“A wonderful resort, in so many ways! 4.5 stars!”

JW Marriott Cancun Resort & Spa
Ranked #11 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed August 4, 2013

The JW Marriott Cancun resort & Spa bills itself as a 5 star resort - and it really is, with just a few shortcomings that are barely worth mentioning.

We recently booked a Junior Suite that connected to an ocean view double room, so that my wife & I could vacation with out 2 teenage daughters & my mother-in-law. The rooms were really great - marble bathrooms w/double sinks, great beds, nice balconies, large flat screens, the suite had a 2 head shower and a great seating area, etc. But, let's just say that the tubs were not 5 star caliber, and the pull out couch in the suite was not suitable for sitting - and definitely not for sleeping. These little things did not bother us at all, but they were noticed.

The lobby & restaurants were all very good, as were those at the adjoining Marriott Casa Magna resort. The concierge was extremely helpful on many occasions, as were the bellmen, and the front desk had a great exchange rate for getting Pesos. We also particularly liked the convenience store, which had anything that you might want or need, from 6am until 10pm. The Ritz Carlton didn't have a store like this, and it swayed our decision to stay at the JW, (sometimes, you just don't want a big breakfast or lunch - or a minibar priced bottle of water)

Of course, most of our time at the JW was spent at the pool. The pool is absolutely wonderful! I worked out at 6am every morning in the best hotel gym that I have ever seen. And when I was finished, I went to the pool to reserve our 5 spots. By 7am, many spots were already reserved, but we managed to get a great spot every day. Queni the pool guy was always helpful. The pool itself was very clean, and the waiters were polite & efficient - without being on top of you all day long. The food & drinks by the pool were perfect.

Overall, I'd give the staff of the JW Marriott 5+ stars, the facility itself 5 stars, and attention to detail about 4 stars. If you are worried about price, its probably not a great idea to go to Cancun at all, because it is a tourist zone and every product & service gets their high price. But if you are comfortable about that going into the situation, Cancun is a wonderful place to vacation with the family, as a couple, or by yourself! And, it can works for many different budgets. My family would definitely return to the JW Marriott again!

Room Tip: The resort restaurants are great - and ask the concierge for a list of off-property restaurants
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank BmoreBurke

Reviewed August 2, 2013

We stayed here in June 2013. We met some amazing American couples and had a fantastic time in Club 91. It is definitely worth the upgrade. Some of the food got a little redundant at lunch, but it was still good. We also loved the nachos at the pool bar.

Overall the hotel was beautiful, clean, staff was super nice and helpful.

The pools were beautiful and clean as well, plus the ocean just steps away and very nice showers to clean off.

We walked the beach looking for turtles every night too!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sar m
Reviewed August 1, 2013

We just returned from this property. We stayed July 21-July 27, the pool and beach views were beautiful, the service at the pool was great, especially Carlos our cabana host for much of the week. The one negative I had about the property ....was it was entirely way to quiet, it was myself, my husband and 12 year old son.....some music by the pool, with some fun activities for all would have been nice. I have also decided that I think Cancun, is just not as it use to be. I much prefer the areas south, Playa Del Carmen, much prettier, lush, etc. It is rather expensive, but on course with all other non all inclusive resorts at beach destinations. If you would like a fun night out for dinner for the whole family, take a trip to downtown Cancun and visit La Parrilla, entertaining and great food. Also if you want a very nice dinner out while on vacation, Harry's Prime not far from the hotel was simply amazing.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank wdm73
Reviewed July 31, 2013

Our family of 4 stayed at the JW Marriott for 10 days in July. The hotel was very nice and the pools and beach were perfect. The service by the pool for drinks and food was great as well. It is a quiet hotel compared to some of the others, but still very convenient - the bus stop was right in front and only took maybe 5 minutes to get to downtown. My kids were only interested in swimming as much as possible on days we weren't doing excursions so this hotel fit the bill for us. The staff is very accommodating as well. I loved our very large balcony - had a little issue getting our requested room with 2 double beds but with some persistence they found a room for us. I would definitely stay here again. It looks like what paradise is supposed to. Much preferred this hotel over it's neighbor the Hard Rock. Can't say enough good things! It's not all inclusive but we weren't really interested in that so it was fine. A couple more restaurant choices would be nice but we really did enjoy just eating at the one by the pool so we could enjoy the view and take a break while swimming. Can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: I know the 3rd floor view is very obstructed due to the palm trees- we stayed on the 4th and it was...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Colie2013
Reviewed July 31, 2013

Stayed here in February 2013 for a conference. Was gorgeous. Beautiful views. Loved the bar area. Restaurants were great. Beach was amazing. Next time I go I will likely go to Playa del Carmen or Riviera Maya but if I stay in Cancun I will definitely stay at JW.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank dorbeas
Reviewed July 31, 2013

The hotel is beautiful and the grounds are wonderful. The adult only pool is very tranquil and made for a relaxing stay. The rooms, while not true JW caliber, are more than acceptable for such a touristy locale.

The staff is very nice but I was knocked off my feet by how horrible the management of this property are. Very unhelpful, very unaccomidating (especially to a top Tier Marriott Platinum member) and, in no way are willing to be flexible or warm. I had horrid experiences with Selinia (the manager of Club 91)--- avoid this unprofessional staffer like the plague (seriously) and the front office management team (eg Miguel-- who truly doesnt care) just doesn't understand how to go above and beyond-- eg refusing to comp a $50 airport transfer TO the property (paid by me to the JW) after enrolling in Club 91 after arrival-- which is supposed to cover round trip airport transport. Very sloppy treatment for someone who stays 100+ nights a year with Marriott--- very indicative of the nickel and diming that goes on here for even the most loyal of guests.

While I love the property, I would discourage MR loyalists from expecting any special treatment at thus property. If anything, you will leave relaxed, but enraged by how unspecial the management of this hotel make you feel. This was a first for me at a JW, and I met two other Plats who shared the same frustration.

Room Tip: Request a high floor, pay for club 91
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank MarriottChiGuy
MarriottCancun, Public Relations Manager at JW Marriott Cancun Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2013

We are sorry that your first impression with our hotel was of this kind. Airport transportation is provided by a third party so we have to follow all the established clauses with that company. However, since you are still in our property we are glad to review your request and come to a mutual agreement. We hope you enjoy the rest of your stay.

Reviewed July 31, 2013

The hotel is beautiful and well positioned in the Zona Hotelera. Surroundings are quiet and you can reach easily commercial (I recommend La Isla Mall) and entertainment areas by bus. It comes very often, at any hour, it’s cheap and safe.

On the other side of the main road there are nice restaurants. I liked Puerto Madero, Savio’s Bistro, Captain’s Cove. There’s also a 7/11 and a Mc with free wifi (free wifi at near by Hard Rock Hotel too).

Rooms are big, nice and clean. I think every one has sea view (the higher you stay the better). Breakfast is amazing; there’s also a small shop inside where they prepare on the spot good food (it has drinks too, including Starbucks products).

Pool area is beautiful, beach and water incredible (loved the color of sand and water). Service on the beach is perfect, food & drinks excellent, towels, long chairs, umbrellas included.

There’s a passage connecting JW to Casa Magna, so you feel like you’re staying at 2 hotels at a time. From what I’ve seen my 1st choice among them is definitely JW.

For a trip I recommend Chichen Itza (travel agency in the hotel) and Isla Mujeres.

Room Tip: Higher floors have better view
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple