“Nothing but the Best!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Always Diving & Water Sports

Always Diving & Water Sports
More attraction details
Owner description: AlwaysDiving is located at the Embarcadero Caribbean Carnaval in Playa Tortugas Km 6.5 at the Hotel Zone in Cancun (map available on our website).We have been providing tours for divers and non divers in Cancun and Riviera Maya for over 32 years and we love what we do (we understand that not everyone on the family does scuba diving).If you need personalized assistance visit us, or call our TOLL FREE number.Here is a list of activities we can provide you.-Scuba Diving and Snorkeling in Cancun and Isla Mujeres.-Diving lessons and Certifications at all levels.-Special dives for advanced divers.-Whale Sharks Sighting.-Fishing.-Parasailing.-Wave Runners.-Jungle Tour.We believe in making friends not customers. You have just a little bit of time to being here in PARADISE, our GOAL is to make this time unforgettable.Sincerely,AlwaysDiving Team
Kamloops, Canada
3 attraction reviews
“Nothing but the Best!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2014

Alvaro at AlwaysDiving in Cancun provides me with great diving experiences every time (ie. Bull shark dives, cenotes, wrecks). I am an advanced open water diver and have experienced many dive companies in many areas and without a doubt, Alvaro is heads above other dive masters. He is extremely knowledgeable, meticulous, and patient, particularly with new divers and those who want to upgrade their skills. AlwaysDiving provides small group (usually around 4 divers) excursions...unlike many other dive companies that pack you into a boat and rush you through procedures without the personal touch that Alvaro provides. He is passionately committed to provide the most positive dive experiences to his customers. I heartily recommend Alvaro at AlwaysDiving for great diving experiences whether you are a novice or advanced diver.

Visited February 2014
Alvaro G, Owner at Always Diving & Water Sports, responded to this review, March 9, 2014
Thanks so much for your comment my friend, I just like to do what I do in the best way as possible, like scuba diving should to be, this is not a job it's a joy.

• Polish first
Irvine, California
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Not so great...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2014

I read all the excellent reviews before I decided to go with Always Diving. I emailed Alvaro a month in advance to find out more information, pricing, etc. He was very helpful and always returned my emails in a timely fashion. I felt comfortable booking a 2 tank wreck dive in Cancun with him. He indicated he would be our dive master for the dives and promised an excellent experience.

The day of my dives he called me at the hotel indicating he hurt his foot. In turn, he would have to send a counterpart to dive with my party of 3. No problem. Stuff happens. I get it. So, we meet up at the dive shop and meet with the dive master, go through our dive/safety plan, and he gets us fitted with our equipment. We head out on the boat and we arrive at the dive site. This is when things go terribly wrong. Normally, I put together my dive gear, check the equipment, and cross check my dive buddies gear. This did not happen as the dive master said to us clearly he had already checked everything. Big mistake on our parts. We dive in the water and right away there is a strong current when we were told on the boat by the captain/dive master that the current was not too bad. I get it current is hard to predict. We get on our way towards the wreck and because of the current it took us 15 mins to get there. My dive buddies had already been signaling to the dive master at 1000 PSI as well as 700 PSI. The dive master told us clearly during our dive plan that we would ascend at 1000 PSI. This did not happen. We stayed another 5 mins at the wreck and began to ascend for our safety stop.

From this point is the scary part. My dive buddy had not realized that the regulator was leaking in water. He was basically swallowing water or drowning slowly. At the safety stop, he was not getting air through his regulator and the dive master provided his secondary source. Unfortunately, at this point panic is setting in for my dive buddy and he signals that he has to go up. So, we ascend. My buddy gets on the boats and is violently vomiting water over the side of the boat. From there he is pretty much done for the day. The dive master was very apologetic. I appreciated his empathy but I felt he was too relaxed in his dive master skills.

I will explain why I felt he was too laxed. We proceeded to the next dive. My other buddy and I go in with the dive master. Don't get me wrong the reef was beautiful with tons of large fish, shark, turtle, and even barracuda. My buddy again is signaling at 1000 PSI, but for some reason we do not ascend. He again signals at 700 PSI, and at that point we ascend. And again, if you tell me during our dive plan,we are going to ascend at 1000 PSI why are we not sticking to the plan?

There are two kickers to this day. One, I asked the dive master if we will meet Alvaro. I mean I just wanted to put a face to the name. He proceeds to tell me that Alvaro went on a Cenotes dive. Wait...did he not call me and tell me he hurt his foot the same morning. Which is it? Two, my dive buddy who did not dive after the first dive was in really bad shape after we got off the boat. He was slow moving and he was complaining that his lungs hurt when he was trying to breathe. He also had shortness of breath. At the end of the day, I was afraid for his health and took him to the emergency room in Downtown Cancun. Luckily, the Dr gave an okay on his condition but he was laid up in his hotel room with a fever and possible infection to his lungs from drinking so much salt water the rest of the trip.

I emailed Alvaro before I posted this review to get his take. He confirmed that mistakes were made on these dives. Costly ones. I asked him to refund our monies to go towards the hospital costs. Crickets. No response. So, would I recommend this dive shop? No...

Visited November 2013
3 Thank On K
Alvaro G, Propietario at Always Diving & Water Sports, responded to this review, February 21, 2014
Thanks for your comment, I went to cenotes as a DRIVER not as a diver, I was hurt my foot, sometimes, because of the ocean conditions, we have to take decisions that can make change the dive plan. So sorry about it.
Plainfield, Illinois
“He made me a diver!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2014

Many many many thanks to Alvaro for making me a diver! I had begun my PADI certification at home in Illinois and completed my open water dives in Cancun. My fiance had been certified and I pretty much signed up because of him, ok I ONLY signed up because of him, I was terrified! If someone even said the work "shark" I pretty much had a mini anxiety attack on the spot! Within moments of meeting Alvaro he put me at ease. He didn't just tell me "don't worry" he actually educated me and helped me to understand why I don't need to fear them. He said the only place you will ever see horrific shark attacks is in Hollywood! I initially felt bad about my fiance having to "tag along" while I finished my checkout dives (since he's already certified) but it wasn't that way at all, we both had fun and enjoyed each experience! Our second day of diving was a trip to Cozumel, it was just a life changing experience! It truly made the experience being with someone so knowledgeable and FUN! What really hit us at the end of the day was when he told us "I'm not here to make clients, I'm here to make friends." We had so much fun and learned so much diving with Alvaro, we will definitely be back again to visit and dive with our friend from paradise! I might even go on a shark dive next time (MAYBE)!

1 Thank MissyDG65
Thanks so much for your comment señorita, the people learn in different ways, as a dive instructor we have to find the way that works with each person, through these 33 years I have been teaching diving, I have studied different techniques of education and ensure that everyone learns at their own pace, I LOVE WHAT I DO!!!
See you next time.
Long Beach, New York
“AMAZING”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2014

Yet again diving with Alvaro proves to be a most incredible experience. His knowledge of the water and wisdom of the world are only second to his warmth as a person. He treats you not as a client but rather a friend, if not family.
My wife and I look forward each year to diving with Alvaro, where I know I will see and experience new things as well as meet some new and fascinating people.
I can not say enough about Alvaro and his team, therefore I suggest you take a trip and see for yourself.
Jonathan & Re

1 Thank Jonathan G
Hey Jonathan, thanks for your comment my friend, attitude makes the difference, we create a friendly atmosphere that results in everyone feel diving with friends, See you next time my friend and, please, give my best regards to Re.
Boise, Idaho
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Experience of a Lifetime”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2014

Muchas gracias to Alvaro and his team. I had the opportunity to dive three sites with Always Diving on my recent trip to Cancun; Cozumel, Cenote Chac Mool, and a Bull Shark dive. Each dive was amazing in its own way. The Cenote dive is truly life changing. Alvaro really does treat you as a friend and not just a customer and I look forward to making another trip to Cancun in the future. He was patient with a diver in our group that needed a little extra attention and gauged each of our experience levels to ensure everyone had truly enjoyable dives regardless of experience level. I cannot recommend Alvaro highly enough and suggest that you give him a call if you are planning a trip to Cancun or Playa del Carmen. You will not regret it.

Casey

1 Thank Casey H
Muchas gracias for your comment Casey, I just love what I do, I know the divers just have some days of vacations, it's my responsability to be sure you'll have a great experience, see you next time.