“great beach location, wonderful pool!”

CasaMagna Marriott Cancun Resort
Ranked #16 of 181 Hotels in Cancun
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Cypress, Texas
“great beach location, wonderful pool!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2012

I have stayed at the CasaMagna over the past 8 years numerous times, but I always forget to write a review! The hotel has changed over the years some but it is still a great beach location on the "Hotel Zone" and not far from Cancun International Airport.
Rooms: rate ok, my only complaint is that the beds are rather hard & ALL of the pillows are flat. VERY FLAT! I bring one from home is what I do now. Some rooms overlook the pool area, some face the ocean or have partial ocean views, and some of what they term the "garden view" face the side of the building next to it, but there is some greenery below your room. Balconies vary by floor and some are large while others are small, but there isn't really any furniture for sitting outside in solace. This past weekend I only had 2 small "yard type" chairs with no sitting table. All rooms open out to the atrium area and you are only steps from the pool and ocean front.
Pool/Hot tub: very large pool and hot tub, and I never had a problem finding a place to sit. However if it during busier times, I have come down and had to separate from my party to all be all to have a lounge chair.
Food: I have mixed reviews. For the most part it is very good, EXPENSIVE but not too bad. The only restaurant that seems to have faltered over the years is Champions Sports Bar located on the property. The mixed drinks are way overpriced and not strong. However, beer is of a comparable price. The food can I can take or leave. Sometimes it's great, some times it is cold or tasteless. The karaoke is fun, but since the theme is Sports and there are loud big screen t.v.s ALL over the place, I have only had a chance to do the karaoke twice in 8 years. When the place is full of sports fans, the DJ doesn't really want to have the karaoke.
The gift shop is great for quick snacks/ice cream, and coffee. THERE ARE NO COFFEE MAKERS IN THE ROOMS! But what is sold in the gift show is ok.
The J.W. Marriott sits right next door, but it always seems busier so I always choose the CasaMagna since it is much more quieter.

Room Tip: Partial or Ocean view. Overlooking the pool, especially during busier months can get to be a little...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (926)
  • Hebrew first
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2012

We were married in Feb. 2010 and I am so late writing this review. The event was amazing and the help provided to us by Francisco "Frank" and Mariel was unmatched. We initially toured the property in July 2009 with Mariel and she stayed well beyond her clock out time to make sure we had all of our questions answered.

We loved the place and were undecided but we eventually chose the Casa Magna to get married. Frank has been in the business for about 20 years and the day of our event was like unbelievable. He had everyone on time (even me!) and according to schedule! Our families loved the location and the professionalism of Frank and the staff of the Marriott. Our wedding was about 40 people and it even fell on the date of my nieces 4th birthday. I remember some weeks before the wedding I emailed Frank to ask if we could pay for a special birthday cake for her the day before the wedding and in all the rush I forgot to follow up. Well Frank did not forget, the night of the reception instead of the wedding cake for my niece, he had specially made a small birthday cake for her at no charge to us. Amazing!

Also, the best part of the deal was that I set up a time to taste/select our menu for the wedding reception. This part blew me away. Frank had tables prepared in a special room for us just like they would be the night of the wedding. He had about 8 different ways to fold the napkins! The food was amazing and the highlight of the night. Our guests loved it and it was NOT YOUR TYPICAL chicken dinner! We had the sea bass and steak option. I don't recall the exact name but BOTH I could tell were made by chef's and not some random guy in mass production.

I LOVED THIS PLACE and the service they gave to us and our family. This is not to say that we didn't have hiccups along the way but every time we had any issue it was quickly resolved by either Frank or Mariel and we are determined to sing their praises!

If you plan on getting married here - DO IT! Take a tour, meet the staff and ask a million questions. Its a quiet intimate place with out the hustle of the all-inclusive hotels and the 24-7 party atmosphere.

Unfortunately, I can't select the time I traveled here cause it's old but they need the props for such an awesome hotel and service. The spa was amazing and the breakfast they had each morning was so NOT continental!!

Room Tip: The beds are the best to sleep on!! If you can get a room with a view and go to sleep with the sound...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank gaelina
Rockford, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2012

We loved this place so much, that my wife and I did not feel the need to leave the resort at all for our 3 night stay! Each restaurant we went to had amazing food, and excellent service. The rooms were clean, the pool and beach were maintained and wonderful. And, you could use the amenities of the attached JW Marriott! Can't wait to go back.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank P T
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2012

We had a family vacation at the Casa Magna in September. The experience was fantastic. I loved the location, delicious food and a great beach. Not to mention, the staff were excellent and super polite.

Here are a couple of tips however. I was debating whether to stay at the JW versus Casa Magna (about a $40 per night difference). Both share the same property ground and you can certainly go into either hotel restaurants and pool area (atleast I did and when I asked if it was ok, they said ok). Secondly, avoid booking tours through the hotels, Go to the mall opposite the Westin, about a 5 min bus ride away, and buy the tickets for about half the price (really!). Our experience booking through the mall tours was great. The only caveat they pick you up around 7.30 AM and aggregate you at the main hub and then push off.

I also need to mention the breakfast buffet at the La Capella Grill. You have 5-6 fresh juices to choose from, over a dozen varieties of bread and cheese, made to order eggs, the most amazing spiced hot chocolate ever, pancakes, waffles and even Asia food - Thai curry, springrolls..

We were upgraded to a premier sea facing room. It is worth spending the extra dollars on this as at night you can leave the balcony door open and sleep to the pleasant sound of the sea and feel the breeze.

Highly recommend the Marriott for any traveler.

Room Tip: If you are an elite member, you can get upgraded to a better room on arrival.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Travelllholic
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2012

the casamagna hotel was such a wonderful place to stay for the two blissful weeks we had there. we were treated like celebrities and given the most incredible room upgrade for a ridiculously small supplement. some other reviews for this hotel, state that an ocean view room is not worth the money you pay for an upgrade- we begged to differ! It was utterly breathtaking to take in the views we had! we managed to bag ourselves one of only 15 full frontal ocean view rooms(as it was low season oct 2012) and was stunned every day by the parnoramic view we had every day!
the staff were all incredibly helpful and friendly.
the facilities were great inc the spa and gym.
the pool was very sociable and made for a lovely day of relaxation.

the food we had to room service was incredible! the nights we were too tired to party, we;d snuggle up on the bed in our marriott robes and watch tv on the plasma screen with the ocean sounds and views beyond through our balcony. It was honestly the most beautiful hotel experience ive ever had.

the only downside was that in off peak season, they seem to hold lots of conferances which mean up to around 1000 guest suddenly descend uopn your paradise and kinda spoil it a little for us true tourists. however, we mostly managed to book days out on those days to avoid the "busy" pool and beach.

overall, we couldn't have asked for a better experience and would love to go back!

Room Tip: stay room only if you want to go out exploring the local cuisine. otherwise you are very restircted...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2012

The Casa Magna Resort was absolutely amazing! The staff all greeted us with a "Welcome Home" as we first arrived. Aldo at the front desk was SUPERB! I will definitely let his managers know of the great job he did in helping to make our trip significantly more special! I'm the type of person that likes to try different places instead of doing the same thing over an over but I can honestly say that I have NO desire to stay anywhere else but the CasaMagna when im in Cancun from now on!

• Stayed October 2012
Tucson AZ
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2012

The first issue is that I paid for a premium beach view. I define this as having a window parallel to the beach. This hotel defines it as being orthogonal to the beach. I could only see about 50% of the beach area, which made it hard to keep a eye on my teens on the beach while also tending to my wife who was ill in our room. The second issue is that they charge you extra amenity. In this day and age, I don't consider internet access something that a 4 four star hotel would charge extra for. The lobby is very impressive. The main dining room was closed for renovations. I would not recommend this hotel to others. I'm not an expert on the Mexican Riviera, but I'm hoping there are better options.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family