“Great for 2 night stay on points.”

JW Marriott Cancun Resort & Spa
Ranked #11 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed May 15, 2011

We spent 4 nights next door at the Casa Magna Marriott and then moved to the JW for our last two nights. Our room was perfect with a full ocean view overlooking the adult pool.
The bathroom had a bath and separate shower, double sinks and was bigger than average.

Everything was very clean but I'm sure there was a lingering smell of smoke when the ac was off.

The pools are great but were more crowded than at the casa Magna CM (perhaps because we switched hotels are the start of spring break and) .

Unlike at the CM we had to get up early to find a decent spot near the pool at the JW. Some guests were up at the crack of dawn to reserve beds and it was obvious that others tipped the pool staff to reserve the prime spots with towels as soon as they started work (about 7am I think).

We didn't eat here but can recommend FRed's Seafood grill and Market across the road. Excellent mojitos and really good fish!

1  Thank butterfly63

Reviewed May 5, 2011

I have had better stay's at a Marriott Courtyard before waiting 30 minutes to check in for what was described as a deluxe ocean view room for $299.00 that I booked directly via the Marriott.com website. When I finally got the sweaty & rude front desk agent tell me my room type was sold out BUT for only $ 95 more I could get what I booked but it had to be on their over rated club 91 floor, I objected and ended up in a double room facing the family pool with children screaming all day. For the Marriott to put it's famous JW signature on this property is a disgrace. I am not the type of person who travels to a hotel to make friends with the hotel staff in yhe hopes tbat they will make me a strong margarita, I also had some cash stolen from my room, this is so beyond frustrating because tbe manager on duty would not let me fill out a report. I walked to their corporate offices in the hotel and left word for tbe GM to call me and that never happened. Use the safe for any and everything!!! Theft at a Marriott is not just particular to Mexico either it has happened in Aruba as well and when you cannot feel safe leaving your personal
items in your room EVEN with the DND sign on the door that's upsetting .
has

• Stayed: May 2011
7  Thank aypapee
Reviewed May 2, 2011

I'll keep this as brief as possible. Stayed 5 nights end of April. The property is very nice, very clean and very well laid out. The pool area is amazing - only a couple negatives, 1) no swim up bar (I guess that's more of an AI thing though), and 2) I can't stand the fact nobody enforces the 2-hour rule for "reserving" chairs in the shade. Every morning by 7 a.m. all the good chairs were taken. Bummer. Staff and hotel are a 4.5 star in my book however. Beach area is awesome. My only complaint, and its minor, the sheets and bedding as well as our towels just didn't smell "fresh". Had a stale smell to them. Might just be the ocean humidity. Overall would stay here again without a doubt. Hope to return in 2 years!

2  Thank priorlake
Reviewed April 30, 2011

The JW Marriott is simply outstanding in all respects and vastly exceeded our expectations. I have been trying to think of a negative and it just does not exist. The staff could not have been more friendly or accomodating. The hotel is absolutely spotless and from a design standpoint beautiful. The food at the hotel was excellent. We ate at Giustino's the first evening as we did not want to venture out and it was fantastic. Beautiful atmosphere, wonderful service, and amazing food. We did pay extra for club 91. We were on the top floor with an ocean view and ate breakfast and lunch at the Club 91 facility on the floor every day which was included with our room. For that matter you could eat dinner there as they do an amazing food presentation every night. There are snacks, coffee and tea all day long, and the concierge staff at the club will do anything to make you happy. Included with Club 91 is a first rate transfer to and from the hotel. I emailed the Club before I left and a first rate transfer was waiting for us at the airport when we arrived.

The rooms were incredibly comfortable. The views were mind boggling. We had turn down service every night, but then again we tip housekeeping. Our kids loved the beach and the pool. The adult section was also a pleasure. The ocean does have strong currents but there were two hotel life guards keeping close watch on everyone and making sure you stayed within a designated area. It is similar to many ocean beaches on the East coast. If you are used to Jones in NY, or Rhode Island/Massachusetts ocean beaches it is the same. Just exercise caution.

They gym was wonderful and again spotlessly clean and the spa service was first rate.
The hotel is not walking distance to the center of town where Coco Bongo and all the action is but quite frankly we did not want to be in the midst of that. It is an inexpensive and short cab ride to the club area and a thirty minute cab ride to El Centro which is the real city outside the hotel zone. If you love restaurants like we do check out Harry's, la Habichuela. Lanzanillos, and Purto Madera all wonderful settings for a meal and very good to excellent food.

The JW Marriott is more on the quiet side as a large resort goes, but we were there to relax and be pampered and that's what we got.

4  Thank lal522
Reviewed April 29, 2011

We stayed in March for 6 days to Casa Magna right next door and we tried for 1 night the JW to see which one to choose on our next vacations. I must say we got for our stay the same rate on both properties per night with breakfast included, double ocean view room, which actually on both properties is a partial view, if you want the front ocean one, you have to pay extra.
The lobby is really impressive, all marble, immaculate. The room are decent size, nice amenities, the difference between the 2 hotel rooms is that you have carpet all round the room in JW instead of carpet and marble in Casa Magna and maybe more attention to details in JW.
The problem is that everything costs more than in Casa Magna, and here i am talking about food and drinks. Consider to pay more than 40% more in JW for the same services and quality.
Avoid Gustino's at all costs, terrible food but great service. I wrote a separate review about it in the restaurants area.
Anyway, to conclude, if you are willing to spend more and maybe to have a little bit more luxury, than go for the JW, for my next vacation to Cancun I am going to choose Casa Magna.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank dumid
Reviewed April 26, 2011

Not only is this a Five Diamond property with incredible grounds, an amazing pool, in front of one of the world's best beaches, but the staff are caring and attention. We let them know ahead of time that we had a celiac in the family, and our stay was completely worry free! The Executive Sous Chef, Dominic Esposito, contacted us and told us not to worry, and he was right! From the gluten free pancakes to the incredible GF meals and desserts, he and his staff made sure that I was taken care of. It was really kind of incredible. And the food was DELICIOUS. So if you go to Cancun, and have any food issues, in my view there is no where else to stay.
The only possible negative thing I could say is that we had an ocean front suite on the club level floor at the JW. So it was one of their nicer rooms but the carpet was old, frayed at the edges and I constantly tripped over the tall rubber bumper separating the lovely marble bath from the bedroom (which I why I gave the room 4 out of 5). There should have been a marble threshold there. Also, the pull out sofa was only a double so it was a little cramped for a 10 and 8 yr old. And there were NO comfy chairs to sit in other than the dining chairs and tiny couch. Other Marriott properties have really nice club chairs but this Marriott has really deep chairs with wood arms, that you can only balance on the front of. Anyway, other families thinking about the suite might want to think about two adjoining rooms. If you plan to have an active vacation and not hang out in the room (where you need the living space of a suite), it might be more comfortable. Also I didn't give the top mark for cleanliness because they didn't vacuum our room while we were there-which I thought was a little strange.
But in the end, none of those things really mattered because the service was so over the top. You can see hotel photos of the JW and Casa Magna on the Marriott website. It seems there is a central structure that serves both hotels so you would probably be fine at either one, but the pool at the JW is one of the nicest I've ever seen. It was truly great, Chef Esposito and his crew were amazing, and we can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: oceanfront rooms are worth it.