“Wonderful hotel!”

Ranked #12 of 175 Hotels in Cancun
GreenLeadersGold level
“Wonderful hotel!”
Reviewed August 24, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for a week, and found the service, amenities, and facilities to be superb. . The decor of the halls, rooms, and lobby are very warm and inviting. We stayed in the double guest room with an ocean view (not beachfront) with a private balcony, all very spacey and sufficient for a medium sized family. The bathroom was equally big, and had a glass shower that was separate from the bathtub, which was awesome. I found the beds to be very comfy.

What was really wonderful was the hotel pool. The Infinity Pool offers stunning views of the ocean, and the atmosphere is so serene and quiet. There are also soothing jacuzzis and an adults only area with a wet bar. You can rent a floating mattress for 100 pesos-it's really relaxing to lay on the mat and float around the pool. Also, you can order from one of the hotel's restaurants, Beachwalk, and eat poolside. We really enjoyed the hotel pool and jacuzzis-you can spend a whole day there,just lounging by the pool. (There also is a spa on the fourth floor, and indoor pool that is adults only. We did not try the spa.)

The restaurants in the hotel are lovely, with sublime service. There are also more options next door in CasaMagna Marriott, since the two hotels are connected. The breakfast buffet in Sedona Grill offered a variety of breakfast and brunch foods of all cuisines, especially Mexican food, such as tamales, chimichangas, refried beans, and fried plaintains. Eggs and omelets are cooked to order.

Service at JW was wonderful. Everyone working there was very hospitable, understanding, and helpful. They have turndown service every evening, which was quite a plesant surprise. We were really pleased with the service at the hotel.

If you are going to Cancun, I really recommend you staying at this beautiful hotel.

Room Tip: Jewelry and clothing stores, souvenir shop/cafe in lobby Rooms on higher floors offer best ocean v...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Iris W

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (989)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Warrenton, Missouri
Reviewed August 23, 2013

One week before our trip we changed our reservations to the JWCRS. So glad we did. You will be able to put your mind at ease and not worry about worn accommodations and lackluster service. EVERYTHING was great! We had our 3 and 18 month old with us for a week and the staff were so helpful. They understood our needs. The restaurants were great! We tried all. The Sedona Grill was awesome. For an experience treat yourself to Gustino. After every meal they would tell us it was their pleasure. Gifts shops were pricey, but that's how it goes. There was a 7-11 and oxxo store across the hwy. On our way back from the La Isla shopping our taxi driver took us to La Europa for the best deals on wine and hard liquor. Right next door is where my husband bought his cigars. The gym here is amazing. It was a must have on my list.
This was a no worry experience for a VERY particular family. It was our pleasure to have such a great vacation.

Room Tip: 11th floor Caribbean Suite corner. 2 balconies overlooking pools and ocean.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed August 20, 2013

I don't have anything bad to say, but don't really have anything good to say either. It's just a bit beige really.

Pool area is uninspiring with not much going on. Not saying that I want techno music pumping and party games or anything, but a bit of atmosphere wouldn't go astray.

Rooms are typical business hotel style, beds decent, bathroom fine. Could be anywhere really.

Restaurants are standard 4 star Mexican hotel fare. Asian, Sports Bar, Italian... Yawn.

If you enjoy the tv show Frasier, this is probably the hotel for you.
If not, try somewhere else.

Room Tip: Ocean View is the obvious choice.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Matt C
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed August 19, 2013

Everything was wonderful here from the first minute to the last! It is smack dab in the middle of the hotel zone and across the street from Aquaworld if you plan to do any activities. They also have their own scuba training pool and divemaster on-site! Prices may be higher than you can find elsewhere but when you have limited days in paradise, we didn't want to waste time shopping around and opted to pay the (small) premium for convenience.

You'll laugh, but the bathrobes are one of my favorite things here (I am talking in present tense to avoid the onset of post-vacation depression syndrome) as they are the perfect mix of softness and absorbency.

Their infinity pool is an experience in and of itself and you'll spend hours soaking up views of the sea from it's edge. The room service is great, and the caliber of staff is above anything we expected--try the classic burger! The only food complaint is that they don't have a bigger selection of natural drinks by the pool...it's not that hard to use fresh fruit in a pina colada or a margarita but they can make drinks with strawberries if you ask.

Our premium ocean view from the 7th floor was perfect, and I imagine as low as the 4th floor would have been acceptable though obviously higher is better.

I fought with myself the whole trip over the Club 91...and didn't end up doing it. As you can add it as a service to your room, I would add for the first and the last day in Cancun to get the transportation to the airport that is complementary. The cost is $100 per room per day and it covers two adults and two children. As we didn't do it, we ate two big meals per day for about $50, and lost some weight on the trip which is always nice :) There are no restaurants for the locals around, so don't think you'll get out spending less than this. We also stopped at a grocery for our own bottle of tequila and snacks for the fridge, but we drove in from Playa del Carmen so this may not be an option for you.

The bathrooms are set up with separate tub, shower, and WC as well as dual sinks so you'll never find yourself fighting to get in. This is great for couples or for a family, and are among the best I've seen in a 5 star hotel anywhere in the world.

Signing up for activities through Aquaworld is not a bad deal, and of course they'll give you better prices if you're looking at multiple activities.

This was my first time redeeming Marriott Rewards points and I cashed in 140,000 of my hard earned points from practically living at Marriotts this year. Don't forget that the 5th night is free when you redeem and keep in mind this was a discounted rate as we were in a storm/off season. We paid for this with two days of storm, so--there ya go.

I'll definitely stay here again, but swipe my robey next time :P

Room Tip: Opt for a room above the 4th floor with a premium ocean view overlooking the infinity pool, not Casa...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Livermore, California
Reviewed August 19, 2013

The JW Marriott Cancun is a beautiful resort on a beautiful beach. The service at the hotel was over the top fantastic. I've never had such attentive pool side service at any hotel. I was definitely impressed. There are several pools to choose from, including one with a swim up bar. The rooms were clean and the beds were very comfortable. We enjoyed the room view, which looked over the pool and ocean. The deck is enclosed, so we were able to sit outside and enjoy room service during a downpour. It was lovely, I would go back. The only negative thing I can say about it is that food and beverage at this resort is very expensive. However, that being said, don't skip the margarita with a cucumber slice at the bar - it's extremely refreshing. Also, the spa is AHMAZING, as is the indoor pool. The indoor pool was empty, I don't think many people think to visit it when in such a beautiful beach location, but it's definitely worth a peek!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank islandfix
Reviewed August 17, 2013 via mobile

I have stayed at various hotels in Cancun and Playa del Carmen. This is my favorite hotel in the hotel zone. If you plan on staying at the Ritz-Carlton just down the street stay here instead. I have stayed at both and this hotel is nicer.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Italianjew
Palos Heights, Illinois
Reviewed August 14, 2013

The JW Marriott Cancun Resort and Spa was a good choice for an overnight, pre-flight stay. My husband and I chose to book one night at the JW Marriott Cancun since we had a long transfer from tiny unspoiled Holbox; check in for our international flight was in late morning so spending one last night in the bustling concrete jungle of Cancun was almost a necessity.

The JW Marriott Cancun Resort and Spa is a spiffy chain hotel that could be found in any city; it is very big, filled with marble and glass, a large lobby and impressive floral arrangements. In the JW Marriott Cancun's public areas, for some odd reason the hotel sports many bronzes of non-Mexican animals ala big game found in the USA and Africa. The bronzes are beautiful yet puzzling considering this hotel is in Mexico, not Wyoming or Kenya. In fact, there was very little Mexican flavor to be found in this hotel located in the heart of sunny tropical Mexico! Oh well. The hotel is well-appointed and comfortable. On all occasions, staff members my husband and I dealt with exhibited polished professional service plus were very accommodating and polite.

We particularly liked the Club 91 Lounge that offered an always changing assortment of petite tasty bites for breakfast, lunch, dinner, afternoon tea and an extended cocktail hour. They like to have well fed guests at the Club Lounge! It was easy to eat one's fill of the excellent, varied food offerings at the roomy Club lounge. In fact, we noticed quite a few couples and family groups partaking of the ample array of delicious little dishes available for their evening meals. Each night of the week one of the hotel's many restaurants prepares the Club 91 Lounge food offerings, lending appetizing variety for guests staying more than one night. A selection of scrumptious cookies is also available to take back to one's room for an after dinner snack. For the two of us, upgrading to the Club Level was a good decision for our brief stay. Frankly I enjoyed the food and dining experience much more at the Club lounge than I did in the downstairs Italian restaurant, Gustino Italian Grill; I thought the restaurant was stuffy as well as pretentious with silver domes placed on dishes brought to the table. We also gave high marks to the concierge service at the Club 91 Lounge. Both of the staff who assisted my husband and me at check in as well as on the morning we left were competent, friendly, helpful and efficient.

Desiring an unobstructed view of the ocean we chose a Grand Oceanfront Suite as our accommodation. The suite sports even more marble and glass---ie, there is not a great deal of Mexican style to be found anywhere at this hotel---with a stellar 180-degree view of the ocean. Two balconies, one with a dining table and four chairs are included with this room. Bedding was ultra-comfortable; linens were crisp and clean. There is a huge living room but we really did not use that due to the brevity of our stay. A full bath plus a 1/2 bath are in the suite. Overall, our accommodation was a lovely room albeit one a traveler would find at any JW Marriott hotel around the world.

Waves were churned up, creating a soothing white noise during our stay. Fortunately the waves drowned out the racket of rental wave runners (sea-dos) that were racing about below our tenth floor room. I prefer looking at the sea and sky rather than concrete stretching toward the horizon but if one becomes bored with the play of light upon the waves, there is a constant parade of small aircraft trailing banners urging one to "Drink at Senor Frog's" or some such advertisement plus one can watch the nonstop procession of paragliders zip past all day long. Sigh...it's so very built up, congested and busy in Cancun.

Since our visit was so brief, neither of us used the beach nor checked out hotel beach services. Peering down at the beach from our room all looked well kept but beach chairs were placed very close together. It looked crowded from on high.

The hotel offered a van airport transfer that was on time. The cost was a reasonable US $16 per person.

There was no sunset view from our room. However, if you are an early riser, sunrises are available for your viewing pleasure.

If visiting in mid-July, be on the lookout for nesting sea turtles on the beach in front of the JW Marriott Cancun Resort and Spa as well as other Cancun hotels. When darkness fell, my husband and I sat on our porch. I noticed several sea turtles trying to make their way toward the shore from the surf. That's when I noticed there were sea turtles up and down the sandy beach laboring to dig their nests and lay eggs. With one exception the few hotel guests that were observing the sea turtles on the beach in front of our hotel were very respectful, giving the beautiful turtles a great deal of space. Phoning reception to alert them the turtles were laying eggs on the heavily used, busy beach, the front desk person I spoke to said, "Thank you. I'll notify the Turtle Team immediately." It was not long before volunteers from the Turtle Team were on hand, explaining the natural history of the sea turtles as well as collecting turtle eggs to be reburied in newly excavated nests on more secluded, undisturbed beaches. I hope you will also be gifted with this miracle of nature. According to hotel staff, many of the Cancun hotels participate in the Turtle Team nest monitoring. Three cheers for the Turtle Team for helping give wildlife a break!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple