“Uncle Gnarly is gnarly!!”

Gnarly's Surf School
More attraction details
Owner description: You and the ENTIRE FAMILY can learn to surf in Cancun, in ONE EASY LESSON! Whether you've never surfed before and have always dreamed of learning, or if you want to improve on your existing surfing skill set, the instructors at Gnarly's Surf School and the waves at the beaches in Cancun cater to surfers of ALL ages and experience! Cancun's beaches year-round beautiful blue waters have the best waves in the world for learning how to surf! Our classes and camps consist of a truly unique and personalized surf instruction, right here on Cancun's most beautiful beaches! Our professional surf photographers and experienced instructors are right there in the water with you, guiding you through every wave. The main focus of our sessions is surfing instruction and water-safety, while still having a blast! Gnarly's Surf School's VIP Packages are all-inclusive, including pick-up from the lobby of your hotel! All you have to bring is your positive attitude, and the sunscreen! We provide surfing lessons in different packages to accomodate individuals, couples, families, or other groups of the enlightened who want to learn this amazing art form. All surf lessons are custom; Beginner, Intermediate, or Advanced, we will guide you through an amazing, safe, and life-changing adventure! Whether it's having the confidence to start surfing, or trying to attain a higher knowledge and skill-set to reach the next step in your surfing game, you will have exclusive surf instruction and an amazing experience on a beautiful beach in Cancun, and GUARANTEED TONS OF FUN!!!
Toronto, Canada
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Uncle Gnarly is gnarly!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2014

Had a great time! Up and surfing so there isn't much more to say, but I will...

I met Uncle Gnarly for an individual lesson, but I was joined up with another newbie which was no big deal. The price was reduced but that wouldn't have mattered either way. From the second we met Gnarly we knew we were in for a good time, regardless of the surfing! He made us feel at ease and was awesome with a touch of a salty tongue :)

Started on a 12 ft board and then moved to the smaller 9.5ft board as I progressed. I got a little braver and tried going out farther out, into larger waves, as the tide came in. Some successful some not but I finished on a high note!

Next time in Cancun I'll be taking another lesson. Thanks Uncle Gnarly!

Prior Lake, Minnesota
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Uncle Gnarly Rocks!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2014

We scheduled a surfing lesson with Surf 360 and Uncle Gnarly showed up. What a treat!! My 12 year old daughter got up right away and surfed until she could barely stand. He is a GREAT teacher and a ton of fun to be around.... very encouraging and funny!! Next time we are in Cancun we will be sure to schedule another lesson with him.

Calgary, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Be ready to have some fun!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2014

Stumbled upon this page while looking for a place that offered surfing lessons in Cancun. After a few email exchanges, we were picked up at our hotel two days later by Gnarly and Angie, who were both beyond friendly and assured us that we would have the time of our lives.

After a five-minute briefing on the basics and postures, we were in the water catching our first wave. We could not have asked for a better location to learn as the waves were mellow and the waist-deep water beautiful and clear. Gnarly was in the water with us the whole time, pushing us out to catch wave after wave. He attempted to teach me a trick, which, unfortunately, I failed to pull off. We were lucky to have caught the brief window before the storm came in, as it stirred up some rough water and brought in a hoard of fish, one even jumped onto our board!

Gnarly had a deep passion for surfing, and he was equally as passionate about passing on the love for the sport to those he encounters. Learning to surf has always been on my bucket list but Gnarly’s energy and enthusiasm has encouraged me to continue to pursue surfing as a lifelong hobby!

Visited December 2013
Toronto, Canada
“Uncle Gnarly was awesome.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2014

Found it online. Went. Had an awesome time. Uncle Gnarly was a great teacher. I will definitely always remember to put my "wang on the line". Really fun day at the beach!

Washington DC, District of Columbia
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“GET UP!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2014

Like some other reviewers visiting Cancun in this timeframe, I booked through 360 Surf but was paired with Gnarly because of Dave's foot injury. Just before I arrived, a local youngster Gnarly was teaching accidentally broke Gnarly's nose with his head. Did Gnarly cancel my lesson? No way, let's surf! Gnarly was an absolute riot and super-knowledgeable. After a few minutes of simple and straightforward land instruction, he had me marching out to the waves. I always felt safe in his hands, and when you hear him scream "Get Up!" behind you, it's pretty compelling. I also loved his genuine devotion to the water. And, did I mention his marvelous assistants? Their enthusiasm and encouragement was intense, as was Gnarly's.

Bottom-line: Chalk up another new lifetime surfer in Gnarly's Surf School column.

Visited December 2013