plaza which has a lot of familiar shops and places like Starbucks or you can go further into town if you like.

The staff at the CasaMagna was very nice and helpful. One thing you may not realize is that the waiters, housekeepers, bell staff and such make 1,800 - 2,000 pesos/month, so they have a strong need to supplement their income from tips. We had great waitstaff and our housekeeping attendant Hector was so very nice and gracious. He made different animals from hand towels for us daily - I'm sure he's a big hit with families!

The rooms are clean, the view of the Gulf/Caribbean is mesmerizing. The beach area does have vendors going up and down it selling everything from cigars and jewelry to watersports and trips, but we didn't find them annoying or intrusive. If you understand that you're in another country and have decent manners, it's a great place to be regardless of age.

Room Tip: Our room had a view of the water and the adjacent JW Marriott Resort. However, I think the ones fac...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Tampa
Reviewed February 23, 2014

This hotel has a wonderful beach and pool area and a friendly attentive staff. One or two gaffes prevented me from calling it a perfect hotel.

The property is situated on the Gulf of Mexico, about a 20 minute ride from the airport. Check-in was smooth, even though the computer system was down all week.

The room was large, clean and had a large balcony overlooking the pool and gulf. The bed was comfortable and there were plenty of toiletries in the bathroom. The bath towels are large and absorbent. The room had an iron and pullout couch along with my king sized bed. The room has limited electrical outlets. Bring a three pronged adapter if you have lots of phones, computers, etc. to charge. It also did NOT have a coffee maker for complimentary coffee.

The pool, hot tub, pool bar, beach, etc. are the highlights of this property. If a relaxing time in the sun, with attentive staff to serve you is your goal, this is the place for you!

If you want fine dining, you may be disappointed. We ate at two of the five restaurants on property. The Japanese steakhouse had very good food, but very bad service. So bad, the manager ended up knocking 30% off our bill. Side dishes came out 15 minutes before main courses. Sushi was served without soy sauce or wasabi. After asking for soy sauce three times, I finally went and searched for it myself. In fact, three rimes I had to leave the table to go search for something that should have been delivered promptly by the server. However, I'm willing to give the restaurant credit for decent sushi and cooked meals. AND the manager was apologetic about the service.

The service and food were both exquisite in the Argentinean Steakhouse. Fantastic salad bar, mouth watering steaks, decently priced wine and the best apple pie I have ever tasted. However, towards the end of our meal, I noticed small sugar ants crawling all over the table. Again management was very apologetic. We were whisked to another table, and the bill was adjusted 30% to compensate for our troubles.

Both experiences may be isolated and we may have been unlucky, however, this site is set up to warn travelers of potential problems. You have been warned.

All in all, this is a very nice hotel. I had two problems that prevented me from giving it a perfect rating. However, it was close.

Room Tip: If you want to save money on beer, liquor, water, soda, etc., there are convenience stores right acr...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank TVDad
New York City
Reviewed February 22, 2014

Spent two nights (Feb 13 & 14) and, as Rewards Members, paid minimum rate but were upgraded to room on high floor in north wing facing pools and ocean. Hotel was full but no problem finding beach or pool lounges in the morning (by 9AM). Plenty of towels handed out, without "towel cards." Hotel sits on stunning beach, and has plenty of free palapas and umbrellas for guest use.

Dined one night at the Argentine Restaurant, but had only salad bar. Tasty and plentiful. Breakfast buffet was more than adequate, and satisfying. Egg/omelette station, fresh fruits, good variety of international and Mexican selections.

Room was well-maintained, and turn down service was excellent.

Other restaurants on site, which we inspected but did not try, included a Thai, a Benihana type place, and a Champions Sports Bar (which did not seem especially inviting in appearance).
What is lacking, of course, is a simple sit-down coffee shop sort of place - but that seems a constant shortcoming at many resorts nowadays.

Check-in and out went smoothly. Free convenient parking for our rental car.

We liked CasaMagna more than the neighboring JW Mariott, the high end Ritz Carlton, and the Hyatt Regency. We hope to return.

Room Tip: north wing rooms facing pool, have excellent ocean views and sunny balconies
1 Thank 360traveller
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed February 20, 2014

Just returned from a fabulous 5-day stay at the Casa Magna Marriott. From check-in to check-out, everything was outstanding.
- We booked the room direct from the Marriott web site and got a great rate for a "resort view" - $188/night + 4th night free + $50 per day resort credit ... works out to about $100 per night. We were considering some all inclusives - but they were in the $250 - 300 per night range. At the all-inclusives, you typically pay a big premium for endless amounts of mediocre buffet food and the priviledge to drink excessively.
- Prior to arrival, I sent an e-mail to the concierge requesting a higher level floor and mentioned it was our anniversary. They put us on the 3rd floor which had a huge balcony overlooking the JW Marriott pool and and a good view of the beach. They also adorned the room with rose petals and provided champagne and chocolate covered strawberries in honor of our anniversary - very nice touch.
- The room was good sized, with a king bed. Very clean and good amenities.
- The staff was wonderful - charming, friendly, and very accomodating.
- Great beach with plenty of chairs. It is in the middle of the hotel zone - not too crazy, not too isolated.
- Only one pool, but we never had a problem finding a poolside chair.
- Restaurants and bars were all good - perhaps a bit expensive, but the $50 resort credit helped to ease the sting a bit. We had dinners at Sasi Thai and Sendona Grill (next door at JW Marriott - and you can charge to your room). Breakfast at LaCapilla or the lobby coffee shop. Lunch was usually at the beach and pool bars. We did leave the resort for a handful of meals - sometimes walking, sometimes taking the bus.
- Check out is noon and our flight home was not until 6pm. We were able to store our luggage with the bellman, hang out for another four hours, and use the spa to shower and change before we headed to the airport.
Overall, Great experience, highly recommend, and I would consider returning.

Room Tip: 3rd Floor has oversize balcony. Our "Resort View" overlooked JW Marriott and had a nice vi...
2 Thank Chris0329
Brookline, New Hampshire
Reviewed February 20, 2014

I stayed here for two months. Very polite staff, spacious, grand location, ate at the Argentinian restaurant, great food. I was here for Christmas eve and ordered room service as you had to make reservations at all the restaurants in advance and I didn't feel like I missed out. Great food delivered to my room on a nice linen lined table with all the amenities. Really felt like I had the restaurant in my hotel room which was overlooking the beach. I went to bed lulled by the sound of waves. I have stayed here in the past where we had breakfast buffet in the morning and it was wonderful. Enjoyed the beach, pool and the workout rooms the 6 times I stayed here, 2 months in a row.It really felt like home away from home.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Byron S
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed February 20, 2014

The room we had was not ocean front but had a nice ocean view slightly to the side. All of the rooms have balconies which is very nice. There is not a coffee maker in the room so to avoid the very pricey coffee in the gift shop I called housekeeping and got an electric tea pot and cups to make our own instant Via (or tea). The room itself was fine though a bit crowded. Good bed, air conditioning etc. We had no issues with noise or housekeeping. They respected the privacy sign. Wifi in the room is pricey-$90USD for the week. We found the lunch at the pool to be very good. If you want, you can go to the 7-11 and get beer cans for $14MD vs $75MD at the pool bar and water for $7MD vs $55MD. The gift shop has very tasty empanadas and muffins. Restaurant wise, I'd avoid Champions. Very noisy and my burger was like a puck. Our best meal was at the Sedona Grill at the JW. Next time I will get the package that includes breakfast. I was told that it is excellent but $25USD per person. I would go back to this hotel

1 Thank wj60304