JW Marriott Cancun Resort & Spa
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Hard Rock Hotel Cancun(Cancun)
Paradisus Cancun(Cancun)
  • Beachfront
4,757 results
All reviewssedona grillcasa magnabeachwalk restaurantclub staffindoor poolbreakfast buffetplatinum memberthe ritzclub levelbeautiful propertyper daylounge chairshotel zonepoolside servicepool staffocean viewturn down service
FilterAll languages
Reviewed December 29, 2004

we just returned from a magnificent stay at the j.w.marriott.
the beach was just gorgeous with waiter service. the pools were absolutely beautiful with great service as well. the rooms were very nice. we had an ocean view which was breathtaking. i would have liked to upgrade to a larger room, but being the x-mas- new years week, nothing available. the bathroom was great with lots of room.
the restaurants varied. i loved the breakfast buffet at cafe salsa and
the mikado restaurant next door at the other marriott hotel; however,
the argentinan steak house next door at the other marriott was horrible
and would never go back there (we had a x-mas buffet there. it was
expensive and the food was bad quality. the restaurant also had a wierd
smell to it. the food was also quite good at the little outdoor restaurant
by the pool. the spa was the most gorgeous one that i have seen(especially the upstairs part to it.) i had a massage which was phenomenal. the workout equiptment was good as well (like the t.vs attached to the eliptical and treadmills.)
i was very sad to leave this resort and will definitely stay there again
on my next trip to cancun!!!

11  Thank horadam1
Reviewed December 28, 2004

December 17-22, 2004
The Negatives:
-This resort seems to attract mostly families with children, and this would be considered a time when most children are in school. I wouldn't mention it but it makes it very difficult to relax with all the screaming and splashing if you are a couple.
-Maintenance... The first clue was a couple of letters that were in the JW Marriott sign on the building as you come in. Our room had a few issues (thermostat didn't work and was never fixed after reporting the problem twice, shower drain was plugged, drawer did not slide easily, blown bulbs). There also seemed to be a few too many dirty windows in the public areas. Generally, there seemed to be more visible wear and tear for a few year old 5 star resort.
-Because this hotel is in the "Cancun hotel zone", every hotel must squeeze their facilities on to less acreage. Everything feels a little more congested and less spread out than hotels in the mayan riviera. You feel like you have to compete with others for space. There are fewer palm trees and they look half dead (probably because of the hurricane).
-The staff and environment is a little more "stuck up" than most hotels in the area, so you have to make more of an effort to meet people.
-The shadow cast over the main pool area... Every day after 12noon is a cloudy day for 80% of the lounging and main pool area due to the shadow that a 14 storey building casts facing north.
-Minor problems with the front desk staff... We tried to reserve a specific room (the morning of checkin) over the phone and the staff was far from accomodating. You really have to push them hard to get what you want. For some reason, the front desk staff is always a problem no matter where you go in the caribbean
-The breakfast buffet restaurant (included in our package) could not make a proper omelette (frying pans are too small).

The Positives:
-The beach and the water! Hard to beat in my opinion.
-Beautiful free form HEATED pools, one of which is an infinity pool. One pool was even warmer than the other, which is a nice touch. A heated pool is something the vast majority of Mexican hotels DO NOT have and really is essential if you visit during the winter months.
-Excellent luxury value. After extensive research, we booked through Costco Travel (buy 4 nights get the fifth night free) We paid an average rate of 143 US Dollars per night including taxes. The "entertainment-plus" card (available over the internet) gives you 2 for 1 entrees for 3 of the hotel's restaurants, plus 2 across the street, plus more if you venture out up the hotel zone strip. We ended up paying about 195 US dollars total to feed two adults for the 5 nights that we stayed at the JW Marriott. Compare 180 US Dollars per night against other luxury all-inclusives in the area (around 300 a night for two people) and this was excellent value.
-Beautiful, grand, modern, upscale, and luxurious lobby and walkways. At first I felt a little underdressed. The staff speaks almost perfect english! You don't feel like you're in Mexico, but then you walk outside and you have the tough to beat beauty of those crashing waves, powdery white sand, and beautiful shades of tropical blue water!!
-The most comfortable poolside loungechairs I have ever experienced!
-Beautiful bathrooms in the rooms! Marble and granite everwhere! Separate modern glass door shower. Very posh and similar to The Venetian's bathroom in Las Vegas.
-Nice workout, indoor pool and spa areas. Personal plasma tv's on most of the cardio machines!
-Gustino's restaurant service was phenomenal and the decor was beautiful. Food presentation was very good, but don't order the caesar salad.
-Argentinian and Thai restaurants were pretty good, Cafe Salsa was very good at lunch (when you are paying half price).
-From what I saw, the best place to stay in the hotel zone. We walked through the Ritz-Carlton and found the JW to be superior. The Ritz seems very old, traditional, and overly formal. Seems to be more the 50 plus crowd.

OVERALL: Compared to your other choices in the hotel zone, I would say the JW Marriott is the one to beat!!

• Stayed: December 2004
22  Thank slkjay
Lincroft, NJ
Reviewed December 27, 2004

We stayed at the JW for 1 week Nov 1 - Nov 7 and enjoyed the entire resort. The pool aera and beach were magnificent. We upgraded to a suite which was more than ample for our family. The restaurants on the property were perhaps some of the best in Cancun. The staff was very helpful with any of our needs. Even the taxi's were the best in town. The only place to stay in town. Last year we stayed at the Meridian which is a beautiful property and great service but the JW Marriott surpassed it. I can't wait to return next year.

8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Maryland
Reviewed December 16, 2004

My wife, 4 and 7 yr. old daughters and I stayed in room 1207 of the JW Marriott from 12/4-12/11. Reading trip reports is a pastime of mine so I've read most of the reviews of the top tier hotels in Cancun for the last 6 months or so. I felt very comfortable with my high expectations for this property and was not disappointed. My wife and a friend had just gone to the Moon Palace all-inclusive a month ago and when they came back they had had such a good time I said, "hey, let's go back and take the kids!". So my wife actually was lucky enough to be in Cancun 2x (we live in MD) in a month. She and her friend both loved the Moon Palace by the way and enjoyed the eat and drink whatever/whenever aspect of that trip. But, I digress. She described the JW Marriott as having the best service of any hotel she/we've ever stayed at. Every encounter with an employee of the hotel, whether it be the check-in clerk, the waiter on the beach or the person changing linens in the room was a pleasant experience. The room was nice- I did request a north facing room and we were 5 rooms off the beach from the wing of the hotel that abuts the beach. Great view of Cancun all the way down to the Hyatt and what used to be called the Camino Real. Pools were great, as noted in previous posts however the majority of the pools are 4' 7" deep which is over the heads of both my kids (who are just getting into swim lessons). Didn't matter though as we took arm floaties and they spent almost every waking moment either in the pools, the hot tubs (one is warmer than the other so there's a nice choice) or on the beach in the ocean. They had a BLAST! The Ocean: I love going in the surf so this beach is about as good as it gets. The water is the perfect temp yr round and there's plenty of waves. (Great to stand in neck deep water and be able to see your feet- not like the Md/DE beaches for sure). For young kids this means staying much closer in but for guys it's a blast to go out and jump waves and bodysurf. Seems as though the JW and the Ritz have the best reviews so I made a point to walk north up the beach 3 properties and check out the Ritz. Didn't go inside but the pool/beach area seem on par to me with the JW. The Ritz did however have pools with a variety of depths so I let the kids play around in the 3 foot deep pool for awhile. (Thanks, Ritz folks) Food was good at the JW- we got buffet breakfast included every morning which I'd suggest-very good and convenient. Room service is no more expensive than the prices on the menus of the in-house restaurants, no extra service/delivery charges so whereas usually we don't ever order room service we did here and really enjoyed it a couple times to mix up our dinner routine. Weather was 85 and sunny to partly cloudy every day - just perfect. We ate one night at the Argeninian Steakhouse next door at the Casa Magna and it was very good. We flew USA 3000 airlines which is Apple tours affiliate and had non-stop flights both ways which is important particularly on the homeward flight because otherwise you have to get off the plane with your luggage to go through customs etc. which is a big hassle if you can avoid it. The fights were fine with plenty of legroom for my 6'2". All in all a great trip- we're already discussing making the same trip early next December.

Ken

• Stayed: December 2004
15  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Philadelphia, PA
Reviewed December 14, 2004

I would agree with the most recent four star reviews that have been written about this resort. My husband, toddler and I stayed in a suite at the JW for the week of December 6th. While the grounds are nice and the pool is beautiful - there were areas that needed improvement. Conceirge restaurant recommendations were poor (there must be a kickback system in place). The food in all the JW restaurants was average at best (Gustino's was a huge disappointment - don't waste your time eating there!). Additionally, one afternoon, we actually had to argue with both the hostess and a waiter at Cafe Salsa to be seated outside (it had rained earlier and despite the fact that there were two other couples sitting outside, they didn't seem to want people out there as it would require more work) Also, beware - about 2/3 of the beach is gone from hurricane damage. The beach is much narrower and I was shocked during a morning walk to find all sorts of trash in the water and washed up on the sand (thankfully this one only one morning). This resort will gouge you for anything and everything ($6 is the going rate for a litre of water and a phone call to my credit card company cost $25! They even add service charges on to toll free calls! I understand making money off ammenities, but I felt like I was being taken advantage of.) Despite tipping the maids every day, our rooms were not well attended to. On the plus side, the bellmen were wonderful and the room service waiters were as well (we had a problem with one dinner and despite several calls to try to fix the problem, we were unsuccessful until a waiter that came to pick up the table left in our room by room service got involved). All in all, while this is a nice resort, it is still a Mariott and far away from being first class. (One additional warning, having Platinum status with Marriott gets you nowhere with this hotel - they could care less!) If you're going, try not to expect as much as the 5 star ratings indicate, make sure to go a supermarket or Walmart to purchase water and don't make any phone calls. The ocean is beautiful and the views from the hotel room balconies are great. Another tip - if you're looking for truly authentic Mexican food and venture down to Mercado 28 (downtown Cancun), try El Cejas. We had the best meal of our trip there for a mere $18!

15  Thank A TripAdvisor Member