“Great Pool but Beds and Concierge Could Be Better” 5 of 5 bubbles

JW Marriott Cancun Resort & Spa
Ranked #12 of 181 Hotels in Cancun
GreenLeadersGold level
A TripAdvisor Member
“Great Pool but Beds and Concierge Could Be Better”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2004

The JW Marriott has beautiful grounds and the best pool. Be prepared to pay for the high quality service, prices here for simple things like water or a phone call can quickly add up. I thought the hotel service was good, but I felt like I was at a cheap restaurant they way everyone tries to upsell you. The concierge service here was disappointing, if you ask for a personalized recommendation for a restaurant the concierge will hand you a generic hand out with all the most touristy restaurants. Here is a quick summary of the pros and cons:

Pros: Infinity Pool is excellent, great beach, thoughtful room design.
Nice gym.

Cons: Expensive extras including a $4 phone fee to connect even if you are using a calling card! Hard beds.

Tips: The pool people can book reservations at the Marriott restaurants and give you a 15% discount (no one told us until the last day). Bring lots of $1 bills for tips. Don't be one of those irritating guests that set a towel out on a chair at the pool and then leave for several hours.

8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (943)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2004

As a travel professional, I loved everything about this property. The only thing that I hated were the beds. For 600 plus dollars a night, one would expect a bed that is comforatble, not at the JW Cancun. The bed was hard, inflexable which caused me to sleep on the sofa that was in the room. Dont get me wrong this is a nice property and once they figure out the bed issue is detracting guests, it'll be a true, first rate property. I did bring the bed issue to the attention of the staff and the response was "yes, we are working on that" and "we have heard that before". Stay at the Casa Magna, next door (marriott) or the Ritz Carlton a few doors down untill the bed situation is worked out.

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2004

After staying at the Ritz & Grand Coral, supposedly the best, we found the JW to be the best overall for its beautiful grounds and amazing inifinity pool. We tipped an employee who secured our chaises in a perfect location each day, steps from the fabulous infinity pool and with an unobsured view of the ocean, the best of both. Service was a little better/faster at the Ritz, but the rooms and overall hotel experience of the JW were better. The bathrooms are large & nice. The poolside restaurant had good food and great views. Would be my first choice if visiting Cancun again.

10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2004

We were just so amazed at everything about this hotel. You wont find better service on any vacation. There was always a friendly face to assist in any way possible. Out twice daily maid service and generous towel allotment was unusual. The daily pool buffet had much variety of items other than Mexican food and the the outdoor restaurant had wonderful salads and additional menu items. We felt completely pampered with the staff and then we experienced the spa. It was so clean and luxurious. I particularly liked the cucumber slices and the ice cold hand clothe for my eyes while in the sauna. The showers overlooking the beach were quite wonderful as was the massage I received from Rojilio.
My boyfriend and I used the health club daily and enjoyed the juice bar afterwards. The location was great and the pool never felt crowded. We were always able to get our favorite beach chair even at 11:00 AM which is not typical of any other beach vacation we have had. The hotel food was also most excellant. I would love to return here and know that that statement from two highly discerning inviduals is not made lightly. It is well worth whatever the cost was.

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2004

We stayed at the JW Marriott on Feb 15, 20, 21, and 22. This was our first time in Cancun. My sister and I were in awe of how beautiful and what wonderful service was at this hotel. There was a bellboy in particular that was extremely nice to us, however, I didn't catch his name, for I thought it was Gary but my sister claims that I am incorrect. We were very fortunate to have complications with our original vacation plans at an all-inclusive in the Mayan Rivieria and therefore, we were bumped to this hotel. We loved it so much that when we heard the resort was offering guests to stay at the JW Marriott towards the end of our stay, we were more than willing to return to this wonderful hotel, where the staff remembered us from our first day of stay 4 days ago, and greeted us with wonderful service. My sister and I didn't want to leave and would love to go back again.

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
san francisco
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2004

The beach and pool area were perfect for kids!!! The pool always warm, huge warm not hot tub was perfect as a kiddie pool. Playground was located near the kids club and always open. We actually switched are room to have access to the playground set, and a flat enclosed grassy area . The menu was reasonable and kid friendly. You can leave you kids in the kids club (any age) for four dollars per hour. The front desk will know nothing about it or the playground!!!! You need to go directly to the woman in th kids club area. Almost nobody does the all day $60.00 kids club program, so she mainly jusy babysits and keeps the kids in the playroom/playground area. She only takes them to the beach if you ask. She watched my 2,3, and 5 year old and it was great. I actually looked at the Le Meridian-Huge cold pool, not child friendly and super small, and the ritz-nice but the Marriot was less expensive and much nicer . The beach are at the marriot was the cleanest and flatest out of the whole strip of hotels. The rooms were standard but when you arrive he will upgrade you to a suite for much less thar advertised if you feel to cramped. It was perfect for our family and I am very picky!!!!

• Stayed January 2005, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
10 Thank tzn
Salt Lake City, UT
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2004

This was our first trip to Cancun and we also booked our travel very last minute through Priceline on 1/30/04. I have stayed at the JW Desert Ridge and knew that these higher end Marriott's were nice, and I certainly wasn't dissappointed. The pool and fitness center are awesome. The best part in my opinion is that the hotel appears to cater to large business groups, and thus you generally have the run of the place while all these guests are in their morning meetings and afternoon activities. The rooms were nice with the bathroom being exceptional with seperate shower/tub with nice tile. The balconies were nice with a great view of the coastline to the South. For the price the room itself was good, not great, but missing the usual differences seen when paying that much for a hotel room. This hotel does not charge for purchasing pesos and provides a fair exchange rate. The other highlight was the doorman Manuel. He is AWESOME, and take the time to ask his opinion of things to do for where ever it is your traveling. By the way we rented a car during our stay and were happy we did. Drove to Tulum & Chicen Itza with no issues. FYI the toll road to Itza is $20USD each way and very sparse travel. The road to Tulum has a greater amount of traffic, and for the most part a total dissregard for any road rules. A few other things from a Cancun first timer to anyone else going for the first time. Be careful where ever you are paying cash US or Pesos some merchants will short change you, avoid driving in downtown Cancun at night - few street signs and worse than New York City, when purchasing fuel always watch them pump the gas so they do not try to have you pay for the previous cars gas and yours, have lots of change or small bills because everyone wants a tip. You will realize this the minute you step out the doors at the airport. Despite these learning experiences we had a phenominal trip and loved the hotel and the hotel zone. Spent my last morning swimming in the ocean and walking on white sand, only to get back home to brushing white snow off my car.

• Stayed February 2004