“If you complain about this property...”

JW Marriott Cancun Resort & Spa
Ranked #11 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed April 16, 2014

I don't know what to tell you. I was at this property for work/fun. The beach was arguably the nicest I've ever experienced (been all over the Caribbean). Food was top notch, service was great. Staff was super helpful and went out of their way to make you feel comfortable. Area is plenty safe (you can walk around if you want to venture off the property for dinner, drinks, etc). Go to Harry's and Crab House!!!! Staff will go out of their way to make sure you feel comfortable at all times! Top notch!!

Room Tip: Buy drinks off property and bring a cooler with you. Will save you a TON of $. Housekeeping will eve...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Mic R
MarriottCancun, Hotel Manager at JW Marriott Cancun Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 24, 2014

Dear Mic R :
Thank you very much for taking the time to share with us your experience. We treasure your comments and insight.

Reviewed April 15, 2014

The room was clean, the view was good, the staff seemed to be helpful. We had a group with us that made the trip fun. The trip was good. The food at the hotel was average some of the help was friendly in offering some good places to eat and see.

Room Tip: Get the room with a view!
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Adam C

Dear Adam C:
Thank you for taking the time to connect with us and for your preference.
Warmest Regards

Reviewed April 15, 2014

This was one of the nicest vacations I have taken. The hotel and facilities are extremely clean (and you know what those in the pool and public areas can look like) and the staff is amazing. The servers around the pool knew us by name and always was happy to see and greet us. Armando, Sergio, and Miquel cared for our every need for 6 days and we felt like they were true friends.

The room was very nice and the bed exceptional. The only issue was the last night of our stay, the room was not turned down and hence there were no clean towels for the next morning. We had to call twice to get someone to bring additional towels upstairs.

The food at Gustino and Sedona Grill was okay. The Spa was excellent as was the service at the Lobby Bar.

Bottom line, best and friendliest service in Cancun!!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank RalphmL

Dear RalphmL:
I´m glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and that the facilities and service where what you expected and deserve! I will let Armando, Sergio and Miguel know about the wonderful comments that you have made in this review, I´m very sorry to read about the inconvenient with housekeeping. Our apologies for this issue Our Housekeeping Manager will personally take actions and continue training our staff.
Please come again we will be happy to welcome you.

Reviewed April 13, 2014

Nice resort but very poorly managed. I suspect in most cases this would have been a 5 experience; however, when problems occur this staff is poorly managed and without authority to resolve it.

What a complete disappointment to find a front desk staff completely void of concern for their guests. My wife, our two college student sons, and I arrived the evening of January 3, worn out and dirty after what was likely an overly ambitious three days visiting Mayan ruins. We were ready to be pampered and could not wait to unpack, shower, and unwind at what appeared to be some great onsite restaurants.

Entering our room we found that it had a king-sized bed. Our host knew we were a party of four adults so I assumed a simple error had been made. She was completely unsympathetic when I returned to the front desk and said that we could change rooms the next day. Wanting to make the best of things, I returned to the room and explained to the family that we'd change rooms the next night. We then realized that there wasn't bedding for the sofa sleeper. I made my third trip to the front desk and was assured that someone would be up to prepare our room. Wanting to get out of the way, we hurriedly left the premises in search of an appropriate place to feed four dirty travelers.

We returned to our room over an hour later and learned that the sofa sleeper was a twin. One would think that hotel staff would realize a king bed and twin sofa sleeper are not appropriate accommodations for a party of four adults (but then again this hotel staff thinks four adults sharing a king bed is acceptable).

We requested a roll away bed and were told it was coming. Hours later, around midnight, we finally gave up on the fourth bed. Since staff had not even brought bedding, I used a thin 5'x12' blanket as a sleeping bag.

Being the eternal optimist, I looked forward to seeing JW Marriott level recovery. The next day, around noon, we were finally able to check in to our room - and more important - we could finally unpack and begin the Cancun portion of our vacation. After several unsuccessful attempts to sign up for Internet service I called guest services and was assured our card on file was set up correctly and we should be able to sign up with no trouble. This led to a couple more calls and a guest services employee finally setting up services for us. That night, my wife and I planned to finally enjoy one of the properties inviting restaurant. Our sons were more interested in watching a college football game so I attempted to call out for a pizza. We couldn't dial out. Again, guest services said we should be able. I explained that we also had had difficulty signing up for Internet service so they finally dialed the number for me. It solved the immediate problem but left me knowing there would be an issue anytime I tired to charge something to our room. The boys enjoyed their pizza and my wife and I enjoyed dinner offsite - not wanting to deal with more problems related to our room charges not being accepted.

My rewards profile has a king bed preference since most my stays have been business travel. As a result, the reservation system doesn't give a 2 double bed option. (There is a drop down menu that allows a change but I had never noticed it). In spite of this, whenever I reserve a room for our group of 4, the system consistently blocks me from reserving a standard room at the Residence Inn (which limits a king room with a double sofa sleeper in the living area to parties of 3), and has consistently put our group in a room with 2 double beds whenever I reserve for 3 or 4. In this case it didn't. The JW Marriott in Cancun welcomes 4 adults who want to share one bed.

Many years ago a friend told me of moving into his stepfather's house when his mom remarried. He knew he had the right to be there - but never felt welcome. After our five nights at this property, I now understand how he felt.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Keith R
MarriottCancun, Front Office Manager at JW Marriott Cancun Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 14, 2014

Dear Keith R,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We are truly sorry your arrival was not as you had expected and we did not respond accordingly. We are training our staff to identify our guest needs and focusing in exceeding expectations. We thank you for giving us the opportunity to apologize again. As per our previous conversations please let me know when you plan to return to our beautiful property so I may personally take care of your travel needs.

Best regards,
Tania Heinze
Front Office Manager

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 13, 2014 via mobile

This hotel gave us the best service I have ever received from any resort or hotel, EVER! Hands down, they were amazing! There is not one thing I can fault. We stayed 7 days and we ate at all 3 restaurants, on site. There was not one complaint in the group. Also, the location is wonderful and you can walk to several restaurants; our favorite being the Crab Shack and Harry's.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
MarriottCancun, Hotel Manager at JW Marriott Cancun Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2014

Dear Guest:

I´m happy to hear that we exceed your expectations, staff works hardly and strive to make the stay of our guest unforgettable. Thanks again for taking the time to share it with us your experience and for your wonderful comments.
Sincerely

Manuel Magaña/ Hotel Manager

Reviewed April 12, 2014

This is a clean and nice resort. Nothing out of the ordinary but all the amenities one would expect from a JW Marriott. As expected in a Marriott please expect to pay for anything and everything.
You can ask for upgrade to Club 91 (their concierge lounge) which offers limited breakfast, lunch and dinner. We upgraded to Club 91 but despite requesting vegetarian options, there were none. The hostess in the lounge was kind enough to get us nachos for lunch. Then there were zero vegetarian options for dinner, again had to request hostess. Chef got us veggie quesadilla. It was a really nice gesture on part of the hostess. However instead of paying USD 200 per day to wait for one vegetarian option, we decided to downgrade from Club 91.
The seating at pool is limited, you need to grab a chair quickly which has umbrella as it gets really hot and bright. Private beach is really clean and nice but much activities there. All rooms are ocean view. Breakfast at Sedona Grill onsite restaurant is pricey but extensive and nice.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Nice_Girl_10

Dear Nice_Girl_10 :

We appreciate your time in sharing with us your experience, Thanks so much for your feedback and comments, our Executive chef will take action immediately. Hope we can welcome you again.

Reviewed April 12, 2014

Wedding Overview:
Invited guests:63
Guests attending: 22
Budget: $15,000, Spent: $16,700

Pre Wedding Planning: A
Francisco Roman was our assigned wedding planner, and he did a fantastic job. He helped us arrange for a small wedding group rate that didn’t require a contract, as well as planning every last detail of our event. One thing to note about all of the vendors in this area, communication back and forth by email is much slower than we are used to in the US. The JW was no exception, but you shouldn’t worry. Once the wedding drew closer, emails were much more frequent and Frank had all of the details well in hand.

Arrival: C-

The flight, arrival, and customs went pretty smooth even though we packed our favors in a box and checked as luggage. We bought a moving box from the office supply store and packed all of our welcome bags and some of our wedding decorations. We then wrapped the box and created a handle with shipping wrap. We were a little concerned customs would have an issue with it, but it was a great option for shipping our favors and welcome bags. We decided to rent a car at  Hertz and we had Gold member reservation already set up. The rental pick up was a nightmare, while it takes only a few minutes in the US, plan on at least an hour from the time you arrive at Hertz in Cancun until you get your vehicle. Also note that if you forgo the comprehensive insurance, you’ll have to agree to a $2000-3000 USD hold on your credit card for the rental. Pick up and drop off is horribly inefficient.

Check-in Process: A-
Initial check in was a breeze at the JW. While my fiance went to park the car (free self parking is included), I checked us in. There were no issues with the reservation, though they did not have us listed as a wedding couple in the reservation. Also, we were supposed to have gotten an upgraded room as per our wedding package, but this did not happen either. It’s possible there was no availability as it was spring break. All, in all it was a very easy process.

Menu Tasting: A
Many couples visit their chosen locations ahead of time for scouting and menu tasting. We were unable to do that, so we opted to have our menu tasting just after arriving to the resort. Even though it would have been too late to change anything, we wanted to see what were were going to be getting. The chef and pastry chef came out and explained all of our selections in exquisite detail. The taste was superb and the hotel serving staff put us at ease that all would go fantastically. During the tasting we met up with Frank, our wedding coordinator to go over last minute details. He had all of our emails and was more than prepared for our event.

Pre-Wedding Dinner: B-
My mother in law wanted to host a pre wedding dinner, so we selected Gustino. While the decor is elegant and the menu is sophisticated Italian, the food was bland and the service even blander. We had a party of 11, and the restaurant was mostly empty. Our servers seemed uninterested in the service and when the food came out it was pretty boring. Nothing really wrong with it, just boring and nothing special.

Beach: B
The beach was very nice and fairly well maintained. The sand is a coarser grain, but the hotel did a good job of keeping the area clean. There were lots of beach loungers and umbrellas and there always seemed to be empty ones to choose from.
 Wedding day!
Hair/Make-up: A+ I had my hair and make up trial at the salon at the JW, a few days before with Margarita. She was a miracle worker! I’m so glad I decided to get the trial done at the salon instead of in the US. I brought her a picture of a hairstyle I liked and she created a masterpiece adding her own special touches. She started working on my hair and makeup  at about 2pm and was just about finished with all at 4:15. She even worked with the florist on flowers for my hair and finding a vase for my bouquet. Once I was done, I went to my room with my mom and she helped me into my dress and jewelry.
My mom, mother in law, sister in law and niece all had their hair and makeup done by the staff of the hotel, and they were all beautiful.

Ceremony (5:30pm Beach): A
The ceremony set up was spectacular. The hotel staff made sure that all of our props (sand ceremony, vow cards etc) were beautifully arranged and the chairs were perfectly placed. We had an officiant that was fine but could have been better. We wrote out our ceremony completely so we had exactly what we wanted said.

Cocktail Party (6 pm Beach): A
Although we missed the party, our guests could not stop raving the bartender, hors d’eurves and mexican trio that we’d contracted through the hotel. We were having our pictures taken during this time.

Reception (7 pm Beach): A+
The reception set-up was gorgeous! We chose a seated dinner with three different meal options (Fish, Beef and Chicken) and it was the amazing. Everyone was raving about it even days after the wedding. We had our dance first, followed by speeches, then cutting the cake, and then dinner and dancing! Everything was great! The cake was the best wedding cake we’d ever tasted. If you do have your dancing on the beach, get a small wooden dance floor. This was a last minute addition and well worth it. Dancing in the sand would have been impossible.

Photographer: A+ We chose Juan Navarro from Juan Photos and he was fantastic to work with. We’ve just received our proofs and they are beautiful. We also did a post wedding honeymoon shoot with him instead of trash the dress and the photos were awesome. He’s super creative and his assistant Arturo was great to work with as well. We’ll see what the photo book looks like when we get it but I’m sure it’ll be fantastic.

DJ: A+ We chose DJ Mannia and they were fantastic to work with as well. They sent us a list ahead of time to go over our music likes and dislikes, along with specific songs we wanted played or not played. They followed our specs to a tee. The DJ was very chill, which is what we wanted and his English was perfect. They had a couple of cold fireworks that they lit, and it was a really nice touch.

Florist: A+ JW had us work with Blossom Wedding and Events and they were spectacular. Laura and her team really understood our style and what effect we wanted to accomplish. They did the bouquet/boutonniere, the floral arch, petal runner, cake flowers and reception centerpieces. We were able to work with her on our budget and she guided us on flowers that were a good balance of exotic and less costly ones. All in all, she made the wedding decor spectacular

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Dyserseve19:

First of all. I want to thank you for this review and for taking the time to sharing it with us and for having chosen the JW Marriott Cancun for one of the best day of your life… your wedding date.
I´m so happy no read about you wedding and that everything went perfect, I am so sorry for the delay on the car rental agency .
Thank you for the wonderful comments of the staff , Fran Roman, our certified Wedding Planner , Margarita at beauty parlor , Juan Navarro, Dj , chefs and blossom , I will let them know about the wonderful comments that you have made on this review!
I will be more than happy to welcome you again in the resort as Mr. & Mrs. . Congratulations! And thanks again for your warmest comments.