“Great Hotel”

GreenLeadersGold level
Boston, Massachusetts
“Great Hotel”
Reviewed April 2, 2014

Went here for a convention. Rooms are very clean and nice. Hotel is kept up beautifully. The weather was a bit cloudy but the beach was very open and clean. They also have a beautiful pool area. I did not get a chance to use the spa but others in our group did and were very happy with the services. I would stay here again when traveling to Cancun.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
MarriottCancun, Hotel Manager at JW Marriott Cancun Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 11, 2014
Dear toofheiper:

I´m glad you enjoyed your stay at the resort, I will let our housekeeping team know abaout the nice comments that you have made, they strive each day to make your stay unforgettable. Next time you are in Cancun I absolutely recommend to visit our World Class Mayan inspired SPA.
We are looking forward to your next trip to our Cancun resort.
Warmest Regards
Manuel Magaña / Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (968)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Antioch, Illinois
Reviewed April 2, 2014

Came for spring break and had a really great time. Rooms of course are clean, beds comfy, and temp in rooms is how you set it (in other words if you want it cold it will be). I think the resort was sold out for a few days but you never really felt it. We were on the hard rock side and yes, you can hear that resort sitting on your balcony at night. It isn't super loud. Go inside, close your door, hear nothing, so I wouldn't stress about that if that concerns you.

The reason I love this property is that the pool is big, the resort big enough and spread out enough that it doesn't feel crowded, it is a JW so it is comfy and service good, and the beach is amazing. Granted all the hotels share the beach, but put it all together and you'll have a nice time.

As others have pointed out, plan on getting up early to reserve your chairs by the pool. It takes more than towels to do so, but if you want a good pool spot do that. The hotel is in a lose/lose on this one. It is what it is.

Service overall very good. Pool guys work hard and do a good job taking care of you.

A good tip for breakfast/lunch - go eat in the gift shop/get your food there. They do made to order sandwiches for lunch (and have big salads) and have some egg sandwich options along wtih other stuff for breakfast. They do coffee drinks there too. You'll save a few (or more) bucks over ordering at the pool (granted you won't get fries with your sandwich etc but I was trying to save some calories where I could - which were replaced with alcohol :) )

There is a Mcdonalds within walking distance too FYI. Or the bus will take you anywhere on the hotel strip.

We ate the hotel breakfast (at about 35 per adult) one day. It is really a brunch buffet, and amazing. I ate too much which I guess can be the idea. If you can get it in your room rate totally worth it. Lots of variety and very well done.

They clean in the AM and do a clean/turndown in the PM which is nice.

I'll review them elsewhere, but use USA transfers to get to the hotel. Cheap and easy. They'll take you to walmart on your way to get beer/water/snacks. The hotel doesn't have a lot of fridges but the bellman told me if you don't get one they'll get you a cooler for your room. Ice is on every floor. (we got the fridge). At 6 or 8 bucks a beer you can save some money there.

Room Tip: doesn't matter I don't think. all have ocean views. If you want it quiet on your balcony l...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
4 Thank indycoltsfan
Dear indycoltsfan:

We really appreciate your time in sharing your experience with us! I´m glad you enjoyed our 3 free form pools and the " Infinity" pool specialy designed to allow for a great view of the ocean. Thank You for noticing our Beachwalk Staff, they work really hard and appreciate the recognition, also I´m glad you enjoyed our buffet in Sedona Grill our Southwestern Speciality Restaurant, next time you are in Cancun I would recommend dinner at Sedona´s we have a brand new dinner Menu. The location of the resort really allows you to acces all areas of Cancun Strip easily. It´s really nice to see you got the chance to do so!
We would love to welcome you again
Warmest Regrads
Manuel Magaña / Hotel Manager
Peapack-Gladstone, New Jersey
Reviewed April 1, 2014 via mobile

Good not great. It was kind of what I expect from a Marriott. Nice clean rooms, excellent beach, nice pools. Food was pretty decent. Service was on the slower side. Yes it's the Caribbean but still. We were here for 3 nights free for a work incentive trip and then 3 nights on our own at the Grand Velas Riviera Maya. Night and day with the GV being the kind of laid back luxury you don't want to leave. Food, service, resort just much better. I won't go back to this property as a paying customer but it's a nice place and many would be very happy here.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Dear John V :

Thank you so much for taking the time to let us know about your experience. Rest assure all plans are in place to improve on every area of our resort. I appreciate your Feedback and we will be delighted to have you back and create a memorable experience should you give us this oportunity.
Best Regards
Manuel Magaña/ Hotel Manager
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed March 31, 2014

My wife and I just returned from a wonderful 10 day stay at the JW Marriott in Cancun. We upgraded to the Club 91 floor which I highly recommend (includes very good breakfast, ok lunches, open bar from 6-10 and decent enough dinner selections). The Adult pool area was really good with the very best lounge chairs I have seen (much better than the other pool area). Only drag was you need to get up early to snag one of these chairs in a good location. Pool side service was timely and very friendly. On site restaurants were fine (including the adjacent Marriot Magna Casa) with Gustino's and the Thai restaurant standing out. The Puerto Madero restaurant just down the street was excellent. Our room was spacious enough with a nice sized balcony (Club 91 is on the top floor with the largest balconies). Room cleaning was well done and offered 2X a day with turn down service in the evenings. Service in Club 91 was outstanding. Really, an overall excellent place to stay - we will be going back next year.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Bob S
Providence, Rhode Island
Reviewed March 31, 2014 via mobile

A major upsetting issue here is available chairs by pool are few and far- between!! Guests are allowed to put towels on chairs to reserve and some guests never use the chairs for entire day - other resorts place time limits...this should be enforced!! Is is unfair to other paying guests! Otherwise, this resort is gorgeous and staff amazing - cabana rentals are worth every penny!!

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Chicago
Reviewed March 30, 2014 via mobile

My wife, 21 month old son and I stayed at the JW Marriott the first week of March. I read a bunch of reviews on this hotel and was kind of hesitant at first to stay here. I can tell you a lot of the negative reviewers were being to picky. We have stayed at a lot of 5 and 4 star hotels and I would give this hotel a 4.5.

Let me start off with the pros of this resort:
1) Fast and easy check-in. We were guaranteed the room we asked for and the room was ready when we got there at 12:30pm. We had also asked to have organic milk for our son, which they gave us a carton in our room free of charge.

2) we had breakfast for two included in our stay, I highly recommend this option (reserved with AAA discount). It was buffett and fed our child and us. If you paid for the buffet it was $55 per couple each day, so we saved a bunch of money there, to splurge on other areas of the hotel.

3) We woke up every morning at 6:30am due to our son, but when done with breakfast we went straight to the pool. We stayed over by the kids pool, which was never that crowded. Our son loved the kids pool since it was very shallow and warmer then other pool areas. People complained on trip advisor about people reserving chairs or not enough chairs; trust me there was always an empty chair and in great spots of the pools. The service at the pool was at times slow, but never felt the need to complain about it. Daniel was our favorite waiter, he always remember our name and our son enjoyed giving him a fist pump. The service was definitely faster when Daniel was around.

4) Food by the pool or at the pool restaurant was pretty good. It definitely was pricey, but I expected that coming from a JW, which I have experienced before. If you don't plan to splurge on vacation, the. This hotel might not be the best hotel for you, maybe an all inclusive could be a better option, which my wife and I hate. The portions for lunch were pretty decent. We would sometimes share the shrimp tacos, hummus plate, salsa and guacamole and that was plenty for all 3 of us. The drinks were really good as well. My wife enjoyed her Cadillac margarita.

5) Bellmen were very helpful when asked where to eat or walk to. They would make recommendations as well as reservations if you wanted.

Cons:
1) The only complaint was the rooms. They were never cleaned thoroughly. We sprayed our sunblock standing in the tub and could see the grease marks were still there after they cleaned the room. The shower door was broken, and did not close all the way. One time we came back from being at the pool and the room smelled like smoke, possibly from someone on another balcony floor leaking into our room. We were in a non-smoking floor and room. This was probably our only complaint of the trip.

I would definitely come back again. It was in a great location within walking distance to a lot of restaurants. We also met other families with kids there, who were all super nice.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank ChicagoSpineDoc
Hampton, New Hampshire
Reviewed March 29, 2014

We just finished 6 days at the JW in Cancun, and could not have been any better!
Fantastic service with a smile, perfect white beach, our room was wonderful, I cannot say enough great things. Cant wait to go back!

Room Tip: We had a high room looking over the adult pool for more quiet.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple